Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

I'm 10-10.5

Thanks for all the boot help.

And I already have this KTM item on my x-mas list. Right after the toaster.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Don't forget to get the little one started out right.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took the DRZ out for a spin today, fun as usual. Got home and Dad (in town for a couple days) is standing outside waiting his turn. Somehow my helmet, gloves and textile fit him so he suits up and heads out...across the lawn. Came back a half hour later laughing his rear end off. He has been introduced to the dark side.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That's what happened to me. I hadn't ridden in about 4 months and said I'd wait a year to get a bike.

Was visiting a friend who had a KTM 690 SM at home. While he was in the states he got a 625 SMC. He said I should take it out, check it out, etc.

I threw on my gear that he was borrowing and took off. Could hardly keep the front end town and was just tootin' around feeling like a little kid. Came back with a big smile and had my bike the next weekend.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I'm selling or parting my DRZ. See the marketplace for details.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002

Z3n posted:

I'm selling or parting my DRZ. See the marketplace for details.

downsizing the stable or upsizing the sumo?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
Neither. Realized that I need to focus cleanly on one aspect of riding if I expect to do it well, if I want to get back into roadracing I need to stop sinking money into sumo. I might pick up a dirt bike depending on how things go with the DRZ, but we'll see. The money I could make parting the DRZ would pay for a LOT of trackdays and tires...I can always pick up a cheap beater if I feel like street cruising.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Z3n posted:

Neither. Realized that I need to focus cleanly on one aspect of riding if I expect to do it well, if I want to get back into roadracing I need to stop sinking money into sumo. I might pick up a dirt bike depending on how things go with the DRZ, but we'll see. The money I could make parting the DRZ would pay for a LOT of trackdays and tires...I can always pick up a cheap beater if I feel like street cruising.

I've never taken any of my bikes to the track. How much do you usually pay for a day + tires / fuel?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Sumo track, figure 25-50$ for entry and tires needed roughly every 5 days.

Roadrace track, figure 80-200$ a day, with tires lasting 2-4 days depending on bike and pace.

Fuel is usually about 5 gallons of whatever you typically run in your bike. The worst gas mileage I got on my modded sv was 15mpg, I'll probably get somewhere in the 20s on the gsxr600. You use a lot less fuel on the lower speed sumo tracks.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Sad. You can always ride my sumo when you get the shakes pal. In the meantime, use 1k of the sale to buy a dirt bike.

BaKESAL3
Nov 7, 2010

Z3n posted:

Sumo track, figure 25-50$ for entry and tires needed roughly every 5 days.

Roadrace track, figure 80-200$ a day, with tires lasting 2-4 days depending on bike and pace.

Fuel is usually about 5 gallons of whatever you typically run in your bike. The worst gas mileage I got on my modded sv was 15mpg, I'll probably get somewhere in the 20s on the gsxr600. You use a lot less fuel on the lower speed sumo tracks.

Wow, thanks for the detailed list, wasn't expecting that much info! I'm definitely taking my bike to the track sometime soon :D

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I'd love to get into racing but it just requires such a huge commitment. I don't have the money for a dedicated trackbike, a way to haul it, the entry fees, hotel fees (or camping gear), fuel, enormous amount of rubber, and the time constraints. I literally don't know how you can work a normal 9-5 job and race at the same time, it doesn't seem possible, unless you live right around the corner from a bunch of tracks. I live in Connecticut and my options are Loudon (3.5 hours away) or New Jersey Motorsports Park (4.5 hours away).

It seems like you're either born into a racing family or you're hosed and can't get into it until much later in life when you actually have the means to compete, and by then you're too old to be competitive.

Jazzzzz
May 16, 2002
the local kart tracks charge $10 entry for unlimited laps whenever the karts aren't running. they don't have any jumps obviously, but it's still a hell of a deal

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I'd love to get into racing but it just requires such a huge commitment. I don't have the money for a dedicated trackbike, a way to haul it, the entry fees, hotel fees (or camping gear), fuel, enormous amount of rubber, and the time constraints. I literally don't know how you can work a normal 9-5 job and race at the same time, it doesn't seem possible, unless you live right around the corner from a bunch of tracks. I live in Connecticut and my options are Loudon (3.5 hours away) or New Jersey Motorsports Park (4.5 hours away).

It seems like you're either born into a racing family or you're hosed and can't get into it until much later in life when you actually have the means to compete, and by then you're too old to be competitive.

The fastest guys in the AFM could run up in the top 10 in AMA. Most of them are in their 30s or even their 40s. The idea that as a racer you hit your peak at 25 or whatever is BS, experience is way more valuable than youth. The guys who are seriously fast are those who at 20 already have drat near 2 decades of experience. And those are the guys you see at the world level...but at the national level, the grid's a lot older, because most people didn't get to start at 3 years old, and you pretty much need at least a decade of riding experience (ideally, racing experience) to win your first race. There are exceptions, but the general rule that you'll see is that the guys out there who are winning have decades of experience and the age to match it.

When it comes to the financial side of things, you can do it the cheap way or you can do it the expensive way, honestly.

The cheap way is: Small displacement, racing vintage or superdino, or 250P. Out here, you can rent a 250 from Brian Bartlow's Feel Like a Pro for 3500$ for the entire season. (7 races). You're also looking at around 1500$ in entry/practice fees. The advantage of that is you don't need to worry about anything, just show up at the track and you're taken care of. I know a guy who is racing a GS500, he's all in on the bike for around 1400$. I'll be all in on my bike for around 3200$, and with a better rider, I'm sure it'd be podium capable in production.

The big advantage of the guys racing small, lightweight bikes is that they save on tires. And spares are cheap. I bet that by watching my budget carefully and not caring too much about being super competitive, I could probably buy 2 ninja 250, have them race prepped and ready to go for under $1500 total, and race for a season for under 4k, all in. But I want to race a 600 because I'd love to qualify for a national grid one day...

Sumo is cheaper but nothing compares to roadracing, honestly.

And you can easily burn 20k building an R6 or 10k building a sumo...it all depends on what your priorities are...

shacked up with Brenda
Mar 8, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

The solution is race dirt.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

VTNewb posted:

The solution is race dirt.

I'll probably end up doing some dirt racing of some sort in the next year, but there's nothing like winding up a 600/1000 with your knee on the ground at 100mph...dirt has it's own challenges and appeals, but when it comes down to it, it just doesn't tick the speed box.

2ndclasscitizen
Jan 2, 2009

by Y Kant Ozma Post

Z3n posted:

The fastest guys in the AFM could run up in the top 10 in AMA. Most of them are in their 30s or even their 40s. The idea that as a racer you hit your peak at 25 or whatever is BS, experience is way more valuable than youth. The guys who are seriously fast are those who at 20 already have drat near 2 decades of experience. And those are the guys you see at the world level...but at the national level, the grid's a lot older, because most people didn't get to start at 3 years old, and you pretty much need at least a decade of riding experience (ideally, racing experience) to win your first race. There are exceptions, but the general rule that you'll see is that the guys out there who are winning have decades of experience and the age to match it.

Just to reinforce this point, Troy Bayliss is 41 (39 when he won his last championship, and didn't start to race nationally until 26), Troy Corser is 39 (34 when he won his last championship) and Nitro is 35.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

And most are presumably rich as gently caress

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Christoff posted:

And most are presumably rich as gently caress

Bayliss wasn't. Bought a Ninja off the show room on credit and started racing it basically with the lights unplugged and mirrors taken off.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Spiffness posted:

Bayliss wasn't. Bought a Ninja off the show room on credit and started racing it basically with the lights unplugged and mirrors taken off.

Do you have a link to this story?

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Look for the documentary 'the tornado ,the doctor and the kentucky kid'

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

BlackMK4 posted:

Do you have a link to this story?

http://www.superbikeplanet.com/bayliss_2000_a.htm

Bayliss is probably my favorite racer, just for how unlikely he is. You can also stream the Troy Bayliss Story on Netflix, if you've got it. He's also got a book out that I need to get.

Spiff, is bayliss even in DTK? I thought it was about Rossi/Hayden/Edwards, I havent seen it in ages though.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

poo poo, I think you are right.

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Z3n posted:

You can also stream the Troy Bayliss Story on Netflix, if you've got it.

Just did this. Jesus, all his achievements read like one of those meme generators. lose pole with 4 minutes left, "I'll give it another go" - take back pole. Crash twice in one race - still take 5th. "too old to sponsor" - takes 3 SBK titles.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

I know, I'm a dork. But this is a great back protector and for $3 or so why not get the KTM one?

I had to get this, also

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

That keychain is the best

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

Spiffness posted:

That keychain is the second best, after the Racing Toaster

Fixed that for ya.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

TheDon01 posted:

Fixed that for ya.

Can't get that in the US :(

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It makes GIANT TOAST.

Also, I may have some stupid KTM branded poo poo on the way to my home now, no thanks to this thread.

Z3n, you might as well start laughing now.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I'll wait on mockery until you try and get a girl to wear the KTM bra.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Z3n posted:

I'll wait on mockery until you try and get a girl to wear the KTM bra.

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED REDACTED

(KTM Bra is not a real thing :saddowns:)

FlerpNerpin fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Dec 7, 2010

mutt2jeff
Oct 2, 2004
The one, the only....

Spiffness posted:

CHALLENGE ACCEPTED REDACTED

(KTM Bra is not a real thing :saddowns:)

Wanna bet?

KTM Coconut Bra!

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Damnit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiQZG03mBvA

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

That looks so fun. Also, I think it solves the foot out debate. And jesus. Those guys are power sliding/drifting/backing it in every corner. I just don't understand how you do it on a bike. Just all that weight ready to just slide out. I mean in a car there's no risk of falling over so it's easy. How the hell do you know the "give out" point? Must be a fine line. drat.

-edit Also

I emailed motostrano about the new AFX FX-37. They said it's in the works but all they know so far is it's called the fx-39. I'm excited. Hopefully they improve on everything everyone bitched about and the price doesn't go up *too* much. Right now they're on clearance for like $100. I'd still probably spend upwards of $175 on it.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Dec 7, 2010

TheDon01
Mar 8, 2009

As long as you maintain front wheel traction and stay on the gas you should be fine sliding around like that.

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

TheDon01 posted:

As long as you maintain front wheel traction and stay on the gas you should be fine sliding around like that.

Backing it in is accomplished under braking with the throttle closed. If we're talking about sliding on corner exit, then what TheDon01 said is correct.

I would hate to see the crash when someone tries to back it in thinking the method is lock up the rear brake, then gas the poo poo out of it.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Zool posted:

I would hate to see the crash when someone tries to back it in thinking the method is lock up the rear brake, then gas the poo poo out of it.

I disagree. Please do this immediately, capture video and post results.

ReggieCelsius
Feb 1, 2007

snortsly
hey guys,
this is my new bike.. 0kms on the odometer
Kawasaki KLX250SF

how should I run her in? :)

Vork!Vork!Vork!
Apr 2, 2008

vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!vork!

ReggieCelsius posted:

hey guys,
Kawasaki KLX250SF

I really like the looks of these bikes, especially with the blue rims. I got to find a klx 250 to test ride.

You know how to run that bike, do it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ohwandernearer
Jul 15, 2009

ReggieCelsius posted:

hey guys,
Kawasaki KLX250SF

That is hot. How would that compare to drz 400 in terms of handling/power/fun? Can that be a wheelie monster?

• Locked thread