Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I should have said I want to keep the basic base scheme (the gray with snow), but need something else so it isn't just overwhelming :geno:

The ruins are a good idea- I can do that or some kind of random ork bits rusted up I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
For ruins, Astronomican Grey + Devlan Mud is a simply yet good-looking recipe; it's how I did the bases for my Wraithguard.

Zest
May 7, 2007

ACHIEVE HEAVEN THROUGH VIOLENCE
Crossposting picdump from Oath thread

first up is the death company and LeMartes:

Click here for the full 1024x765 image.

Thunderhammer

Plasma Pistol

Powersword

Bolt Pistol/Chainsword

Flamer

and a bit of lighting form the power sword

Click here for the full 1024x764 image.

Here's the High Elf Spearmen I did. Had some fun with the posing on the second rank.

I REALLY need some help with basing. My brain just goes all herp-derp the moment glue and ballast come into play. Should I be basing before priming? basing, painting bases, then super-gluing models to bases? I'm still poring over the links in the op, but none of it seems to stick. halp.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:
I personally do my basing before I paint, because the way I drybrush to get the desert look would gently caress up the paint on the legs of the model. It also lends itself better to assembly-line painting.

Mini goes on the base -> Mini primed with gesso -> Sand/rocks glued on -> Several layers of drybrushing* -> Painting mini, paying careful attention not to make paint from legs/feet get onto the basing.
*(scorched brown-> darkflesh-> parasite brown -> bubonic brown -> khaki)

If I were to add static grass or other things, I'd probably add them after I finished the rest of the model, just to prevent problems.

The way that I've seen other people do it is to paint the model, glue the ballast, prime/paint the ballast with one or two colors, then add flocking etc.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

I've decided to make another try at Gor-Rok using this guy:

I was able to cobble together his gently caress-off mace by chopping up the great weapon, but I'm honestly at a lost for how to paint him.

He's supposed to be albino. Any ideas for making him look like this:

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Cthulu Carl posted:

White + Elf Flesh washed with thinned Ogryn Flesh, highlighted again with the same?

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Cthulu Carl posted:

I've decided to make another try at Gor-Rok using this guy:

I was able to cobble together his gently caress-off mace by chopping up the great weapon, but I'm honestly at a lost for how to paint him.

How do you like the model itself? Did the detail hold up well? I almost got one in an impulse buy for my 'starting soon I promise' lizardmen.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Fyrbrand posted:

How do you like the model itself? Did the detail hold up well? I almost got one in an impulse buy for my 'starting soon I promise' lizardmen.

The right arm is too close to the dorsal spike for my taste (but that might be my fault), and the shield arm will need to be painted separately, but I like it.

I wouldn't use him as a regular Saurus hero, just because the anatomy isn't quite right (he looks more like a mini Kroxigor), but I'm hoping he'll look awesome as an albino dino with a gigantic beating stick.

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Cthulu Carl posted:

Pallid/Pale flesh (or approximation), with thinned leviathan purple shading would give you a good albino effect.

Hell Diver fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 5, 2010

Throne of Bhalz
Dec 11, 2003

Crossposted from the 40K thread

This summer, I got into 40K. After hearing about a dozen conflicting opinions regarding what faction I should play, what sides were over and underpowered, what was the most fun to play, etc, I ultimately went with my initial gut reaction and chose Necrons. I know that I'm not winning any points for picking Necrons as my starting army, but I knew that they were easy to paint / build quickly, and I liked their lore.

However, I wanted something different for their aesthetic. The black / green combination was great, but most people opted to go with it because of the green rods that come packaged with the pieces. After a lot of debate, I decided to go for a red / rusted look. I could mass produce pieces this way, and the technique that I was to use didn't require all that much talent. I was pretty happy with the results.

Rust. Although I'm in law school now, I have a technical theater undergraduate degree. I had a props class, so I remembered a few (a few) techniques for how to make rust. The technique that I would use was simple: apply a coat of rust-colored spray paint, let it dry, create a salt mask, then spray over the whole thing with silver spray paint. Scrape the salt away, and bam, I had rust. I did this to all the pieces in my necron army, but I think it's best illustrated with my monolith, where I could use some sea salt due to the increased size of the piece: (I apologize for the quality of the pictures - All I had with me in the shop was my Droid)

Click here for the full 1530x2048 image.

If you look closely, you can probably see bits of salt left on. I didn't mind that - It gave some texture to the finished product:

As you can see, I used red tubes (redtube :downs: ) from Hobylinc instead of the stock green tubes that normally come with Necron models. I liked the way it turned out. My only regret is going back to add the white paint to the front of the model - it just didn't turn out the way I wanted it to. It's likely that I'll scrape that away soon. Instead of the crystal at the top, I crushed up some cheap red faux-gems that I found at wal-mart for about $4. I went out and beat them with a hammer. Felt good, man.

I used the same gems at the base of my (Extra blurry :psyduck: ) Necron Lord. The only other motif I went with was that of metal - shards of metal, leaping up from the base. I accomplished this by cutting the wireframe that the pieces came on, twisting it, and spray painting over it with silver. Easy to do, and it gave the pieces a really unique look. The most extreme example of this would be on my Nightbringer:

This was when he was almost done - if you look closely, you can see some gaps missing in the red, and you can also tell that some of the red was bleeding into the bottom of his robe. I might repaint this one altogether; one of my friends pointed out that the color scheme matched that guy from Assassin's Creed, and now I can't shake the association. Oh well.

The whole army, so far:

Click here for the full 2048x1530 image.

Since that was taken, I've purchased another Monolith, and I'm almost done with it. After that, I figure I'll be just about done with Necrons. Next up, I'm trying to force myself to learn how to paint by hand with a Chaos Demon army. I figure that the worst case scenario is that I gently caress up horribly and blame it on the rift :v:

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff
Wow that is insanely badass

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

Throne of Bhalz posted:

:psylon:

Awesome looking 'crons, that's for sure.
Also: What can change the nature of a man?
C'tan

Daedleh
Aug 25, 2008

What shall we do with a catnipped kitty?
I'm an idiot

Daedleh fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Dec 6, 2010

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Daedleh posted:

I Oath 1 Biker Warboss, 3 Warbikers and an attack squig for the irongob.

You missed, duder. You want this thread

Good luck with the Oath!

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Hell Diver posted:

Pallid/Pale flesh (or approximation), with thinned leviathan purple shading would give you a good albino effect.

The P3 Flesh Wash I bought from Paint Vagrant went pretty well on Elf Flesh. If he lightens up elf flesh with white and then used the flesh wash he might get the look he wants.

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Power blade test- trying to really force myself to do more blending, and simple flat blades like this are a good way to practice I think. Of course photographing anything involving enchanted blue blow is gonna suck, but oh well.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

Power blade test- trying to really force myself to do more blending, and simple flat blades like this are a good way to practice I think. Of course photographing anything involving enchanted blue blow is gonna suck, but oh well.

Great progress so far. Stop painting better than me!!! :argh:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Fyrbrand posted:

This has made me realize two things:

1) Painting Grey Knights as, well, grey can still work when you make use of gold as a metallic.

2) Grey Knight Terminators have really thin wrists. :ohdear:

Fyrbrand
Dec 30, 2002

Grimey Drawer

NecronSchmecron posted:

Great progress so far. Stop painting better than me!!! :argh:

Thx man. Not gonna lie, when you started posting here you were definitely showing me up with your slamders, so I had to step up my painting.

bhsman posted:

This has made me realize two things:

1) Painting Grey Knights as, well, grey can still work when you make use of gold as a metallic.

2) Grey Knight Terminators have really thin wrists. :ohdear:

Yeah the GKTs this dude did were what led me to using actual greys. (Dude's Imperial Fists are cool as hell too.)

Agreed on the second point. Basically I'm expecting to paint these up and immediately start seeing the new Grey Knight pics start leaking. :argh:

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

Fyrbrand posted:

Thx man. Not gonna lie, when you started posting here you were definitely showing me up with your salamanders, so I had to step up my painting.

Stepped up to the Nth degree, I'll say. Your GK powersword is pretty much how I painted mine (at least the look, anyway) but your blending technique seems a lot more effective, especially at the hilt of the blade. PV's tips and techniques seem to be paying off, eh? :D

Again, dude, great job.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Fyrbrand posted:

I like the blade. Nice work Frybrand!

HKR
Jan 13, 2006

there is no universe where duke nukem would not be a trans ally

Does anyone who airbrushes use some sort of air purifier to help with dust and hair settling on the drying model? A few of my recent pieces have some hints of dust settling on them during some point of drying and I would like to curb this as much as possible (Yes my house is clean but I live in a basement apartment so all the heating vents are in the ceiling, which often negates my cleaning efforts just hours after I finish. Also I am getting a long hair cat soon because I am crazy).

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~
So despite my best efforts, I cant seem to photograph decals without them reflecting. IRL they are completely matte and dont shine at all. They all look matte, like the ones on the dreads. Also, some of the dudes are missing static grass, doing that tomorrow morning.

NecronSchmecron
Apr 29, 2009

Ah, phooey!

PaintVagrant posted:

So despite my best efforts, I cant seem to photograph decals without them reflecting. IRL they are completely matte and dont shine at all. They all look matte, like the ones on the dreads. Also, some of the dudes are missing static grass, doing that tomorrow morning.

:gizz:

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
those look tip top pv. once you're all done with the commissions are you going to start working on your own stuff more? i want to see some non gw stuff from you

Vayra
Aug 3, 2007
I wanted a big red title but I'm getting a small white one instead.
holy fuckkk

PaintVagrant for president 2011.

How do you get that metal so... perfect. The weathering on the red makes me want to reach into the monitor and put the models into my mouth and/or other orifices.

e: i would have sex with those plastic space marines

Vayra fucked around with this message at 09:28 on Dec 7, 2010

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hey PV, stop being so good, kthx.

Better yet, go back into business and paint my ultras because I'm just gonna gently caress em up.

PaintVagrant
Apr 13, 2007

~ the ultimate driving machine ~

Bullet Proof posted:

those look tip top pv. once you're all done with the commissions are you going to start working on your own stuff more? i want to see some non gw stuff from you

once i finish commissions, i may never paint another GW model, so yeah :)

Sole.Sushi
Feb 19, 2008

Seaweed!? Get the fuck out!

PaintVagrant posted:

Not even for a Peevee Treat?
A.K.A. Handy-J?

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

PaintVagrant posted:

B-but, GW models are neat!

Bullet Proof
Sep 3, 2006
GW do make some neat models but painting huge armies instead of kewl display pieces or little skirmish teams is lame

Hell Diver
Feb 2, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Bullet Proof posted:

GW do make some neat models but painting huge armies instead of kewl display pieces or little skirmish teams is lame

I agree with this. It's why I've never finished an entire army. It's also why I'm purely operating on a "Buy One, Paint One" style philosophy now. Keeps me on task. Of course, I have 'one' from three different armies. . .

enri
Dec 16, 2003

Hope you're having an amazing day

Hell Diver posted:

I agree with this. It's why I've never finished an entire army. It's also why I'm purely operating on a "Buy One, Paint One" style philosophy now. Keeps me on task. Of course, I have 'one' from three different armies. . .

I'm sure everyone's sick of me saying it by now but this is, as far as I'm concerned, by far the best way to approach painting an army.. don't buy the next thing until the last thing is painted. Sure it's a pain in the arse if you want to get gaming with a new army right now but eh.. worth it in the long run :)

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I wish that I had the income to just buy and paint some of the awesome display pieces out there. There are a ton of great companies that make really nice single models, and I would love to take a swing at a good 54 or 72mm sculpt (despite the fact that I probably couldn't do it justice) Unfortunately I am a pretty strict budget, so I am basically (re)painting all the Eldar I own. Which is probably a good thing overall, but yea, the army painting gets a bit old sometimes.

WhiteWolf123
Jun 18, 2008

The man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

PaintVagrant posted:

Yup. These loving own. Wow.

Chenghiz
Feb 14, 2007

WHITE WHALE
HOLY GRAIL
PV teach me to airbrush vehicles like you. I suck at it!

Squibsy
Dec 3, 2005

Not suited, just booted.
College Slice
I just got some Forge World bits and some of them are quite bent, I remember a while ago someone talking about bending resin back into shape but can't remember how to do it. Any suggestions?

Bobx66
Feb 11, 2002

We all fell into the pit

ineptmule posted:

I just got some Forge World bits and some of them are quite bent, I remember a while ago someone talking about bending resin back into shape but can't remember how to do it. Any suggestions?

Run it under hot water for about 30 seconds, bend, repeat. Be careful.

The Sex Cannon
Nov 22, 2004

Eh. I'm pretty content with my current logo.
So, today I was trying to do a proof of concept on an old gift card for me Armageddon Steel legion tank scheme. I learned that I have no idea what I'm doing. I started with an Adeptus Battlegray base and tried to get up to Rotting Flesh in stripes. It all looked like poo poo. Does anyone have any pointers on painting Steel Legion tank camo schemes? Here's an example.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

ElSeņorPeePants posted:

So, today I was trying to do a proof of concept on an old gift card for me Armageddon Steel legion tank scheme. I learned that I have no idea what I'm doing. I started with an Adeptus Battlegray base and tried to get up to Rotting Flesh in stripes. It all looked like poo poo. Does anyone have any pointers on painting Steel Legion tank camo schemes? Here's an example.

Adeptus Battlegray is what I'd start out with, but isn't rotting flesh more of a green? That picture looks like you want to use bleached bone or something like that for the lighter color, and very lightly drybrush all over the adeptus battlegray with the bleached bone.

I'm a beginning painter though so my advice might be completely wrong.

• Locked thread