Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zerstorung
Jun 27, 2008
I'm looking for an interesting read that analyzes modern American youth/college social culture as it relates to such topics as the rise of reality TV, the "gangsta" mindset, and PUA practices. It doesn't have to cover those specific topics, but that's the ballpark of what I'm looking for. Mid-range to upper reading level would be preferred, and while I'd rather read nonfiction, I can be convinced to read a really good work of fiction that gives an equivalent level of insight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

7 y.o. bitch
Mar 24, 2009

:derp:

Name 7 yob
Age 55 years young
Posts OVER 9000 XD
Title BOOK BARN SUPERSTAR
Motto Might I quote the incomparable Frederick Douglas? To wit: :drum:ONE TWO THREE TIMES TWO TO THE SIX/JONESING FOR YOUR FIX OF THAT LIMP BIZKIT MIX:drum:XD

Zerstorung posted:

I'm looking for an interesting read that analyzes modern American youth/college social culture as it relates to such topics as the rise of reality TV, the "gangsta" mindset, and PUA practices. It doesn't have to cover those specific topics, but that's the ballpark of what I'm looking for. Mid-range to upper reading level would be preferred, and while I'd rather read nonfiction, I can be convinced to read a really good work of fiction that gives an equivalent level of insight.

You probably don't need to read a book on this (I doubt it even exists?). Instead, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4OatIhPg9Y

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

7 y.o. bitch posted:

You probably don't need to read a book on this (I doubt it even exists?). Instead, just watch this video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4OatIhPg9Y

:911:

So I really enjoyed the books lord of light and Siddhartha, are there any books you guys can recommend that explore similar themes and ideas?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
I have just finished reading a collection of Isaac Asimov's short stories and am looking for something in the same category. I cannot stomach too much sci fi in long form but I love it when I can pick up a book and read 4 or 5 cool short stories per night.

And I'm not looking for stories that are all robots and pew pew and evil lord and all, I happen to like Asimov's approach which is more philosophical.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Mahoning posted:

I have just finished reading a collection of Isaac Asimov's short stories and am looking for something in the same category. I cannot stomach too much sci fi in long form but I love it when I can pick up a book and read 4 or 5 cool short stories per night.

And I'm not looking for stories that are all robots and pew pew and evil lord and all, I happen to like Asimov's approach which is more philosophical.

Larry Niven's shorts might be a good place to go next. But if you really like Asimove there are something like 400 anthologies of Asimov stories out there, so you've got plenty of reading still do do with him.

More generally, if you want a broader sci-fi recommendation, get The Science Fiction Hall of Fame, Volume 1.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

ChirpChirpCheep posted:

I'm looking for a nonfiction book that is lighthearted and full of facts, but geared towards college age males- kind of like if Bill Bryson was part of a fraternity. I'd like to avoid anything too ponderous and to keep it on the "pop" side of things- Mental Floss is a perfect example of what I'm looking for in terms of tone, but I don't know if it is quite "guyish" enough. If they had a history of MMA I'd be set, but as is I'm asking you guys for help in choosing a book for my impossible to shop for brother.

Be Ready When the poo poo Goes Down by Forrest Griffin, UFC champion. it's a little bit Jackass, a little bit Bear Grylls, and will most likely be very appealing for a bro-type who isn't a big reader. it's much more humorous than practical and can be read in fits and starts.

Adaline
Nov 18, 2010

The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tost to me
Anyone know any good book on dreams? Like the science of dreaming and such?

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
Based on some recommendations I got a while back from here I just read "The Mote in God's Eye" and really enjoyed it. I really liked the sense of discovery around an alien culture, not to mention the excellent job they did in creating a believable future using "hard" science facts.

Any recommendations for something along those lines? Special emphasis on exploring something alien or something that takes time to get ones mind around.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Lockback posted:

Based on some recommendations I got a while back from here I just read "The Mote in God's Eye" and really enjoyed it. I really liked the sense of discovery around an alien culture, not to mention the excellent job they did in creating a believable future using "hard" science facts.

Any recommendations for something along those lines? Special emphasis on exploring something alien or something that takes time to get ones mind around.

Blindsight by Peter Watts is a recent horror/HARD-sci-fi combo (seriously, the science aspects are very heavy and it helps if you know a lot of biology!) which is incredibly good. It's about the discovery of a weird object just outside our solar system, and a small 5-man crew who go to investigate. It also has (and I'm quite serious about this) vampires. You may be a little :psyduck: at that part but trust me, it's very well done and makes scientific sense in the context of the book. It's one of the most terrifying books I've read in ages. And the big reveal, about what exactly it is they find, is quite a mindblowing scientific idea that does indeed take some serious thinking to get your mind around.

Basically I can't recommend it enough. You can get it for free at his website as an ebook: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm but I read it in physical form, which i think was better edited for textual errors.

edit: also you just reminded me i got The Mote In God's Eye second hand a while back but haven't read it yet. I should get on that!

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING
There's been one thing in common and not much else in the books that I've been reading lately: They all explore, with varying degrees of seriousness, a weird subculture in some manner. I've read Hackers by Steven Levy, The Game and Emergency by Neil Strauss, Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander, Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon by this site's own Zack Parsons, and am just starting Otaku: Japan's Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma and Junky by William S. Burroughs. I'm looking to continue this trend, but I'd especially like good relatively serious non-fiction that deals not only with a subculture as it existed/currently exists but with the context in which it first arose. Bonus points for books on music-related subcultures.

Flaggy
Jul 6, 2007

Grandpa Cthulu needs his napping chair

Grimey Drawer

Falls Down Stairs posted:

There's been one thing in common and not much else in the books that I've been reading lately: They all explore, with varying degrees of seriousness, a weird subculture in some manner. I've read Hackers by Steven Levy, The Game and Emergency by Neil Strauss, Stuff White People Like by Christian Lander, Your Next-Door Neighbor is a Dragon by this site's own Zack Parsons, and am just starting Otaku: Japan's Database Animals by Hiroki Azuma and Junky by William S. Burroughs. I'm looking to continue this trend, but I'd especially like good relatively serious non-fiction that deals not only with a subculture as it existed/currently exists but with the context in which it first arose. Bonus points for books on music-related subcultures.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life

This was a great read that explores some of the best bands from 81-91 that had relatively little mainstream success but were crucial in establishing today's alternative and indie bands. Especially bands like Nirvana back in the 90's when everyone was saying that Nirvana was creating a new sound in music, it shows that it was actually used years earlier. I hope this is what you meant. There are other great music books out there and I am trying to remember them for you. Also if you like punk like I do I also read this and found it entertaining.

Please Kill Me

http://www.amazon.com/Please-Kill-Me-Uncensored-Evergreen/dp/0802142648/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Some gaming ones I have read that are also excellent. I have never played pen and papers RPG's but these deal with the rise of the gaming industry with a personal twist. Both great reads. I think they really hit on the subculture of what you were looking for.

The Elfish Gene http://www.amazon.com/Elfish-Gene-Dungeons-Dragons-Growing/dp/1569475229
Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Freaks-Gaming-Geeks-Imaginary/dp/1599219948/ref=pd_sim_b_1

Flaggy fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Dec 9, 2010

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Hedrigall posted:

Blindsight by Peter Watts is a recent horror/HARD-sci-fi combo (seriously, the science aspects are very heavy and it helps if you know a lot of biology!) which is incredibly good. It's about the discovery of a weird object just outside our solar system, and a small 5-man crew who go to investigate. It also has (and I'm quite serious about this) vampires. You may be a little :psyduck: at that part but trust me, it's very well done and makes scientific sense in the context of the book. It's one of the most terrifying books I've read in ages. And the big reveal, about what exactly it is they find, is quite a mindblowing scientific idea that does indeed take some serious thinking to get your mind around.

Basically I can't recommend it enough. You can get it for free at his website as an ebook: http://www.rifters.com/real/Blindsight.htm but I read it in physical form, which i think was better edited for textual errors.

edit: also you just reminded me i got The Mote In God's Eye second hand a while back but haven't read it yet. I should get on that!

Ok you convinced me. And you are totally right, I did download the ebook but have been putting off reading it literally because of the vampire thing. Its nice to hear there's a strong biology component to it. I'll start it tonight.

And yes, read The Mote in God's Eye. In some respects, it might be the best sci-fi book I ever read.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Can anybody recommend a translation of de Tocqueville's Democracy In America? I'm leaning towards Penguin's, but I've heard there's better options.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

don't have any musical recommendations, but i will second The Elfish Gene and add (teach me how to)Dougie Brimson's March of the Hooligans: Soccer's Bloody Fraternity

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

I'm looking to continue this trend, but I'd especially like good relatively serious non-fiction that deals not only with a subculture as it existed/currently exists but with the context in which it first arose. Bonus points for books on music-related subcultures.

Have you read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets?
http://www.amazon.com/Homicide-Killing-Streets-David-Simon/dp/0805080759

The subculture is homicide investigation in one of the deadliest cities in the US. Its extremely well written, and you really put the book down feeling like you went through what David Simon did. It doesn't really explore the rise and fall, more like the cycle everything follows...

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007

American Hardcore by Stephen Blush maybe? It's an oral history of what became the alternative scene (although I don't think anybody called it that at the time). I thought it was a nice complement to Azerrad's book, which charts the entire scene over a little more then a decade.

Alvie
May 22, 2008

yarrmatey posted:

A History of the World In 6 Glasses is pretty entertaining. It reads a bit like Salt: A World History, but for drinks (alcoholic and non-alcoholic).

Thanks a lot, man. That looks like exactly the book I was hoping for.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time
I'm after some new noir type stories along the lines of Dennis Lehane and the TV show Terriers. Stories about modern days private investigators. I love/have read most stories by James Ellroy, Lehane, Hammet, Chandler, Charlie Huston, Andrew Vachss, Ross MacDonald, Jim Thompson etc..

Give me something new TBB!

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Grawl posted:

I'm looking for books about people who are/were addicted to hard drugs, like heroin, LSD etc. I'm really interested in what they have to say about it.

Quoting myself, hoping for an answer.

Falls Down Stairs
Nov 2, 2008

IT KEEPS HAPPENING

Flaggy posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Our_Band_Could_Be_Your_Life

This was a great read that explores some of the best bands from 81-91 that had relatively little mainstream success but were crucial in establishing today's alternative and indie bands. Especially bands like Nirvana back in the 90's when everyone was saying that Nirvana was creating a new sound in music, it shows that it was actually used years earlier. I hope this is what you meant. There are other great music books out there and I am trying to remember them for you. Also if you like punk like I do I also read this and found it entertaining.

Please Kill Me

http://www.amazon.com/Please-Kill-Me-Uncensored-Evergreen/dp/0802142648/ref=pd_bxgy_b_img_b

Some gaming ones I have read that are also excellent. I have never played pen and papers RPG's but these deal with the rise of the gaming industry with a personal twist. Both great reads. I think they really hit on the subculture of what you were looking for.

The Elfish Gene http://www.amazon.com/Elfish-Gene-Dungeons-Dragons-Growing/dp/1569475229
Fantasy Freaks and Gaming Geeks: An Epic Quest for Reality Among Role Players, Online Gamers, and Other Dwellers of Imaginary Realms http://www.amazon.com/Fantasy-Freaks-Gaming-Geeks-Imaginary/dp/1599219948/ref=pd_sim_b_1

funkybottoms posted:

don't have any musical recommendations, but i will second The Elfish Gene and add (teach me how to)Dougie Brimson's March of the Hooligans: Soccer's Bloody Fraternity

Lockback posted:

Have you read Homicide: A Year on the Killing Streets?
http://www.amazon.com/Homicide-Killing-Streets-David-Simon/dp/0805080759

The subculture is homicide investigation in one of the deadliest cities in the US. Its extremely well written, and you really put the book down feeling like you went through what David Simon did. It doesn't really explore the rise and fall, more like the cycle everything follows...

barkingclam posted:

American Hardcore by Stephen Blush maybe? It's an oral history of what became the alternative scene (although I don't think anybody called it that at the time). I thought it was a nice complement to Azerrad's book, which charts the entire scene over a little more then a decade.

Wow, thanks guys. All these look great; that should keep me busy during the Winter break.

Encryptic
May 3, 2007

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

I'm after some new noir type stories along the lines of Dennis Lehane and the TV show Terriers. Stories about modern days private investigators. I love/have read most stories by James Ellroy, Lehane, Hammet, Chandler, Charlie Huston, Andrew Vachss, Ross MacDonald, Jim Thompson etc..

James Crumley - Same way with words that Chandler has, but with a certain countrified style. The Last Good Kiss is definitely one of his best, but anything by him I've read is generally a good read. Burning through one of the only books by him that I haven't read yet (Bordersnakes) right now.

Ken Bruen - Love this guy ever since I checked him out a couple years ago. Irish crime writer who's written a shitload of stuff, most of which is excellent. I'd definitely recommend the Jack Taylor series - it's about an Irish ex-cop turned private detective in Galway, Ireland. Start with The Guards, then there's about 5-6 more books in the series to date.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

not the kind of stuff i usually get into, but i've really enjoyed what i've read of Don Winslow, who was actually a PI before he started writing. his Neal Carey series fits the modern PI requirement nicely. this year's Savages is also fantastic and made it on my (and Stephen King's) best-of list.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

Izzy Mandelbaum posted:

I'll assume you've read the big names of second-wave hardboiled (Richard Stark, Lawrence Block's Scudder series, Max Allan Collins, etc). Maybe you've never read Patricia Highsmith -- you'd like her Ripley series. Among newer writers, everything Michael Connelly has written is good, the Harry Bosch series especially; Adrian McKinty is probably someone you've never heard of -- his Michael Forsythe series is excellent, as is his standalone "Fifty Grand"; Michael Van Rooy's Montgomery Haaviko mixes hardboiled elements with humour, done right. David Levien's Frank Behr books. Christopher G. Moore's and John Burdett's detective novels set in Thailand (Vincent Calvino and Sonchai Jitpleecheep series, respectively) are both good. Switch by Grant McKenzie. Jan Van De Wetering's Amsterdam cops series. Tom Rob Smith's detective novels set it Soviet Russia. That's enough for now.

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005
I'm looking for some really well written but unbiased biographies on presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Reagan. I'm trying to stitch together some kind of coherent picture for modern society, and I figure that will help.

Any suggestions?

a bunch of ants
Jan 21, 2009

Wanna be professional criminals with me?

Grawl posted:

Quoting myself, hoping for an answer.

Trainspotting by Irvine Welsh, it is pretty good read although you have to get past the fact that large portions of it are written phonetically to portray their thick Scottish accents.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Rommel1896 posted:

I'm looking for some really well written but unbiased biographies on presidents Kennedy, Johnson, Nixon and Reagan. I'm trying to stitch together some kind of coherent picture for modern society, and I figure that will help.

Any suggestions?

Rick Perlstein's Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America is not really a biography (although it covers most of his life in some detail) so much as an attempt to show how his style of politics came to characterize the way all politics functions since the 60s. It doesn't focus on Nixon -- there is a lot of cultural background and analysis -- and may be a good way to start to get a comprehensive picture of the USA in the late twentieth century.

Psamtik I
Sep 30, 2005

dokmo posted:

Rick Perlstein's Nixonland: The Rise of a President and the Fracturing of America is not really a biography (although it covers most of his life in some detail) so much as an attempt to show how his style of politics came to characterize the way all politics functions since the 60s. It doesn't focus on Nixon -- there is a lot of cultural background and analysis -- and may be a good way to start to get a comprehensive picture of the USA in the late twentieth century.

Thank you, but I already have this book. I don't really like it, as Perlstein seems to get lost in the chaos of the 60's. He just began listing one random event after another, without really tying them together to form a clear picture. I guess I'm looking for something with a little more structure.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be the case that there IS no larger structure, and American history since the 60's is just a bunch of stuff that happened. That would be ... unsatisfying.

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010
I'm just about done with The Decline and Fall of the British Empire and it's really gotten me interested in the whole 'age of imperialism' type of thing. Can anybody recommend any books--not just history, but I'm also interested in fiction, biographies or really anything. I'm mostly interested in the British Empire, but if anyone knows any good books on other colonies I would be curious to get suggestions on those as well.

I've already read
Diamonds, Gold, and War
King Leopold's Ghost

and probably others, but those are the most recent.

I've heard "Burmese Days" is really good on the fiction front, and "The Great Game" for non-fiction. I'm also planning to grab a copy of "The Lost City of Z". I would also be interested to read authors who are more pro-imperialist (maybe Kipling?), as well. Any other recommendations?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
For Kipling on british imperialism, grab his short story collection "Plain Tales from the Hills," and for a kid's book on the Great Game, grab Kipling's Kim. I'd also recommend Orwell's On Shooting an Elephant.

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

Rommel1896 posted:

Thank you, but I already have this book. I don't really like it, as Perlstein seems to get lost in the chaos of the 60's. He just began listing one random event after another, without really tying them together to form a clear picture. I guess I'm looking for something with a little more structure.

Alternatively, I suppose it could be the case that there IS no larger structure, and American history since the 60's is just a bunch of stuff that happened. That would be ... unsatisfying.

Ah, okay. I don't really have a lot of late twentieth century stuff, and pretty much stay away from attempts systematizing history (nothing against it, just not my thing).

Dopilsya
Apr 3, 2010

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

For Kipling on british imperialism, grab his short story collection "Plain Tales from the Hills," and for a kid's book on the Great Game, grab Kipling's Kim. I'd also recommend Orwell's On Shooting an Elephant.

Thanks for the recommendations, I've actually never read anything by Kipling, so I'll definitely be sure to check that out.

I realise I was fairly vague, so to be a little more specific--in terms of history I'm looking for good, accessible histories of the various colonies (not so much England herself) and important events. Biographies I'm kind of looking for ones of the larger than life type of characters; Lawrence of Arabia, Sir Richard Burton, those kinds of guys. In terms of fiction, I'm looking for ones that have the sort of zeitgeist and romanticism of the golden age of empire, if that makes sense. I can go with the sort of ponderous political tomes if I have to, but, in everything, I'm especially interested in stories of all the crazy escapades and hijinks that people got up to when they were out on the fringes of the Empire.

Sniffits
Dec 13, 2010
Does anyone know of any good, neutral fictional accounts of world war 2 from "enemies"? Example, the war from a Nazi soldiers point of view or a Japanese soldiers point of view but with the authorial intent being historical and not biased. I'll also accept any history account having to do with Nanking. Please, historically sound accounts only.

Other than that, uh, any good new fantasy writers I should know about?

Mr Darcy
Feb 8, 2006

Sniffits posted:

Does anyone know of any good, neutral fictional accounts of world war 2 from "enemies"? Example, the war from a Nazi soldiers point of view or a Japanese soldiers point of view but with the authorial intent being historical and not biased. I'll also accept any history account having to do with Nanking. Please, historically sound accounts only.

Other than that, uh, any good new fantasy writers I should know about?

Das Boot from the top of my head for the German POV.

Also The Forgotten Soldier. I found it a well written account of a soldier on the Eastern Front, it's basically an autobiography of a French boy conscripted into the German army. It has been accused of inaccuracies* and being fictional hence why I've included it here. The author stated he was trying to convey the experience of his war rather than the total accuracy of it.

*Badges on the wrong arm level of inaccuracy as opposed to "Germans win Kursk" level of inaccuracy.

Underflow
Apr 4, 2008

EGOMET MIHI IGNOSCO

Mr Darcy posted:

Also The Forgotten Soldier. I found it a well written account of a soldier on the Eastern Front, it's basically an autobiography of a French boy conscripted into the German army. It has been accused of inaccuracies* and being fictional hence why I've included it here. The author stated he was trying to convey the experience of his war rather than the total accuracy of it.

*Badges on the wrong arm level of inaccuracy as opposed to "Germans win Kursk" level of inaccuracy.

I think it was later established that some or all of the small descriptive details that seemed off could well have been accurate under the circumstances, and that a few - again, minor - interpretations were almost certainly due to the author's very poor command of German. The most vocal critics were former armed forces bigwigs who didn't like to see their old outfits described in a less than heroic way. Author's name is Guy Sajer, btw. And iirc: he volunteered, german mother and alsatian father or something like that.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

I'm looking to get a copy of Lolita for my Kindle, but the annotated edition isn't available in eBook form. Do the annotations really make that much of a difference, or can I go with the vanilla version?

QVT
Jul 22, 2007

standing at the punch table swallowing punch

bobservo posted:

I'm looking to get a copy of Lolita for my Kindle, but the annotated edition isn't available in eBook form. Do the annotations really make that much of a difference, or can I go with the vanilla version?

The standard line is to read the normal version first, otherwise you'll have the entire book spoiled for you in the second annotation, as well as most of Nabokov's other books. You'll be fine.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Dopilsya posted:

.....I'm especially interested in stories of all the crazy escapades and hijinks that people got up to when they were out on the fringes of the Empire.

David Mitchell's The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet is the best thing i've read this year.

barkingclam
Jun 20, 2007
Seconding Mitchell's Thousand Autumns - it's a good novel set in the fading days of the Dutch empire.

You might also want to check out Multatuli's Max Havelaar. It's a novel about one man fighting a corrupt government in Java, then a Dutch colony. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've heard good things.

Izzy Mandelbaum
Dec 5, 2006

It's go time

Encryptic posted:

James Crumley - Same way with words that Chandler has, but with a certain countrified style. The Last Good Kiss is definitely one of his best, but anything by him I've read is generally a good read. Burning through one of the only books by him that I haven't read yet (Bordersnakes) right now.

Ken Bruen - Love this guy ever since I checked him out a couple years ago. Irish crime writer who's written a shitload of stuff, most of which is excellent. I'd definitely recommend the Jack Taylor series - it's about an Irish ex-cop turned private detective in Galway, Ireland. Start with The Guards, then there's about 5-6 more books in the series to date.

dokmo posted:

I'll assume you've read the big names of second-wave hardboiled (Richard Stark, Lawrence Block's Scudder series, Max Allan Collins, etc). Maybe you've never read Patricia Highsmith -- you'd like her Ripley series. Among newer writers, everything Michael Connelly has written is good, the Harry Bosch series especially; Adrian McKinty is probably someone you've never heard of -- his Michael Forsythe series is excellent, as is his standalone "Fifty Grand"; Michael Van Rooy's Montgomery Haaviko mixes hardboiled elements with humour, done right. David Levien's Frank Behr books. Christopher G. Moore's and John Burdett's detective novels set in Thailand (Vincent Calvino and Sonchai Jitpleecheep series, respectively) are both good. Switch by Grant McKenzie. Jan Van De Wetering's Amsterdam cops series. Tom Rob Smith's detective novels set it Soviet Russia. That's enough for now.

funkybottoms posted:

not the kind of stuff i usually get into, but i've really enjoyed what i've read of Don Winslow, who was actually a PI before he started writing. his Neal Carey series fits the modern PI requirement nicely. this year's Savages is also fantastic and made it on my (and Stephen King's) best-of list.

This is exactly what I wanted. My Amazon shopping list just got significantly larger. Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

inktvis
Dec 11, 2005

What is ridiculous about human beings, Doctor, is actually their total incapacity to be ridiculous.

barkingclam posted:

You might also want to check out Multatuli's Max Havelaar. It's a novel about one man fighting a corrupt government in Java, then a Dutch colony. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I've heard good things.

Max Havelaar is so much better than it sounds on the face of it. Even the framing story, before he gets around to Java, has one of the great characters in Dutch literature.