Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wasianchickn
Sep 4, 2006

welp
e: Whoops wrong thread here too, huh.

wasianchickn fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Dec 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crowbear
Jun 17, 2009

You freak me out, man!
e: wrong thread.

No Safe Word
Feb 26, 2005

Oodles of Wootles posted:

Usually it's in a goal line situation with the tackle lined up as a TE

That's how you get Mike Vrabel, stud TE

I still don't get why people don't cover him more on those goalline situations where he comes in. 10-for-10, 10 TDs

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger
What does a general manager do?

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Doppelganger posted:

What does a general manager do?

Depends on the team, really.

In San Diego, AJ Smith, the GM, has complete and autonomous control over football operations. He makes all the personnel decisions (Who to offer contracts to, who to release, any trades, etc)

He's also in full control of any and all scouting and drafting. He's in charge of basically everything that relates to the Chargers as a football team, while president Dean Spanos handles everything else.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Hilariously bad and easy questions, but this is my first year being into the NFL and first time ever being into sports at all.

1) What does "an x possession game" actually mean? Is the possession margin determined by a set number like 7 or 8 points? Or is it just strictly the minimum number of possessions the losing team needs to tie or win?

2) Why do I see players riding exercise bikes on the sidelines? The only thing I can come up with is that it's for bringing heart rates either up or down.

And a statement: I've never been into sports, so I'm completely surprised at how much I'm into the NFL now. I had no idea the complexity and athleticism that went into this sport. Becoming an NFL fan and putting some sort of sports fan into my life makes me feel like I've really missed out. (I'm 28.)

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

-Dethstryk- posted:

1) What does "an x possession game" actually mean? Is the possession margin determined by a set number like 7 or 8 points? Or is it just strictly the minimum number of possessions the losing team needs to tie or win?

You have the right idea- it's just another way of saying "an x-score game". It means that the team in question needs, at best, x possessions to win or tie. So for example, if a team is down by 10 late it's a two-possession game as they need to get the ball twice to get back in the game, scoring a touchdown on one and a TD or FG on the other.

-Dethstryk- posted:

2) Why do I see players riding exercise bikes on the sidelines? The only thing I can come up with is that it's for bringing heart rates either up or down.

I would assume to keep loose, either for guys that are mildly injured or players who are just out for a bit. Sitting down for a long time and then suddenly getting up and going on the field is a good way to pull something.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

-Dethstryk- posted:

Multiples of 8 since that's the maximum you can score in one possession. So a one possession game is a 1-8 point lead, a two possession game is a 9-16 point lead, a three possession game is a 17-24 point lead, and pretty much after that it's a blowout and nobody cares.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

-Dethstryk- posted:

Exercise bikes are actually used way more at practice or during a players time getting treatment and doing rehab in the training room, but as C-Euro said it's mainly for an injured player with minor sprains/strains to loosen up, work out swelling in a joint etc. Players, especially backs who split carries, will also hop on to stay warm while their unit is off the field.

Bikes at practice are used more as part of the treatment plan for the players who aren't cleared for contact or heavy running. Players will spend some time warming up and working on the bike and doing whatever specific exercises the strength coach or athletic trainers might have them perform dependent on the nature of their injury and what periods of practice they can't participate in. Usually injured guys will do a rehab type workout during positional drills which are mostly physical periods, and then stand by and observe the group periods which are mostly mental periods for the coaches to go over gameplan adjustments and team periods for repping plays.

Also for the guys who are really gimpy they might be used while the rest of the team is conditioning.

-Dethstryk-
Oct 20, 2000
Thanks for those answers. I didn't even think about those reasons for the bikes, and that makes way more sense than what I was thinking.

adisca
May 6, 2003

Young Turks
Can anybody give any jersey buying advice? Are the NFLshop ones really worth the price?

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
https://www.tarajersey.com

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

adisca posted:

Can anybody give any jersey buying advice? Are the NFLshop ones really worth the price?

https://www.tarajersey.com

https://www.yukijersey.com

Both will get you 'authentics' (fake but extremely convincing, much better than the $90 official replica jerseys) for $38.00 shipped.

e; I went seaching for the old Coupons thread and apparently these kinds of sites are getting shut down by feds?

Kind of a lovely thing to move the thread to the Gas Chamber though. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2911318&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=36

Dramatika fucked around with this message at 17:37 on Dec 9, 2010

adisca
May 6, 2003

Young Turks
Awesome, many thanks!

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

One thing I hear people talk about sometimes is how good of a route runner somebody is. How do people gauge this? It's not like we can look up the playbook or anything.

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

DEHUMANIZE  YOURSELF  &  FACE  TO  BLACULA
You can tell by watching them. There really aren't that many routes in the NFL, there's like what, 11? 15? They have different names on different teams, but it's pretty basic stuff.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Also, how crisply they make cuts and how well they fake out the backs. A good route-runner will know how to juke the safety to get a step on him, being more open then more often.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Additionally, a lot of routes in the NFL or NCAA are option or choice routes which depend on the receiver reading the coverage of the defense, if they're in zone and what type of zone, or man and adjusting his route accordingly.

1 route might be run differently against cover 2 or cover 3 because the receiver is trying to find the empty space in the zone.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

Doppelganger posted:

One thing I hear people talk about sometimes is how good of a route runner somebody is. How do people gauge this? It's not like we can look up the playbook or anything.

Most of the time people are just regurgitating what [a talking head/internet guru/person who has an opionion they like] said.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

tk posted:

Most of the time people are just regurgitating what [a talking head/internet guru/person who has an opionion they like] said.

This applies to almost everything. I listen to the local sports station on my way home from work and it's hilarious to hear how often the guys at work literally parrot the exact same things from the night before. It's like they're taking notes or something.

Bashez
Jul 19, 2004

:10bux:

Doppelganger posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3324645&pagenumber=3&perpage=40#post379329100

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Doppelganger posted:

The way "route runner" is used in analysis usually refers to field awareness and the sharpness of cuts and routes more than replicating the arrow on the playbook. Those are definitely things you can see without knowing the playbook, especially on the isolation replays.

Side note: you'd actually be pretty surprised about what's rather freely available in terms of playbooks.

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe
Speaking of which, can anyone post a link to that giant database of old playbooks? I never played football, so reading how it lays out literally everything was really interesting to me.

Groucho Marxist
Dec 9, 2005

Do you smell what The Mauk is cooking?
I don't know if these are the ones you're referring to, but here's a shitload of playbooks

http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/prodefense/index.php
http://fastandfuriousfootball.com/prooffense/index.php

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

tk posted:

OK, I have a question along these lines:

During the last draft, Skins fans were going wild about wanting Trent Williams, and EVERYONE, even casual viewers, were mentioning that he is smaller and more agile, which makes him ideal for Shanahan's zone blocking scheme.

I bought it, because I don't know that much about offensive line schemes. Today I was reading a book by an SI writer (can't remember the name) and he stated that the ZBS became popular in the late 80s/early 90s for the opposite reason: offensive lineman had become so big and massive that man-blocking techniques such as trapping, pulling, and taking angles had become difficult for them, so the ZBS became more vogue as it solved these problems.

Who is right?

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

Wait, so the zone blocking was for the big guys? That's wrong. I think the reason it became popular was that no one was doing it - that is, teams weren't preparing for it, they were preparing for mauling each other up front. Zone blocking is run with those smaller, more agile guards, and I'm sure it exploits a big, fat defense that's set up to stop a power game.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Groucho Marxist posted:

I don't know if these are the ones you're referring to, but here's a shitload of playbooks

Jesus, I thought my personal library was huge and there's easily triple that on here (including the college and HS ones not linked). Mostly different stuff too.

Thanks!

Oodles of Wootles
Nov 8, 2008

safe

Groucho Marxist posted:

It wasn't, but thanks! The one I was talking about had a bunch of college playbooks, too

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!
Zone blocking relies on double teaming on the defensive line up to the backers, and the skills to perform this effectively are near identical to the ones required for guards to pull effectively, so I'd question anyone who claims zone blocking was developed because linemen couldn't pull/trap anymore. This sounds fairly ridiculous.

e:And most pro offenses don't rely on one blocking scheme for the entirety of their run game. Zone blocking is really just part of an offensive scheme, not a solution for big fat lineman.

e2:This also sounds ridiculous for the reason that offensive linemen now are bigger than they have ever been, and many (if not all) teams still employ man blocking schemes, pull linemen and trap etc. Teams would be unable to run screen plays if the linemen were all too big and unathletic to block in the open field. None of that makes much sense. In fact I'd say it sounds completely wrong.

McKracken fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Dec 10, 2010

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
Hmm, alright. The book is called Blood, Sweat & Chalk: The Ultimate Football Playbook: How the Great Coaches Built Today's Game. There is a whole chapter dedicated to ZBS, and from what I remember his two main points were a) that ZBS has been around since the 50s, and is nothing new and b) the whole big OL thing I already mentioned.

The first review on Amazon states that the author, Tim Layden, is a retard and knows nothing, so I guess he was wrong.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

I flipped through that book at a brick and mortar store and it was pretty bad.

McKracken
Jun 17, 2005

Lets go for a run!

Pron on VHS posted:

There is a whole chapter dedicated to ZBS, and from what I remember his two main points were a) that ZBS has been around since the 50s, and is nothing new and b) the whole big OL thing I already mentioned.

Most aspects of modern football have origins dating back to the 50's or even earlier, so it's possible that concepts of zone blocking have been around since then (I don't know that much about the evolution of the game from that period of time since I haven't read much about that specifically and it predates my existence by a good 35 years) but the zone blocking schemes that are currently implemented are not done so out of reaction to change in OL abilities (that is a really puzzling line of reasoning), but because it's an alternative method for opening running lanes as opposed to the type of blocking you see out of a typical power running game, everybody man on blocking with a kickout.

If anything, athletic/smaller linemen would be more suitable for running a pure zone scheme because you have to be able to disengage from the double team and get to a backer at the second level or higher. This is easier if you are faster and more agile for obvious reasons.

When I have time I'll see if I can grab some play diagrams from the link that was just posted and compare the blocking schemes in zone plays to other running plays.

Yanni Estacado
May 3, 2007

by T. Mascis

jeffersonlives posted:

I flipped through that book at a brick and mortar store and it was pretty bad.

Is there a good author/book/series of books about x's and o's that i could find at a brick & mortar store?

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing
Yeah the zone is run best by smaller linemen who can pull, Denver's O-Lines under Shanahan were all zone and they had small linemen who excelled at pulling and cut blocking.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Cane Break posted:

Is there a good author/book/series of books about x's and o's that i could find at a brick & mortar store?

I've seen books like the AFCA manuals and Coach of the Year clinic stuff show up at bookstores, hit and miss of course. Pat Kirwan put out a book a few months ago in a similar vein to the Layden book that is supposedly a lot better, but I haven't had a chance to look at it.

sc0tty
Jan 8, 2005

too kewell for school..
Just an FYI, i'll be going through and updating the original post with all the awesome information everyone has posted at the end of the season.

It's been hard going following the NFL from Australia (the Texans aren't exactly helping!), but I've enjoyed the season and have learnt a lot. Also about to take first place in my fantasy league.

Doppelganger
Oct 11, 2002

I was wondering if I'd asked that before.

OperaMouse
Oct 30, 2010

I have some questions about communication.

How many plays, audibles, and coaching signals are players supposed to know?
Does it depend on the position?
What exactly does the QB say just before the play: just some code words, or the full plan?
How often do codes and audibles change?
How often does a playbook change and the plays a player is supposed to know?
If they do, is it to adapt to the opponent, or is to prevent "espionage"?

How much is said over the radio head sets? Who has a receiver in his helmet? Is it possible to eavesdrop on those?

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

OperaMouse posted:

I have some questions about communication.

What exactly does the QB say just before the play: just some code words, or the full plan?

How much is said over the radio head sets? Who has a receiver in his helmet? Is it possible to eavesdrop on those?

I don't know about the rest, but regarding radios - one person on field for each team has a radio. It's always the QB for offense, and I'm pretty sure it's generally the MLB on defense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blackula69
Apr 1, 2007

OperaMouse posted:

This depends a lot on the scheme, the coach, and the players. There are some basics across the league, but everything is determined by personnel.

Example: The West Coast offense (short passing, timing routes, efficiency) is full of crazy jargon that changes depending on the situation: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZC_eGHB1jA

But for others, who don't have the football mind of Matt Hasselbeck, there is a much more limited playbook with simpler calls and audibles. For a rookie, there might be two or three different audibles at the line of scrimmage based on the defensive alignment, but for a more advanced QB they can change much of, if not the entire, play.

And it definitely depends on the position. WRs will usually just listen for their instructions and whether it's a run - sometimes you'll see them leave the huddle before the other guys - and the offensive line needs to pay attention to both the call and the protection audibles that are given out by the centre once they're lined up (when he points at the defense and stuff).

I feel like I'm not explaining this very well.

• Locked thread