Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
d[-.-]b
Aug 1, 2004

my fav champ that hero who cats a spell that make all bad guy fall down and say my dick BIG
Holy poo poo. I just watched Kanye's performance of Power on SNL. He loving killed it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

SHINEBLOCKA posted:

no i was responding to the idea that "we," which I took to mean "we as a culture" ask entertainers to be humble. I gave the reasoning behind why we ask entertainers to, say, be more humble than Kanye west, although I don't think we actually ask much of our entertainers and give them a whole lot.

This touches on a really interesting point. We, the consumers of media, are too easily impressed ... too easily entertained.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Dang I don't know why people diss on Kanye so much. Sure he's done some douchebag things, but he's probably the best rapper of our time.

I'm saying this because of the lyrical content of his songs, like:

1) Hey Mama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3rrQ3LyJc (one of my favorite songs ever)
2) Jesus Walks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYF7H_fpc-g (probably the best Jesus song you can find)
3) Family Business: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yoxyIu0s8

All of them have incredible lyrics, far better than any other rapper imo. Plus the messages in his songs are positive, none of this gun/drug bullshit you find with all the mainstream one-hit wonder rappers.

His new album took a listen through to get warmed up, but I like it a lot too. Kanye is awesome and he deserves the fame (and some of the poo poo) he gets.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

OneZeroSix posted:

probably the best rapper of
incredible lyrics, far better than any other rapper
Plus the messages in his songs are positive, none of this gun/drug bullshit you find with all the mainstream

Idk how much rap you've listened to, but you need to listen to a lot more, and make efforts to find the best rap you can

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010
Re: the album:
My fav line on the whole thing is "You got the power to make power flow". Reminds me of Em on his probably most famous song. My fav song is "All the lights". I like it b/c of the beat, and his flow is correct on that song.
It reminds me of Coldplay in a good way.
The first half, with Power, All of the Lights, Monster, and So Appalled, is super strong. The second half, not really, though it might grow on me eventually. The spoken word track is nice, but not great or anything.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
On 'Out in the Woods' & 'Lost in the World'

Bon Iver had a great idea, but they didn't know exactly where to take it. Woods is a quiet stroll through a dense forest. The mood is superb, but the path paved is incomplete. Kanye grabs you by the hand and sprints through a forest revealing a boundless vista.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

OneZeroSix posted:

Dang I don't know why people diss on Kanye so much. Sure he's done some douchebag things, but he's probably the best rapper of our time.

I'm saying this because of the lyrical content of his songs, like:

1) Hey Mama: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR3rrQ3LyJc (one of my favorite songs ever)
2) Jesus Walks: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MYF7H_fpc-g (probably the best Jesus song you can find)
3) Family Business: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8yoxyIu0s8

All of them have incredible lyrics, far better than any other rapper imo. Plus the messages in his songs are positive, none of this gun/drug bullshit you find with all the mainstream one-hit wonder rappers.

His new album took a listen through to get warmed up, but I like it a lot too. Kanye is awesome and he deserves the fame (and some of the poo poo) he gets.

I'd just like to say that I vastly prefer the instrumental version of Jesus Walks to the real one, except for the part where the only lyrics they didn't remove is the guy yelling "NIGGAZ!" 3 or 4 times, now completely out of context.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem

TheJoker138 posted:

I'd just like to say that I vastly prefer the instrumental version of Jesus Walks to the real one, except for the part where the only lyrics they didn't remove is the guy yelling "NIGGAZ!" 3 or 4 times, now completely out of context.

The Power inst is better than the song as well. The lyrical phrasing cuts the pace of the adventure in half. (See Runaway film)

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

keroppi posted:

My fav song is "All the lights". I like it b/c of the beat, and his flow is correct on that song.

I'm sorry, but is "correct" slang or a figure or speech? Because I don't know how his flow could be incorrect.

OneZeroSix posted:

Plus the messages in his songs are positive, none of this gun/drug bullshit you find with all the mainstream one-hit wonder rappers.

First: Kanye does rap about guns and drugs, quite often actually. You're being naive if you don't hear it.

Second: There are literally thousands of rappers who aren't talking about guns and drugs. You need to try harder. Google "backpack rap" and I'm sure you'll find a bunch of examples of this.

TITY BOI
Apr 4, 2008

A REAL HUMAN BEING
AND A REAL TITY BOI

Superchunk posted:

I'm sorry, but is "correct" slang or a figure or speech? Because I don't know how his flow could be incorrect.

Based on my extensive experience as a viewer of the hit HBO series "The Wire", I can confirm that it is slang for "good".

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

F201 posted:

Based on my extensive experience as a viewer of the hit HBO series "The Wire", I can confirm that it is slang for "good".

Guess I should watch The Wire more. :shobon:

Sisgmund
Jan 31, 2006

Superchunk posted:

It has Method Man! He is a rapper or something.

OneZeroSix
Apr 5, 2009

Rodgers Shoryukening the Steelers FTW
Yeah I'm definitely not trying to claim my opinions are objective, and I'm not a part of any rap subculture. I guess I can only compare Kanye to other "pop" rappers. He has a lot of critical success though, and when I started listening to Kanye I was personally saturated with all that gangster poo poo; he was a refreshing change.

I'll definitely checkout backpack rap though, it still seems like it's stigmatized in mainstream and that adds to why I like Kanye, he was able to do it without it being looked down on.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

OneZeroSix posted:

Yeah I'm definitely not trying to claim my opinions are objective, and I'm not a part of any rap subculture. I guess I can only compare Kanye to other "pop" rappers. He has a lot of critical success though, and when I started listening to Kanye I was personally saturated with all that gangster poo poo; he was a refreshing change.

I'll definitely checkout backpack rap though, it still seems like it's stigmatized in mainstream and that adds to why I like Kanye, he was able to do it without it being looked down on.

Oh, no, you're totally correct. I was just saying that Kanye is neither the first or the best at doing what he does, he has just been able to commercialize it in a way that no one else has. He's brought a new style of his genre to the mainstream.

I guess a lovely comparison would be Nirvana. They weren't the best grunge band, or the first, but they brought it to the mainstream and that's what makes them so influential and intriguing.

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Superchunk posted:

You should definitely watch the best TV series of all time more.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go

Superchunk posted:

Oh, no, you're totally correct. I was just saying that Kanye is neither the first or the best at doing what he does, he has just been able to commercialize it in a way that no one else has. He's brought a new style of his genre to the mainstream.

I guess a lovely comparison would be Nirvana. They weren't the best grunge band, or the first, but they brought it to the mainstream and that's what makes them so influential and intriguing.
How's bout some other suggestions though? Most rap I tend to listen to is that incredibly dense Aesop Rock / Cannibal Ox / Def Jux type. Getting into Kanye lately is a breath of fresh air. Wow, I can understand him the first time around, and the songs stick with me all day. I'm really enjoying him.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
The Runaway solo is so jazzy. I want more. Revive Jazz-Hop.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

How's bout some other suggestions though? Most rap I tend to listen to is that incredibly dense Aesop Rock / Cannibal Ox / Def Jux type. Getting into Kanye lately is a breath of fresh air. Wow, I can understand him the first time around, and the songs stick with me all day. I'm really enjoying him.

Doomtree, Big K.R.I.T., Blue Scholars, Strong Arm Steady, Shabazz Palaces. Should cover a pretty broad spectrum of underground hip-hop.

By the way, did anyone else realize the significance of putting Rhianna on "All of the Lights"? With lines like "I slapped my girl..." etc, seems kinda fitting she was featured there.

Malformed Dance Hut
Sep 7, 2010

Superchunk posted:

I'm sorry, but is "correct" slang or a figure or speech? Because I don't know how his flow could

It could be offbeat or not fit the beat as well. If he tried to flow like he did on Diamonds, it wouldn't work because the track is slow, so he has this whole half-bar thing going on. It reminded me of Jay-Z's Mommy Loves Me, for one obvious example, though there are many others I can't think of.
Basically his flow is just about perfect on that song, and if it was any other way it would probably be worse. Which makes sense given that he's a producer and all.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Considering the differences between 808s and MBDTF, I can't help but think of this Futurama line, and giggle:

Slurm Queen: "...Which is why we'll market it as New Slurm. Then, when everyone hates it, we'll bring back Slurm Classic and make billions!"

Not saying it's necessarily accurate. I just tend to filter real-life things into analogous soundbites from TV shows. I like both albums immensely.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvb-1wjAtk4

Everyone go watch the original video for Through The Wire. Gives me so much nostalgia for when the song was popular.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals

OneZeroSix posted:

Jesus Walks was ghost written just like much of this album was.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

I could let these dreamkillers kill my self esteem or use the arrogance as the steam to follow my dream

Fodder Cannon posted:

There's no proof of it. Kanye's official statement was it was a collabo with Rhymefest.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Fodder Cannon posted:

How dare you imply that Jesus didn't wrote that song by himself.

Fodder Cannon
Jan 12, 2008

I love to watch Fox News and then go club some baby seals
^^^
Holy ghostwritten.

Brett824 posted:

There's no proof of it. Kanye's official statement was it was a collabo with Rhymefest.

That's just a nicer way of saying ghostwritten, though I'm sure Kanye had some say. Do you also think Dre wrote Still D.R.E.?

NeuroticErotica
Sep 9, 2003

Perform sex? Uh uh, I don't think I'm up to a performance, but I'll rehearse with you...

Brett824 posted:

Rhymefest says he only did the first verse - and is credited as a writer.

Brett824
Mar 30, 2009

NeuroticErotica posted:

Rhymefest says he only did the first verse - and is credited as a writer.

Sounds like a collaboration to me vOv

Royal Challenge
Jun 24, 2005
Don't know if anyone else noticed but Rhymefest is credited for Gorgeous - and since he doesn't produce or play any instruments there is only one reason I can imagine he would be credited for.

This also doesn't seem like a big deal because the album is very clearly the result of nothing but collaboration.

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
I have never really listened to Kanye or much rap before but I bought this for 5 bucks on amazon mp3 download and it is really loving good, I basically haven't turned it off since 10am.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Fodder Cannon posted:

That's just a nicer way of saying ghostwritten, though I'm sure Kanye had some say. Do you also think Dre wrote Still D.R.E.?

If you can listen to that song knowing about the Rhymefest credit and not tell that the first verse is Rhymefest and the rest is Kanye then you don't know poo poo about Kanye or Rhymefest.

You think Rhymefest wrote "the way school need teachers, the way Kathy Lee needed Regis, that's the way I need Jesus?" You really think he wrote that? Sorry, no, not buying it. Kanye probably wrote that on the back of a Dillard's receipt when he was 19. The two halves of the song are very obviously written by different people, and to my knowledge Kanye has never directly written about dealing drugs personally the way the first verse of that song does. I don't think Rhymefest ever sold coke either, but he pretends sometimes.

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
I can definitely see Fest writing that line. Are you sure you've listened to much Rhymefest?

Edit: "Guns, sex, lies, videotape" sounds more like a Fest reference than a Kanye line.

Role Play McMurphy fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 7, 2010

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I imagine Kanye trying to sell drugs would be like Ziggy from The Wire.

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
Harvesting is not harboring, Kanye.

Mr. Belding
May 19, 2006
^
|
<- IS LAME-O PHOBE ->
|
V

Role Play McMurphy posted:

I can definitely see Fest writing that line. Are you sure you've listened to much Rhymefest?

Edit: "Guns, sex, lies, videotape" sounds more like a Fest reference than a Kanye line.

Well, with Rhymefest "much" is hard to define. I listened to the mixtape with Scram Jones, the Michael Jackson one, and obviously Blue Collar. The latter two a lot, the Scram Jones one not as much, mostly because the production on it wasn't my thing.

He lends himself to corny sometimes, but not nearly to the extent that Kanye does.

Rrail
Nov 26, 2003

by Y Kant Ozma Post
My god, this album is his best one yet easily. "All of the Lights" is so loving powerful. Power, as I already knew, is fantastic, and so is Gorgeous. Dark Fantasy is huge!

"Choke a South Park writer with a fish stick" also killed me.

I admit I have a huge love affair for Kanye West. His ego is nothing but icing on the cake for me, it's loving hilarious. He has a right to have that ego since he goes beast mode on everything he does and is easily one of the top 5 mainstream musicians right now. I think the only one that challenges him for musical genius is Kid Cudi.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
From InSound:

quote:

Hi there,

This is just a quick note to let you know that due to unforeseen manufacturing delays with this title, the release date has been tentatively rescheduled for 12/28. I am terribly sorry for the inconvenience. Please feel free to contact me if you have any further questions regarding your order. Many thanks for your continued patience!

Best,
Jory

Sorry guys! Of course after I talk InSound up and down about being awesome we get a delay on the album. It's the #3 top-selling record on the website now, so they must be coping with some serious demand.

I'm so eager to hear the vinyl version. I know we already had the mastering debate, but I was walking to class yesterday and was using my lovely ipod headphones to listen to "Monster" and it sounds like poo poo. If any of you have a pair of those earbuds, try it out right now. It sounds HORRIBLE. I really hope the vinyl version is mastered differently. :ohdear:

Jam2
Jan 15, 2008

With Energy For Mayhem
First step, ditch the lovely iPod headphones.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Superchunk posted:

I'm so eager to hear the vinyl version. I know we already had the mastering debate, but I was walking to class yesterday and was using my lovely ipod headphones to listen to "Monster" and it sounds like poo poo. If any of you have a pair of those earbuds, try it out right now. It sounds HORRIBLE. I really hope the vinyl version is mastered differently. :ohdear:
You have to be loving kidding me, you listen to something on iPod earbuds and you think the problem is that it's not vinyl.

Superchunk
Dec 27, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

kingcobweb posted:

You have to be loving kidding me, you listen to something on iPod earbuds and you think the problem is that it's not vinyl.

I don't usually use them, it's just what I had while walking to class. And I understand they're garbage, but why does everything on this album sound significantly worse (i.e. compressed, hosed up bass, clipping) than anything else I listen to? Even with my better headphones, everything sounds slightly muddy and distorted on this album. I also have a pretty nice stereo system in my car, and I have both the Graduation and MBDTF CDs, and the sound quality difference is pretty noticeable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skeezy
Jul 3, 2007

So here's a Christmas song from Kanye: http://nahright.com/news/2010/12/15/kanye-west-ft-cyhi-da-prynce-christmas-in-harlem/

• Locked thread