Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Pompous Rhombus posted:

I've been using a tablet so long (at my job mostly, boss replacing mice with tablets years ago for ergonomic reasons) it's become second nature to tuck the stylus in a balancing position on the inside of my right thumb rather than putting it down when I go to touch-type. I flip between that and using it on the tablet with just the one hand. I didn't even realize I was doing it until I looked down one day :pwn:

I started with a little 4x6 Graphire, and only used it when I absolutely had to. Then I started working for a guy who had an A4 sized Intuos 3 at each workstation, no mice, and I quickly adapted. What took me the longest was getting used to having to move my arm so much on the larger tablet haha.

But speaking of shortcuts, I've been wanting one of these for years: http://www.logickeyboard.com/shop/adobe-photoshop-cs-1772p.html

Even though I know most shortcuts, it would be nice to have a cheat sheet. I'm not sure I like the idea of having a silicone cover over my keys though, and am considering making my own using an Epson and some kind of printable vinyl.

The sad thing is, I've been using my 6x8 Bamboo Fun 90% of the time, while my Cintiq 12WX collects dust. Its jitters and edge accuracy make it useless as a tablet, and the display just doesn't have enough resolution to really work on photos. It's something like 1280x800, while I'm used to 1920x1200. I held onto it because I wanted to love it, and it looks cool, but I just couldn't bring myself to be satisfied. Now it's too late to sell it without a massive loss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

helstegt
Jan 4, 2001

I dig music

BeastOfExmoor posted:

I can't tell you what's happening but it appears that the exposure on the whole image is changing. Look at the shadows and you'll see the extra shadow detail. I suppose its possible that its sharpening during export that's doing it (the only export setting I can think of that would cause this), but it's definitely not just artifacts.
I am not sharpening the image on export, and the artifacts/overexposure are visible even when exporting to lossless formats. I suspect that the problem has to do with the Lightroom "fit" preview actually applies the changes to the embedded jpg and not the raw-file(?)

If I zoom in to do a 1:1 preview on these images, the artifacts are very visible. It's just really hard to make the image looking as I want at output size if I do not get a faithful representation of the output in the "fit" preview in Lightroom.

Maybe there's a setting somewhere that can make Lightroom show a more reliable preview than what it is currently doing?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
I'm having this issue with LR 3.2 where it fails to export jpegs sometimes. If I increase the max export file size (say from 1000kb to 1500kb) it works 90% of the time. Sometimes I even have to go to 2kb. I just did a mass export (to 500kb jpegs), of 180 and 49 failed to export. All but three exported at 1000kb and the rest exported successfully at 1500kb. Any idea what's going on here?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Any error messages? Do you use any export plugins that might be loving up?

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
The error massage says, "Some export operations were not performed. - Could not create a JPEG that met your limit of 500K bytes." Disabled all of the plug-ins, didn't seem to change anything. Hmm...

big cheese
Apr 29, 2009

Tintern on t'internet
Are there any image size options ticked as well when you're trying to export? It might be struggling to create a file of that size and also trying to make it 2000 pixels on the short edge as well. Other than that, I have no idea.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

spf3million posted:

The error massage says, "Some export operations were not performed. - Could not create a JPEG that met your limit of 500K bytes." Disabled all of the plug-ins, didn't seem to change anything. Hmm...
It might seem obvious, but are you limiting your file size to 500K?

wins32767
Mar 16, 2007

Just an FYI, Lightroom is on sale for $150 on Amazon today.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

big cheese posted:

Are there any image size options ticked as well when you're trying to export? It might be struggling to create a file of that size and also trying to make it 2000 pixels on the short edge as well. Other than that, I have no idea.
I find it much easier to just constrain pixel size and jpeg quality then let LR run with it.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

psylent posted:

It might seem obvious, but are you limiting your file size to 500K?
Yeah, basically I just want to export low quality jpegs -see my bitching in the discussion thread. Is there a way to resize on export in LR? Surely there is and I'm not seeing it, but when I have a photo open in the Develop tab, hit ctrl-shift-e, the export box comes up and I check the constrain size box and type 500kb or whatever, I don't see a resize image option on there. That would make sense that it's not possible to save a jpeg that small while maintaining the original image size perhaps.

What gets me is that it works for some pics and not others, all of which seem to be equivalent (similar colors, not cropped, same ISO, etc.). Thanks for the help guys, btw.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

You can choose a maximum long/short edge pixel size.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Sorry for being dense, but is it in the export menu somewhere? I'd rather not have to resize every image individually before exporting.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

It's in the export to disk options screen. You can select the long/short edge size. If you select a batch to export it'll export them all with the same options.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Ah, I didn't realize there was a scroll bar in the export menu. :downs: Thanks

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

The export system is still one of those things that I feel Lightroom could improve on a little. It works really well once you have your export presets set up though.

I'd like to see them do to the export screen what they did to the import screen --- so to speak.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.
Is there anywhere to get more of the Light Room lens correction profiles? It doesn't seem to have a couple of my lenses.

I guess I could figure it out myself and make a profile or whatever, but I don't know how you would actually go about this to do it right (aside from just eyeballing it in a couple of photos). I'd assume it has to do with taking photos of lines and such, but I don't have any easy-access stuff to do this kind of thing.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm
Lightroom is killing me... I have my photos stored on several different external HDs since my main laptop dive is a small SSD. If I plug one of the HDDs into a USB port, LR doesn't find the photos on the drive if it was plugged into a different USB port than the last time I used it. It looks like I have to reimport them but when I go the import screen, all of the pictures are grayed out when I check the "do not import suspected duplicates" leading me to believe that they are in the catalog somewhere. When I click on the "all photographs" table in the library tab, all of my photos ever imported are there, but when I go to develop one of them "the folder can not be found". Anyone else have problems like this with multiple external HDDs?

XTimmy
Nov 28, 2007
I am Jacks self hatred

spf3million posted:

Lightroom is killing me... I have my photos stored on several different external HDs since my main laptop dive is a small SSD. If I plug one of the HDDs into a USB port, LR doesn't find the photos on the drive if it was plugged into a different USB port than the last time I used it. It looks like I have to reimport them but when I go the import screen, all of the pictures are grayed out when I check the "do not import suspected duplicates" leading me to believe that they are in the catalog somewhere. When I click on the "all photographs" table in the library tab, all of my photos ever imported are there, but when I go to develop one of them "the folder can not be found". Anyone else have problems like this with multiple external HDDs?

Just thinking out loud but could it be that the drives are coming up with different drive letters each time? (If you're on mac I presume it has a similar way of identifying drives) Differing drive letters would change the file path of the photo and Lightroom might poo poo itself.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

subx, Adobe actually makes a tool just for this. All you need is to print out a few things and photograph them at several focal lengths or apertures depending on your lens.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

When you say you don't have any easy-access to do this stuff, I'm not sure if you meant you don't have a printer or you don't have the tools to make a lens profile so I'm posting this just in case.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Martytoof posted:

subx, Adobe actually makes a tool just for this. All you need is to print out a few things and photograph them at several focal lengths or apertures depending on your lens.

http://labs.adobe.com/technologies/lensprofile_creator/

When you say you don't have any easy-access to do this stuff, I'm not sure if you meant you don't have a printer or you don't have the tools to make a lens profile so I'm posting this just in case.
Might as well try the Lens Profile Downloader first to see if someone in the community has done the job for him already.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Might as well try the Lens Profile Downloader first to see if someone in the community has done the job for him already.

Oh weird, I didn't even realize this was bundled with the profile creator.

edit: Derp, because it's not :downs:

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Dec 4, 2010

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I'd like to give my family some framed photos for chistmas this year. My mom in particular has been bugging me to show her all of the photos I took during my Arctic fieldwork this summer, and we're trying to keep things low-cost and simple this year.

Anyways, I was wondering if anyone has some general advice for getting good prints from digital photos. Most of what I've got are landscape shots, taken with my Pentax K10D in JPG "High Quality" mode and either my 18-55mm kit lens or my 100-300mm telephoto zoom, with the default white balance settings. I was in the High Arctic, so the light is always mid-day, though the weather of course was variable - no evenings, no sunsets, no interiors, no artifical lighting of any kind.

Here's an example of the kind of thing I'm looking at, the only modification is I rescaled it to 800 px wide (the original image is 3872 x 2592).

Some EXIF data: 1/400s, F 6.7, ISO 100, 300mm.

Given a photo like this, how would you process it for a 8 x 10 print? I've got GIMP because I'm broke.

Shmoogy
Mar 21, 2007

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

!!! This wasn't available last time I went to the adobe labs site, thanks for reminding me to download it!

Zegnar
Mar 13, 2005

ExecuDork posted:

Given a photo like this, how would you process it for a 8 x 10 print? I've got GIMP because I'm broke.

If you are not using Lightroom for commercial purposes I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about getting the education version. It is less than $90 and it is so so much better and easier than GIMP.

TheLastManStanding
Jan 14, 2008
Mash Buttons!

ExecuDork posted:

Given a photo like this, how would you process it for a 8 x 10 print?
I wouldn't. It's an odd crop and there isn't much to look at. Do you have any more photos to choose from?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I'm trying to figure out if the selection of community lens profiles is so slim pickings because Adobe has already covered all the major bases, or just that there's a lot to profile and so little time.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

TheLastManStanding posted:

I wouldn't. It's an odd crop and there isn't much to look at. Do you have any more photos to choose from?
I took approximately 2000 photos in the Arctic this summer, so, yes I think so. Presumably most of my pictures suck, but I hope to get 9 out worthy of getting printed and framed.

As before, this is unmodified except for resizing. There are a couple of dust spots from my dirty sensor, and I might need to rotate the image a bit, but otherwise I was planning to just play with the brightness and contrast and probably crop out some of the clutter near the bottom edge. That's about the limit of what I know how to do, and I was wondering if people had general advice for the digital -> print transcription.

EDIT: I remembered I'd already taken a crack at that particular image. Maybe somebody can tell me what they would have done differently?

Patterson River Campsite by Execudork, on Flickr

ExecuDork fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Dec 5, 2010

metavisual
Sep 6, 2007

I don't know if I'm in the right spot, but what do you guys use to import pictures? I was using downloader pro in the following way:

1) I put card into reader
2) DownloaderPro automatically copies the raws from the card and places them into my images folder, automatically sorted into folders based on the date the pictures were taken.
3) DownloaderPro deletes all images on the card and "ejects" it

I'm having an issue since I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 (I was using XP Pro 32) where downloader pro doesn't recognize my card reader. (I tried the latest version of downloader pro, and also tried updating the firmware of my reader.)

Windows recognizes the reader, Lightroom recognizes the reader, etc.

I'm not totally opposed to changing my import process, but I'd like to keep them sorted the same way.

Any ideas? What are people using for importing?
(If this is in the wrong thread, sorry, I figured it was a part of post-processing workflow)

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

metavisual posted:

I don't know if I'm in the right spot, but what do you guys use to import pictures? I was using downloader pro in the following way:

1) I put card into reader
2) DownloaderPro automatically copies the raws from the card and places them into my images folder, automatically sorted into folders based on the date the pictures were taken.
3) DownloaderPro deletes all images on the card and "ejects" it

I'm having an issue since I upgraded to Windows 7 x64 (I was using XP Pro 32) where downloader pro doesn't recognize my card reader. (I tried the latest version of downloader pro, and also tried updating the firmware of my reader.)

Windows recognizes the reader, Lightroom recognizes the reader, etc.

I'm not totally opposed to changing my import process, but I'd like to keep them sorted the same way.

Any ideas? What are people using for importing?
(If this is in the wrong thread, sorry, I figured it was a part of post-processing workflow)

I just use Lightroom's import. It puts the photos into appropriately named folders (date) and in the catalog.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

ExecuDork posted:

EDIT: I remembered I'd already taken a crack at that particular image. Maybe somebody can tell me what they would have done differently?

That one looks pretty inline with what I would've done. If I wanted to get really crazy you might try brightening up the bottom of the mountain below the lower clouds a bit to make it pop more. The only thing I would keep in mind for printing besides the harped upon "you don't know how your colors will look with a calibrated monitor and printer profiles" is that shadow areas tend to look quite a bit darker on a print than on your monitor. Try printing some 4x6 prints before you print big to just get an idea of what it will look like on paper.

Sevn
Oct 13, 2008

by Y Kant Ozma Post

BeastOfExmoor posted:

That one looks pretty inline with what I would've done. If I wanted to get really crazy you might try brightening up the bottom of the mountain below the lower clouds a bit to make it pop more. The only thing I would keep in mind for printing besides the harped upon "you don't know how your colors will look with a calibrated monitor and printer profiles" is that shadow areas tend to look quite a bit darker on a print than on your monitor. Try printing some 4x6 prints before you print big to just get an idea of what it will look like on paper.

I agree with this, and I also think you should do what you originally mentioned, rotating it just a little. Otherwise I think this is spot on.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
Cool, thanks very much to both of you. I spent the last couple of hours picking out some more, and this helps to motivate me to keep going and try to get a couple more up to something decent.

GWBBQ
Jan 2, 2005

Zegnar posted:

If you are not using Lightroom for commercial purposes I certainly wouldn't feel guilty about getting the education version. It is less than $90 and it is so so much better and easier than GIMP.
You need to send Adobe proof of registration or employment at an accredited college or university to activate educational editions.

subx
Jan 12, 2003

So I tried some dodge/burn/clone stuff but I can't seem to get it to look natural. I looked at that tutorial posted a while ago, and I get the general idea, but it just doesn't look "right" to me.

The parts I clean up don't blend as well as I'd like them too. Any tips?

Also how do you keep form defining parts (like where the nose starts to curve up) while removing a blemish?

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Adobe Camera RAW 6.3
  • Canon PowerShot G12
  • Canon PowerShot S95
  • Nikon D7000
  • Nikon Coolpix P7000
  • Nikon D3100
  • Olympus E-5
  • Panasonic DMC-GF2
  • Panasonic DMC-GH2
  • Pentax K-5
  • Pentax K-r
  • Samsung NX100
  • Samsung TL350 (WB2000)
  • Sony A560
  • Sony A580
Adobe Photoshop CS5 12.0.2
  • A number of potential security vulnerabilities have been addressed
  • Top type and font crashers found in the field have been addressed
  • A number of performance issues have been addressed
  • Crash opening 3D layers has been addressed
  • Color Engine crash has been resolved
  • Intermittent file format issues addressed
  • Shift scrolling bug fixed
  • Sharpen crasher fixed
  • Marching ants not seen at certain zoom levels fixed
  • Metadata focus distance issue addressed
  • File info bug addressed for Orphea Studio jpg's
  • TWAIN crashers fixed
  • Brush cursor bug fixed
  • Histogram progress bar issue fixed
  • Droplet issues addressed
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 3.3
  • Additional camera support for several new camera models including the Canon PowerShot 95, Nikon D7000 and Olympus E-5
  • Corrections for issues introduced in Lightroom 3.0

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01
On getting an "education", last I heard there is nothing different and you CAN use it for commercial use. I think you just get a much better price.

Edit: http://www.adobe.com/education/students/studentteacheredition/faq.html

Can I use my Adobe Student and Teacher Edition software for commercial use?
Yes. You may purchase a Student and Teacher Edition for personal as well as commercial use.

TLDR: buy the student version if possible and save a bunch of money, you can also use it for commercial work.

Dread Head fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Dec 7, 2010

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Sweet, new version! Did they make it so I could see previews when importing from my D300s?

..nope. :(

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

ExecuDork posted:

Patterson River Campsite by Execudork, on Flickr
I like what you have done so far and it's pretty much what I would have done - lighten the foreground, sharpen the detail on the mountain etc. I might brighten the foreground a bit more than you did but not by much.

But that's only the beginning if you're going to make a good print and, unfortunately, there's not a lot we can do to help you via interwebs. Printers are not monitors. Getting your profiles right will get you close to what you want but not always close enough. Alas, it's the darker areas that will let you down. Subtractive colour mixing will do that to you. You'll probably find that everything above the cloud line will print just fine but you will lose detail on the plain in the foreground.

The only way to be sure, after calibrating your monitor and printer, is to do test prints, see what works, adjust what doesn't, wash, rinse, repeat. We can't see your test prints so you'll have to make the call yourself as to what looks best. For example, it took 6 rounds of test prints before I got one that I was happy to show other people of this image:

Umbrella by Paul Duncanson, on Flickr

I needed to keep the alley looking dark and gloomy but also needed to keep the fine detail on the walls, the fence etc. Easy to do on screen, tricky on paper.

SirRobin fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Dec 8, 2010

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
SirRobin, how was that umbrella shot lit?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirRobin
Mar 2, 2002

psylent posted:

SirRobin, how was that umbrella shot lit?
I really need to come up with a witty answer to that question. Every time I show it to a photographer they have to ask.

There's a speedlite with a radio trigger gaffer-taped to the rib bits that fold the umbrella canopy out pointed at a piece of A4 white card stuck to the inside of the canopy. Yellow gel on the speedlite. It was shot late in the afternoon of an overcast day so everything outside of the pool of light from the flash is daylight.

How The Umbrella Was Lit by Paul Duncanson, on Flickr

SirRobin fucked around with this message at 14:23 on Dec 8, 2010

• Locked thread