Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Fano posted:

seriously considering a razer blackwidow here, all the other mechanical switch keyboards that I have seen are downright ugly </opinion>

I really love backlighting though, is the non-ultimate version not backlit?

it appears that the only feature the ultimate version has that the regular version doesn't is backlighting, and I'd really rather not have to shell out another $50 just to have backlit keys.

redeyes posted:

Back in stock at newegg Rosewill Cherry MX keyboards. $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DethMarine21
Dec 4, 2008
Yesterday I got the Logitech Illuminated keyboard that I ordered on Cyber Monday. I play a lot of games and was praying to receive one without ghosting problems, but the one I got ghosts on the combo W + Shift + Space. I suppose this can be worked around by using Ctrl instead of Shift, but if I had paid close to retail price I would be pretty angry.

Aside from that it's very nice; it looks very stylish and the backlighting is great.

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006
Does elitekeyboards no longer sell Filco?

Did they have a crazy blackfriday sale or something and are just out of stock?

Also how annoyed will all the non tech geeks be at work if I bring a Filco Cherry blue into the office? (Open office in a 30x30 room or so)

Edit: Read a page back and can see that they seem to have run out. I'll drop them an email and see if they will be in stock again before Christmas.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

redeyes posted:

Back in stock at newegg Rosewill Cherry MX keyboards. $99 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823201040

Mine was delivered a few days ago. It's AWESOME with the Cherry Blues. Filco's stock is so finicky and, well, they are overpriced. This Rosewill is just incredible! The free headset that comes with it is pretty nice as well! High recommend this if you want Cherry Blues at a good price vs. the Filcos.

Stink Fuck Rob
Nov 22, 2006
I HAVEN'T BATHED SINCE DECEMBER 4, 2009. ARE U READY FOR A STINK FUCK????
Anyone have any opinions on the Microsoft Sidewinder x4?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=23-109-191&

I'm looking for a new keyboard to replace my Saitek Eclipse II, which has been falling apart after a couple years of use. The Eclipse II has some neato backlighting, but to me it feels cheaper than my roommate's mass-produced dell keyboard - So I'm skeptical of other low-end "gaming" keyboards

I like the idea of macro buttons and anti-ghosting, but I'm mostly looking for a solid keyboard with good build quality for ~$50

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

So, I finally got my Filco with cherry blues in. The thing is pretty drat loud, but I love it. The sound is pretty cool.

Also, the keyboard feels really nice to type on. I'm going to have some adjustment time coming from the Logitech Illuminated, but I'm pretty sure I'm already typing faster on this thing than I did on the Logitech.

The build quality is awesome. The keyboard is heavy as poo poo and feels super sturdy. The plastic feet are very good, it doesn't slide around my desk at all, even if I try to.

All in all, I'm thrilled with my purchase. Can't wait for the blank keycap browns to come back in stock, I think i'm going to pick one of those up.

Bryne
Feb 13, 2008

The Treachery of Forums

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

I like the idea of macro buttons and anti-ghosting, but I'm mostly looking for a solid keyboard with good build quality for ~$50
These aren't the droids you're looking for~

I picked up a Sidewinder on the cheap on Black Friday and it's 'solid' enough, but it's relatively chintzy glossy plastic with low-profile key caps which (to me at least) really make a keyboard feel cheap more than anything else. It's hard to get a decent backlit gaming keyboard for that price but I wouldn't say it feels more solid than your average crappy Dell keyboard.

Bryne fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 5, 2010

Lemons
Jul 18, 2003

I got a sidewinder x4 a couple days ago on a black friday deal. Seems pretty solid to me, and I like it so far. But then again I'm not a keyboard snob and I don't know anything about cherry filco browns or whatever, so take my opinion as you will.

She
Sep 26, 2007

Hey keyboard megathread! :buddy:

Are there otherwise-standard numpadless keyboards to be had for under $50? I'm looking to narrow this uncomfortable distance:

by putting the numpad on the other side.
(photos not mine)

I'd like the keys to not require too much pressure but not be so sensitive that you can't rest your fingers on them, and not be so shallow or cramped that 1/4"-long nails would pose an accuracy problem; wireless would be nice; media keys are unnecessary; really don't want any sort of wrist-rest. Does something close to this exist?

And who should I look to for a no-frills, hopefully-wireless keypad to go with it? No clear winners (in either case) have really jumped out in my Googlings.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.
The Microsoft Sidewinder X6 is $65 on tigerdirect. It's a little over budget but fits the description. Plus you don't need to pay for an external numpad, you just move it to the left of the keyboard.

Edit: built-in wrist rest though. sorry.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

She posted:

Are there otherwise-standard numpadless keyboards to be had for under $50?
Try here for a start:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007651%20600009667&IsNodeId=1&name=Mini

My first suggestion would be the Lenovo ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint or one of the Filco boards. Unfortunately, the Filcos are over budget and MIA in the US until after the holidays.

A couple of cheapies to look at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823191005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166102

EnergizerFellow fucked around with this message at 03:19 on Dec 6, 2010

Kuule hain nussivan
Nov 27, 2008

The keyboard on my laptop recently broke and now I'm in the market for an external one. Since I'd like it to be as portable as possible I was thinking of getting a flexible/folding one. What's the general consensus on them and does anyone have any recommendations?

Scarboy
Jan 31, 2001

Good Luck!

She posted:

Hey keyboard megathread! :buddy:

Are there otherwise-standard numpadless keyboards to be had for under $50? I'm looking to narrow this uncomfortable distance:

by putting the numpad on the other side.
(photos not mine)

I'd like the keys to not require too much pressure but not be so sensitive that you can't rest your fingers on them, and not be so shallow or cramped that 1/4"-long nails would pose an accuracy problem; wireless would be nice; media keys are unnecessary; really don't want any sort of wrist-rest. Does something close to this exist?

And who should I look to for a no-frills, hopefully-wireless keypad to go with it? No clear winners (in either case) have really jumped out in my Googlings.

I was going to recommend the compact Apple Keyboard but it's been discontinued. Just spend $15 more and get the wireless version. It's about as no-frills as it gets. If you're using Windows, you might consider getting something else because it's annoying to pair.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:

DethMarine21 posted:

Yesterday I got the Logitech Illuminated keyboard that I ordered on Cyber Monday. I play a lot of games and was praying to receive one without ghosting problems, but the one I got ghosts on the combo W + Shift + Space. I suppose this can be worked around by using Ctrl instead of Shift, but if I had paid close to retail price I would be pretty angry.

Aside from that it's very nice; it looks very stylish and the backlighting is great.

Pretty much why I returned mine (every thing else was soooo nice). I did not like that I couldn't sprint and jump in BC2 like I used to. Got a Filco instead.

Coconut Pete
Jul 31, 2004

Bad Mother Fucker

MasterColin posted:

Does elitekeyboards no longer sell Filco?

Did they have a crazy blackfriday sale or something and are just out of stock?

Also how annoyed will all the non tech geeks be at work if I bring a Filco Cherry blue into the office? (Open office in a 30x30 room or so)

Edit: Read a page back and can see that they seem to have run out. I'll drop them an email and see if they will be in stock again before Christmas.

As far as I know EliteKeyboards will no longer be stocking Filco, they will replace them with Leopold starting early next year.

http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?t=13258

MasterColin
Aug 4, 2006

Coconut Pete posted:

As far as I know EliteKeyboards will no longer be stocking Filco, they will replace them with Leopold starting early next year.

drat. Oh well Picked up the Rosewill last night. Sadly I don't get it until christmas :(

bitprophet
Jul 22, 2004
Taco Defender
Finally got/unpacked my tenkeyless Filco w/ browns. It's real nice! And so small!

Still getting used to the keys and the layout (my prior board was a Comfort Curve 2000 so I have to slightly readjust to the fully straight rows) but having the mouse be far closer to my center makes my mouse hand/arm very happy.

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Coconut Pete posted:

This is awesome, the removable cable has been something I've been looking for, hopefully they are picking it up and in a decent price range.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.
They look kinda roundy. I wonder if they'll come out with special editions and colors and stuff.

I try not to regret things but I kinda regret not getting the white tenkeyless filco when it was in. :(

She
Sep 26, 2007

Thanks for the replies! A little late, but,

EnergizerFellow posted:

Try here for a start:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007651%20600009667&IsNodeId=1&name=Mini

My first suggestion would be the Lenovo ThinkPad USB Keyboard with TrackPoint or one of the Filco boards. Unfortunately, the Filcos are over budget and MIA in the US until after the holidays.

A couple of cheapies to look at:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823191005
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16823166102

I've run across a lot of these mini keyboards, but they all seem to have a squashed/rearranged layout — what I'm looking for is more a full-sized keyboard with the keypad sawed off. The relevant Filcos, etc. on elitekeyboards looked great, but holy hell can I ever not afford to spring for a $200-300 keyboard at the moment. Is this sort of thing just not available on the cheap end?

Scarboy posted:

I was going to recommend the compact Apple Keyboard but it's been discontinued. Just spend $15 more and get the wireless version. It's about as no-frills as it gets. If you're using Windows, you might consider getting something else because it's annoying to pair.

Yeah, I should have mentioned — I'm on Windows 7. :saddowns:

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

She posted:

Yeah, I should have mentioned — I'm on Windows 7. :saddowns:

A wireless Apple keyboard is just bluetooth, it'll work just fine. Personally, I think that keyboard is the best HTPC keyboards. It's small, slim and sturdy. Everything is a huge, plasticly, and has a bunch of eyeblinding leds.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I picked up a Razor Lycosa this week and I love the drat thing. Except, the lighting and I have an issue. The keyboard does not light up when I boot my computer. I have to manually press the light key on my keyboard or go into the software and turn it on... despite it being set to "on" in the settings every time I open them. Is there a hidden setting somewhere to make my keyboard light up on its own without input from me? For what it's worth I'm running Win 7 64-bit.

pokecapn
Oct 17, 2003

yeah, galo sengen

She posted:

Thanks for the replies! A little late, but,

I've run across a lot of these mini keyboards, but they all seem to have a squashed/rearranged layout — what I'm looking for is more a full-sized keyboard with the keypad sawed off. The relevant Filcos, etc. on elitekeyboards looked great, but holy hell can I ever not afford to spring for a $200-300 keyboard at the moment. Is this sort of thing just not available on the cheap end?

The Microsoft Sidewinder X6 has a detachable numpad that can also re-attach to the left side. I dunno if anyone here owns one, though.

edit: It's $70 retail and is currently $60 on Amazon, etc.

mellowjournalism
Jul 31, 2004

helllooo

Verizian posted:

I've used an MS Arc from two rooms and a staircase away, say 15-20 metres. No media keys though and the glossy finish on the edge means it attracts more smudged fingerprints than a touchscreen.

So I bought an MS Arc and the thing apparently can't make it through a door + wall. I have really thin walls (I believe drywall) and I'm less than 25 ft away. If I lift the keyboard higher I can get better reception but I bought this thing to sit on my couch, not stand in the living room.

I guess I should try that MX5500 someone mentioned, but before I just trial-buy another keyboard, does anyone know what wireless keyboard has the ABSOLUTE best range? Or what wireless technologies have the best range/penetration?

Stormy the Rabbit
Sep 16, 2008

5 more minutes of this and I'm gonna get mad!
My "H" button on my Filco Majestouch has stopped working for some reason. Does anyone have any information on repairing it please? It's still under warranty so I could send it to be repaired if recommended, but I'd rather do it myself (if it's possible) to save time and money.

One Swell Foop
Aug 5, 2010

I'm afraid we have no time for codes and manners.

yellowjournalism posted:

I guess I should try that MX5500 someone mentioned, but before I just trial-buy another keyboard, does anyone know what wireless keyboard has the ABSOLUTE best range? Or what wireless technologies have the best range/penetration?

Nobody else has replied yet, so I'll have a stab. Of the devices that operate in the consumer ranges, I believe only Bluetooth and 802.11 have transmission standards. It looks like the dongle is the main factor in transmission range; a class I bluetooth dongle will give the greatest range. Other wireless systems tend to be proprietary and implementations can vary even within a manufacturer's range, so for reliable long range, I'd be looking for a bluetooth setup with a Class I receiver (the class of the devices themselves matters less, I believe).

I'm no expert, but this is my understanding.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Kilometers Davis posted:

Does anyone know when the Razer Anansi is actually going to be released? I can't wait to get it.

Anyone? I wish Razer would post a shipping date.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Stink gently caress Rob posted:

Might be a little late, but I replaced my original Saitek Eclipse (6 years old) with a black Friday Sidewinder x4 about 2 weeks ago.

It certainly is a different feel, the keys on the sidewinder are shallower and I had a bit of a problem getting used to it initially. However, now that I have spent some good time with it I really like it. The keyboard is not as heavy as the Saitek, but feels just as solid to me. The back light on the Sidewinder is much better than the Eclipse also, bright and even.

As it stands, I've forgotten what using the Saitek was like and don't find myself missing it at all. I really like the Sidewinder (especially for 30 bucks) and if it lasts half as long as my Saitek.

very
Jan 25, 2005

I err on the side of handsome.

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

My "H" button on my Filco Majestouch has stopped working for some reason. Does anyone have any information on repairing it please? It's still under warranty so I could send it to be repaired if recommended, but I'd rather do it myself (if it's possible) to save time and money.

They'd probably send you a new one which would be much better than worrying about your ghetto fix forever.

NickPancakes
Oct 27, 2004

Damnit, somebody get me a tissue.

Any good tenkeyless keyboard that supports 4 or more key rollover for less than $100?

weapey
Jun 11, 2003

stomp stomp stomp

Stormy the Rabbit posted:

The left alt key went on my Filco and I registered a RMA as it was still in warranty. I got a replacement posted to me when they were back I stock.

I could live with remapping the left win key to alt for a couple of weeks though - kinda sucks it's a char key smack in the middle of your keyboard.

Edit: this was in the UK. f course, YMMV, especially with reading about stock issues within this thread

fack you
Sep 12, 2002

For Life
Are there any mechanical keyboards that use the Sun layout, besides the Happy Hacking Pro? I know I can just remap keys, but some keyboards have a gap between the caps lock and 'a' key which I think might be annoying if it's going to be used as a control key. Also, I'm a spergy linux user and don't want a windows logo on my meta key :smug:

I have the HHKB Lite 2, and I love it, but I want the clicky clicky and can't really see myself paying that much for a pro.

pizzadog
Oct 9, 2009

Can anybody recommend a good 3rd party Mac USB or wireless keyboard? My wired apple keyboard for my iMac broke (I spilled water on it. Twice.) and I like how small it is (about 1 foot wide), I'm used to it (I don't need a num pad, but I do need arrow keys), etc., but it's going to cost $50 or $70 to replace, and I'm cheap. Any suggestions? If not I'll buck up the cash but just seeing if anybody here knew of one they tried and like.

ndrz
Oct 31, 2003

Puppy Milliner posted:

Are there any mechanical keyboards that use the Sun layout, besides the Happy Hacking Pro? I know I can just remap keys, but some keyboards have a gap between the caps lock and 'a' key which I think might be annoying if it's going to be used as a control key. Also, I'm a spergy linux user and don't want a windows logo on my meta key :smug:

I have the HHKB Lite 2, and I love it, but I want the clicky clicky and can't really see myself paying that much for a pro.

I have my caps lock and control switched with SharpKeys on my tenkeyless Filco, and it doesn't feel awkward at all. I have the same thing done on my MacBook Pro's keyboard, and it feels fine there as well.

I do agree with the stupid Windows logo though, along with the context menu key. Both of those are stupid.

EnergizerFellow
Oct 11, 2005

More drunk than a barrel of monkeys

Puppy Milliner posted:

The only manufacturers I know of who still do Sun/UNIX layouts in hardware are Unicomp and Topre. The latter makes Happy Hacking in addition to their more conventional Realforce line.

Richard M Nixon
Apr 26, 2009

"The greatest honor history can bestow is the title of peacemaker."
I just got a Das Keyboard Ultimate Model S as an early Xmas gift and it is :krad:. I'm alt tabbing at lightning speeds and hearing each little clickity-clack as I type this post is arousing me somewhat (nipples at least). I can't get my computer to pick up the PS/2 connection for some reason, but that aside there is nothing I don't like about this thing. I haven't had a chance to game yet, but I'll be doing some TF2 later on and will post a trip report afterwords.

Seriously, I'm sexually aroused from hearing this thing click. I don't want to stop posti-

reborn
Feb 21, 2007

I just got a Deck Legend keyboard recently but I haven't had any luck looking for custom keycaps. Anyone know where you can pickup replacement/custom keycaps?

Thanks!

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
What are the thoughts on the Logitech G110 Gaming keyboard?

Can the extra keys be programmed to do stuff outside of games (I like to do one-key cut/copy/paste)?

fishbacon
Nov 4, 2009
wonderful yet strange smell

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Can the extra keys be programmed to do stuff outside of games (I like to do one-key cut/copy/paste)?

I have never tried one, but most of the time you can use AHK (http://www.autohotkey.com/) to remap the keys to do whatever you want.

But I bet the keyboard comes with a macro program which you can use to re-program it with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Trip report for the Rosewill Cherry Blue Mechanical keyboard. It's a nice solid, heavy keyboard which is nice, and the cherry blue keys, while a little loud, as someone put it in this thread "is the sound of poo poo getting done." The braided cord is a nice touch, but the Blue LEDs above the numpad (for num, caps, and scroll lock) are SUPER bright if you look directly at them. Not so much when you are normally angled off as you would be typing. The keycaps are pretty smooth (not that textured) and the printing is raised off the key, so you can feel that as you are typing.

I'm pretty happy with this thing, now it will be a question of whether or not I can piss off of the legal assistants in my office with my typing.

EDIT:

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

I've had a G15 before, and the keyboard ships with some software that allows you to set up some pretty complicated macros very simply. You can have keypresses, held keys, pauses, and I think with the later versions of the software, mouse clicks too. It's quite nice. Once you have a keyboard that can do on the fly macros, anytime you find yourself doing repetitive tasks, you record a macro, it's pretty awesome.

Legit Businessman fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Dec 25, 2010

• Locked thread