Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Aug 10, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dxt
Mar 27, 2004
METAL DISCHARGE
I work at the subway as a sandwich engineer :)

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
I have met several mechanics that have engineer in their title and no knowledge of calculus. I don't know that I have met an engineer by the modern use of the word that I would ever mistake for a real engineer.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

AnomalousBoners posted:

I have met several mechanics that have engineer in their title and no knowledge of calculus. I don't know that I have met an engineer by the modern use of the word that I would ever mistake for a real engineer.

Also, buildings often have "engineering" which is just maintenance.

CapnBoomstick posted:

So how do you guys (traditional engineers?) feel about software engineering? Do you consider it to be actual engineering? Do you you consider to be a potential field of engineering but think that it's not there yet? Do you think licensing should be required to be a software engineer?

I'm a software engineer because I have a BSEE and using a title like "programmer" is below my pay grade. :smug:

On a serious note, licensing is not require for most engineers and outside of construction and public sector type stuff (think utilities) its rare to see a PE. As far as licensing in general, you want your structural engineers licensed for the same reason your doctors licensed. Actually, its arguably more important for engineers as when a bridge collapses it generally takes out more than one person...

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
I'm in a CpE program and I took a look at the FE requirements for EE today. Has sections like inorganic/organic chemistry, fluid dynamics, etc which we never covered. I also found a statistic that claimed only 52% of CpEs pass the FE the first time.

Anyways, you call everyone with a PhD a Doctor, but you [most often] wouldn't go to them for medical advise. The title doesn't matter as long as you can back up your skills. Some of the best software engineers don't have a computer-related degree.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

I'm in a CpE program and I took a look at the FE requirements for EE today. Has sections like inorganic/organic chemistry, fluid dynamics, etc which we never covered. I also found a statistic that claimed only 52% of CpEs pass the FE the first time.

Anyways, you call everyone with a PhD a Doctor, but you [most often] wouldn't go to them for medical advise. The title doesn't matter as long as you can back up your skills. Some of the best software engineers don't have a computer-related degree.

The FE does not penalize for guessing. I passed and literally put down "B" for the entire mechanics section neglecting one question that was basically "If Jimmy dropped a basketball from 4m, how long does it take to hit the ground?". So long as you ace your "home" sections and get the "simple" ones from a few sections you should pass the exam.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

Trench_Rat posted:

real engineers how do you feel about train drivers and engine room workers aboard ships being allowed to call them self engineers?
I don't mind them so much, because they are actually working with engines, so it works from a literal point of view. And I don't even mind "sanitation engineers" and "sandwich engineers", because everyone knows that's euphemistic bullshit. I don't think "software engineers" are engineers, but they are professionals with a skill, so it doesn't really bother me.

The one that does bother me is "audio engineer". Not the people working on designing sound systems or whatever. They're fine. I'm talking about the jackasses on radio shows that splice in on-the-fly sound effects, and screen callers, and maybe, maybe twist a few potentiometers for volume or bass levels.

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

hobbesmaster posted:

On a serious note, licensing is not require for most engineers and outside of construction and public sector type stuff (think utilities) its rare to see a PE. As far as licensing in general, you want your structural engineers licensed for the same reason your doctors licensed. Actually, its arguably more important for engineers as when a bridge collapses it generally takes out more than one person...

Hmm? In ontario I don't think this is true...

Professional Engineers Ontario posted:

You require a license if:
- your work requires you to design, compose, evaluate, advise, report, direct or supervise; and
- the work will safeguard life, health, property or the public welfare; and
- the work requires the application of engineering principles.
You are not required to be licensed if, for example:
- your work is strictly related to research, testing, or inspection; or
- there is no risk to life, health, property or the public welfare if your work is performed incorrectly; or
- the work is strictly scientific in nature.

Basically if you're designing anything that will be used outside of a research lab, essentially. You need a degree from an accredited university, plus 4 years work experience, then you need to pass an ethics exam.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

TrueChaos
Nov 14, 2006

Thoguh posted:

That's to be a PE. Most engineering disciplines don't care about getting your PE. I work in defense and while everybody went to an ABET school, nobody has their PE or any plans to pursue it.

Ontario might be different then, as just about all engineers I know either have their PE or are working towards it. I know its anecdotal but that covers civil, a few mechs, a bunch of industrial guys...

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006
I will be a junior next year working on a civil engineering degree. I need to make a decision about where to work next summer pretty quickly. I have two job offers; one of them is in my hometown where all my family and friends live. It is working for DOT collecting and analyzing traffic data. It pays around $20/hour, but I'd be lucky to work more then 40 hours a week. I did this job for half of last summer, it is completely stress free and very easy(state job).

The other offer is with a construction company in my state. I live in Alaska so and they mainly work in remote villages all over the state. I don't know where I would be sent yet, but it will be at least 500 miles away from home and I wouldn't really have a chance to leave until the end of summer. It also pays around $20/h, but they pay for housing and food, plus they work 6-12s so I would make a ton in overtime. I would be a project engineer, which I think is the engineers right hand man so I would do his paperwork most likely.

Does anyone have experience working in remote locations for three months or more at a time? I really cannot decide which would be better for me, while it would be nice making a ton of money this summer, it would also suck being away from my girlfriend, friends and family for so long.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I would ask myself which of those two jobs I would see myself doing, and which would provide the most benefit to my career. It sounds like the construction company job could open you up to a lot of opportunities, and the additional pay certainly doesn't hurt.

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

fatlightning posted:

I will be a junior next year working on a civil engineering degree. I need to make a decision about where to work next summer pretty quickly. I have two job offers; one of them is in my hometown where all my family and friends live. It is working for DOT collecting and analyzing traffic data. It pays around $20/hour, but I'd be lucky to work more then 40 hours a week. I did this job for half of last summer, it is completely stress free and very easy(state job).

The other offer is with a construction company in my state. I live in Alaska so and they mainly work in remote villages all over the state. I don't know where I would be sent yet, but it will be at least 500 miles away from home and I wouldn't really have a chance to leave until the end of summer. It also pays around $20/h, but they pay for housing and food, plus they work 6-12s so I would make a ton in overtime. I would be a project engineer, which I think is the engineers right hand man so I would do his paperwork most likely.

Does anyone have experience working in remote locations for three months or more at a time? I really cannot decide which would be better for me, while it would be nice making a ton of money this summer, it would also suck being away from my girlfriend, friends and family for so long.

I agree with the previous poster. This should be about where you want your career to go. Which of these jobs will give you better experience towards finding a job when you graduate? Which will give you better references and contacts?

Have you ever left your home state or worked far away before? I remember my first internship was all the way in Louisiana; I'm from northern Indiana. It was a great experience living in a completely different part of the country, I became more independent, and helped prepare me a lot for eventually moving to the East Coast for graduate school. The experience of working far from where you're comfortable is a good one (even if it's in your home state, Alaska is huge).

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006
I have never worked far from home, I would be fine with the distance, but I will be in a village of no more than 1000 people. There is no cellphone reception and no internet connection for the employees to use on there down time. I could read all of the books I have always wanted to but never had time though...

It would be a great opportunity. Maybe I should just bite the bullet and spend one summer isolated but making a lot of money.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
do abet schools have a transfer policy?

Foyes36
Oct 23, 2005

Food fight!

seo posted:

Do you mean 'will they take all the credit I earned?' I don't know if there is a formal one or not, but when I transferred from one ABET school to another I lost some credit. Mostly because there weren't equivalent classes, or I had two classes merged into one. It wasn't much of a big deal though, I still graduated on time.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

seo posted:

You'll have to be more specific. If you're transferring between public state universities in the same state there may actually be a matrix.

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006

Thoguh posted:

I have experience living out out in rural Alaska. My advice is decide whether you are willing to be miserable for three months in exchange for shitloads of money. Personally I'd go for it, but you have to make the call yourself.

I figure three months of living in villages and only doing work/sleep would go by fairly quickly and while it would suck at the time the benefits of huge piles of cash plus the experience would win out for me.

What village is it?

Last summer they were working a lot in Selawik, population 700. I am not sure where they would put me though, they have work all over.

Inferior Third Season
Jan 15, 2005

seo posted:

I have a BS and an MS in Aerospace Engineering from an ABET school, as well as four years of work experience. I just started up at another ABET school this semester in Electrical Engineering for another MS. Getting credit for even undergrad pre-reqs was a goddamn nightmare. I had to go through my adviser, a professor, the EE department student coordinator, and finally to the dean just to get an exemption for a bullshit freshman-level "logic" class. And even then, it was only because I threatened to drop out completely, and they knew that I was a cash cow for them, since my employer is paying the tuition. There were three other pre-req classes that they wouldn't budge on, even though I did very similar classes while doing my Aero degrees. So I'm taking them this semester. I show up only to turn in homework and take exams.

I hear my experience is not unusual for my particular school. They want you to take as many classes as possible, for as many semesters as possible, because you are nothing but a source of revenue for them, and they don't give a poo poo about you wasting years of your life.

But other schools are probably better. I guess all of this was a round-about way of saying "it depends". It was nice to vent, though.

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
What are my odds of getting a job out of school if I have a mediocre GPA (~3.25 probably) but no internships? For whatever reason I couldn't find anything at all last summer despite two interviews where the interviewer told me it had gone well, so I ended up doing freelance writing on engineering subjects at BrightHub.

I do have 4 years of a varsity sport, but I don't know how much that'll help. I'm considering focusing on applying for internships again.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

T.H.E. Rock
Sep 13, 2007
;)
4 years in college, but in a "minor" sport (cross country/track). Still, it's good to have something to play up I guess.

I only have my overall engineering ranking, which is 145/221. I suspect it's better for mechanical engineering specifically, but probably still not all that great. I guess as long as you're saying my resume wouldn't automatically get tossed in the garbage, that's a good thing. Would you roll your eyes at the engineering writing thing?

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

Trench_Rat posted:

real engineers how do you feel about train drivers and engine room workers aboard ships being allowed to call them self engineers?

I work as a marine engineer aboard ships and I resent that. I studied four years of marine engineering systems at a federal service academy and passed my Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. Everyday when I'm working I'm working on piping systems, pumps, motors, turbines, sewage treatment plants, freshwater generators, oil purification, just to name a few. Why can't I call myself an engineer?

This job also pays much better than 3/4 of the land based engineering jobs you'll find.

[/quote]

When I'm working I work for periods of about three months aboard ships. This last trip I did about 105 days, starting in Trinidad and ending up in South Korea. It sucks when you're out there, but when I get home I have three months off to do whatever the hell I want.

What would be your vacation schedule and would you have internet access? Skype, email and the like make time away from home much more bearable than you think. Also gives you time to pick-up random hobbies and read a crap ton of books.

Fish Shalami fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Dec 7, 2010

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Fish Shalami posted:

I work as a marine engineer aboard ships and I resent that. I studied four years of marine engineering systems at a federal service academy and passed my Fundamentals of Engineering Exam. Everyday when I'm working I'm working on piping systems, pumps, motors, turbines, sewage treatment plants, freshwater generators, oil purification, just to name a few. Why can't I call myself an engineer?

This job also pays much better than 3/4 of the land based engineering jobs you'll find.

I think he was referring more to train operators and engine technicians than someone who has an engineering degree. Sounds like your job is both pretty cool and pretty technical. I love complex systems like that.

Personally I don't care who calls themselves an engineer.

fatlightning
Nov 7, 2006

Fish Shalami posted:

When I'm working I work for periods of about three months aboard ships. This last trip I did about 105 days, starting in Trinidad and ending up in South Korea. It sucks when you're out there, but when I get home I have three months off to do whatever the hell I want.

What would be your vacation schedule and would you have internet access? Skype, email and the like make time away from home much more bearable than you think. Also gives you time to pick-up random hobbies and read a crap ton of books.

There would be no internet for me to use on my offtime, there would be a lanline phone I can use when I need to but thats about it.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

fatlightning posted:

There would be no internet for me to use on my offtime, there would be a lanline phone I can use when I need to but thats about it.

become a heavy drinker. or bring an xbox/ps3 with a dozen of good, long single player games. or a ton of books/ebooks. or some future textbooks

Fish Shalami
Feb 6, 2005

What is shalami?

fatlightning posted:

Well I don't have internet per se either, but I do have email. If it pays well I'd say try it. Get a kindle and load that baby up. Or teach yourself something. I picked up ukulele.

You do go crazy though.

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009
Internship resume :

I'm in my third semester at a Canadian university in aerospace engineering. I have an obligatory internship to do after 55 credits, which I should have completed if I don't fail loving diff equations. I have a mediocre GPA of 3.1/4 which is like .3 over the average. I'm doing fairly well but my math grades suffer the most.

I'm kind of worried I'll be able to get an internship for the summer with my resume. I'm not in a single club (might join one next semester though, build rockets!) and my only work experience is working as an instructor in a summer/day camp for 2 summers. The stuff I do outside of school is pretty much play guitar in a garage band for fun and sports (mountain climbing, scuba diving, weightlifting). I also used to row, although not competitively, for my team in college. Could my "resume" interest any recruiter?

KaiserBen
Aug 11, 2007

seo posted:

become a heavy drinker.

FYI, this is what happens at remote jobsites even if you do have internet access.

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
A professor suggested I get a business card. I am at the end of my sophomore year of a BSME and working as a CNC machinist and engineering tech. I thought it'd be nice to add to this card what looks like laser engraving on the aluminum block that said Studying Mechanical Engineering or something to that effect. What do you think? I made this tonight in photoshop, suggestions welcome.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
I think the card looks fine as is. In my opinion adding "studying Mechanical Engineering" actually degrades your position.

ch3cooh
Jun 26, 2006

KaiserBen posted:

FYI, this is what happens at remote jobsites even if you do have internet access.

Unless your company has a strict no alcohol in man camp policy

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

AnomalousBoners posted:

A professor suggested I get a business card. I am at the end of my sophomore year of a BSME and working as a CNC machinist and engineering tech. I thought it'd be nice to add to this card what looks like laser engraving on the aluminum block that said Studying Mechanical Engineering or something to that effect. What do you think? I made this tonight in photoshop, suggestions welcome.

The text looks aliased, isn't there a way to smooth the edges? Other than that it looks fine I think.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Cicero posted:

The text looks aliased, isn't there a way to smooth the edges? Other than that it looks fine I think.

jpg compression artifacts?

AnomalousBoners
Dec 22, 2007

by Ozma
Maybe, either way the text isn't rasterized so it shouldn't be like that though I don't really see where you mean.

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

I'm a Civil Engineering graduate working in the utility industry. First with natural gas and then eventually electric.

Since I deal almost exclusively with electric these days, I've wanted to go back and get an EE. I've found a way to take it online. Does anyone have any insight to online engineering degrees? It's all accredited and everything, my question is more about relative difficulty (vs. classroom) and general experiences with getting one. My plan was to take two classes a semester. My job will be paying for it.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
The only thing that I would question about an online EE degree is how you do labs. I think I had at least one Lab every semester for EE.

What school is it through?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Experiment
Dec 12, 2010

Plinkey posted:

The only thing that I would question about an online EE degree is how you do labs. I think I had at least one Lab every semester for EE.

What school is it through?

1) I do have to do labs but it is all done at once over the summer. I believe the labs are two weeks in length.

2) University of North Dakota