Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

mamelon posted:

Story 2:
Definitely a picture book, I read it in '90/'91/'92 and it seemed to be published around then.

- A family of toy figurines gets sucked down the bathtub drain and spend the story trying to reunite.
- They're like wooden dolls that have similar proportions to clothespins.
- The "dad" wears a suit and bowler hat.
- "The Tubmans", or "Farewell Tubmen" comes to mind, but Google doesn't agree.
- bright colors and stylization that would probably be at home in Seurat's "La Grande Jatte," although maybe without the pointilism.

This one is Tub People: http://www.amazon.com/Tub-People-Pam-Conrad/dp/0064433064/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1291084353&sr=8-1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
^Awesome, thank you so much!

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

mamelon posted:

I'm looking for the names of two stories, unrelated to each other.

Story 1:
In '91 or '92, I read an adult or young adult story in grade school. No clue if it was long or short, and maybe there were some illustrations. I remember:

- kids/tweens/teens (siblings?) travel into the chambers of a nautilus seashell.
- They could move inwards easily, but on the way back out, they were obstructed by riddles/puzzles in each chamber. They needed to solve them and exit the shell quickly, on pain of permanent entrapment/death.

I think you're looking for The Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phantom LOLbooth posted:

That's definitely Sybil.
Might also be When Rabbit Howls by Truddi Chase - my copy has descriptions of her alters on the endpapers.

Ballsworthy
Apr 30, 2008

yup

wheatpuppy posted:

I think you're looking for The Diamond in the Window, by Jane Langton.

I can confirm this is it, the nautilus part freaked me the gently caress out as a kid.

mamelon
Oct 9, 2010

by Lowtax
Thanks, guys! I'm gonna get the book immediately. Yeah, the story stuck with me because I remember feeling the tension of reading it as a little kid. I wonder if it will be as enjoyable, now.

Centripetal Horse
Nov 22, 2009

Fuck money, get GBS

This could have bought you a half a tank of gas, lmfao -
Love, gromdul

Morlock posted:

Might also be When Rabbit Howls by Truddi Chase - my copy has descriptions of her alters on the endpapers.

I've considered that, but given the description, and the apparent age of the book, I think Sybil is much more likely.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Phantom LOLbooth posted:

I've considered that, but given the description, and the apparent age of the book, I think Sybil is much more likely.
It is, but I reckoned WRH was worth mentioning just in case.

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib
I remember reading about a book series and author on the Gene Wolfe mailing list which sounded vaguely similar to Wolfe's New Sun series, at least, in setting. It involved an incredibly distant-future world, possibly under a dying sun, which was decrepit and vast, built on the dust of previous civilisations. It also included a techno-dwarf and other such absurdities, leading to a very depressing end. I remember reading a brief wiki about it.

I'm wondering if anyone remembers this, or knows vaguely what I'm talking about? I know, it's a very general description, but I remember reading the first few pages and finding it okay (on a website somewhere), and people on the Wolfe list mentioning it in high regard, which generally indicates that it has a reasonable level of literary quality (yeah, yeah, I know, they're writing to a sci-fi mailing list, but a lot of erudite discussion goes on there).

And no, I do not mean the Dying Earth.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

PonchtheJedi posted:

"Through the Tunnel" by Doris Lessing.

I remember it too, because stories about people being in tunnels underwater always give me the wiggins.

Thank you!

Another one, a novel this time. I can only recall it was about a pair of kids, brother and sister I believe, that run away from home. I feel like the people they ran away from might not have been their birth parents, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they end up living in an art museum for a bit, and meet some old lady that I associate an original DaVinci sketch with. I think there was a criminal or two that wanted to get the sketch or something inside the museum and might have asked the kids for help, but that last part might be/probably is wrong.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Detective Thompson posted:

Another one, a novel this time. I can only recall it was about a pair of kids, brother and sister I believe, that run away from home. I feel like the people they ran away from might not have been their birth parents, but I'm not sure. Anyway, they end up living in an art museum for a bit, and meet some old lady that I associate an original DaVinci sketch with. I think there was a criminal or two that wanted to get the sketch or something inside the museum and might have asked the kids for help, but that last part might be/probably is wrong.

Probably From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, a book I always wanted to read as a kid but could never find. God, I would have killed for something like Amazon or ABEbooks to be around back when I was 10.

Bob Ojeda
Apr 15, 2008

I AM A WHINY LITTLE EMOTIONAL BITCH BABY WITH NO SENSE OF HUMOR

IF YOU SEE ME POSTING REMIND ME TO SHUT THE FUCK UP

Neurosis posted:

I remember reading about a book series and author on the Gene Wolfe mailing list which sounded vaguely similar to Wolfe's New Sun series, at least, in setting. It involved an incredibly distant-future world, possibly under a dying sun, which was decrepit and vast, built on the dust of previous civilisations. It also included a techno-dwarf and other such absurdities, leading to a very depressing end. I remember reading a brief wiki about it.

I'm wondering if anyone remembers this, or knows vaguely what I'm talking about? I know, it's a very general description, but I remember reading the first few pages and finding it okay (on a website somewhere), and people on the Wolfe list mentioning it in high regard, which generally indicates that it has a reasonable level of literary quality (yeah, yeah, I know, they're writing to a sci-fi mailing list, but a lot of erudite discussion goes on there).

And no, I do not mean the Dying Earth.

Could conceivably be M John Harrison's Viriconium cycle.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

enuma elish posted:

Could conceivably be M John Harrison's Viriconium cycle.

I agree and it's definitely worth checking out if you're a fan of BotNS.

Detective Thompson
Nov 9, 2007

Sammy Davis Jr. Jr. is also in repose.

Hobnob posted:

Probably From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler, a book I always wanted to read as a kid but could never find. God, I would have killed for something like Amazon or ABEbooks to be around back when I was 10.

Yes, that seems to be it. Thank you! I got some details wrong, which isn't surprising considering I read it so long ago, but you delightful goons come through again.

Silent Bobble
Apr 14, 2007

Where do you get these wonderful toys?
I read this book probably about 13 or so years ago. It takes place in modern times and the 1940's and deals with a boy. He lives with his mother and his abusive father. Somehow the kid discovers a doorway that puts him about 50 years in the past and goes back and forth through this doorway a few times. At one point the boy goes through the doorway for good in hopes that he can save his mother if he waits 50 years to catch up to present times.

Don't know if it helps any, but I remember there being a scene when he's back in the 40's where he attempts to but a Detective Comics #2 or something but can't due to modern currency not looking like the way 1940's currency looked like.

I've been trying to track this book down for a couple of years now and have had no luck so far. Thanks in advance!

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
This is a quasi repost, because this is killing me.

I read this book/story as a child, and it scared the everliving thunder out of me.

Don't really remember if it was a full book or a short story, and it might have been in an anthology.

What I remember.

There was some fat man who lived in a decrepit house. He wasn't really a man, though, he might have been some kind of alien in disguise. His house was positively full of pizza boxes and stuff, and the book distinctly mentions him emerging gracefully from a pile of refuse like a dolphin or something.

He would kidnap and eat people (I think he does this to a pizza delivery guy). I also think he may have eaten people by shoving them through a hole he had under his gut that led directly to his stomach.

I think he replaced the people he ate with soulless puppets designed to look and act like them.

At one point the main character, I believe a child, sneaks into this guys house to discover the truth.

Please someone tell me I didn't dream this up.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

Rough Lobster posted:

I read this book/story as a child, and it scared the everliving thunder out of me.

Don't really remember if it was a full book or a short story, and it might have been in an anthology.

What I remember.

There was some fat man who lived in a decrepit house. He wasn't really a man, though, he might have been some kind of alien in disguise. His house was positively full of pizza boxes and stuff, and the book distinctly mentions him emerging gracefully from a pile of refuse like a dolphin or something.

He would kidnap and eat people (I think he does this to a pizza delivery guy). I also think he may have eaten people by shoving them through a hole he had under his gut that led directly to his stomach.

I think he replaced the people he ate with soulless puppets designed to look and act like them.

At one point the main character, I believe a child, sneaks into this guys house to discover the truth.

I know neither of these are the story you're after, but GRRM wrote two stories called "the pear shaped man" and "the monkey treatment" which are both disturbing/horror shorts about extremely fat people. It's possible he might have written more?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Fatkraken posted:

I know neither of these are the story you're after, but GRRM wrote two stories called "the pear shaped man" and "the monkey treatment" which are both disturbing/horror shorts about extremely fat people. It's possible he might have written more?

Is "The Monkey Treatment" about an invisible creature that latches on to the protagonist's back and snatches the food he tries to eat? If so, thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that story for ages.

Fatkraken
Jun 23, 2005

Fun-time is over.

wheatpuppy posted:

Is "The Monkey Treatment" about an invisible creature that latches on to the protagonist's back and snatches the food he tries to eat? If so, thanks! I've been trying to remember the name of that story for ages.

It is indeed. I think only he can see the monkey

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Just read a random TV Tropes page that mentioned this, anyone know what it's called?

quote:

# Gordon Dickson wrote a short story about this, in which the dominant powers of the galaxy recruit a Token Brigade of humans and other less-advanced species to help fight an oncoming invasion—we're useless, but we have a stake in the outcome and deserve to have our shot. Turns out said dominant powers are Straw Vulcans—when they see how large the invasion fleet is, they prepare to surrender because their calculations indicate there's no way to win (even though surrender means the destruction of all life in the galaxy). The "less-advanced" folks pass through a state of fury and into Tranquil Fury, allowing them to use the ship's psychic weapons more effectively; it then turns out that the super-aliens never considered a berserker one-ship attack as a viable tactic. The enemy are thrown into disarray, and the defenders win the day.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum
It is indeed Gordon R. Dickson, Hour of the Horde. I read the novel but it seems it was expanded from his short story of the same name.

rasser
Jul 2, 2003

Rough Lobster posted:

What I remember.

If the refuse was fecal lasagna I think I read the story.
(By Martin Random, story here: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=1353420&perpage=40&pagenumber=1)

edit: sorry for trolling. this was actually the story that came into my mind and not only some bad attempt at being funny.

rasser fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Dec 7, 2010

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rough Lobster posted:

What I remember.

This appeared in one of Bruce Coville's collections - I think Book of Aliens. If I remember correctly, he wasn't eating people but would instead stick their head into his gut and peel their face off with tiny teeth. He'd then keep their faces in jars and place them on the puppets. Those books were incredibly hosed up.

Good luck finding more info on it, I asked about a story in one of those books earlier in this thread and wasn't able to turn up much through Google.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010
I read this story as a kid in the mid-late 90's that kind of really stuck with me. I can't remember a thing about it, so anything that you guys remember/can dig up would be much appreciated.

I believe it involves these kids playing in a toy room with a big dollhouse, and toy soldiers, etc. They get really focused on fighting with the soldiers, and in doing so, start to scavenge materials from the dollhouse (take floral curtains from the house to become a field of flowers, that kind of thing). Then one night, in a weird dream sequence thing, the kids wake up in the dollhouse, with the dolls looming over them. The dolls are angry because their house has been ransacked, and they know they've got the right kids because the doll-mother remembers the girl's bitten nails.

I'm fairly certain this had some black and white pictures in it, though I could be wrong. Thanks in advance!

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA posted:

I read this story as a kid in the mid-late 90's that kind of really stuck with me. I can't remember a thing about it, so anything that you guys remember/can dig up would be much appreciated.

I believe it involves these kids playing in a toy room with a big dollhouse, and toy soldiers, etc. They get really focused on fighting with the soldiers, and in doing so, start to scavenge materials from the dollhouse (take floral curtains from the house to become a field of flowers, that kind of thing). Then one night, in a weird dream sequence thing, the kids wake up in the dollhouse, with the dolls looming over them. The dolls are angry because their house has been ransacked, and they know they've got the right kids because the doll-mother remembers the girl's bitten nails.

I'm fairly certain this had some black and white pictures in it, though I could be wrong. Thanks in advance!
This sounds like Knight's Castle by Mr. Edward Eager, who wrote several fine stories for children.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

morestuff posted:

This appeared in one of Bruce Coville's collections - I think Book of Aliens. If I remember correctly, he wasn't eating people but would instead stick their head into his gut and peel their face off with tiny teeth. He'd then keep their faces in jars and place them on the puppets. Those books were incredibly hosed up.

Good luck finding more info on it, I asked about a story in one of those books earlier in this thread and wasn't able to turn up much through Google.

I looked up a could of these on amazon and they look familiar. I think the one that looked most familiar Book of Nightmares, and after some searching there's a story called Fat Man in it.

Looks hard to get a hold of, though.

Thanks a lot, brohan!

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Rough Lobster posted:

I looked up a could of these on amazon and they look familiar. I think the one that looked most familiar Book of Nightmares, and after some searching there's a story called Fat Man in it.

Looks hard to get a hold of, though.

Thanks a lot, brohan!

Had a few minutes to kill at work - The Fat Man was written by Joe Lansdale (who also wrote Bubba Ho-Tep!) and also appears in his collection of short stories titled Bumper Crop. Descriptions around the web say it's about "young boys [that] learn the hard way that some mysteries should not be investigated"

You can also supposedly download a copy of the Bruce Coville collection here, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to open.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

When I was in elementary school, 5th grade probably, we read a book, possibly originally written in french, set in pre revolution france, about this kid who learns fencing from this old guy and it isn't allowed because only the aristocracy can fence. Or something. It was at a 5th grade reading level also, obviously

edit: I think it might have been called Andre. I know the title was one word in french. Google isnt giving me anything for it though, so not sure

edit2: I just asked my brother who read it too, it was called Andre, it was about a french kid who comes to america to look for his brother and gets rich after. Probably just some random kids book

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Dec 10, 2010

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

icantfindaname posted:

When I was in elementary school, 5th grade probably, we read a book, possibly originally written in french, set in pre revolution france, about this kid who learns fencing from this old guy and it isn't allowed because only the aristocracy can fence. Or something. It was at a 5th grade reading level also, obviously

Some sort of easy-read version of Scaramouche?

thedaian
Dec 11, 2005

Blistering idiots.

morestuff posted:

You can also supposedly download a copy of the Bruce Coville collection here, but I'll be damned if I can figure out how to get it to open.

It seems to be in the 'Daisy' format, which further research suggests that it's a device that allows blind people to 'read' books by doing a text to speech type of thing. That pretty much means you're not going to be able to open it.

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA
Sep 6, 2010

xcheopis posted:

This sounds like Knight's Castle by Mr. Edward Eager, who wrote several fine stories for children.

Wow, thanks! That's definitely it. This has really been bugging me for a while now. :)

Solvency
Apr 28, 2008

Trade, sir! Discover it! This is you, this is a clue. Get a clue, discover trade!
Alright I have a sci-fi novel I read as a teen that though ally confused me, but I don't remember the name of it.

Essentially, some kid got in his possession some sort of item (perhaps it was called a pig) that the whole universe wanted back for some reason (or perhaps it was part of some sort of game).

That's all I can remember of the basic plot right now.

Hobnob
Feb 23, 2006

Ursa Adorandum

Solvency posted:

Alright I have a sci-fi novel I read as a teen that though ally confused me, but I don't remember the name of it.

Essentially, some kid got in his possession some sort of item (perhaps it was called a pig) that the whole universe wanted back for some reason (or perhaps it was part of some sort of game).

That's all I can remember of the basic plot right now.

Interstellar Pig by William Sleator.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post
so I was just talking to a friend about a fantasy novel we read about a year ago (probably published within the last few years) and neither of us could remember the name. It's about a guy who is immortal, and he feels really bad about all the stuff he and his immortal pals have done. Some of these immortals are powerful rulers and all of them are wizards but this guy is sick of it. Unfortunately when he was a young man he stepped into a magical fire that burned away his mortality, and now there is no way to kill him. The closest you can get is chopping off his head and then it grows back but his memories are gone; this happened to one of the other guys and it made him go crazy.

He spends the whole book telling his life story to some chick who basically thinks he's the devil, and then at the end of the book he is buried in an avalanche or something.

It wasn't a great book or anything but it's driving me nuts that neither of us could remember the name of it.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

Liesmith posted:

so I was just talking to a friend about a fantasy novel we read about a year ago (probably published within the last few years) and neither of us could remember the name. It's about a guy who is immortal, and he feels really bad about all the stuff he and his immortal pals have done. Some of these immortals are powerful rulers and all of them are wizards but this guy is sick of it. Unfortunately when he was a young man he stepped into a magical fire that burned away his mortality, and now there is no way to kill him. The closest you can get is chopping off his head and then it grows back but his memories are gone; this happened to one of the other guys and it made him go crazy.

He spends the whole book telling his life story to some chick who basically thinks he's the devil, and then at the end of the book he is buried in an avalanche or something.

It wasn't a great book or anything but it's driving me nuts that neither of us could remember the name of it.
Might be The Immortal Prince by Ms. Jennifer Fallon

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

SUPERIOR VENA CAVA posted:

Wow, thanks! That's definitely it. This has really been bugging me for a while now. :)
:) Check out his other books; he's pretty awesome. Eager and Nesbit head my List of Favourite Authors From My Youth.

Liesmith
Jan 29, 2006

by Y Kant Ozma Post

xcheopis posted:

Might be The Immortal Prince by Ms. Jennifer Fallon

ha, that's it. Thanks dude

Velocirocktor
Oct 18, 2006

And it's just a little bit of Cretaceous Castle Magic
There was a novel that we read in the 6th grade that for some reason has been gnawing on my brain for the last few weeks. I remember very little about it, but here's what I know. It was relatively short, and pretty simple, "age appropriate" stuff. The main character was a young girl named Mercedes, and I think at one point she is involved in a car crash and one or both of her legs messes up. I remember pretty vividly the book describing her biting down her knuckles to mask her leg pain with lesser hand pain, however that is supposed to work.

I also seem to remember the cover had a girl standing at the top of a staircase in front of an open door, or in front of a window, or something bright behind her, but I'm sort of iffy on that.

Not the best collection of details to go on but hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about. I don't really care about reading it again I just want to know what it was so I can stop thinking about it.

Schistosity
May 15, 2009

Velocirocktor posted:

Not the best collection of details to go on but hopefully someone else knows what I'm talking about. I don't really care about reading it again I just want to know what it was so I can stop thinking about it.

I think I know the book you're talking about but I can't remember the plot either besides the car crash. We read it in school too, and all i remember are some words from the vocab list. Was she in a coma for a bit and might involve teenage romance tangentially?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agreeable Employer
Apr 28, 2008
Friend was telling me about this book that sounded interesting, he was vague and unhelpful about the title and the author, though. I'll give a go to see if you guys know if it's an actual book.

It's about a man from the 90's who died and his soul/consciousness randomly hops from person to person in different time periods from our history along with other worlds in the future when humans colonized some planets. He interacts with the person's body he's inhabiting depending on their mind's strength - he can take over their body at times or access memories depending on both the willingness of the person and how strong their minds are.

Sound like anything someone read?