Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

withak posted:

There was an interview with Jeff Bezos a while back where he said that they consider the Kindle device and the ebooks themselves to be completely separate markets. They want to sell you hardware if they can but they are also happy to sell you books to read on someone else's hardware.
Yeah, it's a similar view to Amazon willing to allow third parties to sell through Amazon.com, up to and including the "fulfillment" stuff where the third parties are storing their inventory in Amazon.com warehouses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.
And I just saw something about Borders buying out B&N, with specific mention of the eBook stuff :psyduck:

This mentions the buy out, but not necessarily eBook stuff (just mentions Kindle)

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2010-12-06/borders-holder-pershing-square-offers-to-finance-barnes-noble-takeover.html

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

I am really curious how the Google ebooks thing will pan out, seems like these kinds of ventures have not been wildly successful from them in the past.

I'm also curious to see what changes are on the horizon for the Kindles, seems like lack of ePub support is starting to become more of an issue.

8-bit Miniboss
May 24, 2005

CORPO COPS CAME FOR MY :filez:
So in short, Kindle owners are pretty much assed out for using Google eBooks?

Why no ePub Amazon? :negative:

Edit:

[wishfulthinking]
1. Verify your E-Ink device is supported

Google eBooks can be downloaded onto all eReader devices that run Adobe Digital Editions. (Note: Google eBooks are not currently compatible with the Kindle).

Some common supported devices include: Aluratek Libre, Astak EZ Reader, BeBook, Bookeen, COOL-ER, Elonex eBook, HanLin eBook, IREX Digital Reader, Neolux Nuut, and more. Supported readers are listed on this page.
[/wishfulthinking]

8-bit Miniboss fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
The problem is that even if Amazon adds native epub support it would still only be useful for DRM-free books until Adobe gives Amazon access to their DRM system (this will never happen). Stanza on iPhone has been able to read epubs natively forever but still can't read most Adobe-made ebooks because of the DRM.

withak fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 6, 2010

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

I think you're going to start seeing people breaking ebook drm as a thing that everyone will be doing, but news outlets and other companies will just pretend it doesn't exist and refuse to acknowledge it.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

8-bit Miniboss posted:

So in short, Kindle owners are pretty much assed out for using Google eBooks?

Why no ePub Amazon? :negative:

It's trivial to break the DRM and convert it to a mobi file.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.

withak posted:

The problem is that even if Amazon adds native epub support it would still only be useful for DRM-free books until Adobe gives Amazon access to their DRM system (this will never happen). Stanza on iPhone has been able to read epubs natively forever but still can't read most Adobe-made ebooks because of the DRM.

I thought Adobe was trying to establish its eBook DRM as the industry standard and that it was mostly Amazon who didn't want the competition from eBook stores that used Adobe DRM.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

withak posted:

The problem is that even if Amazon adds native epub support it would still only be useful for DRM-free books until Adobe gives Amazon access to their DRM system (this will never happen).

Why do you think it will never happen? All amazon has to do is license it and they can add support. Amazon just doesn't want to do that because they would rather people buy books off of Amazon through wispernet than buy them in other places and side load them.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Mr.Radar posted:

I thought Adobe was trying to establish its eBook DRM as the industry standard and that it was mostly Amazon who didn't want the competition from eBook stores that used Adobe DRM.

Yeah I phrased that wrong. I meant that Amazon was pretty unlikely to want to pay to license a competing ebook store on their own hardware.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

bull3964 posted:

Why do you think it will never happen? All amazon has to do is license it and they can add support. Amazon just doesn't want to do that because they would rather people buy books off of Amazon through wispernet than buy them in other places and side load them.

You can buy books from Mobipocket retailers over Amazon 3g direct to your Kindle in most cases as long as you find your correct DRM ID for your device. No sideload necessary.

Of course, Amazon owning Mobipocket means they get the money from providing the DRM in the first place.

Daric
Dec 23, 2007

Shawn:
Do you really want to know my process?

Lassiter:
Absolutely.

Shawn:
Well it starts with a holla! and ends with a Creamsicle.
Any update on the Nook Color root? I'm getting mine for Christmas and I'd like a one-button root.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Maneki Neko posted:

I am really curious how the Google ebooks thing will pan out, seems like these kinds of ventures have not been wildly successful from them in the past.

I'm also curious to see what changes are on the horizon for the Kindles, seems like lack of ePub support is starting to become more of an issue.

Google Docs I would classify as fairly successful and definitely useful so far, and that's a very similar concept. Personally Amazon already provides the same features that Google offers (syncing via multiple devices), I'm already using it and it works better because its native. Have I missed any big feature that Google is offering here?

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Duckman2008 posted:

Google Docs I would classify as fairly successful and definitely useful so far, and that's a very similar concept. Personally Amazon already provides the same features that Google offers (syncing via multiple devices), I'm already using it and it works better because its native. Have I missed any big feature that Google is offering here?

I meant that they haven't been wildly successful at selling things to consumers via a store, and I was primarily thinking of Google Video.

Google Docs (and the other Google apps) are certainly useful, but a different model.

Radbot
Aug 12, 2009
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!

Daric posted:

Any update on the Nook Color root? I'm getting mine for Christmas and I'd like a one-button root.

In addition to this, is a rooted Nook Color actually usable as an everyday tablet or is it more of a fun oddity? I have enough technological sophistication to root it but I'd really rather not have to gently caress with the settings every day like I did with my OSx86 netbook (as Apple updates routinely broke .kexts and the like).

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Re: Borders

pienipple posted:

Exclusively Kobo now.

Incorrect.

Here's a list of all the readers Borders is selling

Apologies if this has been addressed already.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Also, Border's add-on warranty covers accidental damage. If you drop your Sony/Kobo/whatever in the pool they'll replace it with a new or refurbished one. That warranty also transfers to a new device if you upgrade during the warranty period (two years). And is transferable to other persons if you sell it or give it away or whatever.

I feel like corporate tool right now. A gigantic corporate tool.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Was getting frustrated with the clunky controls for adding things to collections on the Kindle itself, found Kindelabra. Simple and does what it says much easier, although it didn't add one book to a collection the first time I tried it (user error). "Very beta", but worth a look.

Kindelabra can be found here.

Other options, including "automatic" collection creation based on calibre metadata or Kindle file structure, can be found here (bottom of page).

Last link also compiles links to all the major Kindle Hacks and may be useful in the op, with some kind of "you might break your kindle stupid (but not really)" disclaimer.

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 23, 2010

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Archos is determined to have the worst naming convention in the history of technology, creates "70b eReader"

quote:

Specs include 802.11b/g WiFi, a USB jack, stereo speakers, an SD card reader, and support for Adobe Digital Editions DRM making it compatible with the Google eBookstore launched yesterday. And because the 70b eReader is built around what looks like a 7-inch color LCD, it also support video and image playback in full color.
Well at least it supports Adobe DRM.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

As seen in the tablet thread, I'm not a huge Archos fan.

But do we know anything about this devices pricing yet?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Cardboard Box A posted:

Archos is determined to have the worst naming convention in the history of technology, creates "70b eReader"

Sorry, Bookeen Cybook is by far the worst. Every time I see it written I think it says "Broken Cybook." Somebody in this thread posted "I have a bookeen cybook" and I seriously thought "No wonder it's broken, I've never even heard of the thing" before re-reading it.

edit: Jesus, that thing needs a pinhole button press for a hardware restart. My piece of poo poo generic ebook reader just froze up on the subway, let me dig out a paperclip

Ara fucked around with this message at 11:44 on Dec 7, 2010

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Is there a way to buy foreign language eBooks for devices we have here in the US? I'd love to get an eBook reader for my wife for Christmas since she reads voraciously, but I'm not sure if there would be a way to buy books in Japanese.

The catch is that there'd have to be a decent selection - she reads mostly horror, mystery, and suspense - and she reads like 5-10 books a week when she can get them. The ideal situation would be getting a kindle here and buy Japanese ebooks from amazon.jp. Is that possible?

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

Anyone know where I could pick up a few more refurbished nooks for cheap? I bought a couple on ebay before they sold out, and a couple more on Overstock.com, they're popular gifts this year and my mom wants a couple more. Not having any luck finding them though.

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

The Aphasian posted:

My Kindle's been freezing and/or rebooting itself fairly regularly. Thought I had a bad unit, but apparently it's the official leather (nonlighted) case that may be the culprit.

I'm going to try it with it off and see if I keep having the issue, but considering--if that is the problem--that it's been shorting out repeatedly for three days, I may exchange it anyway.

Anyone else have issues?

Oh hey I think my girlfriend might be having this problem, her kindle keeps freezing and losing what page she was on. I told her to remove the case and we'll see how it works after that.

Circle Nine
Mar 1, 2009

But that’s how it is when you start wanting to have things. Now, I just look at them, and when I go away I carry them in my head. Then my hands are always free, because I don’t have to carry a suitcase.

Kaboobi posted:

Oh hey I think my girlfriend might be having this problem, her kindle keeps freezing and losing what page she was on. I told her to remove the case and we'll see how it works after that.

I was thinking of buying an official lighted case for my kindle, are there any problems that are known with that one? :ohdear:

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Kaboobi posted:

If it is that, just email customer support and link to the amazon discussion I posted.

I now have this one: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0042AM7JQ/ref=oss_product

Here's another alternative, comes with extra cables, screen protector, wristband (???):
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004289Z5W/ref=oss_product

Circle Nine posted:

I was thinking of buying an official lighted case for my kindle, are there any problems that are known with that one? :ohdear:

I have seen some reports of this in my questionably useful internet research, but fewer than the unlit cover, which itself seems to be rare. So it's probably worth a gamble if you really like it, and you'll be forewarned in the rare case where you have issues.

EDIT: Separate topic, but didn't want to double post my way into probation land.

Amazon now has Kindle for the Web, which enables you to read book samples and previews in-browser. I'm hoping they expand it to allow you to read complete books you have purchased to compete with Google Books, but that's just blind optimism.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html?ie=UTF8&docId=1000579091&tag=gmgamzn-20

The Aphasian fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 7, 2010

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/12/users-can-now-read-sell-full-kindle-books-online.ars

Amazon is apparently about to light up Kindle for Web, which gives you full access to you library through any web browser. That article makes it sound like it is live but it doesn't appear to be yet. This is probably in response to Google's ebook thing.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

withak posted:

http://arstechnica.com/web/news/2010/12/users-can-now-read-sell-full-kindle-books-online.ars

Amazon is apparently about to light up Kindle for Web, which gives you full access to you library through any web browser. That article makes it sound like it is live but it doesn't appear to be yet. This is probably in response to Google's ebook thing.
I'm sure they've been working on it for much longer than the 2 days since this was announced. I think google just managed to beat them to the punch.

So, does anyone know what the terms for licensing adobe digital editions DRM are? I mean, if any old ODM POS reader can do it but kindle can't it surely can't be for technical reasons.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Probably Amazon doesn't want another store on there.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Fuzzykinz posted:

As seen in the tablet thread, I'm not a huge Archos fan.

But do we know anything about this devices pricing yet?
No, nothing at all.

Ara posted:

Sorry, Bookeen Cybook is by far the worst. Every time I see it written I think it says "Broken Cybook." Somebody in this thread posted "I have a bookeen cybook" and I seriously thought "No wonder it's broken, I've never even heard of the thing" before re-reading it.
I meant the worst naming convention across their entire product line, not the worst single product name.

Archos has:

Archos 7 (several models in fact)
Archos 7 Home Tablet
Archos 70
Archos 70b eReader

Thanks for not confusing your customers Archos!

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Doctor Zero posted:

Is there a way to buy foreign language eBooks for devices we have here in the US? I'd love to get an eBook reader for my wife for Christmas since she reads voraciously, but I'm not sure if there would be a way to buy books in Japanese.

The catch is that there'd have to be a decent selection - she reads mostly horror, mystery, and suspense - and she reads like 5-10 books a week when she can get them. The ideal situation would be getting a kindle here and buy Japanese ebooks from amazon.jp. Is that possible?

Amazon.co.jp does not appear to sell ebooks. I know someone earlier in the thread mentioned japanese ebooks have some weird formats, so a kindle is probably not going to be a good choice for her.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name

Doctor Zero posted:

Japan doesn't really do ebooks yet. As others have mentioned - though maybe it was in a different thread - Japanese publishing companies are even more scared of and reluctant to change than western ones.

It's stupid, too, because for a culture so obsessed with new toys and technology, and that reads so drat much, ebooks would probably be an absolutely massive market over here.

You might have better luck with manga, but then you'd be better off getting something like an iPad.

Hantama
Dec 6, 2008

z0331 posted:

Japan doesn't really do ebooks yet. As others have mentioned - though maybe it was in a different thread - Japanese publishing companies are even more scared of and reluctant to change than western ones.

It's stupid, too, because for a culture so obsessed with new toys and technology, and that reads so drat much, ebooks would probably be an absolutely massive market over here.

Seconding this. If you want to mainly read japanese books electronically, you should just wait it out. Once the first big japanese publisher tries it out and sees how much money there is to get, the others will slowly follow, but for now there is not much. There are some more obscure sites that sell japanese books in even more obscure formats that don`t convert very well, if at all. Not worth buying a Kindle or any other ereader atm.
I will buy a second Ereader for the wife as soon as japanese books start popping up in larger quantities because the second that will happe I wont see mine ever again ;)

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Doctor Zero posted:

Like the other guy said, the few ebooks that ARE available from Japanese publishers are sold as XMDF files which currently can't be converted to real ebook formats and can only be read with (as far as I know) one or two Windows programs. The pages where they sell them all say that they require Windows.

You can get a lot of old stuff at 青空文庫, and if you want those in 縦書き then you can convert them to a Kindle-formatted PDF with this page. That page also has a tool where you paste in your own text, so if you can actually find Japanese ebooks in a convertible format somewhere then you can use that to read them vertically. Works with furigana, too.

But yeah, the major problem is actually finding the books. It really is a shame.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Bah. Okay, thanks. That would explain why I can't find much info on it. Guess I'll just wait for them to catch up and keep paying shipping. :argh:

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

I'm planning on buying an eReader very soon, but I can't pick which one. I was going to buy the Nook, but they won't ship to Canada. I was thinking about getting the Kindle, but the lack of ePub support is sort of stopping me from buying it.

Does anyone know anything about this one:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/E_Readers_PDAs_Handheld_Gadgets/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4429805#Overview

It seems like a good deal, but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

Magnificent Quiver
May 8, 2003

Freeze posted:

I'm planning on buying an eReader very soon, but I can't pick which one. I was going to buy the Nook, but they won't ship to Canada. I was thinking about getting the Kindle, but the lack of ePub support is sort of stopping me from buying it.

Does anyone know anything about this one:

http://accessories.dell.com/sna/products/E_Readers_PDAs_Handheld_Gadgets/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=dhs&cs=cadhs1&sku=A4429805#Overview

It seems like a good deal, but I can't find any reviews anywhere.

If you've got the budget/desire for a Nook or Kindle why would you consider a $100 eReader with an LCD screen that doesn't have any reviews

Calibre will handle any format conversions with ePub, although DRM can make things tricky.

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

Magnificent Quiver posted:

If you've got the budget/desire for a Nook or Kindle why would you consider a $100 eReader with an LCD screen that doesn't have any reviews

Calibre will handle any format conversions with ePub, although DRM can make things tricky.

Well it's like $40 difference, and I can't get the Nook (which is what I really wanted) anyways. On top of that, the Kindle's current estimated shipping date to Canada is in late January.

So will Calibre let me convert books I buy from anywhere to the Kindle format? And does it do good conversions? I was reading somewhere about how some ebook conversion programs just convert the book to a lovely PDF file that's annoying to read.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Freeze posted:

Well it's like $40 difference, and I can't get the Nook (which is what I really wanted) anyways. On top of that, the Kindle's current estimated shipping date to Canada is in late January.

So will Calibre let me convert books I buy from anywhere to the Kindle format? And does it do good conversions? I was reading somewhere about how some ebook conversion programs just convert the book to a lovely PDF file that's annoying to read.

IF you have a guy in the US buy a Kindle for you and then ship it you could have a Kindle by next week. Yes calibre will convert just about anything but to be honest there's almost nothing that you'd only be able to find outside the Amazon store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

madprocess posted:

IF you have a guy in the US buy a Kindle for you and then ship it you could have a Kindle by next week. Yes calibre will convert just about anything but to be honest there's almost nothing that you'd only be able to find outside the Amazon store.

My library lets you borrow eBooks for free, and their site says that they're compatible with essentially everything except the Kindle (format is Adobe EPUB). Calibre sounds like it provides free, easy, high-quality conversions though, so that solves my main problem with the Kindle.

Thanks for the help.