Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
I continued to :rice: my Yaris by installing some Tokico Blue Struts/Shocks with some AOE Tigertec Springs today.

Body roll seems to be non-existent and it drives like a go kart now.

Edit: Took it up the mountain for a spirited drive to help those springs settle in.

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 5, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

You Are A Werewolf
Apr 26, 2010

Black Gold!

Podothehobbit posted:

Edit: Took it up the mountain for a spirited drive to help those springs settle in.

Would that mountain happen to be Mt. Lemmon? I can't think of any other place that would have trees like that other than Madera Canyon. Or, maybe I just need to get out more.

Today, I spent six torturous hours replacing the back brakes on my Tacoma. I got the right side "done"* before calling it quits. Each side has a C-clip mechanism that connects the parking brake to the shoe, but they sure as hell don't come pre-installed when you buy new shoes. You have to hammer and punch those fuckers in, and by golly, you have to make sure they're absolutely flush (meaning you break out the loving micrometer to make sure it's absolutely, positively flush) or else the stupid clip will not go in. I knew something was up when it was a bitch just to get that little clip off, but it is so much worse going back on. There is also no way in hell you're not going to bend the end tabs on the shoes a little when you're installing those things, so there was also time spent shaping them back straight. By the time I finished the right side, I was aching, I'd done everything in my power to try and get that stupid clip on, my rear end was cold because I was sitting on the ground, and I was hungry and thirsty (hadn't eaten or drank anything while working on the brakes). I called it a night, and it's only 4:45 PM.

the worst part about all of this? I did the brakes because I had absolutely nothing to do earlier today and was completely bored just sitting around doing nothing. I figured, "let's replace the back brakes, You Are A Elf! It should only take an hour at the most!" After removing the drums and noting that there was still a little meat left, I told myself, "They look okay, but you're already halfway done replacing them. Just take these off, go get new shoes and put them on and you're done!" Boy, was I :downs:

* "done" meaning I jammed the weird horseshoe looking clip in the crevice and tightened it with pliers before realizing that I was being an idiot. I'm going to go to Ace tomorrow and buy some C-clips that will work and fit better than those thick horseshoe looking things that suck horrible rear end.

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer

You Are A Elf posted:

Would that mountain happen to be Mt. Lemmon? I can't think of any other place that would have trees like that other than Madera Canyon. Or, maybe I just need to get out more.
:ssh: You guessed right!

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

Covered my car for it to sit in my driveway this winter. I learned a long hard lesson in buying cheap rear end cars this year. Bought a $1,000 DSM with "only a few things wrong with it." Those few things turned out to be about $1,000 in parts I put in myself. And it still can't drive, since I found out it has a blown head gasket. Not to mention its rusty as poo poo. And unemployment hosed me over so I won't even have money for a month or two.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

Super Aggro Crag posted:

Covered my car for it to sit in my driveway this winter. I learned a long hard lesson in buying cheap rear end cars this year. Bought a $1,000 DSM with "only a few things wrong with it." Those few things turned out to be about $1,000 in parts I put in myself. And it still can't drive, since I found out it has a blown head gasket. Not to mention its rusty as poo poo. And unemployment hosed me over so I won't even have money for a month or two.

At the time you said you wanted something, anything, to get to work, and people said you'd probably want something more reliable than an abused DSM for that.

Jean Eric Burn
Nov 10, 2007

I'm sort of okay with the idea that part of every paycheck I get goes directly to dudes working on money pit cars. Think of all the cars we are building across the country.

Super Aggro Crag
Apr 23, 2008

And, of course as always, kill Hitler.

kimbo305 posted:

At the time you said you wanted something, anything, to get to work, and people said you'd probably want something more reliable than an abused DSM for that.

I wish I had willpower. :smithicide:

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

New (to me) wheels (gramlights 57 pros) and new (new) Tires (kumho Ecsta KU31)!

18x8 +25 235/40/18 and 18x9 +25 255/35/18. Probably should have gone with 245s for the rear but I love fat tires and think stretch looks poo poo unless your car is low as gently caress with flared guards.

Next: Camber arms to get them under the rear guards.

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

Bucephalus posted:

^^^ *NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR OBJECTS THROWN FROM ROAD* :jerkbag:

*Not True*

Just like the signs that say "We're not responsible for damage due to carts" in parking lots. They most certainly can be and I've successfully taken Best Buy for over $600 worth of repairs when one of their loose carts slammed the front fender of my 1988 SAAB 9000.

Anyway, what I did (yesterday) was pick up my other Mercedes 240d from Toaster Pastry. The battery was drained and it was 32 degrees out, so it took over 40 minutes of sitting on it with jumper cables hooked to a 2002 Honda Civic to get the dirty diesel to come to life. It eventually cranked fast enough and long enough to clatter to life, and so it went home under it's own power.

At the house I installed the front bumper previously stored in the rear seat, a headlight in the bucket that was missing one, ripped apart the HVAC controls, diagnosed multiple failures thereof, sorted through some electrical issues, diagnosed a few failures thereof and gave it a throughout checking out for an attempt to pass the Missouri state safety inspection program. I've also adjusted the accelerator and transmission linkage to smooth out a bad case of the shakes. I've got a small shopping list of parts to get the boat seaworthy again, and I expect to have them by the end of this week.

trouser chili fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Dec 6, 2010

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Took it in for a state inspection and discovered that my water pump is about to poo poo itself. Given that we noticed it right away, and that the car doesn't actually get driven that much, it'll wait until I can afford the repair (two weeks, and I'd do it myself but in this particular vehicle, the water pump hides behind the timing belt, and gently caress messing with that)

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Wrecked it. Was pulling out into an intersection when a cab blew through and clipped the front drivers side corner at 30 mph.

In amazing old GM truck style, the entire body forward of the cab will need to be replaced (bumper, hood, grille, both front fenders, etc.) but neither the chassis nor the mechanicals were harmed. I drove it away and everything.

I <3 my S-10 Blazer.

GET EM SLUGGER
Jun 1, 2002

Got it back from the shop. In my car, the stereo stays on until the driver's side door opens, even after you've removed the key. I noticed that the stereo wasn't shutting off every so often, and the problem just got worse and worse. I figured it was the switch in the door that showed that the door had been opened, and my diagnosis was confirmed when the dome light failed to come on. Took it in and got it repaired under warranty. I also got one of the tail lights replaced. It had a bad seal and water was getting in and puddling in there. Only 3K miles left on the warranty, so I'm glad it decided to act up now rather than sometime after the warranty is up.

Philip J Fry
Apr 25, 2007

go outside and have a blast
Threw on a 63mm throttle body for the XJ. I wasn't expecting a lot of improvement but drat...it's definitely noticeable. Way more responsive.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Rescued the wife. She got her Routan stuck in her dad's yard (she makes some really bad decisions sometimes) and I took the Bronco over to pull her out. Chained them together, put it in 4-low and 1st gear and just walked it on out.

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.
Took the truck to a local shop for a oil change. Yea, not really into rolling around in 4 inches of snow on a gravel drive way.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Called up a shop to have them take a look at the car I just bought since it wouldn't start when I was trying to leave work. They can't see it until Thursday at noon. It is probably the starter as the car will not even turn over. It sucks not living with my parents anymore and not having all the tools and space in the world to dick around with things yourself.

My new toy is out of commission...

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

nollij posted:

Called up a shop to have them take a look at the car I just bought since it wouldn't start when I was trying to leave work. They can't see it until Thursday at noon. It is probably the starter as the car will not even turn over. It sucks not living with my parents anymore and not having all the tools and space in the world to dick around with things yourself.

My new toy is out of commission...

It's almost never the starter. It's almost always something simpler. Starters are built like tanks. Your neutral safety switch, to name just one possibility, isn't. What is the car, anyway?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
Went and changed the oil in my '07 CX-7 today. I guess the previous owner (or the dealer) changed it (right before I bought it) and they used an impact.

Had to use a breaker bar on the drain pan bolt (oil came out clean, but didn't look like any synthetic oil I've ever seen...will be sending it in for analysis) then started on the filter. It's a canister filter, and the outer bolt is a very soft brass or similar torx head bolt/screw. Remember what I said about the impact wrench? Yeah. Marks all over the loving head, and every thread was stripped.

So I basically wasted my time, as now I need to get an EZ-Out and replace that bolt, when the Mazda dealer has some. gently caress my life. This is why I will never, ever use a place like loving jiffy lube. Who looks at a soft rear end bolt that is supposed to be just over hand tight and thinks to use a loving impact wrench?

On the bright side, under carriage was all nice and clean, and it was nice to get it into a heated garage on a lift to do all the work. $14 bucks for 2 hours in a heated lift bay and half an hour in a wash bay, with all tool rental free. Military has benefits sometimes, I guess.

Imperador do Brasil
Nov 18, 2005
Rotor-rific

Picked the Fit up from the body shop. It's been there for a month waiting on parts after a deer decided to stroll out in front of me.

Before:

After:

wav3form
Aug 10, 2008
I looked at it and cried because my wife decided to rear end it in the drive way. ('02 Z28) Scratched up and scuffed but that's about it... messed her bumper up too. :mad:

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Splizwarf posted:

It's almost never the starter. It's almost always something simpler. Starters are built like tanks. Your neutral safety switch, to name just one possibility, isn't. What is the car, anyway?

I disconnected the neutral safety switch and still tried it (open circuit means the clutch is pushed in). It still did not work. The shop I took it too said they are pretty drat sure it is the starter. Driving it on the way to the shop it was giving me a Check Engine Light which makes me nervous it might be something else... or push starting it might have caused a bad reading on the ECU. It is also cold and tuned on 93 but I can only get 92 where I am so the CEL could be something related to running too lean. I might turn the boost down a little but I rarely spool the turbo full up during normal driving.

It is a Mitsubishi Evolution 2006.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.
Got a voltmeter? Make sure you are getting 12V at the starter on your big cable, then turn the key and make sure you are getting 12V to the control wire on your solenoid. If you are, maybe the solenoid is just stuck? They've got to be cheaper than the entire starter assembly. I dunno, just poke around with a meter until you find where the problem is.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?
Unfortunately I already dropped it off at the shop and it is in their hopefully capable hands now. I could only imagine they know how to dink around with a starter to test it before ripping it out.

Also, to get to the starter I would need a lift (I live in an apt with not many auto tools and I am not even sure if my dad's jack could fit under the front of the car), take off the under engine cover, take off the downpipe, and take off the starter cover.

I asked the auto guy if the ground at the starter was connected right (it can wiggle off sometimes apparently) and he went "oh yea, yea. I poked around the starter and checked it out. It is definitely not working."

Splizwarf
Jun 15, 2007
It's like there's a soup can in front of me!

nollij posted:

"oh yea, yea. I poked around the starter and checked it out. It is definitely not working."

This, this is not encouraging.

nollij
Aug 30, 2006

Wait, wait, wait...

When did this happen?!?

Splizwarf posted:

This, this is not encouraging.

Yea. It is funny that I asked him specifically about checking the wiring down there and lo and behold, the positive wire nut was loose and corroded. He cleaned that up and bam car works. Granted, getting to the starter is 90% of the battle to changing it and he probably didn't want to waste time getting there before he had the part on hand... This saved me around $300 to not have to get a new starter.

He also found a blown fuse keeping him from connecting to the ECU and said he found a vaccuum hose that goes from the cold side to a solenoid disconnected. When asked, he said it was absolutely not the recirculating valve line.

This whole ordeal has made me wholefully aware of the fact that I need to get a ramp or some jacks I can fit under the car.

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

nollij posted:

This saved me around $300 to not have to get a new starter.

$300? The last starter motor I bought (a month ago) was £25 including shipping.

drill press corps
Sep 28, 2007

Only my friends can call me Pigfucker.
I was in it when my car decided to go "OOOH! SHINY!" and see what was on the other side of the guardrail. In my defense, we got 4.5 feet of snow in the last 48 hours.

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Installed the junkyard new chrome bumper and the new new grille, and secured the hood with rope instead of frayed bungee cords. Still need to replace the radiator frame, hood, and fenders and figure out why the passenger side door refuses to open. (I lie, it's because the passenger fender is jammed into the door.)

Oh, and then give it a rustoleum paint job so it's not two-tone red and black.

...dear god, my truck is getting awfully redneck.

corgski fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Dec 11, 2010

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.
Drove it too fast on the highway and a cop pulled me over doing 100mph in a 55mph zone, that's what I did to my ride today.

Probably losing my license for 1+ year, and I'm looking at a $2000 fine, or possible jailtime.

Getting caught loving blows...

I HATE CARS
May 10, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Trapdoor posted:

Being a gigantic moron on the road loving blows...

Here I fixed that for you. Double the speed limit? I really hope they do take your license away.

schindler.xls
Oct 18, 2010

by mons al-madeen
Those 2000 dollars could have gotten a pretty decent radar jamming/laser jamming system.

Trapdoor
Jun 7, 2005
The one and only.

I HATE CARS posted:

Here I fixed that for you. Double the speed limit? I really hope they do take your license away.

Spare me, it was double the speed limit on a dry highway with no other cars on the road, apart from the cop lurking on the entrance ramp.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

I HATE CARS posted:

Whew, glad the AI Morality Police is hard at work.

Four Banger
Oct 29, 2008
we just had some freezin rain followed by some snow and I'm driving home, going downhill and some dumb rear end decides to pull out in front of me and I couldn't stop so I try to avoid him, and I end up spinning around and hitting the curb, absolutely wrecking my rear driver side wheel. Thankfully all the suspension looks ok, and it still drives fine, but when I bring it in to get the tire unmounted/mounted on a new rim I'll get them to check everything out a bit better.

It's still holding pressure at 40psi, is it fine to drive on do you guys think?

edit; forgot some words.

Four Banger fucked around with this message at 17:53 on Dec 12, 2010

Rogz
Jul 22, 2009

Mr booby head vagina man.

I HATE CARS posted:

$300? The last starter motor I bought (a month ago) was £25 including shipping.

Can pay upto £600 for the starter for my car. In related news I bought a recon starter for £100 last week.

Welding, painting, and further winter prepping my car in hope of delivery of item this week.

MATLAB 1988
Sep 20, 2009
Have I posted about my Subaru XT yet? Here are pictures of my Subaru XT. POST POST POST.
Today was the first snowfall of the season here, which sadly means my Mercedes 300cd will be stored until spring.

My 1986 Subaru XT has a torn CV boot, the CV isn't making noise yet. I hope not to do any wrenching until spring, I'll replace the CV axle then (maybe install some Poly bushings while I'm at it!)

My Subaru is an 8-bit Miata, Yaaay :allears:

Conelrad
Mar 22, 2004

Everything will be fine
Grimey Drawer
Auto-x'ed the Yaris today after the suspension upgrades. Feels planted but I think i'm hitting the limits of my tire's traction.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EIYWx1KsRA

Conelrad fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 14, 2010

evilnissan
Apr 18, 2007

I'm comin home.

MATLAB 1988 posted:

My Subaru is an 8-bit Miata, Yaaay :allears:

I love the 80's.

zamin
Jan 9, 2004

evilnissan posted:

I love the 80's.

Flip up headlights, slanted noses and giant greenhouses. What's not to love?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Third Man
Nov 5, 2005

I know how much you like ponies so I got you a ponies avatar bro
Mechanical fuel injection? :v: