Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
greenskeleton
Apr 5, 2003
Don't forget Fail2ban, which works for a variety of services.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I need to reinstall freebsd on my laptop, I wiped it the last time I installed windows, so I will test the usb trickery and report back

anti ssh bruteforcing pf magic:
code:
block in quick on $ext from <blockedssh> label "block brute forcers"
pass in proto tcp to port ssh synproxy state (source-track rule, max-src-states 10, max-src-conn-rate 3/30, overload <blockedssh> flush global) label "pass ssh"
install the port expiretable and put this in the crontab for root, this is mine
code:
*      *       *       *       *       /usr/local/sbin/expiretable -t 5m blockedssh

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

EvilMoFo posted:

install the port expiretable and put this in the crontab for root, this is mine
code:
*      *       *       *       *       /usr/local/sbin/expiretable -t 5m blockedssh

"crontab for root"

I was under the general impression that the standard way of doing things on BSD was to put all crons in /etc/crontab if possible. Only users who can't edit /etc/crontab use their own.

Thoughts?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I tend to be lazy, su/sudo + crontab -e seems easier than vi /etc/crontab
I have my pfstat crontab entries under root also

in other news... yeah, freebsd does not see the grub assisted iso file boot as an install device. I guess the best option is to use bootonly and either extract the files to do an install from a dos partition or use ftp :geno:

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Which Java run-time is the best? I use PS3 Media Server on my box and presently its on diablo-jdk1.6.0 - but I thought I heard somewhere that OpenJDK was better? Anyone have an opinion? :)

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show

roadhead posted:

Which Java run-time is the best? I use PS3 Media Server on my box and presently its on diablo-jdk1.6.0 - but I thought I heard somewhere that OpenJDK was better? Anyone have an opinion? :)

The FreeBSD Foundation funded Sun certification testing for diablo-jdk so it was possible to distribute binary packages and use it to build java/jdk16. The java build process requires java.

There seem to be binary packages available for OpenJDK now, though, and that's where the majority of development takes place. OpenJDK is the only one with a working browser plugin, for instance.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
OpenBSD 4.8 is officially released. The big feature this time is ACPI suspend/resume support for most laptops. This is a custom ACPI implementation written with OpeNBSD (actually rewritten several times from scratch to get it right) rather than the Intel ACPI that most others use. Check the release announcement for the long list of improvements.

Freeloaders can now download the release from mirrors, and those of us that pre-ordered can get the full selection of binary packages.

Theo de Raadt posted:

We are pleased to announce the official release of OpenBSD 4.8.
This is our 28th release on CD-ROM (and 29th via FTP). We remain
proud of OpenBSD's record of more than ten years with only two remote
holes in the default install.

As in our previous releases, 4.8 provides significant improvements,
including new features, in nearly all areas of the system:

- New/extended platforms:
o i386 and amd64:
- ACPI-based suspend/resume works on most machines with
Intel/ATI video. Machines using NVidia graphics will not
resume the graphics. cardbus(4) and pcmcia(4) will still
have some problems, too.

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002
Ok, this is driving me crazy.

I have two FreeBSD 8.0 webservers, w1.acme.com (which serves the acme.com website) and w2.acme.com (has nothing to do with the acme.com website, it serves subdomains). I have an Exchange server than handles my organizations acme.com mail. The mail server works perfectly, and w2.acme.com can send mail to acme.com accounts. w1.acme.com, however, thinks that it is responsible for the acme.com accounts and delivers it locally. Mail to other domains is sent without a problem.

Any ideas on where to look to solve this? The MX records are correct and resolv.conf is set to use the DNS server responsible for the acme.com zone, it should know that the mail server is elsewhere, like w2.acme.com does. There is an A record for acme.come that points to w1.acme.come's IP, but that shouldn't matter. These servers are basically stock, I have not messed with the sendmail configs at all and there is no local DNS service running.

falz
Jan 29, 2005

01100110 01100001 01101100 01111010
A records will be followed for mail delivery if no MX record exists. If I were to send mail to foo@w1.acme.com and there's no MX record, mail servers would send it to that server whose A is w1.acme.com.

Is it running the default MTA (sendmail) or something else? Assuming the mail you're concerned with is foo@acme.com, something in yourconfiguration considers acme.com locally. look in /etc/mail if it's sendmail.

One way to force it would be to create an entry (and the file) /etc/mail/mailertable that looks like:
code:
acme.com smtp:exchange.acme.com
then run:
code:
makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

falz posted:

A records will be followed for mail delivery if no MX record exists. If I were to send mail to foo@w1.acme.com and there's no MX record, mail servers would send it to that server whose A is w1.acme.com.

Is it running the default MTA (sendmail) or something else? Assuming the mail you're concerned with is foo@acme.com, something in yourconfiguration considers acme.com locally. look in /etc/mail if it's sendmail.

One way to force it would be to create an entry (and the file) /etc/mail/mailertable that looks like:
code:
acme.com smtp:exchange.acme.com
then run:
code:
makemap hash /etc/mail/mailertable < /etc/mail/mailertable

Thanks for the reply. It is sendmail, completely stock as FreeBSD installed it. If I do an nslookup on acme.com, it provides the correct MX record for the Exchange SMTP server). I created the mailertable and restarted sendmail but that did not make a difference. Emails sent to user@w1.acme.com and user@acme.com are both going to the same /var/mail/user file. ARGH!

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Does the Windows server have anything in DNS that references the other server?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

this suggests you edit the sendmail config and add
code:
define(`MAIL_HUB', `example.com.')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `example.com.')dnl

SmirkingJack
Nov 27, 2002

Bob Morales posted:

Does the Windows server have anything in DNS that references the other server?

Nope. Everything worked perfectly until about a month and a half ago. I strongly suspect that it is DNS related, even though the OS and sendmail see the correct MX records. Thanks for the suggestion though, I appreciate it!

EvilMoFo posted:

this suggests you edit the sendmail config and add
code:
define(`MAIL_HUB', `example.com.')dnl
define(`LOCAL_RELAY', `example.com.')dnl

I think that did it! Mail is coming though!

Ninja Rope
Oct 22, 2005

Wee.
Out of curiosity, what does that server think its hostname is? What's in /etc/hosts ?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Just got this on the OpenBSD mailing list, apparently there may have been backdoors planted in OpenBSD by the US Government?

:tinfoil:

The de Raadt posted:

I have received a mail regarding the early development of the OpenBSD
IPSEC stack. It is alleged that some ex-developers (and the company
they worked for) accepted US government money to put backdoors into
our network stack, in particular the IPSEC stack. Around 2000-2001.

Since we had the first IPSEC stack available for free, large parts of
the code are now found in many other projects/products. Over 10
years, the IPSEC code has gone through many changes and fixes, so it
is unclear what the true impact of these allegations are.

The mail came in privately from a person I have not talked to for
nearly 10 years. I refuse to become part of such a conspiracy, and
will not be talking to Gregory Perry about this. Therefore I am
making it public so that
(a) those who use the code can audit it for these problems,
(b) those that are angry at the story can take other actions,
(c) if it is not true, those who are being accused can defend themselves.

Of course I don't like it when my private mail is forwarded. However
the "little ethic" of a private mail being forwarded is much smaller
than the "big ethic" of government paying companies to pay open source
developers (a member of a community-of-friends) to insert
privacy-invading holes in software.

----

To: "deraadt@openbsd.org" <deraadt@openbsd.org>
Subject: OpenBSD Crypto Framework
Thread-Topic: OpenBSD Crypto Framework
Thread-Index: AcuZjuF6cT4gcSmqQv+Fo3/+2m80eg==
Date: Sat, 11 Dec 2010 23:55:25 +0000
Message-ID: <8D3222F9EB68474DA381831A120B1023019AC034@mbx021-e2-nj-5.exch021.domain.local>
Accept-Language: en-US
Content-Language: en-US
X-MS-Has-Attach:
X-MS-TNEF-Correlator:
Content-Type: text/plain; charset="iso-8859-1"
Content-Transfer-Encoding: quoted-printable
MIME-Version: 1.0

Hello Theo,

Long time no talk. If you will recall, a while back I was the CTO at
NETSEC and arranged funding and donations for the OpenBSD Crypto
Framework. At that same time I also did some consulting for the FBI,
for their GSA Technical Support Center, which was a cryptologic
reverse engineering project aimed at backdooring and implementing key
escrow mechanisms for smart card and other hardware-based computing
technologies.

My NDA with the FBI has recently expired, and I wanted to make you
aware of the fact that the FBI implemented a number of backdoors and
side channel key leaking mechanisms into the OCF, for the express
purpose of monitoring the site to site VPN encryption system
implemented by EOUSA, the parent organization to the FBI. Jason
Wright and several other developers were responsible for those
backdoors, and you would be well advised to review any and all code
commits by Wright as well as the other developers he worked with
originating from NETSEC.

This is also probably the reason why you lost your DARPA funding, they
more than likely caught wind of the fact that those backdoors were
present and didn't want to create any derivative products based upon
the same.

This is also why several inside FBI folks have been recently
advocating the use of OpenBSD for VPN and firewalling implementations
in virtualized environments, for example Scott Lowe is a well
respected author in virtualization circles who also happens top be on
the FBI payroll, and who has also recently published several tutorials
for the use of OpenBSD VMs in enterprise VMware vSphere deployments.

Merry Christmas...

Gregory Perry
Chief Executive Officer
GoVirtual Education

"VMware Training Products & Services"

540-645-6955 x111 (local)
866-354-7369 x111 (toll free)
540-931-9099 (mobile)
877-648-0555 (fax)

http://www.facebook.com/GregoryVPerry
http://www.facebook.com/GoVirtual

What else would have used the code from OpenBSD?

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005
From what I can tell it's a non-story. Just someone either crazy or trying to stir up trouble. http://www.itworld.com/open-source/130820/openbsdfbi-allegations-denied-named-participant

complex
Sep 16, 2003

It didn't make it to the front page of freebsd.org, but 8.2 BETA1 and 7.4 BETA1 have been released.

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-stable/2010-December/060541.html

Hopefully we will get RELEASE sometime early in January.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am attempting to compile perl on my Dockstar and it is dying with signal 11. I have swap, which the first and only Google hit mentions as a possible remedy, but alas the error still comes up.

code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
*** Signal 11

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1.
*** Error code 1 (ignored)

You may see some irrelevant test failures if you have been unable
to build lib/Config.pm, lib/lib.pm or the Unicode data files.

cd t && (rm -f perl; /bin/ln -s ../miniperl perl)  && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1 \
 ./perl TEST -minitest base/*.t comp/*.t cmd/*.t run/*.t io/*.t op/*.t uni/*.t </dev/tty
*** Signal 11 (ignored)
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.10/work/perl-5.10.1  ./miniperl -Ilib autodoc.pl
*** Signal 11

Has anyone gotten perl 5.10 to compile on arm?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

EvilMoFo posted:

I am attempting to compile perl on my Dockstar and it is dying with signal 11. I have swap, which the first and only Google hit mentions as a possible remedy, but alas the error still comes up.

Are you running out of swap? How much do you have?

I would also check to see if it dies at the exact spot every time. Are you getting anything in weird in /var/log/messages?

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

Yes, same place every time, originally with an earlier version or patch and now with 5.10.1_3. I have 1gb of swap, I have not seen it go past 5mb.

code:
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17153 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17159 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:10:58 dockstar kernel: pid 17164 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Dec 19 01:11:00 dockstar kernel: pid 17333 (miniperl), uid 0: exited on signal 11 (core dumped)
Is the only thing of interest in messages.

edit: I see there is perl 5.12, I am going to try that now
edit 2: same issue

code:
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139
1 error

You may see some irrelevant test failures if you have been unable
to build lib/Config.pm, or the Unicode data files.

cd t && (rm -f perl; /bin/ln -s ../miniperl perl)  && LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2 \
 ./perl TEST -minitest base/*.t comp/*.t cmd/*.t run/*.t io/*.t re/*.t op/*.t uni/*.t </dev/tty
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/ports/lang/perl5.12/work/perl-5.12.2  ./miniperl -Ilib make_patchnum.pl
*** Error code 139
1 error
*** Error code 1

Stop in /usr/ports/lang/perl5.12.
*** Error code 1
There is 40mb of free ram, plus the 1gb of swap; it is only using 2mb, at least that is what the core file is.

edit 3: awesome, it looks like it could be gcc loving up my day http://forums.freebsd.org/showthread.php?p=102074 ... but I have gcc4.2.1 :sigh:

EvilMoFo fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Dec 19, 2010

Only Shallow
Nov 12, 2005

show
I ran into the same thing. 5.8.9 should build properly.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

In case anyone cares you can't run BSD on the Google Cr-48 laptop. Well you can, but you can't run X. The Intel chip is one of the new ones that needs the GEM/KMS stuff that's only in Linux right now.

:qq:

edit: I suppose you could run it as vesa, but that's stupid.

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

feld posted:

In case anyone cares you can't run BSD on the Google Cr-48 laptop. Well you can, but you can't run X. The Intel chip is one of the new ones that needs the GEM/KMS stuff that's only in Linux right now.

:qq:

edit: I suppose you could run it as vesa, but that's stupid.

At least you got one.

I assume by BSD you mean FreeBSD. Have you tried a -current OpenBSD? Even if it didn't work I'm sure they'd love to get a dmesg and acpidump from it.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Cpt.Wacky posted:

At least you got one.

I assume by BSD you mean FreeBSD. Have you tried a -current OpenBSD? Even if it didn't work I'm sure they'd love to get a dmesg and acpidump from it.

Correct, FreeBSD. I haven't tried OpenBSD because running a desktop/laptop on OpenBSD is a bit too masochistic for my tastes. I did provide some FreeBSD devs the pciconf and verbose dmesg dump. It really won't be functional on any *BSD until the KMS/GEM support layers are ported from Linux, which is in progress. After that we'll be able to use the new Nouveau driver and the currently maintained Intel drivers.

The.Big.Dirty.Emu
May 2, 2009
Does anyone know if it is possible to mount HFS+ volumes under FreeBSD? They only have to be readonly to copy some data into a ZFS pool.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Finally getting around to trying to actually use OpenVPN - and I can load pages served by the BSD box across the link, other machines on the LAN can ping the VPN IP of the server.

But I can't ping other machines on the LAN with the client, or ping the client from the LAN.

I added a route to my gateway to direct 192.168.254.0/8 traffic to 192.168.1.2 - the local IP of the BSD box. I can ping 192.168.254.1 from either side, LAN or VPN - but not say 192.168.254.6 which is the IP my client is getting. I can ping 192.168.1.2 from the VPN, but not 192.168.1.1 or anything else.

Must be a routing/firewall thing I've yet to configure eh?

UPDATE: Crashed Apache on the gateway using the web interface to change the metric on the only static route I've put on the device. Telnet in and view the routes, and suddenly it decides to work. I guess it wasn't fully set/needed a bump. Of course this was a problem with the device in the equation running Linux!

EDIT: Ok I can ping, and FileZilla will SFTP (over VPN, seems like overkill!) but won't vanilla FTP. I can use windows CLI FTP. I have also set the DNS IPs, tested them using nslookup, and can get DNS resolution via nslookup, but not just using ping at a cmd prompt. Could this be a problem with my config? Its an IP Tunnel using UDP.

EDIT2: Discovered how to push DHCP options like the DNS suffix to my windows clients, and DNS resolution is working great now. I much prefer http://camera/ to http://whatever.dyndns.org:8080/ - but I am just weird I guess :)

roadhead fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Jan 17, 2011

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill
I just installed FreeBSD (8.2-RC) coming from a linux-environment. I really like most stuff except that I'm apparently retarded and can't configure DHCP anymore (took me a good 12 hours to notice 192.168.0.0 vs 192.168.1.0. To my defense I was tired).

I'm sure 99 % of the people here knows it, but enabling compression on a RAIDZ array is a very bad idea for speed. Over gigabit ethernet I got ~16 mb/s, without compression it jumped to ~40mb/s - still a bit slow considering it's a 3 disk array. Is there any way to further improve speeds?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Marinmo posted:

I just installed FreeBSD (8.2-RC) coming from a linux-environment. I really like most stuff except that I'm apparently retarded and can't configure DHCP anymore (took me a good 12 hours to notice 192.168.0.0 vs 192.168.1.0. To my defense I was tired).

I'm sure 99 % of the people here knows it, but enabling compression on a RAIDZ array is a very bad idea for speed. Over gigabit ethernet I got ~16 mb/s, without compression it jumped to ~40mb/s - still a bit slow considering it's a 3 disk array. Is there any way to further improve speeds?

What drives? Isn't RAIDZ going to be ~ fast as a single drive for random stuff?

Also, shouldn't compression be faster as long as you're not using a really slow CPU?

complex
Sep 16, 2003

You didn't apply compression to a volume full of already compressed things, did you? FLACs and MP3s will cause gzip to chug CPU with little gain.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

This is why you setup several "datasets" under the one volume, each can have different ZFS options, such as which hash to use, compression and what level, and lots of other stuff.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I think if you enable compression (or dedup for that matter, or any similair properties) it only applies the property to newly created files. So enabling compression on a full filesystem won't compress the contents, only new files put there.

Marinmo
Jan 23, 2005

Prisoner #95H522 Augustus Hill

Bob Morales posted:

What drives? Isn't RAIDZ going to be ~ fast as a single drive for random stuff?

Also, shouldn't compression be faster as long as you're not using a really slow CPU?
1,5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, so it's not the green edition stuff that's hampering me.

I copied some already compressed files in this case. Haven't tried uncompressed stuff. The CPU is a C2D 6750 with 4 gigs of ram, should be plenty, no?

complex posted:

You didn't apply compression to a volume full of already compressed things, did you? FLACs and MP3s will cause gzip to chug CPU with little gain.
Nopes, volume was empty

roadhead posted:

This is why you setup several "datasets" under the one volume, each can have different ZFS options, such as which hash to use, compression and what level, and lots of other stuff.
I did skim through the manpages when creating the volume, but it's not like they say "use this for this and that" etc. Could you be a little more specific please? I don't really see the point of doing RAID if you're gonna split volumes anyway (but I would like to learn more about how to use ZFS properly!); I had smaller hard drives in this machine before w/o LVM and it was just gruesome.

FISHMANPET posted:

I think if you enable compression (or dedup for that matter, or any similair properties) it only applies the property to newly created files. So enabling compression on a full filesystem won't compress the contents, only new files put there.
Well I don't really need to enable it, just thought it was a neat idea. Almost slicing speeds by three was not acceptable, so I just removed it. :)

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

Marinmo posted:

1,5TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm, so it's not the green edition stuff that's hampering me.

I copied some already compressed files in this case. Haven't tried uncompressed stuff. The CPU is a C2D 6750 with 4 gigs of ram, should be plenty, no?

Nopes, volume was empty

I did skim through the manpages when creating the volume, but it's not like they say "use this for this and that" etc. Could you be a little more specific please? I don't really see the point of doing RAID if you're gonna split volumes anyway (but I would like to learn more about how to use ZFS properly!); I had smaller hard drives in this machine before w/o LVM and it was just gruesome.

Well I don't really need to enable it, just thought it was a neat idea. Almost slicing speeds by three was not acceptable, so I just removed it. :)

All the datasets pull from the same pool of free disk space, its just that you can have different options for each one depending on the kind of data you are storing.

Look at my free space for instance

code:
Filesystem        Size    Used   Avail Capacity  Mounted on
storage2          807G     35K    807G     0%    /storage2
storage           5.3T     38K    5.3T     0%    /storage
storage2/stuff    6.5T    5.7T    807G    88%    /storage2/stuff
storage2/docs     911G    104G    807G    11%    /storage2/docs
storage2/bin      843G     36G    807G     4%    /storage2/bin
storage/stuff     5.3T     64K    5.3T     0%    /storage/stuff
I edited out all the non ZFS file systems. but stuff, docs, and bin all have different ZFS settings, but are in the same pool and share free space.

feld
Feb 11, 2008

Out of nowhere its.....

Feldman

Marinmo posted:

It actually makes /usr/ports and /usr/src much faster to work with on my Atom NAS. Also, it's great to use it for /var/log so you dont have to compress logs when you rotate.

EvilMoFo
Jan 1, 2006

I am fed up with usb ethernet devices, both of my aue devices (one dlink, one linksys) crash and make the dockstar completely useless as a router.

Has anyone else experienced their usb network cards constantly going up and down only to eventually become unresponsive with ping screaming that there is "no buffer space available"? I saw a post about axe having the problem, and that it is apparently fixed in -current, but there was no mention of a fix for aue.

I sense that, in the end, I will simply just go back to an x86 router. Though, spending ~150 and get this, with 2 real network interfaces, might be worth it.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet

EvilMoFo posted:

I am fed up with usb ethernet devices, both of my aue devices (one dlink, one linksys) crash and make the dockstar completely useless as a router.

Has anyone else experienced their usb network cards constantly going up and down only to eventually become unresponsive with ping screaming that there is "no buffer space available"? I saw a post about axe having the problem, and that it is apparently fixed in -current, but there was no mention of a fix for aue.

I sense that, in the end, I will simply just go back to an x86 router. Though, spending ~150 and get this, with 2 real network interfaces, might be worth it.

I had two axe devices that simply burnt out after being online for a month. After it happened two times i just gave up the usb plan.

roadhead
Dec 25, 2001

conntrack posted:

I had two axe devices that simply burnt out after being online for a month. After it happened two times i just gave up the usb plan.

I thought GigE performance on my re0 device was bad (no jumbo frame support in the FreeBSD drive) - but at least its stable!

Cpt.Wacky
Apr 17, 2005

EvilMoFo posted:

Though, spending ~150 and get this, with 2 real network interfaces, might be worth it.

Everything I've heard about these says they aren't worth it because the power supplies are horrible, overheat and die.

Something like the Microtek Routerboards might be worth a shot instead.

conntrack
Aug 8, 2003

by angerbeet
I got an ITX board and put a random pci card in it with openbsd. the machine reboots when there is poweroutages or if i kick the power cord.

the last reboot was when i upgraded the OS to 4.8 in november. poo poo takes 45w of power idle or 100% loaded no difference but it is rock solid and true 100mbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I had one of these running OpenBSD as a irc/shell box, but it only had one ethernet port. If it had a second (and possibly a wifi card) it would have been perfect. Power brick was 1.2A @ 12v

• Locked thread