Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

Disgruntled (IT) Employee

Carlos posted:

Beach Day is finally here! It's like I live for this day!
It's the day when all the girls in bikinis fall for me. Ha ha ha!
Oh, bro', you better not be staring at the ladies!
Stare at me instead. Ha ha ha.

I have a few questions for wii-ware/virtual console.*
How does the original Harvest Moon stack up after all this time on its own, or against Rune Factory 3? I think I'm having more fun with RF3, but that may be the compulsive monster-mangler inside me.

What the hell is Harvest Moon: My Little Shop? The little video on Nintendo's site makes me think it was a horrible idea that shouldn't have seen the light of day.

Some Review posted:

Harvest Moon: My Little Shop is really good at what it does, and what it does is bring the tedium of working in the food service industry right into your home.

*I mostly just needed an excuse to quote Carlos there. Just padding my post now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

May 1, 2008

ಠ_ಠ
Anyone else have a hard time getting Emiko's yellow heart event to trigger in Wind Bazaar? I swear I saw the blue event, and I had been keeping a counter of the number of gifts I've given her...I should already be at 120, but the last heart event wont trigger. Help?

Chu Chu
Jun 15, 2010

LordSloth posted:

I have a few questions for wii-ware/virtual console.

I have the original cart and the VC version...but SNES Harvest Moon is a game that I obsessed over as a kid, reading and re-reading the Epic Center and feature articles in Nintendo Power. If I were to rank the games, it would probably hit my third favorite of the series, with More Friends of Mineral Town second and the 64 version taking the top.

I like the simplicity, I have Rune Factory 1 and didn't really get into it. Same thing happened with Island of Happiness. There is only so much micro-managing of different crops, people, and animals I can take.

Probably the biggest disappointment to me of the current games is that I want the characters to have more than 5 canned phrases to say to you at different levels of friendship. It sounds really lame, but I like when the characters tell you background about the town and their lives.

Or maybe I'm not a 9 year old playing a farming/romance sim anymore. :(

e: Grammar...

Chu Chu fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Dec 6, 2010

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

LordSloth posted:

What the hell is Harvest Moon: My Little Shop? The little video on Nintendo's site makes me think it was a horrible idea that shouldn't have seen the light of day.

It's more like Cooking Mama than anything else, except that the minigames don't work properly. Don't bother with it. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King will definitely scratch the Harvest Moon itch so get that instead.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

It's more like Cooking Mama than anything else, except that the minigames don't work properly. Don't bother with it. Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles: My Life as a King will definitely scratch the Harvest Moon itch so get that instead.

I played My Life as a King for a few hours, and while it was a pretty good game, it isn't really anything like Harvest Moon so I'm at a loss as to why you're saying this.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Quit being so down on RF2, y'all bitches loved RF2 when it came out. RF3's story is so annoyingly loving short though. I'm almost done with the 'plot' and then I'm just gonna be raising a farm/family for the hell of it. I like having some solid goals in-game even if they're kinda dumb. It's cos all you whiny jerks complained about the long RF2 pre-game :argh:

Mountaineer posted:

If for some reason you decide to play both 2 and 3, you should play 2 first. If you go back to 2 after playing 3 you will be annoyed at the absence of some features.

Yeah, I still love 2 and wanna play it again after this, but I'm dreading having to go back to the same slowass farming and less-good leveling/rune systems. Plus most of the villagers aren't as nutty. :(

Chu Chu posted:

Probably the biggest disappointment to me of the current games is that I want the characters to have more than 5 canned phrases to say to you at different levels of friendship. It sounds really lame, but I like when the characters tell you background about the town and their lives.

Dude, RF3 is actually really good with this. I swear characters say different poo poo to me almost every time I see them. There are only a handful of repeated phrases I've had thrown at me throughout the entire game. The friendship level, the day, the time, the location, gameplay progression, people they're with, all seems to have an effect on what they say to you. Some npcs are better at this than others, like Herman for example only says a few things over and over (it's not too bad because he's a very one-track-mind character). But Daria and Gaius and motherfucking Pia come out with such wide varieties that it seems they have a new line almost each day.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

... Sometimes they even have several things to tell you the same day.

Fun fact: There is some dialog only available when other citizens wander into a shop.

Particularly memorable is Collette and Marian.

Is Harvest Moon 64 available anywhere other than physical cartridge?

Office Thug
Jan 17, 2008

Luke Cage just shut you down!

Grozz Nuy posted:

I think you get a point bonus if the crop is in the correct season, but a golden pumpkin is probably so much more valuable than any of the other contestants you won anyway.

Yeah that's exactly what's going on, since i only got 600ish points when I entered it in the spring contest but i got 800ish points in the winter contest.

Also is there an easy way to get more golden-crop seeds other than at the yearly Bazaar in RF3?

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Raepdog posted:

I liked Rune Factory, hows the second one?

RF2 is good, but the main issue is that you don't get to do any of the cool crafting stuff until much later in the game.

RF3 is generally much better in that they put a lot of "Quality of Life" features in the game.

Also, the ladies in RF3 are much more hilariously wacky. I'm convinced Sofia is trying to murder her father with all of those Failed Dishes. =(

(ps Pia is the best)

Night Gaunt
Jan 9, 2007

Everyone should play RF2. RF2 has Max in it.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Hey, is there a reason to tame monsters that aren't cows/chickens/sheep? Do other things just leave you a drop every day or something?

Wet Biscuit McGlee
Jul 13, 2006

girls hate me

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Hey, is there a reason to tame monsters that aren't cows/chickens/sheep? Do other things just leave you a drop every day or something?

Other monsters will do your crops on your main field and I think hornets give you honey.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

How many times must I remind you to WASH YOUR HANDS?

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Yeah, different monsters will give you a different thing every day (though not every monster will give you something). Tamed hornets will give you honey, scorpions will give you a stinger, etc.

Hipster Scumbag
Apr 6, 2007

by T. Finn
Thanks. Any way to cope with hurricanes? last one was huge and leveled nearly every last plant I had - way worse than previous ones.

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Hipster Scumbag posted:

Thanks. Any way to cope with hurricanes? last one was huge and leveled nearly every last plant I had - way worse than previous ones.

From what I've heard the best way is to keep your soil quality high by giving it a withered grass treatment every couple of harvests. Plant a cheap, out of season flower and hoe down the withered grass the next day.

Failing that, save abuse.

Zettace
Nov 30, 2009
Starting some requests will make the day sunny again which will cancel out hurricanes. Also in my experience, hurricanes do much more damage if you go do sleep while one is happening. So try to stay awake until the hurricane passes and hope for the best.

MissKitteh
Mar 11, 2010
I just picked RF3 up a few days ago, I've been a huge Harvest Moon fan since I played the one on the super nintendo... Needless to say I feel pretty addicted right now. Haven't decided who to peruse, all of the ladies are quite hilarious in their own way. Daria has the weirdest conversation starters ever. :3:

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Jesus christ Shino

Micah :v: I'm just like you, Pia. I'm part of two worlds. *transforms*
Pia :3: OMG SO CUUUUUTE *hugs into coma*
:v: Don't tell anyone, okay?
:3: Okay!

Shino :keke: Oh hello you two, did you have a good time?
:3: Yeah! Micah showed me something special!
:keke: Oh...?
:3: Yeah, his 'thing' was really cute!
:keke: His... 'thing' was cute? Well I'm sure I don't know what that means... oh, Micah, you know I'm thinking of having my sword sharpened?
:v: :gonk:
:keke: Yes, I'm not sure if I should ask you or Gaius to do it.
:v: Oh... haha, okay.
:keke: Well, thanks for cheering up Pia. Just remember... if anything untoward should happen to her...
:v: :gonk:

Then for a present she gives me a sword. I'm surprised she didn't leave it stabbed into my pillow or something.

Corridor fucked around with this message at 10:41 on Dec 8, 2010

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion

Corridor posted:

Jesus christ Shino

This morning this conversation occured:

:v: *hands Shina a mushroom*
:keke: "This is great! I like this!"
:v: :D
:keke: "But it's poisonous however..."
:v: "Oh, I'm so sorry-"
:keke: "No, it's fine- they're all so delicious!"
:v: :stare:

I'm just imagining her catching blowfish with her bare hands now and just biting into them.

I really have to say that RF3's writing is really, really good. I've had a really good # of snickering/ laughing out loud moments.

Edit: Do they ever explain why Karina is so lazy? I keep thinking I'll find out she has "rune sickness" or something and then I'll feel like a giant jerk :smith:

Dragongem fucked around with this message at 16:22 on Dec 8, 2010

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

Dragongem posted:

Do they ever explain why Karina is so lazy? I keep thinking I'll find out she has "rune sickness" or something and then I'll feel like a giant jerk :smith:

First time I saw her I thought she was narcoleptic.

Man there have been at least three instances of Carlos swooning over some encounter with a girl - "Carlos, do you... like... Raven?" - and then it turns out he was actually swooning over their entrepreneurial skills or items they were holding or whatever. And then Micah goes "Phew you scared me :iamafag:"

tudabee
Jan 1, 2007

Dragongem posted:

This morning this conversation occured:

:v: *hands Shina a mushroom*
:keke: "This is great! I like this!"
:v: :D
:keke: "But it's poisonous however..."
:v: "Oh, I'm so sorry-"
:keke: "No, it's fine- they're all so delicious!"
:v: :stare:

I'm just imagining her catching blowfish with her bare hands now and just biting into them.

But apparently her weakness is apples. I gave her one while we were dungeon crawling and she died. :saddowns: Seriously, apples? Who the hell hates apples?

I'm becoming fond of Daria and her habit of breaking the fourth wall. I picked the bottom answer to one of her questions and she told me to pick the top one next time. And then she made a title for herself that doesn't even fit. RAINBOW!

Keyboard Fox
Apr 14, 2006

CALM THE HELL DOWN

endolithic posted:

But apparently her weakness is apples. I gave her one while we were dungeon crawling and she died. :saddowns: Seriously, apples? Who the hell hates apples?

Maybe she's a midlander?

Sumac
Sep 5, 2006

It doesn't matter now, come on get happy

Corridor posted:

:3: Yeah! Micah showed me something special!
:keke: Oh...?
:3: Yeah, his 'thing' was really cute!

You show her your cute thing and she reveals fishy secret? :v:

I just got this the other day and I can't agree enough about the quality of the writing. Harvest Moon 64 was the first I played, so that set the bar for gameplay pretty high, but up until Rune Factory 3 every game I tried was either awful or bland. I didn't like the characters or the art at first, but I pulled the quickest 180 on this game when I started actually going out and talking to people.

LordSloth
Mar 7, 2008

The second desert dungeon (RF3) was an unpleasant (but neat) surprise on hard. I was doing the main quest of the area for the first time when I found out some enemies can come in extra large versions. It's no problem when it's just a large duck, but Master Trolls are a whole other deal AND FREAKING HUGE (I thought it was the boss since it showed up on the way back). It was quite possibly more dangerous than the area boss, especially without the option of reloading a save to fight again.

Neat fact: I came back later and found out that these monsters can sleep as well! I wonder if you could tame them eventually... Still died, let sleeping Master Trolls lie.

Also, why the gently caress do none of the shopkeepers match their store hours? The Veggie Shop is a particularly egregious offender. She's not the only one, but is there any way to make these shopkeepers actually keep their times, or do I have to assume they will always ditch the shop before the day's money comes in?

Edit: So it turns out that completing the second dungeon allows you to get furniture AND storage upgrades from a the Evelyn (in her house) and the Diamond General Store (Veggie shop). Nice, but damned expensive in terms of wood. There's no way to get more very quickly, right? Except for letting a field lie untilled and hope for stump spawns.

Do the apple monsters give any gifts if tamed? I was hoping for high level apples, but no luck so far. In fact, I'm tempted to get rid of all the animals: they have an annoying tendency to get in the way when I'm farming/harvesting, whether I have them working the field or not.

Also, Wet Boots are drat annoying. I'm not sure it's worth the crit boost.

LordSloth fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Dec 10, 2010

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984
I'm balls deep in RF2, but have yet to finish it (off & on); how much of an improvement is RF3?

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

The Joe Man posted:

I'm balls deep in RF2, but have yet to finish it (off & on); how much of an improvement is RF3?

You know that annoying slowdown you get sometimes in RF2 if there's too much happening on screen? That's more or less gone now. It happens if the entire village decides to show up all at once in one area but even then it's not as bad.

There's a minimap that shows the location and movement of all the villagers if you needed to track someone down easier.

Farming is a bit different though. Growing crops requires a bag of seeds per square instead of one bag yielding nine squares. Weather can change dynamically in a single day. But most importantly, you can now stack crops and items on the go and even throw them! They don't even disappear if you put them on the ground.

The RPG aspect is a definite improvement. Combat is more fluid and fast paced compared to the older RFs. All the weapon types are viable and you can combo and use skills more readily. Another change is you can invite certain villagers to go dungeon crawling with you and they level up and use equipment like you do.

Corridor
Oct 19, 2006

The Joe Man posted:

Aside from what Yellowcar said, there are 3 request boards but you can only take one request per board per day. And the characters are also more insane somehow, plus the characterisation seems to be a little better in general. I hated half the bachelorettes in RF2 for being manipulative entitled brats (would you go on this long and annoying mission for me to get a thing? oh thanks you did it, I didn't really need the thing I just wanted to see if you liked me, tee hee!). In RF3 I only really hate Marian, and she's intended to be abusive and dangerously incompetant.

That said, RF2 is still cool. Unless you think you're never going to finish it anyway, you should probably stick with it first because going back to it after RF3 is gonna be painful.

e: Holy poo poo, did a bachelorette just react to our growing romance like a sensible adult?

Daria: Thanks for everything. I really like you.
Micah: Oh, I, uh, I don't know what you -
Daria: Oh hush. *hugs and kisses Micah* Come back and see me sometime.

yellowcar
Feb 14, 2010

Daria is the best. :3: But when you go on a date with her after you married her, you get pretty :smith: conversations because she mentions her elven longevity but it gets better when you reassure her. :unsmith:

ZarathustraFollower
Mar 14, 2009

I just did a quest for Carlos called 'Take it Bro' Dammit man.

Why has no one made a joke about the crystals and captain planet (Earth, wind, fire, water, and heart (the love crystal is a god drat heart))

GUYS STOP
Jun 7, 2003
Grimey Drawer

ZarathustraFollower posted:

I just did a quest for Carlos called 'Take it Bro' Dammit man.

Why has no one made a joke about the crystals and captain planet (Earth, wind, fire, water, and heart (the love crystal is a god drat heart))

Because elemental crystals are in every single fantasy genre video game ever.

Tesla was right
Apr 3, 2009

Whats with all the robot sex avatars?
Oh great, now Pia told me I make a good wife! She is colluding with Daria, and possibly Carlos!
Also I married Raven and she still only talks to me from over her shoulder. If this persists, consumating our marriage may be difficult.

Dragongem
Nov 9, 2009

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I handed my wife Pia a Balmung (I think the best Longsword) and she and I are dungeon crawling.

I find it...hilarious to see her swinging around a legendary sword like that then talking about baths. She's gonna be just like Shino :3:

SUPERFINE CONCUBINE
Jun 28, 2008

☆ catgroove ☆
When I go on a date with Carmen after marriage, she asks who Carlos should hook up with. I was disappointed that all the choices were girls with no 'comedy' male option.

Also, Shino is total boss. I would so marry her if I could. She is just as insane as everyone else and way less annoying than her daughter. Although she did blushingly tell me, "I learned how to fight so I could meet cute monsters..."

:stare:

my morning jackass
Aug 24, 2009

If this has already asked I apologize, but does RF3 have multiple save files? I couldn't find out with a google search.

Turncoat Mommy
Oct 3, 2010

I believe in you.

Ghost of Castro posted:

If this has already asked I apologize, but does RF3 have multiple save files? I couldn't find out with a google search.

Yes, go play the game.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post
RF3 is very fun, everyone should get it.

speaking of, has anyone else played the hell out of it yet?

Freya's guides are so badass because they really are all you need to play the game well.

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer
More fun than RF2? First generation was a real chore to get through and I stuck it out because second generation was supposed to be great. It was better, but the game still felt pretty dull to me.

Fontoyn
Aug 25, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

rt4 posted:

More fun than RF2? First generation was a real chore to get through and I stuck it out because second generation was supposed to be great. It was better, but the game still felt pretty dull to me.

I'm sort of having a good time with it still because of the massive crafting system and quality modifiers on everything. Because my time with RF2 wasn't that long, I can't really compare the two in terms of completeness.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow
I just beat RF3, and I was going to go back and play the first one until I remembered that the only way you can run in the game is by holding down the R button the entire time. :argh:

Night Gaunt posted:

Does Kuruna still call you comrade if you marry her? The answer will be very important in my decision making process.

Tragically, no. As fun as it was to marry a racist soviet unicorn I'm having second thoughts. I should have married Pia. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.T Zander
Aug 27, 2008

by angerbot
I can't take this poo poo, it's too much.

Can someone just tell me which one(s) to get? I loved Friends of Mineral Town but I need more now. I dunno if I can handle monsters, a bazzar, and all this extra poo poo. I don't wanna miss anything good, but I kinda want the newest one.

Will I be overwhelmed with poo poo to do? Which one do you guys think is right for me? I should add that outside the tutorial or first time doing something, I don't like mandatory poo poo. IE: "Go out and collect monsters/coins/whatever the gently caress right loving now!" *Warps character to gently caress knows* I don't like things happening too fast either. I liked Friends of Mineral Town, because you could get married whenever the gently caress, and the game progressed as you decided to do things. I don't wanna be time's bitch.

Edit: Just so you know, I don't have to settle on one, but please advise as to which one I should play first if reccomending multiples.

I.T Zander fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 16, 2011

• Locked thread