Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Omerta
Feb 19, 2007

I thought short arms were good for benching :smith:

Linguica posted:

lawschool.jpg

That's beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrSmirnoff
Oct 27, 2005
happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy happy
3,000 words and exactly 22 hours to go let's fuckin do this

:madmax:

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM
I just had my first Army Reserv JAG drill weekend and it was pretty cool, lots of sitting around but we also wrote a will for an old lady whose husband is a deceased vet. First time I've practiced law ever!

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
Hey Roger, I should be in Dallas in about 3 weeks for Christmas. Want to go to Tei An's rooftop bar for a drink?

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Linguica posted:

lawschool.jpg

Oh my god. Background for this thread. Can we do that? I'll pay if it's reasonable.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.

Defleshed posted:

I just had my first Army Reserv JAG drill weekend and it was pretty cool, lots of sitting around but we also wrote a will for an old lady whose husband is a deceased vet. First time I've practiced law ever!

I want to talk to you about this, can you get on AIM or drop by #lawgoons?

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

DEATH WISH AT 120 DECIBELS
Contents of trashcan emptied from office:

Boxes for wireless keyboard & mouse combo and new external hard drive, used condom & wrapper, and bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Omerta posted:

Just thought I would come post this for a little exam demotivation.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunning%96Kruger_effect

Demotivation? This is actually motivating, at least for those of us with anxiety about finals.

Roger_Mudd
Jul 18, 2003

Buglord

CaptainScraps posted:

Hey Roger, I should be in Dallas in about 3 weeks for Christmas. Want to go to Tei An's rooftop bar for a drink?

Sounds good, should I wear something sexy? ;-*

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Leon Kowalski posted:

Demotivation? This is actually motivating, at least for those of us with anxiety about finals.

I don't think you 'get' the Dunning-Kruger effect.

Alaemon
Jan 4, 2009

Proctors are guardians of the sanctity and integrity of legal education, therefore they are responsible for the nourishment of the soul.

Petey posted:

Yeah, but he THINKS he does.

Petey
Nov 26, 2005

For who knows what is good for a person in life, during the few and meaningless days they pass through like a shadow? Who can tell them what will happen under the sun after they are gone?

Alaemon posted:

Yeah, but he THINKS he does.

and the ouroboros eats its tail

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

Wolf Den this is Lone Wolf, do you read? Prepare for emergency landing, arriving with American POWs!

Petey posted:

Explain.

The effect "explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence." This is why I said being anxious about finals may be a source of motivation (i.e. one's anxiety may indicate actual competence).

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

I need to go stock the office fridge for this week since my MSJ/Daubert motions are almost due. The only question is whether I'll have the willpower to stock it with something other than liqour.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Leon Kowalski posted:

Explain.

The effect "explains why actual competence may weaken self-confidence." This is why I said being anxious about finals may be a source of motivation (i.e. one's anxiety may indicate actual competence).

You fuckin dummy

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!
How is UCLA law in terms of getting a job and probability of dying alone?

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Totally Negro posted:

Better than some.
Worse than others.

Remember SoCal has like 100 law schools.

Defleshed
Nov 18, 2004

F is for... FREEDOM

prussian advisor posted:

I want to talk to you about this, can you get on AIM or drop by #lawgoons?

I don't usually use irc or AIM, but you can drop me a line at defleshedSA at gmail dot com.

Tetrix
Aug 24, 2002

Stunt Rock posted:

Contents of trashcan emptied from office:

Boxes for wireless keyboard & mouse combo and new external hard drive, used condom & wrapper, and bottle of Bailey's Irish Cream.

I'm hoping all were properly deducted as business expenses.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I found a bar that serves german beer by the liter.

uguu

Leon Kowalski
Dec 9, 2007

hypocrite lecteur posted:

You fuckin dummy

Looks like you're staying true to the "die alone" part of this thread's creed.

Mookie
Mar 22, 2005

I have to return some videotapes.

Stunt Rock posted:

I need to go stock the office fridge for this week since my MSJ/Daubert motions are almost due. The only question is whether I'll have the willpower to stock it with something other than liqour.

Mixers are often sadly non-alcoholic.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.

Stunt Rock posted:

Ice. Not for your Scotch though. There are other drinks you should have in order to have a balanced diet.

Stunt Rock
Jul 28, 2002

On the plus side the Daubert motion shouldn't be hard, the other sides designation of expert was less than a page.

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels

Totally Negro posted:

Depends on where you're looking to set up shop. In SoCal it's strong with LA and the OC, but I don't know about San Diego. I offer the fact that I've never met a UCLA lawyer down there or know of one who practices in Lawyer Town (almost every single big law firm office is situated near one another in a Del Mar office park down there). Put it this way, I've met more SD lawyers who are working that went to Hastings then I have who went to UCLA, and no one here would tell you Hastings is a better school.

Probably would help answer better if we knew more about your goals other than "want job." If you want legal job go to Yale.

Colorblind Pilot
Dec 29, 2006
Enageg!1
Just found out I got into Columbia for the Fall. I know everyone's saying there are no jobs and I'm going to die alone, but what you guys don't realize is that I'm planning on doing international law. I'm going to save the world.

prussian advisor
Jan 15, 2007

The day you see a camera come into our courtroom, its going to roll over my dead body.
So now that the deadline for taking the exam has passed, do any other PMF nominees have any thoughts on the PMF online examination? Have any of you talked to professors with agency contacts to try to get the ball rolling on possible agency placements even this far in advance?

qwertyman
May 2, 2003

Congress gave me $3.1 trillion, which I already spent on extremely dangerous drugs. We had acid, cocaine, and a whole galaxy of uppers, downers, screamers, laughers, and amyls.
Passed the MPRE. Apparently I can do worse on this than the average person and still be good enough to meet professional responsibility standards in any state that uses that exam.

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

sigmachiev posted:

Depends on where you're looking to set up shop. In SoCal it's strong with LA and the OC, but I don't know about San Diego. I offer the fact that I've never met a UCLA lawyer down there or know of one who practices in Lawyer Town (almost every single big law firm office is situated near one another in a Del Mar office park down there). Put it this way, I've met more SD lawyers who are working that went to Hastings then I have who went to UCLA, and no one here would tell you Hastings is a better school.

Probably would help answer better if we knew more about your goals other than "want job." If you want legal job go to Yale.

Oh no, I'm not interested in Law School. I go to UCLA for something completely unrelated, but I live near and hang out with law students often. I was just wondering how screwed/set they are, but didn't want to ask them outright.

Direwolf
Aug 16, 2004
Fwar

Colorblind Pilot posted:

Just found out I got into Columbia for the Fall. I know everyone's saying there are no jobs and I'm going to die alone, but what you guys don't realize is that I'm planning on doing international law. I'm going to save the world.

Get in line buddy. Not only am I going to save the world I am literally getting an LLM in International Human Rights

http://www.law.northwestern.edu/llm/llm_ihr.html

(I am not really but I have friends here who are and I would be lying if I said I hadn't considered it, Secret Asian Man can confirm)

srsly
Aug 1, 2003

qwertyman posted:

Apparently I can do worse on this than the average person and still be good enough

This statement will be true for virtually any exam that has a pass rate higher than 50% unless there's a seriously funky score distribution divorcing the average from the median.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.
I passed the mpre by 23 points and I'm a borderline sociopath

thanks law thread for convincing me not to study too hard

Wavelet
Jun 1, 2009

Totally Negro posted:

Oh no, I'm not interested in Law School. I go to UCLA for something completely unrelated, but I live near and hang out with law students often. I was just wondering how screwed/set they are, but didn't want to ask them outright.

About 20-25% of the current 2L class has a BigLaw summer job lined up. UCLA obviously places a lot of students in LA, but it has decent placement in SD and NorCal as well (especially for students who have connections there). I know at least two people in my small section heading up to NorCal this summer -- one to Latham SV and one to MoFo SF. Another in my small section is going to Troutman Sanders in SD, and I was offered a job with Fish & Richardson in SD (but I turned them down for an LA firm).

Totally Normal
Mar 29, 2003

WELLNESS!

Wavelet posted:

About 20-25% of the current 2L class has a BigLaw summer job lined up. UCLA obviously places a lot of students in LA, but it has decent placement in SD and NorCal as well (especially for students who have connections there). I know at least two people in my small section heading up to NorCal this summer -- one to Latham SV and one to MoFo SF. Another in my small section is going to Troutman Sanders in SD, and I was offered a job with Fish & Richardson in SD (but I turned them down for an LA firm).

Good to hear you cats are doing alright. I assume 20-25% having a summer job lined up is a pretty big deal for any law school. What of the remaining 80-75%? Do they all have SmallLaw internships lined up, or other similar opportunities? Is there a significant percentage of students with nothing on their plates despite interest?

Also a general question to those reading: Do you foresee a reversal in what's happening to the law profession? If so, when? Or has the dilution of a non T14 law degree caused irreparable damage?

Another reason I keep up on this thread is because, as I've mentioned before, my brother is interested in law school and I have tons of friends who are either currently in law school or seriously thinking about it. Thanks for all the good info and reads.

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

So I read through the OP and the FAQs, but I'm not necessarily dissuaded. (Because I'm an idiot.)

Right now I'm at Northeastern in my third year (about three semesters from graduating; thanks to co-ops, it's weird, but hey, pseudo-relevant job experience). I have a 3.5 GPA.

Ever since early high school, I've been interested in US government, politics, and federal law. The idea of becoming a lawyer, either in federal law or civil rights law, is really appealing to me. I'm in early stages, considering whether the work and effort would be worth it; ideally, I'd like a job with the ACLU in litigation.

This past semester, I've been doing work as a research assistant at Boston College in social work, and I'm taking a few relevant courses (Law and Social Justice, A-; Law and Social Policy next semester, writing for pre-law as well.) I took a free practice LSAT that Kaplan put out, and got a 164; wanted to see how I'd do before any formal prep, but I'm not 100% sure of a) how useful those tests are, and b) what that precisely means.

So I have a few questions:

1. Is anyone here in civil rights/constitutional law?
2. What law schools would be good for this kind of path?
3. Could I get into those law schools with a 3.5ish and (assuming studying/prepping hard gets me up maybe five or six points) a 170?

I would add 4. Am I stupid for thinking this? but I know the answer.

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Teddybear posted:

1. Is anyone here in civil rights/constitutional law?
2. What law schools would be good for this kind of path?
3. Could I get into those law schools with a 3.5ish and (assuming studying/prepping hard gets me up maybe five or six points) a 170?

I would add 4. Am I stupid for thinking this? but I know the answer.

you're this youtube, literally.

Teddybear posted:

The idea of becoming a lawyer, either in federal law or civil rights law, is really appealing to me.

:-)

Teddybear posted:

I'd like a job with the ACLU in litigation.

:tipshat:

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Dec 7, 2010

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

you're this youtube, literally.

...well. Not constitutional law then. :blush:

At heart, I'm just a big ol' softie idealist who wants to make a difference, gersh dernint :kiddo:

That's not necessarily the only interest I have, though; I've considered doing defense/prosecution trial law in Boston/NYC, and I've given thought to moving to Toronto/Ottawa, either for law or for other fields.

Again, I'm in the early stages. I'm fully aware that I sound rather stupid, but I'm used to it.

Teddybear fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 7, 2010

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Get into Harvard then and compete with the hundreds if not thousands of talented, intelligent, qualified people who would very literally suck a penis to work at the ACLU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

Get into Harvard then and compete with the hundreds if not thousands of talented, intelligent, qualified people who would very literally suck a penis to work at the ACLU

Right, right, point made.

Beyond the magical happy-land unicorns farting rainbows of liberalism best-case scenario (I'm named Teddybear for a reason), I'm also interested in defense law, immigration law, and civil law in NY, MA, or ON. I've still got quite a while before any of this can even be remotely feasible, but I'd like to know what my options are and get disabused of some of my stupid naivety. :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hypocrite lecteur
Aug 21, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Teddybear posted:

I'm also interested in defense law, immigration law, and civil law in NY, MA, or ON.

Get into Harvard then and compete with the thousands if not tens of thousands of talented, intelligent, qualified people competing for those jobs

Job market's not as bad in Canada as it is in the US. UofT and Osgoode are some of the best regarded schools in Canada, and 3.5/170 your chances aren't bad but aren't guaranteed. Both are in Ontario, which is where you want to be apparently. UofT's hugely expensive for a Canadian school and they won't give you poo poo for money with your stats so take that into account too

hypocrite lecteur fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Dec 7, 2010