Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ClassActionFursuit
Mar 15, 2006

big mean giraffe posted:

I installed it, but if rumors are true I'm probably going to just wipe and put a rooted 2.3 on tomorrow if it drops. I absolutely love the bounce-back scrolling. Hopefully Gingerbread has enough eye candy to make up for it.
I'm thinking about doing the same thing you just know you're going to miss all the little things that make CM just a joy to use like the trackball notifications, the notification bar power control widget, and ability to customize the notification bar (no clock, dB signal strength, etc.).

I want the eye candy of Gingerbread like the screen-off animation (drat that looks awesome) but I don't think I could live without those little things that make CM6 great.

The trouble is you know there's going to be some feature or two in Gingerbread that no one's mentioned prior to the release like there was with C2DM in Froyo that you're going absolutely have to have, then you'll be stuck between the two until CM catches up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

potentiometer
Dec 31, 2006

Zarkov Cortez posted:

In my limited use I've found the radio reception on the N1 hasn't been very good.

FM is crystal clear on my N-1, even in areas that I can't make phone calls. Suprised me.

Lewk
May 22, 2001

We've got Armadillos in our trousers. It's really quite frightening.
So I was considering rooting my Desire tonight. However I've just downloaded the newest HTC Firmware update that was released today. Am I correct in thinking that root should still work, or would the one click root software need to be updated first?

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008
Just installed cm 6.1 and have gotten myself in a bit of trouble.

At the moment 6.1 is resulting in a boot loop after trying to install google apps for Eclair instead of froyo. I did this because I was just going to update my other apps and keep the older version of google voice for MyFaves.

I had two restore points, one I did right before the update, but both are not loading with Clockwork mod. It just hangs on the lock screen for a very long time.

I have wiped the data and cache and reinstalled CM 6.1, but the boot loop persists.

I've got no clue how I should fix this.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Jewce posted:

Just installed cm 6.1 and have gotten myself in a bit of trouble.

At the moment 6.1 is resulting in a boot loop after trying to install google apps for Eclair instead of froyo. I did this because I was just going to update my other apps and keep the older version of google voice for MyFaves.

I had two restore points, one I did right before the update, but both are not loading with Clockwork mod. It just hangs on the lock screen for a very long time.

I have wiped the data and cache and reinstalled CM 6.1, but the boot loop persists.

I've got no clue how I should fix this.
Post the device you have next time. But this might help.

Since you still have clockwork on the phone, you should be able to cold boot into it by hitting power while holding down something else (volume down, etc). You can put the CM61 update along with the proper google app bundle on your SD card from your PC, then re-flash them both.

Jewce
Mar 11, 2008

Civil posted:

Post the device you have next time. But this might help.

Since you still have clockwork on the phone, you should be able to cold boot into it by hitting power while holding down something else (volume down, etc). You can put the CM61 update along with the proper google app bundle on your SD card from your PC, then re-flash them both.

Thanks, sorry for not posting the device. I got it working by wiping twice and then reinstalling cm 6.1 two times in a row before rebooting. Who knows what the hell..

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Jewce posted:

Thanks, sorry for not posting the device. I got it working by wiping twice and then reinstalling cm 6.1 two times in a row before rebooting. Who knows what the hell..

Might be something with your recovery image. I had an issue before with my hero, that doing a wipe would not delete everything. I was having some really odd issues until I changed my recovery image, it would not do a proper wipe.

DeeVoc
Oct 27, 2008
For anyone who has a G1 and isn't on the 2708 kernel, you really owe it to yourself to jump over. The 14mb of system ram that gets freed up makes a world of different. I'm on the 2.1 biffmod port of it and loving every minute of it. Usually after I've flashed a froyo rom everything goes to crap after a number of apps have woken up and eaten up memory, can't complain at all this time around.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=831139

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!

DeeVoc posted:

For anyone who has a G1 and isn't on the 2708 kernel, you really owe it to yourself to jump over. The 14mb of system ram that gets freed up makes a world of different. I'm on the 2.1 biffmod port of it and loving every minute of it. Usually after I've flashed a froyo rom everything goes to crap after a number of apps have woken up and eaten up memory, can't complain at all this time around.

Thanks for this. I was wanting to breathe some new life into an old G1 of mine to give to a friend and wasn't sure what the scene looked like.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug

DeeVoc posted:

I installed this on my fiancee's G1 over Thanksgiving. Installed 6.1-RC with it and all she does now is complain about how slow it is, to me it was running pretty snappy. What ROM are you running?

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

LastInLine posted:

The trouble is you know there's going to be some feature or two in Gingerbread that no one's mentioned prior to the release like there was with C2DM in Froyo that you're going absolutely have to have, then you'll be stuck between the two until CM catches up.

How long did CM take to catch up with Froyo?

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Mo0 posted:

How long did CM take to catch up with Froyo?

AOSP has to be released. Once AOSP is released, there's usually an alpha or beta within a few days. I'd say we should have an RC or final within a couple weeks of AOSP drop.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Casao posted:

AOSP has to be released. Once AOSP is released, there's usually an alpha or beta within a few days. I'd say we should have an RC or final within a couple weeks of AOSP drop.

As long as this bouncy scrolling (that I just now discovered, thanks thread!) remains intact with any sort of alpha or beta or what have you I'll be so happy. :3:

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

MIUI: List of shortcuts.

This includes 2 I had no idea about (double tap lock = music controls and long-press power control in the notification to go to corresponding setting).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
I dunno if any of you nerds used my iphone theme but I got around to updating it to the new system finally. Can't post it on miui-dev due to their rules though.
http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=792588

Butt Reactor
Oct 6, 2005

Even in zero gravity, you're an asshole.
here's an interesting problem: I'm trying to access /data/data on my epic 4g's internal memory (rooted, stock rom) but regardless of using ES file explorer or ASTRO it shows that beyond /data that "directory is empty". WTF? Since I rooted I thought I'd gain access to folders and file I wouldn't have otherwise. Or am I missing a step (please don't say install a custom ROM, I don't want to do that yet).

flyboi
Oct 13, 2005

agg stop posting
College Slice
If you got root and nand unlock and know what you're doing you can install the gingerbread keyboard on 2.2 (no multitouch)
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/team-d1-miui/103154-droid-x-keyboard-2.html#post1060883

travisray2004
Dec 2, 2004
SuprMan
so I ripped LatinIME.apk from the newest Skyraider ROM for the Gingerbread keyboard but completely forgot about libjni_latinime.so in /system/lib/. Felt pretty dumb.
poo poo works great though.

E: This was before I heard of the DL link

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
i'll do a mothafuckin' walk-by
So I decided to try moving from Fresh to Cyanogen. I back everything up in Titanium Backup, follow the instructions on flashing the SPL via recovery (from the Cyanogen web site), press reboot and... it puts me right back where I was. I'm stuck at the fastboot screen, or at least I think that's what it's called. I tried to run a nandroid restore from the recovery screen, but it failed. Now I'm hunting around Google for a solution.

Short version: god dammit.

e: now I don't have anything capable of copying files to a Micro SD card. gently caress.

e x2: ever transfer a 75 meg file via Bluetooth? Try it sometime, it's a blast. But now I'm on Cyanogen, yay.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Dec 7, 2010

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/20/how-to-root-the-t-mobile-g2-htc-vision-visionary-method/

Very hand-holdy guide to temp/perm/rom flashing on the G2. Worked without a hitch.

After fishing through some of the convoluted guides on XDA, this was a godsend. Now I'm happily running 6.1, but where is the menu option to adjust LED notifications?

chestnut santabag
Jul 3, 2006

Civil posted:

http://theunlockr.com/2010/10/20/how-to-root-the-t-mobile-g2-htc-vision-visionary-method/

Very hand-holdy guide to temp/perm/rom flashing on the G2. Worked without a hitch.

After fishing through some of the convoluted guides on XDA, this was a godsend. Now I'm happily running 6.1, but where is the menu option to adjust LED notifications?

It should be CyanogenMod settings -> User interface -> LED notifications.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

chestnut santabag posted:

It should be CyanogenMod settings -> User interface -> LED notifications.

LED notifications isn't in the UI menu. Do I need to install bacon bits to have it?
I have:
General
Power prompt
Render effect
Automatic backlight

Status Bar Customization

Notification power widget

Accelerometer rotation
WebView
Overscrolling
Screen lock settings

Nothing related to LED. But I am getting the green light for notifications. I'd also like to adjust the button pulse light.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car
...and now I can't get my contacts on Cyanogen? Son of a bitch. I'm reflashing Fresh on here and I'm not touching another ROM for as long as I have this phone.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
So I got tired of waiting for an OTA update for my epic 4g, so I figured I'd try to make use of root and install a new ROM.

I already had ROM manager, I open it up and click "download ROMS" and the only thing that pops up is the Free -> Extras section that just has two superuser entries for ROM manager advanced mode. I dont see the list of ROMs that videos reviewing the app are showing me. I went ahead and upgraded the app, and that hasnt helped.

So I went and downloaded the DK28 ROM and I'm trying to install from SD card... Its not seeing that file on the SD card. What am I doing wrong here?

Resdfru
Jun 4, 2004

I'm a freak on a leash.
Forgive my stupid question. I rooted my Evo a few weeks ago. Never changed off Sense cause I like it. My question is about what I do in the future. I'm guessing if Sprint pushes an OTA update I refuse it. I bought Clockwork a while back too, should I just use that to install Fresh and not worry about things? I'm just wary of breaking the phone itself or breaking root but I also would like 2.3 at some point.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!

Urfdser posted:

Forgive my stupid question. I rooted my Evo a few weeks ago. Never changed off Sense cause I like it. My question is about what I do in the future. I'm guessing if Sprint pushes an OTA update I refuse it. I bought Clockwork a while back too, should I just use that to install Fresh and not worry about things? I'm just wary of breaking the phone itself or breaking root but I also would like 2.3 at some point.

If you updated your recovery image (sounds it, clockwork) when you did the root, then the OTA update will fail if it even downloads it. Normally you won't even get the update prompt, but since you didn't change the rom you may. Clockwork will refuse to load it though. Then, wait 3 hrs and check out XDA. They'll have the update baked into a stock rom normally. Install that and restart the cycle.

DeeVoc
Oct 27, 2008

calandryll posted:

I installed this on my fiancee's G1 over Thanksgiving. Installed 6.1-RC with it and all she does now is complain about how slow it is, to me it was running pretty snappy. What ROM are you running?

BiffMod 2.1, and yeah I tried the the early CM6 RCs which were really janky. Even the newer ones were a little rough until I moved to the new kernel in the link. There's also a good post on some tweaks you can do here. I wouldn't turn on JIT and found his auto-memory manager settings a bit too aggressive, but overall the advice is pretty solid.

deong
Jun 13, 2001

I'll see you in heck!
Has anyone tried the gingerbread keyboard?
I tried installing it using this guide and I honestly cannot tell if it worked. I do not think it did.. Its in an update.zip format, and only works on rooted/froyo phones.

edit: Looks like the droid life guys got the auto correct working sometime after talkandroid picked it up.

deong fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Dec 7, 2010

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

I had to reinstall CM from a wipe since everything blew up on my phone (FC's out the rear end, for EVERYTHING).

Anyway, now that I've got everything up and running, Messaging is not displaying my texts in sequential order.

At first I thought it was reverse order (newest on top, instead of bottom), now it looks like the sender's are on top, while mine are on the bottom.

Actually, holy poo poo... I just looked at the messages again...

They ARE in sequential order. For some reason its showing the wrong time that the messages have been received! For instance, its showing the sender's messages exactly 5 hours behind. However, my clock on phone is correct. It's almost as if it's not adjusting for GMT (even though we're both on the same network, in the same timezone, the same house!) Or something. But I can't tell what it really is.

Anyone know what could be causing this?

Doctor Butts fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Dec 7, 2010

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor Butts posted:

I had to reinstall CM from a wipe since everything blew up on my phone (FC's out the rear end, for EVERYTHING).

Anyway, now that I've got everything up and running, Messaging is not displaying my texts in sequential order.

At first I thought it was reverse order (newest on top, instead of bottom), now it looks like the sender's are on top, while mine are on the bottom.

Actually, holy poo poo... I just looked at the messages again...

They ARE in sequential order. For some reason its showing the wrong time that the messages have been received! For instance, its showing the sender's messages exactly 5 hours behind. However, my clock on phone is correct. It's almost as if it's not adjusting for GMT (even though we're both on the same network, in the same timezone, the same house!) Or something. But I can't tell what it really is.

Whatever you used to back things up did one of them in GMT and one of them in local time, would be my guess.

Doctor Butts
May 21, 2002

Like what? Can you think of an example?

I mean, I didn't back up any of my MMS. These are new. I'm trying to search for calendar stuff for timestamps/timezones but I can't find any so far.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

Doctor Butts posted:

Like what? Can you think of an example?

I mean, I didn't back up any of my MMS. These are new. I'm trying to search for calendar stuff for timestamps/timezones but I can't find any so far.

Oh, I thought this was old stuff. Uhh, that's hosed up, I have no idea, try a wipe/reflash.

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

diegetic poster posted:

...and now I can't get my contacts on Cyanogen? Son of a bitch. I'm reflashing Fresh on here and I'm not touching another ROM for as long as I have this phone.

Haha you didn't install Gapps. You should be mad at yourself, not Cyanogen.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I have a Droid Incredible (running standard Sense 2.2, it is one of the original Incredibles), current not rooted.

If I do a root, will that wipe all data on the phone (apps/contacts/messages/etc.), or will it still reside on the phone in its entirety? Also, if the root does wipe all data, is there a way to do a complete or even partial backup that would allow me to save that data before the root? Thanks.

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

ratbert90 posted:

Haha, that's funny. It's also interesting that Cyanogen is the only one that honors Google's request to bundle apps separately, all the loonies on XDA just package the whole house in with their ROMS.

It turns out that CM61 didn't include LED notification options, at least not for the G2. The speaker grill LED works, but it's not configurable. "LED me know" works fine, now I have one alert using the top LED for emails and the trackpad pulses fast for SMS. I'm happy now. :)

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

Doctor Butts posted:

I had this happen when geolocation via wifi networks put me in Shenzhen, Glasgow, and then some city in Germany. Meanwhile, I was sitting at my desk at my office just outside of Seattle. I can't remember whether it changed the phone's time or not when it did that, though.

sleepwalkers
Dec 7, 2008

DeeVoc posted:

I've been out of the Android loop since I switched carriers and away from Android, but I'm playing with my old MT3G (32B) now.
Is there an update.zip for this that doesn't involve fastboot? I'm not sure how easy it is to get a fastboot-enabled SPL working on my phone, and would love to just be able to flash a zip to get it to work.

JesusDoesVegas
Jul 8, 2005

The Funk Ambassador
Lipstick Apathy
I think I figured out my question. It looks like the Epic isnt supported by Rom Manager. Other galaxy phones are though. Not sure why it shows up in market if I can't use it. Ill going through recovery later tonight.

DIEGETIC SPACEMAN
Feb 25, 2007

fuck a car

ratbert90 posted:

Haha I did. Titanium has no problem copying my installed apps and phone log, but messages and contacts won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

diegetic poster posted:

Haha I did. Titanium has no problem copying my installed apps and phone log, but messages and contacts won't work.

Sense uses its own poo poo to store the messaging and contacts. That would by why they can't be restored - you're trying to restore invalid data. Sorry for your loss, I'd recommend using a platform agnostic backup for these (SMS Backup+ works for messages, Google syncs your contacts automatically).