Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nerdmann
Sep 21, 2007
Edited for table breakage...sorry.

This is the shelter dog I am currently fostering, Riley. she is listed as a hound mix, but I am seeing a GSD/Beagle mix, what do you think? She's sniffed everything in the house a million times, eaten lots of stink bugs off the floor and despite the beagle background doesn't bark. She does jump on people pretty much constantly, but I think we can train her out of that pretty easily. These are the best pics i could get because she never sits still, and won't let me use my regular camera so these are crappy phone pics. In fact she is pacing the whole house right now.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Nerdmann fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 14, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SvK
Feb 20, 2010

Here is my Fiancée's dog Lucy that she rescued right when we started dating. These pictures were taken when was between 1-2 and she is now around 3 and 1/2 but she hasn't changed at all really since they have been taken.

We are not really clear on the details but we do know she was abused and removed from her former owner. My Fiancée said the shelter mentioned she had some chow in her (tail). I am guessing by her personality and face that she has some pit in her as well. She has short orange hair that is visible in the pictures but also a lot less long black hairs throughout her coat which is interesting.

She essentially sleeps all day, goes crazy when myself or Fiancée gets home for 3-5min and then goes back to sleep. She loves water/snow/riding in a car which is a change as most dogs I have had in the past hated all of those things.

Gets along with all people very well, is indifferent to other dogs most of the time (if one tries to take one of her toys she will attack).

Anyway I am pretty sure she is a Pit/Chow mix but let me know if anyone has some other thoughts.

[edit] forgot to add 4th picture

[/edit]

SvK fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Oct 16, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
Ahahaha look at that curly tail. :3:

I'd guess a lab/pit/spitz mix too.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Just got Angus's DNA horoscope back! Any last guesses before I reveal the awful truth?

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Octofoot
Jul 16, 2008

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Just got Angus's DNA horoscope back! Any last guesses before I reveal the awful truth?

Maine coon, or a purebred toupee.

Twinty Zuleps
May 10, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
Anyone got a guess what Lee is?

a life less
Jul 12, 2009

We are healthy only to the extent that our ideas are humane.

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Shih tzu and silky terrier?

Wulfolme posted:

Anyone got a guess what Lee is?

He's an Australian Shepherd -- he might be an Aussie mix, or he might be a not terribly well bred purebred. My guess is the latter.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!

a life less posted:

Shih tzu and silky terrier?

Yow, half right (of the half that got identified at all)! They say shih tzu and short-haired dachshund. Each of those are "minor" (~25%) contributors. I suspect the rest of him is Tribble and toupee, yes.

Uncle Salty
Jan 19, 2008
BOYS
Angus is a cutie; and whatever Lee is, I want eight of them. THAT FACE. THAT COAT.

Peace Fire
Nov 28, 2010
I'm so happy I found this thread, I've always wondered what Boo was!

I got Boo in August of 2009. For his age we've been given everything from 10 months to 5 years, so when asked I say he's 3 now. At the shelter he was listed as a "poodle mix" and he has some marking on his back that make me think he might be spaniel. However, his last groomer thought he was bichon and not poodle so he gave him a bischon cut (which I hated so I shaved him). Anyway, here are his pics:

Long Furred:

Short Furred:

Non-Camera Phone Shot:

ETA: I wanted to add that he has a deceptively deep bark for his size/appearance. He's sent UPS people running down the stairs when I go to open the door because they expect this huge dog to suddenly pounce them and laugh when they see it's a little white fuzzy thing. And he also howls when you leave him alone. You can hear him in the driveway sometimes and my roommates have reported that when he's howling they will try to calm him and get him to stop and he just ignores them and keeps howling like he's in a trance. Do bichons, poodles, or spaniels howl like that?

Peace Fire fucked around with this message at 01:33 on Dec 5, 2010

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars
I think when most dogs howl you can hear them at a distance. That's the reason for the howl, after all. We can hear Pazuzu from the inside of the car in the driveway when he howls. Yours looks like it might be a cocker/poodle mix, maybe.

Doctor Awesome
Oct 20, 2004

You will know us by the trail of Dorito crumbs.
xpost from the bully breed thread. Bourbon, my 3 year old pit lab (I think) mix.

As a little pup. I think this was his second day home from the Humane Society:

Here he is when he was about a year old hanging out with his best bud at the time, my sister's king charles spaniel Isabelle:

And about to execute a trademark pit bull vicious attack on a human:

And last year with my roommate's dog, Catfish:

That last picture was taken at the impromptu photoshoot for this project:

Here he is after a long day of hiking with his best bud in the world, Porter:

And finally, this was about a week ago:

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

WereJace posted:

I think when most dogs howl you can hear them at a distance. That's the reason for the howl, after all. We can hear Pazuzu from the inside of the car in the driveway when he howls. Yours looks like it might be a cocker/poodle mix, maybe.

Heh. Angus "howls" at sirens, but really he just adopts the appropriate pose and makes an 'o' with his lips. Sometimes just at the end, there's this dying grunt sort of noise. It's too cute really.

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

FeloniousDrunk posted:

Heh. Angus "howls" at sirens, but really he just adopts the appropriate pose and makes an 'o' with his lips. Sometimes just at the end, there's this dying grunt sort of noise. It's too cute really.

This is what Pazuzu howls along to.

Coffee Sludge
Dec 14, 2003

Dag nabbit
Grimey Drawer

Peace Fire posted:

Short Furred:

Looks like he's got some cocker to me. Reminds me of my old dog at least. I could get my dog wound up pretty good when I would point out someone outside to him. Of course if he knew who it was he would degenerate into a spastic mess of wiggles once you came inside the door.

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

That's not a dog, it's a mop. :colbert:

Seriously though, those ears are epic. How much is ear and how much is hair?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Apologies if this is a purebreed that I just don't know about, but can anyone help identify what this might be?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
It's hard to tell with puppies, they don't really have much to offer in breed characteristics besides their tails and coat patterns. I don't think it's a purebred though. I guess I'd a lab mix of some kind.

or a browndog

WereJace
May 16, 2006

Beast Wars

Phishi posted:

That's not a dog, it's a mop. :colbert:

Seriously though, those ears are epic. How much is ear and how much is hair?

About half the length of his ears is leather, the rest is hair. And yes, he is a freaking mop. (Also not a mutt, just threw the howling video up for comparison, I swear!)

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

pik_d posted:

Apologies if this is a purebreed that I just don't know about, but can anyone help identify what this might be?

Lab/Shepherd maybe? It's hard to tell with puppies, they're all the same shape at that age.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

pik_d posted:

Judging from the whorl of hair along the back, I would guess you have a baby Chupacabra. Hide your goats.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kerfuffle posted:

It's hard to tell with puppies, they don't really have much to offer in breed characteristics besides their tails and coat patterns. I don't think it's a purebred though. I guess I'd a lab mix of some kind.

or a browndog

pienipple posted:

Lab/Shepherd maybe? It's hard to tell with puppies, they're all the same shape at that age.

OK, not to far off from what others have said, I was just hoping the black tail/distinctive ridge would be recognizable to someone.

Scary Ned posted:

Judging from the whorl of hair along the back, I would guess you have a baby Chupacabra. Hide your goats.

What do they eat if we don't have goats :ohdear:

Phishi
May 13, 2006
The long and winding road....

WereJace posted:

About half the length of his ears is leather, the rest is hair. And yes, he is a freaking mop. (Also not a mutt, just threw the howling video up for comparison, I swear!)

I didn't even realize what thread I was in! Anyway, those are still freakin' huge. This coming from a person that has nicknamed her dog "Radar" because her ears are so big.

Peace Fire
Nov 28, 2010

pik_d posted:

What do they eat if we don't have goats :ohdear:

Cat, babies, and house plants. In that order.

That ridge on the back and the tail looks kind of like my neighbor's dog Rontu. But he was a mutt too (and a 175# one at that) so it's hard to tell what he was, too. I know he had German Sheperd in him but I'm not sure what else.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?
Any guesses on Ginny here? At the shelter, they were very insistent that she's a purebred Australian Cattle Dog, but two things have me pretty well convinced that she's got a little something else in her. The floppy ears are one, and second is that she was seized in a puppy mill raid (she was the personal pet of the mill owner) and she was already spayed when the shelter got a hold of her. Maybe it's too much projecting, but I can't imagine someone who owns and operates a puppy mill spaying his purebred pet.

Pictures!

Her spots:

Two weeks later, looking slimmer:

The most Cattle Dog-esque I've seen her look:

Her tail:

For size comparison:

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary
Ginny is a lovely freckly-weckly dog, Brisbane approves. I would venture to say that she is possibly a poorly bred ACD. They develop a whole lot of variety outside the show/competition world, and a lot of working dogs have similar coat patterns. Dunno about the ears though, do they try to stand up now and then?

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~
I think Super posted somewhere that she has some terrier look in her, I'd agree with ACD/Terrier.

Ginny Field
Dec 18, 2007

What if there is some boy-beast running around Camp Crystal Lake?

Scary Ned posted:

Ginny is a lovely freckly-weckly dog, Brisbane approves. I would venture to say that she is possibly a poorly bred ACD. They develop a whole lot of variety outside the show/competition world, and a lot of working dogs have similar coat patterns. Dunno about the ears though, do they try to stand up now and then?

Her ears do try gamely to stand up once in a while, but only when she's super amazingly crazily excited about something. I've only seen it happen a handful of times, and they don't stay up for very long.

She definitely has the crazy energy levels typical to her breed, though. Even though she's a chubbo, she's certainly not a couch potato.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

Ginny Field posted:

She definitely has the crazy energy levels typical to her breed, though. Even though she's a chubbo, she's certainly not a couch potato.

I don't think I've ever seen a cattle dog or cattle dog mix that looked slender, even at a healthy weight. They're built like barrels.

6-Ethyl Bearcat
Apr 27, 2008

Go out
Some girl in a dog-related LJ community has this ACD/shepherd mix. Even though he's in perfect shape, he looks like a tube (with really muscular legs).

Click here for the full 1023x682 image.

Stunning dog though.

Cassiope
Jul 7, 2010

Man, the living creature, the creating individual, is always more important than any established style or system.
Except for cats.
There's one ACD at our dog park who is absolutely adorable and really compact, but still slender. Her owner is really knowledgeable and has her trained super well too. The dog is only like a year old though, so maybe she will chunk out a bit as she gets older?

froglet
Nov 12, 2009

You see, the best way to Stop the Boats is a massive swarm of autonomous armed dogs. Strafing a few boats will stop the rest and save many lives in the long term.

You can't make an Omelet without breaking a few eggs. Vote Greens.
This is my dog Jessie, who I'm 85% certain she's a border collie x Australian kelpie (possibly crossed with something else?).

She has amazingly expressive ears - it's hilarious when her ears go like this, because they stay that way for an hour or so before going back to normal:

She's a bit daft - she tries to herd waves and birds whenever we're at the beach/dog park.

Scary Ned
Mar 16, 2007

very scary

RazorBunny posted:

I don't think I've ever seen a cattle dog or cattle dog mix that looked slender, even at a healthy weight. They're built like barrels.

The breed standard for ACDs calls for them to be "strongly coupled." Mine doesn't particularly have a waistline when viewed from above, even when his ribs are visible.

ExtremeODD
Jul 16, 2005
Just got a puppy from a coworker, the mom is a "bordador" half boarder collie and half Labrador. The dad is they believe to be a neighbors pitbull, one of the friendliest dogs Ive ever met. Just a hair over 4 weeks old or so, cute little bastard.

Fatty Patty
Nov 30, 2007

How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

ExtremeODD posted:

Just got a puppy from a coworker, the mom is a "bordador" half boarder collie and half Labrador. The dad is they believe to be a neighbors pitbull, one of the friendliest dogs Ive ever met. Just a hair over 4 weeks old or so, cute little bastard.

holy poo poo 4 weeks old? It should still be with its mother until at LEAST six weeks (preferably 8).

edit: PS bordador is the dumbest poo poo I have ever heard

Fatty Patty fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Dec 12, 2010

Kerfuffle
Aug 16, 2007

The sky calls to us~

ExtremeODD posted:

Reiterating this dog should not be away from its mom and littermates. :smith:

Serella
Apr 24, 2008

Is that what you're posting?

ExtremeODD posted:

Literally everything is wrong with this.

rivals
Apr 5, 2004

REBIRTH OF HARDCORE PRIDE!
Echoing that the dog needs to get back with the mom ASAP. Also tell your idiot coworker to stop buying designer breeds and loving spay her dog

Fiskiggy
Feb 15, 2005

You have impressed FFCiv with your turn time!
They turn a blind eye to the turn times of other civilizations, and your Influence over them has increased by 40.
when you get it back 4 weeks from now be sure you've paid 0 dollars for it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yo, imma blob
Apr 29, 2007

have you any wool
Hahaha you've either read PI exactly 0 times in your life, or absorbed absolutely nothing from what you have read. Make sure you get that dog fixed (but not at 4 weeks).

Bordador, criminy. That dog must be a handful for its owner. :psyduck: