Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick
We have a system with a transactional database, which is being replicated to a reporting database for performance. To minimize the changes required, our DB guy is going to set up some sort of linked server between the two, because the app can only connect to one data source for working with the transactional stuff as well as pulling reports.

I have to modify all the report queries in the app (yes the sql is hardcoded in the app, rather than stored procs, no I can't change this yet) to reference the tables on the linked server rather than the transactional db. This is fine for the most part, but I just came across a report that's retrieving a sequence.nextval from dual.

Can I reference a sequence.nextval from dual over a linked server?

This is using Oracle 10g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Sprawl posted:

A select insert with a Case statement on that field switching it to the new value.

code:

Insert into table (a,b,c,enum)
select a,b,c, 
Case enum 
When 'dumb' then 'smart '
When 'stupid' then 'good' 
When 'retarded' Then 'better'
 End Case as enum

I couldn't get that to work the way I wanted, but I figured out another way. Thanks!

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

I'm pretty used to using Microsoft SQL Server with my job, but I'm playing around with MySQL. I have a database, and I've set it up all fancy, if I want to view the SQL to create the schema for this entire database, (PK's, FK's, Tables, etc etc), how would I get that out of the MySQL workbench? I'm feeling a bit lost in the unfamiliar environment = /

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

CCrew posted:

I'm pretty used to using Microsoft SQL Server with my job, but I'm playing around with MySQL. I have a database, and I've set it up all fancy, if I want to view the SQL to create the schema for this entire database, (PK's, FK's, Tables, etc etc), how would I get that out of the MySQL workbench? I'm feeling a bit lost in the unfamiliar environment = /

I never use MySql Workbench (only EMS MySQL manager which IMO is a poo poo ton better), but you can do this using mysqldump and the --no-data switch from the command line.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

Begby posted:

I never use MySql Workbench (only EMS MySQL manager which IMO is a poo poo ton better), but you can do this using mysqldump and the --no-data switch from the command line.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html

That seems to have a lot more than I need, I'm just looking for info on table definitions, nothing about the actual data within the table. In other words, if I were to get the SQL for the database I set up, I could set up an identical empty database elsewhere.

I'll look into this in the meantime though, thanks!

CCrew
Nov 5, 2007

Ah, I found there is a "Reverse Engineer" option, that I used to reverse engineer my database...then forward engineer into a SQL script. Probably a way to complex method, but it works!

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great

CCrew posted:

In other words, if I were to get the SQL for the database I set up, I could set up an identical empty database elsewhere.

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/mysqldump.html#option_mysqldump_no-data posted:

--no-data, -d

Do not write any table row information (that is, do not dump table contents). This is useful if you want to dump only the CREATE TABLE statement for the table (for example, to create an empty copy of the table by loading the dump file).
You sure this isn't exactly what you requested?

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

beuges posted:

We have a system with a transactional database, which is being replicated to a reporting database for performance. To minimize the changes required, our DB guy is going to set up some sort of linked server between the two, because the app can only connect to one data source for working with the transactional stuff as well as pulling reports.

I have to modify all the report queries in the app (yes the sql is hardcoded in the app, rather than stored procs, no I can't change this yet) to reference the tables on the linked server rather than the transactional db. This is fine for the most part, but I just came across a report that's retrieving a sequence.nextval from dual.

Can I reference a sequence.nextval from dual over a linked server?

This is using Oracle 10g.

I thought the answer to this was no, but apparently I was wrong (assuming that by "linked server" you're talking about a dblink).

code:
SELECT mysequence.NEXTVAL
  FROM dual@mydblink
http://www.orafaq.com/forum/t/122150/0/

MoNsTeR
Jun 29, 2002

You can also reference it as my_sequence.nextval@mydblink, e.g.
code:
insert into my_table@remotedb (key, value) values (my_seq.nextval@remotedb, :v_foo);
Edit to add: doing complex queries over dblinks is a Bad Idea and should be avoided if at all possible. I expect it's not possible in your situation, but just be aware you're swimming into troubled waters.

beuges
Jul 4, 2005
fluffy bunny butterfly broomstick

MoNsTeR posted:

Edit to add: doing complex queries over dblinks is a Bad Idea and should be avoided if at all possible. I expect it's not possible in your situation, but just be aware you're swimming into troubled waters.

So doing a few dozen joins over dblinks on tables with millions of rows might cause hassles? This entire system needs to go into the coding horrors thread. Thank goodness my team inherited it from another region rather than bearing the shame of having written it themselves. :suicide:

Thanks for the help though. I'll see how badly things turn out soon enough.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Light saber? Check. Black boots? Check. Codpiece? Check. He's more machine than kid now.

CCrew posted:

Ah, I found there is a "Reverse Engineer" option, that I used to reverse engineer my database...then forward engineer into a SQL script. Probably a way to complex method, but it works!

What I gave you is exactly what you wanted, you simply run mysqldump with the --no-data switch and it dumps the table structure, with no data, as SQL.

"mysqldump --all-databases --no-data > myfile.sql"

Also, there is a program from EMS that will convert table structure and/or data from MySql to SQL Server and vice-versa.

http://www.sqlmanager.net/en/products/datapump

I am sure there are other programs out there that do the same thing.

bobmarleysghost
Mar 7, 2006

I've been trying to find an answer to my question in the MySQL reference site but I still can't get this to work.

I have a database with lets say two tables, table ONE and table TWO. I need to create a trigger that updates table two when a row in table one is updated.

What I have is something like this:

code:
DELIMITER $$
CREATE TRIGGER `after_update_tblONE` AFTER UPDATE ON `one` 
    FOR EACH ROW 
    BEGIN
	INSERT INTO two
	(
	population
	)
	VALUES
	(
	NEW.population
	);
    END $$
DELIMITER ;
What is obvious is that I need to link the two tables based on "population", but how would I do that inside of a trigger?

PS. I need the update on table ONE to be added to the population in table TWO.

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

Santa is strapped posted:

I've been trying to find an answer to my question in the MySQL reference site but I still can't get this to work.

I have a database with lets say two tables, table ONE and table TWO. I need to create a trigger that updates table two when a row in table one is updated.

What I have is something like this:

code:
DELIMITER $$
CREATE TRIGGER `after_update_tblONE` AFTER UPDATE ON `one` 
    FOR EACH ROW 
    BEGIN
	INSERT INTO two
	(
	population
	)
	VALUES
	(
	NEW.population
	);
    END $$
DELIMITER ;
What is obvious is that I need to link the two tables based on "population", but how would I do that inside of a trigger?

PS. I need the update on table ONE to be added to the population in table TWO.

I assume if you need to link the two, then add to the population it would be something like:

code:
UPDATE two
SET population = population + NEW.population
WHERE ID = NEW.ID

Juul-Whip
Mar 10, 2008

I have a table with a composite primary key, which consists of two foreign keys which reference the same primary key on another table.

code:
CREATE TABLE People (
name VarChar NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (name)
)

CREATE TABLE Friends (
person1 VarChar NOT NULL,
person2 VarChar NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (person1, person2),
FOREIGN KEY (person1) REFERENCES People(name) ON DELETE CASCADE,
FOREIGN KEY (person2) REFERENCES People(name),
CHECK (person1 != person2)
) 
This prevents duplicate friend pairs (Betty cannot be friends with Charlie twice), but I want to disallow reversals as well (Betty cannot be friends with Charlie if Charlie is already friends with Betty).

I also want it to cascade deletions for person2 as well but this is not allowed by SQL Server (may cause cycles or multiple cascade paths).

Do I have to make triggers to enforce these constraints?

ShoulderDaemon
Oct 9, 2003
support goon fund
Taco Defender

THC posted:

I have a table with a composite primary key, which consists of two foreign keys which reference the same primary key on another table.

Just constrain the Friends table so that person1 is strictly less than person2. It means when you insert you only have to do a marginal bit of extra work and in exchange you prevent duplicate edges in your friendship graph.

I don't know what to do about your cascade problem, though.

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep
I have some SQL that looks like this:
code:
Select f.ID
FROM tblFeedback f 
Inner Join tblPerformance p 
Inner Join tblUsers u On u.userID = p.employeeID1
On p.performanceID = f.performanceID
Where f.ID = $feedbackID
This came from a bizarre application that uses PHP and MSSQL. Notice the second last line? The join is happening on line three but that ON statement is way down below with another join happening in between.

I'm converting this app to use MySQL and while its fine for the most part statements like these make MySQL cry. I can fix things by moving the second last line back up beside the join on the third line.

My instincts say this isn't going to affect the result but I honestly haven't seen this before. Is this something that MSSQL just lets slide or am I looking at some sort of very fancy MSSQL specific join?

8ender fucked around with this message at 05:54 on Dec 2, 2010

bloodsoup
Jun 7, 2005
I just installed MySQL Server 5.1 to learn on. What's the best free resource you know of for learning sql? It would be really nice if it had example data and a way for me to test myself as well, like sql code that I would first have to try to create and then could check by running the correct code, kind of like the answers at the back of the book.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!

8ender posted:

code:
Select f.ID
FROM tblFeedback f 
Where f.ID = $feedbackID
This came from a bizarre application that uses PHP and MSSQL. Notice the second last line? The join is happening on line three but that ON statement is way down below with another join happening in between.

I'm converting this app to use MySQL and while its fine for the most part statements like these make MySQL cry. I can fix things by moving the second last line back up beside the join on the third line.

My instincts say this isn't going to affect the result but I honestly haven't seen this before. Is this something that MSSQL just lets slide or am I looking at some sort of very fancy MSSQL specific join?

Only use On right after the Join for the specific table otherwise move it from an ON statement down to there where.

The On statement should only apply to the join right before it with 2 on statements like that it shouldn't even work.

code:
select *
from table
inner join table1 on table.field = table1.field 
inner join table 2 on table1.field1 = table2.field1
where table.field = $id

Begby
Apr 7, 2005

bloodsoup posted:

I just installed MySQL Server 5.1 to learn on. What's the best free resource you know of for learning sql? It would be really nice if it had example data and a way for me to test myself as well, like sql code that I would first have to try to create and then could check by running the correct code, kind of like the answers at the back of the book.

If you don't already know about relational databases, the best place to start is learning about table structure and how to properly represent data in multiple tables. You should try to get a good grasp on what normalization means and the different forms. This knowledge is very important and carries over to any relational type database.

There are a lot of books out there on database theory and you don't necessarily need a database in front of you to learn it. After you get that, then try and figure out MySql, which will probably be easy for you to pick up at that point.

Avarkx
Feb 11, 2003

:):):):):)

THC posted:

code:
CREATE TABLE People (
name VarChar NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (name)
)

CREATE TABLE Friends (
person1 VarChar NOT NULL,
person2 VarChar NOT NULL,
PRIMARY KEY (person1, person2),
FOREIGN KEY (person1) REFERENCES People(name) ON DELETE CASCADE,
FOREIGN KEY (person2) REFERENCES People(name),
CHECK (person1 != person2)
) 
This prevents duplicate friend pairs (Betty cannot be friends with Charlie twice), but I want to disallow reversals as well (Betty cannot be friends with Charlie if Charlie is already friends with Betty).

I also want it to cascade deletions for person2 as well but this is not allowed by SQL Server (may cause cycles or multiple cascade paths).

Do I have to make triggers to enforce these constraints?

Changing to CHECK ( person1 < person2 ) is completely valid, but if you might not have control over the order the names are inserted, you can use a unique compound computed column with relatively minimal additional overhead as well. It's really a matter of which way is likely to generate less exceptions in your application.

Unfortunately, the only way to get around the cyclic cascade issue is to create a trigger. Fortunately, it's not that big of a deal.
code:
CREATE TABLE People 
(
	name VARCHAR( 4 ) NOT NULL,
	PRIMARY KEY (name)
);
GO

CREATE TABLE Friends 
(
	person1 VARCHAR( 4 ) NOT NULL,
	person2 VARCHAR( 4 ) NOT NULL,
	uniquecompound AS CASE
				WHEN person1 < person2
				  THEN person1 + person2
				ELSE person2 + person1
			  END UNIQUE,
	PRIMARY KEY ( person1, person2 ),
	FOREIGN KEY ( person1 ) REFERENCES People( name ) ON DELETE CASCADE,
	FOREIGN KEY ( person2 ) REFERENCES People( name ),
	CHECK ( person1 != person2 )
);
GO

CREATE TRIGGER trg_OnDeleteCascade_PeopleFriends_person2
	ON	People INSTEAD OF DELETE
AS
BEGIN

DELETE	f
	FROM	Friends f
	INNER JOIN DELETED d
		ON	f.person2 = d.name;

DELETE	t 
	FROM	DELETED d
	INNER JOIN People t
		ON	t.name = d.name;
END;
GO

SET NOCOUNT ON;

INSERT INTO People
	SELECT  'Bill'
UNION	SELECT	'Mary'
UNION	SELECT	'Adam'
UNION	SELECT	'Jeff'
UNION	SELECT	'Mark';

INSERT INTO Friends
	SELECT	'Mary', 'Bill'
UNION	SELECT  'Jeff', 'Adam';
GO

SELECT	*
FROM	Friends;
GO

INSERT INTO Friends
	SELECT	'Bill', 'Mary';
GO

DELETE FROM People
WHERE	name = 'Mary';

SELECT	*
FROM	Friends;
GO

DELETE FROM People
WHERE	NAME = 'Adam';

SELECT	*
FROM	Friends;
GO

DROP TABLE Friends;
DROP TABLE People;
GO

SET NOCOUNT OFF;
Now you could just catch UNIQUE constraint violations.

8ender posted:

code:
Select f.ID
FROM tblFeedback f 
Where f.ID = $feedbackID

While I feel that the original query is abhorrent, they're still equivalent for the inner joining. Just make sure to look for differences in the execution plans when you modify the queries you're exporting. It might be a good idea to do that anyway as MS SQL and MySQL sometimes deal with things that look exactly the same quite differently, like CROSS JOINs; MySQL, MS SQL

code:
CREATE TABLE T1
(
	x	INTEGER	NOT NULL
);
GO

CREATE TABLE T2
(
	x	INTEGER NOT NULL,
	y	INTEGER NOT NULL
);
GO

CREATE TABLE T3
(
	y	INTEGER NOT NULL
);
GO

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL ON;
GO

SELECT	*
FROM	T1
INNER JOIN T2
		INNER JOIN T3
			ON	T2.y = T3.y
	ON	T1.x = T2.x;
GO

SELECT	*
FROM	T1
INNER JOIN T2
	ON	T1.x = T2.x
INNER JOIN T3
	ON	T2.y = T3.y;
GO

SET SHOWPLAN_ALL OFF;
GO

DROP TABLE T1;
DROP TABLE T2;
DROP TABLE T3;
GO
You can do something similar with MySQL with the EXPLAIN keyword iirc

Avarkx fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Dec 3, 2010

8ender
Sep 24, 2003

clown is watching you sleep

Sprawl posted:

Only use On right after the Join for the specific table otherwise move it from an ON statement down to there where.

The On statement should only apply to the join right before it with 2 on statements like that it shouldn't even work.

I definitely know where the ON should go, thats what was confusing me. I thought I might be looking at some sort of MSSQL specific voodoo happening. Good to know I was just looking at a poorly written statement. It looks like MSSQL is as loose about the rules with SQL as Internet Explorer is with HTML markup.

Avarkx posted:

While I feel that the original query is abhorrent, they're still equivalent for the inner joining. Just make sure to look for differences in the execution plans when you modify the queries you're exporting. It might be a good idea to do that anyway as MS SQL and MySQL sometimes deal with things that look exactly the same quite differently, like CROSS JOINs; MySQL, MS SQL

Thankfully the queries aren't that sophisticated for the most part. Only real problems I've run into so far is places where the TOP and IsNull commands are being used. MySQL has a pretty straightforward alternative for those. The queries where I've moved the ON statements back beside the join seem to be returning the same result. The whole app seems faster on MySQL but that may be because I added all the indexes and foreign keys it should have had in the first place. :(

The exercise is giving me a healthy appreciation for ORMs though. So many of these queries were simple enough that they really should have been handled by decent ORM. A nice PHP one was installed and then just used to run straight SQL. Bummer.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008
So I'm learning to use mySQL to ease my work with the NCBI databases. The problem is they are quite large, and my queries against them are throwing errors left and right.

What I have is my own database, with the tables from NCBI loaded into them (roughly 20mil rows, 1.8gb for one). Against that, I have a simply query, no issues there. My problem is that I keep on getting two errors any time my queries go longer then 600 seconds against the server, namely errors 2006 and 2013 Lost connection to server and server has gone away. Seeing as how the server is literally my desktop and I'm right on it, this seems a bit weird. All of my queries are over 600 seconds long, so this is a problem. Weirder, I can go into my admin panel and see the query still executing, so as a stopgap I'm dumping them into tables and pulling those back out later.

I know it's something trivial to do with my setup, but I can't find anything recent on the internet and, well...here I am.

I'm using mySQL workbench 5.1.53 and mySQL server 5.5 (I think).

Appreciate the help, and hope I'm in the right place :(.

Iniluki
Mar 31, 2003

The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
Grimey Drawer

EtaBetaPi posted:

So I'm learning to use mySQL to ease my work with the NCBI databases. The problem is they are quite large, and my queries against them are throwing errors left and right.

What I have is my own database, with the tables from NCBI loaded into them (roughly 20mil rows, 1.8gb for one). Against that, I have a simply query, no issues there. My problem is that I keep on getting two errors any time my queries go longer then 600 seconds against the server, namely errors 2006 and 2013 Lost connection to server and server has gone away. Seeing as how the server is literally my desktop and I'm right on it, this seems a bit weird. All of my queries are over 600 seconds long, so this is a problem. Weirder, I can go into my admin panel and see the query still executing, so as a stopgap I'm dumping them into tables and pulling those back out later.

I know it's something trivial to do with my setup, but I can't find anything recent on the internet and, well...here I am.

I'm using mySQL workbench 5.1.53 and mySQL server 5.5 (I think).

Appreciate the help, and hope I'm in the right place :(.

The workbench I have installed on this machine is a little newer than the one you're using, but I'm assuming everything is in the same place.

There is a preference in WorkBench that sets the connection keep-alive to 600 seconds. Change that.

EtaBetaPi
Aug 11, 2008

Iniluki posted:

The workbench I have installed on this machine is a little newer than the one you're using, but I'm assuming everything is in the same place.

There is a preference in WorkBench that sets the connection keep-alive to 600 seconds. Change that.

Done, still dies on me. Tried to set it to 0, 1, and 1000 and it keeps on crapping out at 600 seconds exactly.

Sprawl
Nov 21, 2005

I'm a huge retarded sperglord who can't spell, but Starfleet Dental would still take me and I love them for it!
Could the server be running out of memory, what does the mysql error log say?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
I'm just getting into using the CLR to create TSQL procedures and I'm running into a problem with error handling. What I'm doing is creating a TSQL stored procedure that will call a CLR procedure (gets a response from a webpage). The TSQL stored proc will be running in a transactional space in a TRY/CATCH block and will need to catch any errors generated in the CLR proc and rollback the transaction. The problem is when I enlose the call to the CLR proc in a TRY/CATCH I get the following error:

"Msg 0, Level 11, State 0, Line 0
A severe error occurred on the current command. The results, if any, should be discarded."

Here is my TSQL code:

code:
SET NOCOUNT ON;

BEGIN TRY
	EXEC test;
END TRY

BEGIN CATCH
	SELECT @@ERROR;
END CATCH
Here is a sample CLR proc that I wrote to test out the error handling:

code:
Partial Public Class StoredProcedures
    <Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlProcedure()> _
    Public Shared Sub  test ()
        Using conn As New SqlConnection("context connection=true")

Dim cmd As New SqlCommand("Select 1/0", conn)
            cmd.CommandTimeout = 6000
            cmd.CommandType = CommandType.Text

conn.Open()

SqlContext.Pipe.ExecuteAndSend(cmd)

End Using

End Sub
End Class
Here is what I've tried:
Enclosing the offending CLR code in a TRY/CATCH block.

Having no TRY/CATCH in the CLR code (see example)

Built the CLR proc against both the 2.0 and 3.5 NET framework.

I am testing this on a SQL 2008 Dev edition install I have on my computer (No service packs, currently downloading SP2 to see if it helps)

Any ideas?

Iniluki
Mar 31, 2003

The metal will strike you down with a vicious blow
Grimey Drawer

EtaBetaPi posted:

Done, still dies on me. Tried to set it to 0, 1, and 1000 and it keeps on crapping out at 600 seconds exactly.

It's strange that it's after 600 seconds it sounds like a setting somewhere. Check inside the Mysql config file my.cnf [linux / bsd] / my.ini [windows] and see if there is this set

interactive_timeout = 600 # seconds to waits for activity on interactive connection

Also what happens when you run the query through the command line interface to your mysql server?

Just-In-Timeberlake
Aug 18, 2003
Well, I've kind of fixed my issue. If the error is in the query (Select 1/0) then it blows up. If the issue is .NET code (Convert.toInt32("abc")) then it handles the error ok.

Really wish there was a way to catch the query error though.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
Is there a way to compress a WHERE clause that looks like this

(MySQL 5.1)

SELECT Blah
FROM Blah
WHERE Blah = '1'
OR Blah = '2'
OR Blah = '4'

into some form like

SELECT Blah
FROM Blah
WHERE Blah = '1','2','3'

edit. None of the provided operators will work, nor BETWEEN or LIKE or anything like that.

Hammerite
Mar 9, 2007

And you don't remember what I said here, either, but it was pompous and stupid.
Jade Ear Joe

i am not zach posted:

Is there a way to compress a WHERE clause that looks like this

(MySQL 5.1)

SELECT Blah
FROM Blah
WHERE Blah = '1'
OR Blah = '2'
OR Blah = '4'

into some form like

SELECT Blah
FROM Blah
WHERE Blah = '1','2','3'

edit. None of the provided operators will work, nor BETWEEN or LIKE or anything like that.

WHERE Blah IN ('1', '2', '3')

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

Hammerite posted:

WHERE Blah IN ('1', '2', '3')

Thank you so much!

gotly
Oct 28, 2007
Economy-Sized
I am looking for a program like Microsoft Visio that can be used to visually mock-up data models. Something web based would be awesome.

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players
I have a MySQL performance question. I'm expanding a system that builds reports out of parameters specified by the user. Right now they are limited to the past 18 months, as we archive records by year after that.

I figure I have two options for if their search involves something in the archives:

1. Union the tables based on the dates that they have in their query. So if they request data from 2008 and 2010 for some reason, I can just union the 2008 table with the current one. I'm guessing this will be a pain in the rear end to do, but I can do it.

2. Union all the tables in a view and just do a query based on that. This would be easier, and I'm not sure if it would be much slower than option 1.

The tables have about 7 million records on average and go back to 2000.

magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.
I need to select a record based on criteria of the record that happened directly before it (chronologically) for a particular employee. I have no idea how to do this since there isn't a relationship.

Here is a pseudo data set of Events, where every event has a FK relationship to a location (not important), a status, and an employee:

I'd like to select a count of all events, grouped by EmployeeId, where:
1. StatusId = 1
2. The last event by that EmployeeId was a 9.

So, in the data set above, records with EventIds 3 and 5 would be counted, the rest would not.

I've ordered them in a chronological order, but note that the preceding record for any event is not necessarily related to that employee. For instance, Event #7 does not count because the last event related to that employee, chronologically, (event 3), has StatusId of 1, not 9.

magic_toaster fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Dec 15, 2010

Goat Bastard
Oct 20, 2004

magic_toaster posted:

I'd like to select a count of all events, grouped by EmployeeId, where:
1. StatusId = 1
2. The last event by that EmployeeId was a 9.

You want to use an analytic function like lag(). I'm not sure what type of db you're using, but here's how you'd do it in Oracle (which you can't be using since you have a column called 'date'...).

Hopefully you can adapt it for whatever you've got.

code:
SQL> CREATE TABLE events
  2  (eventid    NUMBER PRIMARY KEY
  3  ,employeeid NUMBER
  4  ,eventdate DATE
  5  ,statusid   NUMBER
  6  );

Table created.

SQL>
SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (2, 2, to_date('01/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 9);

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (3, 2, to_date('02/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 1);

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (4, 3, to_date('03/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 9);

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (5, 3, to_date('04/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 1);

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (6, 3, to_date('05/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 1);

1 row created.

SQL> INSERT INTO events VALUES (7, 2, to_date('06/12/10','dd/mm/rr'), 1);

1 row created.

SQL>
SQL> SELECT eventid
  2        ,employeeid
  3        ,statusid
  4        ,lag(statusid) OVER (PARTITION BY employeeid ORDER BY eventdate) AS prev_statusid
  5  FROM   events;

EVENTID EMPLOYEEID   STATUSID PREV_STATUSID
---------- ---------- ---------- -------------
         2          2          9
         3          2          1             9
         7          2          1             1
         4          3          9
         5          3          1             9
         6          3          1             1

6 rows selected.

SQL>
SQL> SELECT    employeeid
  2           ,count(*)
  3  FROM     (SELECT eventid
  4                  ,employeeid
  5                  ,statusid
  6                  ,lag(statusid) OVER (PARTITION BY employeeid ORDER BY eventdate) AS prev_statusid
  7            FROM   events
  8           )
  9  WHERE     statusid = 1
 10  AND       prev_statusid = 9
 11  GROUP BY  employeeid;

EMPLOYEEID   COUNT(*)
---------- ----------
         2          1
         3          1
Edit: Partition by. I knew I had forgotten about something. Boy is my face red.

Goat Bastard fucked around with this message at 06:28 on Dec 16, 2010

Jethro
Jun 1, 2000

I was raised on the dairy, Bitch!
If you're running mssql 2005 or greater, you don't get the lag analytical function, but you do get the row_number() analytical function.

code:
with RankedEvents as (
select EventId
      ,EmployeeId
      ,Date
      ,LocationId
      ,StatusId
      ,row_number() over (partition by EmployeeId order by Date, EventId) EventRank
  from EventTable
)
select RE.EmployeeId
      ,count(*)
  from RankedEvents RE
       inner join RankedEvents S9 on RE.EmployeeId = S9.EmployeeId
                  and RE.EventRank = S9.EventRank + 1
 where S9.StatusId = 9
group by RE.EmployeeId

Jethro fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Dec 15, 2010

magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.
Thanks for the two replies. Here's what I've been able to come up with:

code:
SELECT EmployeeId, count(*)  from Event as e1
WHERE e1.StatusId = 1
and exists (
SELECT * FROM 
(
SELECT TOP 1 * FROM Event AS e2 
WHERE
e1.date > e2.date 
ORDER BY e2.date DESC
) AS e3
WHERE e3.EmployeeId=e1.EmployeeId 
AND  e3.StatusId = 9 
)
GROUP BY EmployeeId
This does exactly what I want, but it seems to scale like absolute poo poo. The dataset this is being executed on right now is about 80,000 records. However, the dataset will likely grow to 1MM within the next year, and far beyond. I need to get it to execute well over at least 150k. Does anyone see anything blatantly obvious in that query?

I should also mention that e1 is being inner joined with 4 other tables, which as it stands, cannot be avoided. There is a filter that is done on the events that requires a value from a table that is 4 tables away. We're going to look into how the events table can become less reliant.

magic_toaster
Dec 26, 2003
No.

Jethro posted:

If you're running mssql 2005 or greater, you don't get the lag analytical function, but you do get the row_number() analytical function.

code:
with RankedEvents as (
select EventId
      ,EmployeeId
      ,Date
      ,LocationId
      ,StatusId
      ,row_number() over (partition by EmployeeId order by Date, EventId) EventRank
  from EventTable
)
select RE.EmployeeId
      ,count(*)
  from RankedEvents RE
       inner join RankedEvents S9 on RE.EmployeeId = S9.EmployeeId
                  and RE.EventRank = S9.EventRank + 1
 where S9.StatusId = 9
group by RE.EmployeeId

Thanks! I'll convert this over to the real data set tomorrow morning and see if it performs better than my solution above.

TildeATH
Oct 21, 2010

by Lowtax
Triggers in MySQL.

I'd like to update a recent_changes table with the user, time, action and preferably number of rows affected for any DELETE or UPDATE query. I haven't worked with triggers or stored procedures but have done quite a bit with regular querying, so I'm just looking for a nice skeleton to work off of.

My assumption, based on the manual, is:

code:
create trigger track_changes
after insert on target_table
for each row
begin
SET @totalrows = @totalrows + 1;
INSERT INTO recent_changes
(agent, action, timestamp, totalchanges) VALUES(@@agent?,"INSERT",@@timestamp,@totalrows)
end
Two problems I already see: What's the system variable for the current user agent? How do I initialized @totalrows within the trigger to start it at 0?

Any help or a nice skeleton would be appreciated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aturaten
Mar 23, 2008

by elpintogrande
So my SQL is rusty as all gently caress, so do you think anyone could link me to a sample database that I could play around with and get back up to speed?