Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Jadz posted:

I love cheeky, romanticized plots about thieves and robbers. "Heist", "The Italian Job" (both the original and the remake), the "Ocean's" movies, "The Thomas Crown Affair" and "After the Sunset" are some of my favorite movies, among a few others.

I'd love a list of similar movies involving likeable criminals in plots about stealing stuff and getting away with it :)

how to steal a million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Stuck in the middle with you.

Voodoofly posted:

Sneakers isn't the best film, but it is definitely romanticized with likable criminals.

It also has Robert Redford. And Sidney Poitier. And David Strathairn. And Ben Kingsley. And River Phoenix. And Dan Aykroyd. And James Earl Jones. And Mary McDonnell.

And Stephen Tobolowsky.

I always meant to watch that, and never got around to it, Thanks for the reminder :)

FitFortDanga posted:

how to steal a million

Never heard of that, I'll look it up thanks.

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR

oceanside posted:

What are some slick action films with high body count? I'm talking movies like those John Woo, Chan-wook Park and Johnny To make. Western films that I'd say fit the bill are films like The Transporter and its sequels, the French film Banlieue 13 and its sequel and more recently, films like The Expendables and Machete.

Not exactly what you described but the body count reminded me of an advertising gimmick when Shogun Assassin was marketed in the states. A cold angry man with a sword and a baby boy travels while being hunted by assassins; cutting them all in half.

I'm looking for any older gritty vigilante films similar to Death Wish, and I've already seen most of the similar deals starring Bronson.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE
Jul 9, 2010

Jadz posted:

I love cheeky, romanticized plots about thieves and robbers. "Heist", "The Italian Job" (both the original and the remake), the "Ocean's" movies, "The Thomas Crown Affair" and "After the Sunset" are some of my favorite movies, among a few others.

I'd love a list of similar movies involving likeable criminals in plots about stealing stuff and getting away with it :)

It's about conmen, not thieves, but "The Brothers Bloom" seems like something you might like, too.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Jadz posted:

Foolproof is pretty good.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qndVGGsM4
The Hard Word and Layer Cake, although I don't know how 'likeable' the protags are.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Does anybody know any horror movies that focus on like, a dark occult underbelly of the world? Where its set in the normal world, but there's a lot of darkness going on underneath. I recently watched Lord of Illusions and completely loved it, and I suppose Hellraiser is almost in the same vein. So is Midnight Meat Train. Clive Barker seems to be the common denominator between those movies, so anything with similar themes that he uses.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

Fonzarelli posted:

Does anybody know any horror movies that focus on like, a dark occult underbelly of the world? Where its set in the normal world, but there's a lot of darkness going on underneath. I recently watched Lord of Illusions and completely loved it, and I suppose Hellraiser is almost in the same vein. So is Midnight Meat Train. Clive Barker seems to be the common denominator between those movies, so anything with similar themes that he uses.
It got a lot of poo poo, mostly for the horrible casting of the protagonist, but Constantine has a lot of really great qualities, and has everything you want in it.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

It got a lot of poo poo, mostly for the horrible casting of the protagonist, but Constantine has a lot of really great qualities, and has everything you want in it.

I'll check it out. I'm just going to have to pretend that its not actually about the Constantine from the comics, because my god he could not be further from him.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Binary Logic posted:

Foolproof is pretty good.
Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3qndVGGsM4
The Hard Word and Layer Cake, although I don't know how 'likeable' the protags are.

JR ANTI SEX LEAGUE posted:

It's about conmen, not thieves, but "The Brothers Bloom" seems like something you might like, too.

Skwirl posted:

The Sting is what immediately comes to mind. Jean-Pierre Melville directed a bunch of French films with likeable criminals, though they often don't get away at the end.

These all look awesome, and I'm going to watch them. Thanks :)

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Fun Shoe

Fonzarelli posted:

I'll check it out. I'm just going to have to pretend that its not actually about the Constantine from the comics, because my god he could not be further from him.
The way I get some enjoyment out of it is to think of him as Jack Constantine, John's American cousin. Peter Stormare and Tilda Swinton are pretty good in the movie.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Fonzarelli posted:

If you haven't seen Nightbreed, also by Clive Barker, you should definitely check it out. I'd say it takes the "dark occult underbelly of the world" themes to their farthest natural conclusion. I remember hearing Clive Barker say he wanted it to be "the Star Wars of horror movies." Also, it features David Cronenberg in one of the lead acting roles, and he's loving awesome.

Nightwatch, that Russian vampire movie, was kinda like this too. It was... okay. Not as good as any of the aforementioned movies, but had a lot of interesting stuff about it.

edit: Suspiria and Inferno by Dario Argento kinda qualify too; lots of 'occult conspiracy' stuff in those two. Either way, Suspiria is a must-see for any horror fan.

Also, From Beyond, the H.P. Lovecraft adaptation by Stuart Gordon, comes to mind, but perhaps in a different way.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Dec 2, 2010

Discount Viscount
Jul 9, 2010

FIND THE FISH!

Jadz posted:

The Sting is great, as already mentioned.

The Great Train Robbery (the Michael Crichton one, not the old silent film) is also a lot of fun. Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland, and a Victorian innuendo dialogue that manages to remain pretty subtle until the word "erect" is used.

DAMN NIGGA
Aug 15, 2008

by Lowtax
Can you guys recommend some movies like Garden State(guilty pleasure), Swingers, Adventureland,basically movies about dating and relationships.Comedy/depressing,also none earlier than 1995.

Binowru
Feb 15, 2007

I never set out to be weird. It was always other people who called me weird.

drat NIGGA posted:

Can you guys recommend some movies like Garden State(guilty pleasure), Swingers, Adventureland,basically movies about dating and relationships.Comedy/depressing,also none earlier than 1995.

Chasing Amy, 500 Days of Summer, and Forgetting Sarah Marshall are three I can think of off the top of my head.

Jadz
Jan 8, 2004

Discount Viscount posted:

The Sting is great, as already mentioned.

The Great Train Robbery (the Michael Crichton one, not the old silent film) is also a lot of fun. Sean Connery, Donald Sutherland, and a Victorian innuendo dialogue that manages to remain pretty subtle until the word "erect" is used.

:swoon: LOVE Sean Connery, I'll definitely check this one out. Thanks!

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

drat NIGGA posted:

In addition to the above ones, try Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, Wristcutters: A Love Story (a virtually-unknown gem that's available on Netflix Instant), and for a little bit earlier than 1995, Singles and Say Anything (both by Cameron Crowe) deserve a chance. If you liked Garden State, you may want to try the more depressing Last Kiss, also starring Zach Braff.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

drat NIGGA posted:

Yeah dating and relationships were totally loving stupid until 1995.

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

Big Bad Voodoo Lou posted:

Wristcutters: A Love Story (a virtually-unknown gem that's available on Netflix Instant),

Just posting in support of this.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

drat NIGGA posted:

Try Mr. Jealousy and Greenberg, both by Noah Baumbach.

InfiniteZero
Sep 11, 2004

PINK GUITAR FIRE ROBOT

College Slice

Fonzarelli posted:

Every year I end up recommending El Dia de la Bestia (aka Day of the Beast) somehow, so here you go. It deals with the imminent arrival of the anti-christ and a priest trying to prevent it from happening. The way he tries to prevent it is rather novel though -- he figures that if he impresses Satan enough, he'll be let in on the plans, so he starts committing as many sins as possible. Since the priest isn't exactly up on evil though, he enlists the help of a big metal fan (assuming that metal fans are evil) to help him commit evil and hopefully prevent bad poo poo from happening in the end. It's a horror comedy but really covers what you're talking about.

Along the same lines, but played entirely seriously check out Messiah of Evil, which I go into in detail in the recommendation hyperthread.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3312981&userid=63579#post379275180

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP
Can someone recommend me good movies with deaf characters? I have to watch as many as I can as research for a project. I watched Children of a Lesser God, and it had its moments, but mostly it was a chore. I'm looking for some with a more engaging story and better script, like In The Company Of Men.

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

codyclarke posted:

Can someone recommend me good movies with deaf characters? I have to watch as many as I can as research for a project. I watched Children of a Lesser God, and it had its moments, but mostly it was a chore. I'm looking for some with a more engaging story and better script, like In The Company Of Men.

Have you seen the documentary Sound and Fury?

Voodoofly
Jul 3, 2002

Some days even my lucky rocket ship underpants don't help

FitFortDanga posted:

If you can, try to catch the follow up piece as well. I don't know if it was a PBS special (like the Hoop Dreams follow up) or something else, but it was pretty cool and was sort of redreshing to see where the people ended up after the film.

Spoiler: Not being deaf myself, I feel bad entering the debate about implants and losing identity with the culture, but a cousin (of some sort)'s child is deaf. Just watching the issues they have had with his malnutrition from lack of appetite/taste sense, among other problems with him socializing with other kids, I've always sort of been on the "gently caress culture go implant" side of the debate. The followup made me feel better about it.

codyclarke
Jan 10, 2006

IDIOT SOUP

FitFortDanga posted:

Not yet, but I'll bump that to the top of list! And I'll try and find the follow-up doc if I can.

codyclarke fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Dec 3, 2010

DiscoJ
Jun 23, 2003

codyclarke posted:

One of the storylines in Babel features a deaf character though I'm not sure the portrayal was the most believable..

CheckedNoMate
Oct 25, 2010
Hey, can anyone recommend me a crime film in which the protagonist has to balance 'the job' with family, and the emphasis is on this clash of worlds? Something like The Sopranos, really.

JohnnyDavidson
May 13, 2010

I think Beauty and the Beast should have ended on this scene, because I don't understand symbolism in film and I am literally incapable of recognizing foreshadowing.
What is a good Hitler documentary?

Skribblez
Dec 31, 2008

B^Ulky

Fonzarelli posted:

Check out Society.

Also, there's nothing that can prepare you for the last 20 minutes of this movie.

UNRULY_HOUSEGUEST
Jul 19, 2006

mea culpa

CheckedNoMate posted:

Hey, can anyone recommend me a crime film in which the protagonist has to balance 'the job' with family, and the emphasis is on this clash of worlds? Something like The Sopranos, really.

Hmm, I'm not familiar with any film that managed to do quite what The Sopranos did, mainly because films don't lend themselves enough time to have the protagonist's families factor in much. I do have a couple of rough suggestions though: there's the very twisted A History Of Violence, from David Cronenberg, where a small-town husband and father (played by the brilliant Viggo Mortensen) is targeted by old mob associates from his former life. Prizzi's Honor is a good dark comedy starring Jack Nicholson and Angelica Huston about a veteran mafioso trying to settle down. Mean Streets, Scorsese's first film of acclaim, has Harvey Keitel as an aspiring mafioso who is trying to balance his life between his mobbed-up uncle, his immature small-time hoodlum friends (most notably Robert DeNiro, in his breakout role), his girlfriend and his Catholic faith. I would argue all of those have the clash of worlds between the demands of criminal life and more familiar, domestic relationships at the forefront of the narrative.

There's also, to run through the obvious, nearly every Michael Mann film, but for all the time he spends with criminals' significant others I don't feel his films place them anywhere beyond the sidelines of the plot in terms of importance or narrative drive.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

CheckedNoMate posted:

A Bronx Tale

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
I just got through watching Suspiria; I think I have a new favorite horror film. I'll probably move on to Argento's other work next, but as long as I'm here - can anyone recommend me other horror films where the conflict takes place entirely or almost entirely between female characters? I really liked the distance between Suspiria and the traditional monster / slasher film gender dynamics, and I'd like to see if it's been realized anywhere else.

(For the record, I've already seen Aliens.) :v:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I just got through watching Suspiria; I think I have a new favorite horror film. I'll probably move on to Argento's other work next, but as long as I'm here - can anyone recommend me other horror films where the conflict takes place entirely or almost entirely between female characters? I really liked the distance between Suspiria and the traditional monster / slasher film gender dynamics, and I'd like to see if it's been realized anywhere else.

(For the record, I've already seen Aliens.) :v:

The Descent is exactly what you're talking about. The Ginger Snaps movies also touch on a lot of gender issues, but the quality is kind of spotty.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

morestuff posted:

The Descent is exactly what you're talking about. The Ginger Snaps movies also touch on a lot of gender issues, but the quality is kind of spotty.

I've seen The Descent, although I hear there are two endings depending on where it was released. Haven't seen Ginger Snaps, though, and I love cheesy werewolf movies (Company of Wolves is a favorite) so I'll look into that!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I've seen The Descent, although I hear there are two endings depending on where it was released. Haven't seen Ginger Snaps, though, and I love cheesy werewolf movies (Company of Wolves is a favorite) so I'll look into that!

Yeah, when it was brought to North America they trimmed the ending so it wasn't so bleak. The DVD I watched a year or two ago had the original bleak ending.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Silent Hill is another good example of this, as is The Uninvited.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Silent Hill is another good example of this, as is The Uninvited.

Wait, what are the two different Silent Hill endings? I saw it on DVD and the ending it had was fairly depressing, but I really liked it. The person I watched it with hated the ending, though.

I actually think that movie in general is pretty drat underrated, but I think I'm the only one.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

LtKenFrankenstein posted:

Wait, what are the two different Silent Hill endings? I saw it on DVD and the ending it had was fairly depressing, but I really liked it. The person I watched it with hated the ending, though.

I actually think that movie in general is pretty drat underrated, but I think I'm the only one.

I didn't like the confusing exposition dump in the third act or the constant cutaways to Sean Bean's character that slowed everything down, but the movie did an outstanding job of creating an atmosphere of creeping doom and dread. I think someone on this board a long time ago said the movie perfectly captured what they always thought hell would look like, and that isn't far off from what I thought. I haven't played any of the Silent Hill games, though.

Skribblez
Dec 31, 2008

B^Ulky
This might be too specific, but can anybody recommend some horror movies that take place in American city slums? I watched Candyman recently, and the setting was creepier than any cave/forest/haunted house I've ever seen.

I've already seen Leprechaun in the Hood, by the way.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Skribblez posted:

This might be too specific, but can anybody recommend some horror movies that take place in American city slums? I watched Candyman recently, and the setting was creepier than any cave/forest/haunted house I've ever seen.

I've already seen Leprechaun in the Hood, by the way.

I haven't seen it yet, so I can't speak to the quality, but Wolfen is set in the South Bronx.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

penismightier
Dec 6, 2005

What the hell, I'll just eat some trash.

Wolfen's decent. It's got Edward James Olmos and I'm pretty sure it's where Predator got the idea for their heat-vision POV shots from.

• Locked thread