Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

Elijya posted:

Do you think it's inappropriate to give a college professor a christmas gift at the end of the semester?

If you worked one on one with this professor beyond just attending his lectures and showing up to office hours once in awhile, I don't see why not. If not, don't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

Eyeball posted:

Did you try rubbing alcohol, Binowru?

Even if I were to try that, I broke the little plastic clips on the underside of the keys when I removed them, so I can't put them back on. I've already bought a USB keyboard, so this should be enough of a fix until I buy my next computer. Thanks anyway for the advice.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

Elijya posted:

Do you think it's inappropriate to give a college professor a christmas gift at the end of the semester?

It certainly seems appropriate to give Japanese professors gifts.

American professors have specifically declined them. Those that declined them said that if I was no longer a potential student it would be OK but otherwise it could cause conflicts; and were seriously worried about that.

Example: I was forbidden to give gifts to my godfather when I was a student at his university, even though I never took a class from him. And that was even though I regularly ate meals at his house, and we had a long standing pre-existing (and continuing when I was a student) personal relationship.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008
A few weeks ago, maybe just before Thanksgiving(?), I caught a story on "Selected Shorts" on NPR that I really liked. It was about all the events and unrelated characters in the vicinity of a window washer falling from a skyscraper. It was incredibly good and I got the impression it was an older story; it seemed like something Roald Dahl might have written.
Does anyone know the author and story?

edit: found the archive. I bet I would have remembered if I'd heard the introduction.

Selected Shorts posted:

“Milestones,” by Miles Davis was the inspiration for Hannah Tinti’s story of the same name. In an interview with SHORTS host Isaiah Sheffer, Tinti says the story, constructed meticulously while listening to Davis’ edgy, buoyant piece, was inspired in part by the events of 9/11. Tinto is also the editor of One Story magazine. “Milestones” is read here by the performance artist Laurie Anderson.

Very Strange Things fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 6, 2010

alucinor
May 21, 2003

Taco Defender

unarmed1618 posted:

If a house in minnesota (average yearly temperature=40 deg. F) has 19 16X32" clerestory windows on it's south side, and the utility bill in October is 115 dollars, Jan is 360, May is 138, how big is the house?
I'm trying to get an estimate here, and I don't know anything about houses.
If you have an idea where I can find information on this sort of estimate, rather than just giving me an estimate, I'd appreciate it.
And I just need a ballpark figure for this.

I don't think this is sufficient information to answer the question. Do you have the physical address of the house and/or the name of the owner? Most counties have online tax information that mentions the square footage. Google something like "GIS countyname County statename tax records" (GIS = geographical information system in this case)

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
I got a stupid question, but it's been bothering me for a while. Does snapping someone's neck really kill them? It happens in the movies and when someone is hung by the neck. But when someone breaks their neck in an accident, they become paralyzed.

vv Thanks!

Spermando fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Dec 6, 2010

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Spermando posted:

I got a stupid question, but it's been bothering me for a while. Does snapping someone's neck really kill them? It happens in the movies and when someone is hung by the neck. But when someone breaks their neck in an accident, they become paralyzed.

Severe neck trauma will do effectively random damage to the spinal cord. If you're lucky, it will only cut voluntary motor nerves and you'll be paralyzed. If you're unlucky, it will cut the nerves that control the heart or lungs and you'll die. And that's not counting all the other critical systems that run through the neck like the windpipe and the brain's blood supply.

It's like being shot or hit by a car- it is in theory possible to survive and get over it, and some people do, but don't bet on it.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Who buys broken laptops? Those fetch high prizes regularly and I just sold an old Vostro 1400 for 180$. I can't believe these could somehow turn a profit for the buyer.

edit: It was ebay.

lllllllllllllllllll fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Dec 7, 2010

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
I have a friend who is wanting to put on a play in Springfield, Illinois. Apparently the theater scene there is very limited, not many venues, etc. He's running into issues and is considering possibly renting and putting together a venue of his own.

Are there any websites or resources I can recommend to him to help walk him through the process of putting together an independent show/possibly opening a small venue? My google skills are failing me in my search.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Who buys broken laptops? Those fetch high prizes regularly and I just sold an old Vostro 1400 for 180$. I can't believe these could somehow turn a profit for the buyer.

Selling for parts! Even if a laptop has a whole lot of broken parts, the other parts that are still working can easily be resold at a profit for people to repair other laptops with. Especially if the laptop is a common model and especially if it was popular in the business sector.

Take your old Vostro for instance: was the screen intact? That can fetch $150 all by itself.

stubblyhead
Sep 13, 2007

That is treason, Johnny!

Fun Shoe

lllllllllllllllllll posted:

Can I ask where you sold it? I have an old laptop with a dead display that's just sitting collecting dust. Wouldn't mind picking up a little extra cash with it.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

madprocess posted:

Selling for parts! Even if a laptop has a whole lot of broken parts, the other parts that are still working can easily be resold at a profit for people to repair other laptops with. Especially if the laptop is a common model and especially if it was popular in the business sector.

Take your old Vostro for instance: was the screen intact? That can fetch $150 all by itself.

It's the same way with old junk cars. I've seen people take $50 to have some guy cart it off the junkyard, where they sell parts off of it at an incredible profit. It's just a matter of finding someone who wants to buy it. I imagine eBay would be a good start for selling dead computers, or maybe Craigslist.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Huntersoninski posted:

I have a friend who is wanting to put on a play in Springfield, Illinois. Apparently the theater scene there is very limited, not many venues, etc. He's running into issues and is considering possibly renting and putting together a venue of his own.

Are there any websites or resources I can recommend to him to help walk him through the process of putting together an independent show/possibly opening a small venue? My google skills are failing me in my search.

TheatreFace is a social networking site for theater stuff. He could make an account there and try to network with folks and get questions answered.
The last time I checked there were only a few thousand users I think -that might have actually been who was online at the time, though I doubt it.
I really don't know how much value it has as a service but it's free, so the cost is really only his time potentially wasted. I think they are also poised to do some sort of marketing and/or capital drive to make it more of a serious resource in the very near future.

Zero Star
Jan 22, 2006

Robit the paranoid blogger.
EDIT: nvm

Cowboy Mark
Sep 9, 2001

Grimey Drawer
Someone at work had a damaged key on their laptop's keyboard which was fixed by ordering a replacement key from someone who sold individual keys on eBay for £3 or £4 per key. On a ~100 key keyboard that's potentially £400. And that's just the keys.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

What is the musical term for when two singers are singing at different tempos at the same time?

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times, but more like this.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.
Just got Outlook 2007 on my work computer. When I attach a file, it actually shows the file as an icon in the body of the email. This is retarded. How do I make it so that it appears up by the subject line like Outlook 2003?

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Wyatt posted:

Just got Outlook 2007 on my work computer. When I attach a file, it actually shows the file as an icon in the body of the email. This is retarded. How do I make it so that it appears up by the subject line like Outlook 2003?

I usually do insert->attach file and it does exactly what you are describing. The file in the subject line, that is.

wheres my arm
Feb 1, 2008

My mom wants a 'cruiser' bike for Christmas. What is the best place to buy one of these? What should I expect to pay?

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007
As I was working today, I noticed a small greenish object on a page of notes. Thinking it was a piece of eye crust I was about to swat it away, when.... it moved! Intrigued I decided to go in for a closer look.

A look through my handy dissection scope sent a ripple of abject terror down my spine. It was a gross bug.

Anyone know what it is?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

DarthJeebus posted:

I usually do insert->attach file and it does exactly what you are describing. The file in the subject line, that is.

This is hit and miss for me. Sometimes it does one, sometimes it does the other.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

wheres my arm posted:

My mom wants a 'cruiser' bike for Christmas. What is the best place to buy one of these? What should I expect to pay?

Try the Bicycle Megathread 3 for FAQ and advice.

Sir Teabag posted:

bugs :words: bugs

Anyone know what it is?
Post it in the Critterquest thread—lots of bug folks follow it. Be sure to add your general location in the description to make I.D. easier.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Is Mighty Wallet a goon company? Is it a good wallet for those who purchased it?

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

tendrilsfor20 posted:

What is the musical term for when two singers are singing at different tempos at the same time?

Not the "Row, Row, Row your boat" thing where they start at different times, but more like this.

I could be wrong, but I don't think there is a name for that. At least I've never heard of one.

BTW the row row row your boat thing is called singing in the round.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

dsh posted:

I want to go to a NFL game, never having done this, what's the best way to buy tickets? Is stubhub my best option? That's all my friends know.

In what city? Some stadiums are sold out for 20 years, and some in places you could get tickets below face value outside the stadium on game day.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

ElwoodCuse posted:

Some stadiums are sold out for 20 years

What stadiums are these? How can they possibly sell tickets for a game even a few years from now, let alone 20?

e: or are you referring to stadiums that have long term contracts with ticket agencies or something? In which case, that's hardly sold out since those ticket agencies buy thousands of tickets with the intent to resell.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 03:56 on Dec 7, 2010

Eyeball
Jun 4, 2008

by angerbeet

Elijya posted:

What stadiums are these? How can they possibly sell tickets for a game even a few years from now, let alone 20?

Green Bay Packers.

I guess it's not impossible to get tickets, but it's pretty hard.

dsh
Aug 2, 2003

ElwoodCuse posted:

In what city? Some stadiums are sold out for 20 years, and some in places you could get tickets below face value outside the stadium on game day.

Eagles Cowboys this Sunday.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003

dsh posted:

Eagles Cowboys this Sunday.

That game has been sold out for twenty years in a stadium that's a year old?
Edit: Durr, nevermind. I should pay closer attention to who's posting.

Loopyface fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 7, 2010

Pontius Pilate
Jul 25, 2006

Crucify, Whale, Crucify

Loopyface posted:

That game has been sold out for twenty years in a stadium that's a year old?

I think he was answering in which city he wanted to see a game.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Someone made fun of me for having Yahoo mail. What's a cool free email that won't steal my credit card numbers?

Also, is it weird to thank your bus driver when you get off at your stop?

A Real Happy Camper
Dec 11, 2007

These children have taught me how to believe.

Wedemeyer posted:

Someone made fun of me for having Yahoo mail. What's a cool free email that won't steal my credit card numbers?

Try gmail and no, I thank the bus driver all the time and so do a lot of people here.

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.

Wedemeyer posted:

I'm extraordinarily pleased with Gmail.

Wedemeyer posted:

It's not uncommon here in Western Kentucky, but neither is waving* at approaching motorists one meets on two-lane roads.

* In this wave, the driver's palm remains resting atop the steering wheel while simultaneously lifting two–to–four fingers in brief acknowledgment of the other motorist.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Wedemeyer posted:

Why wouldn't you thank the bus driver? Nearly everyone does it.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

change my name posted:

Why wouldn't you thank the bus driver? Nearly everyone does it.

It's not as common as it should be where I am (college campus, lots of busses). Also more props to gmail.

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

I always thank the bus driver unless hes a huge oval office. But I do find that there a fair amount of people who don't. Its not really a major issue. Just politeness.

value-brand cereal
May 2, 2008

Gmail it is then. Finally I can be cool! :allears: And yeah, I usually take the bus to college so thanking him everyday for X amount of months gets a little tired after a while.

On that note, would it be weird to give him a holiday card/gift? I mean, I don't talk to him or anything other then to say thanks once in a while, but we do see each other every day.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Wedemeyer posted:

And yeah, I usually take the bus to college so thanking him everyday for X amount of months gets a little tired after a while.

I usually just say "Have a good day/night/afternoon" to the drivers that I see more often, because saying "thanks" so often does get tiring.

As for the card, it depends on the driver. If it's one of those old bubbly guys, they'd probably love it, but I know some of the drivers in my area would just be a bit confused.

Dudebro
Jan 1, 2010
I :fap: TO UNDERAGE GYMNASTS
I was trying to think of other service jobs where thanking isn't the norm, but the only one I could come up with are the fast food kitchen guys, but maybe only because there's no direct contact.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Whatever happened to that upgrade Facebook was supposed to do to its photo bit? I remember reading about how you were going to be able to post (or at least download) bigger images, but I haven't seen anything that looks like that yet.