Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Super Ninja Fish posted:

Yeah, this is probably the best heel vs heel match that was ever done.
http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x2z9pa_jericho-in-wcw-vol-14-jericho-vs-ra_sport

Can anyone think of one better than this?

Owen/Bulldog for the European title. They were tagging and managed by Cornette at the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Matlock
Sep 12, 2004

Childs Play Charity 2011 Total: $1755
There was that Jericho/Edge match a while back where Jericho put his feet on the ropes and got caught, then Edge immediately did the same thing

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
Kurt Angle and Triple H had a heel vs. heel match at Unforgiven 2000 that was both a great match and one of the biggest wasted opportunities ever.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
This wasn't a heel vs heel match, but during the events ROH held for the filming of The Wrestler there was a Kevin Steen vs Davey Richards match. Steen was a face going into this, but if you've seen Steen as a face, he basically wrestles as a heel except the crowd cheers him and he makes the comeback.

The match was them ball shotting each other, talking poo poo and doing heel antics. It was immensely entertaining.

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
Has a First Blood match ever been botched horribly and the ending ruined? Like, has the guy who was supposed to lose ever gotten a nosebleed or whatever?

While I'm at it, what are some terrible/hilarious examples of gimmick matches ending terribly because of something loving up?

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

nationalista posted:

Has a First Blood match ever been botched horribly and the ending ruined? Like, has the guy who was supposed to lose ever gotten a nosebleed or whatever?

While I'm at it, what are some terrible/hilarious examples of gimmick matches ending terribly because of something loving up?

Hogan/Flair like two pages ago

workinonit
Jul 11, 2009
haha oh poo poo. Never mind :doh:

Wazzu
Feb 28, 2008

Are you sure I'm winning the Rumble? That does'nt seem right.....

Web Jew.0 posted:

Hogan/Flair like two pages ago

Now I've only seen the event and not the stuff afterwards, but wasn't that more WCW not understanding how to book a match instead of a botch? Like, Ric talking to little naitch charles robinson before the match telling him not to stop the match because of a tiny cut, then the interferance by Arn Anderson (giving Flair a tire iron he used to knock out hulk, so that he could figure four pin him).

Stupid, but it's like when Piper won a match that he wasn't part of because he checked on somebody's health, not a botch, just loving WCW.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

Wasn't there an Austin WWE match where somebody started bleeding unintentionally?

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Hockles posted:

Wasn't there an Austin WWE match where somebody started bleeding unintentionally?

Austin/Kane. I think Austin got poked by a thumbtack left over from the UT/Mankind Cell match, but the ref decided he wasn't bleeding adequately and let the match continue.

reality_groove
Dec 27, 2007

Didn't TNA have an Ultimate X match where the X fell down? And a contract on a ple match where the contract fell off the clipboard but the apparently getting the clipboard won the match rather than the actual, you know, contract.

gibsonisacripple
Feb 24, 2001

CHAMPIONS

reality_groove posted:

Didn't TNA have an Ultimate X match where the X fell down? And a contract on a ple match where the contract fell off the clipboard but the apparently getting the clipboard won the match rather than the actual, you know, contract.

lovely youtube video of the X falling down here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DvFa3T4s5f4

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
The video doesn't even show the best part. It falls a second time, and Petey Williams loving catches it, so the ref just calls the match. I'm assuming he was supposed to win, but it is TNA.

They changed the way the X was attached to the structure after that.

Good Listener
Sep 2, 2006

Ask me about moons
Fact #1 The Moon is really cool

nationalista posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gy4c3dboP0

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

The video doesn't even show the best part. It falls a second time, and Petey Williams loving catches it, so the ref just calls the match. I'm assuming he was supposed to win, but it is TNA.

They changed the way the X was attached to the structure after that.

I think they did a rematch the next impact.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

nationalista posted:

The "catch-as-catch-can" match between Kidman and Malenko had rules such where if you went out of the ring you lost the match. Malenko proceeded to do his usual "roll out of the ring, regroup" spot, and was promptly DQ'd. This was Malenko's last match in WCW.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Just noticed "The Best of Seasons 1 and 2" of RAW at Amazon.com Did the WWE ever plan on releasing entire seasons of RAW or Smackdown or even Saturday Night Main Event? It seems like a goldmine for the box-set, tv-collecting fans.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

ChikoDemono posted:

Just noticed "The Best of Seasons 1 and 2" of RAW at Amazon.com Did the WWE ever plan on releasing entire seasons of RAW or Smackdown or even Saturday Night Main Event? It seems like a goldmine for the box-set, tv-collecting fans.

Don't really get why people think they would do this when this would constitute 90+ hours of television. This sets aside that 75% of it would be terrible/filler.

I mean Beat The Clock night is bad enough when it's live.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Don't really get why people think they would do this when this would constitute 90+ hours of television. This sets aside that 75% of it would be terrible/filler.

The first several seasons would be less than 40 hours, which would be a 10+ DVD set. Not impossible, but still very unlikely.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

While it wasn't a botch (kinda), I did enjoy the "get the contract hanging above the ring for a title shot" match on ECW where Sabu, after getting the contract, proceeded to eat it, perhaps in order to absorb it's number one contendership powers.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Jerusalem posted:

While it wasn't a botch (kinda), I did enjoy the "get the contract hanging above the ring for a title shot" match on ECW where Sabu, after getting the contract, proceeded to eat it, perhaps in order to absorb it's number one contendership powers.
Of course, Batista has always maintained a healthy diet with the requisite amount of number one contendership contracts.

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Jerusalem posted:

No, no, no Sabu is the botch.

WeaselWeaz
Apr 11, 2004

Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Biscuits and Gravy.

El Duke posted:

The "catch-as-catch-can" match between Kidman and Malenko had rules such where if you went out of the ring you lost the match. Malenko proceeded to do his usual "roll out of the ring, regroup" spot, and was promptly DQ'd. This was Malenko's last match in WCW.

It's important to note it was his last match because he quit, not because he was fired. They wanted to keep him despite the massive botch.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

WeaselWeaz posted:

It's important to note it was his last match because he quit, not because he was fired. They wanted to keep him despite the massive botch.

Yeah, I didn't mean to imply it resulted in him being fired. Just that his last moment in WCW was a ridiculous match stipulation that I doubt even the two involved really had been completely briefed on. I just have a good feeling that Malenko confirmed he'd made the right decision at that point.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

So you know how when one guy tags in his partner and the ref starts counting when they are both in the ring? Has anyone ever lost a match because they refused to go on to the apron?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

servo106 posted:

So you know how when one guy tags in his partner and the ref starts counting when they are both in the ring? Has anyone ever lost a match because they refused to go on to the apron?

Elijah Burke and Monty Brown in ECW. This was during the time WWE told their refs to call matches like a shoot.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

Elijah Burke and Monty Brown in ECW. This was during the time WWE told their refs to call matches like a shoot.

I kinda miss that period. I like when wrestlers obey the rules. :(

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.

servo106 posted:

There have been a few Survivor Series matches where drat near entire teams got DQ'd for that.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."
The famous one was Survivor Series 91, where Ric Flair got backdropped over the top rope in a melee and ended up being the sole survivor because everyone still inside the ring was DQ'd for failure to adhere to the tag rules.

WHICH WAY MADNESS
Apr 28, 2009

You recall this living nightmare, you take comfort in its familiar pain. You smell fermentation and can hear a dull, unending beeping. Someone shouts in a language you do not know.
You love your family. YOU. LOVE. THEM.
Welcome to Red Lobster. Come see what's fresh. Today.
Or Survivor Series '94 with HBK's team.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Has there ever been an "evil twin" gimmick in wrestling? I know the Bellas did something along those lines on NXT, but I'm talking more...meaningful. If you could find identical twins who were both into wrestling, I could see some interesting scenarios developing. Evil twin weakens good twin's friendships by pretending to be him, evil twin ties up good twin in the back and takes a pin for him, costing him the title, etc.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Has there ever been an "evil twin" gimmick in wrestling? I know the Bellas did something along those lines on NXT, but I'm talking more...meaningful. If you could find identical twins who were both into wrestling, I could see some interesting scenarios developing. Evil twin weakens good twin's friendships by pretending to be him, evil twin ties up good twin in the back and takes a pin for him, costing him the title, etc.

Hebner switch for Andre's Title Win.

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Doink had this gimmick sort of but it certainly wasn't meaningful

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

There was the fake nWo Sting, and the fake Kane.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

Beat the Clock is fantastic for the simple fact that pure wrestling fans love it when the whole concept is to slowly give you less and less wrestling and see who can job the other guy out the fastest.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Beat the Clock is fantastic for the simple fact that pure wrestling fans love it when the whole concept is to slowly give you less and less wrestling and see who can job the other guy out the fastest.
I like Beat the Clock just because it gives us things like Daniel Bryan nearly making Batista tap.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Endorph posted:

I like Beat the Clock just because it gives us things like Daniel Bryan nearly making Batista tap.

I think it's fun once in a blue moon, it's just hilarious that it intentionally gives people more squashes and less wrestling and we love it.

The greatest moment in a Beat the Clock was sadly Carlito preventing (was it Masters?) from getting a good time because he straight up delayed as much as he loving could to cost him the match.

Benign
Oct 20, 2008

And I Quote!
Has there ever been a beat the clock series where one of the "non qualifiers" (the people who are just there to lose) won WITH the fastest time?

I think that could play out into a decent story for a snubbed wrestler who thinks he should be in the match since he, in fact, had the best time.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Benign posted:

Has there ever been a beat the clock series where one of the "non qualifiers" (the people who are just there to lose) won WITH the fastest time?

I think that could play out into a decent story for a snubbed wrestler who thinks he should be in the match since he, in fact, had the best time.

I always thought that happened with Evan Bourne. Might be thinking wrong. They didn't let him sub in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

Hinoarashi posted:

Didn't Jericho beat The Rock for the WCW title via Rock Bottom on a chair.
Actually he beat him with a Skull Crushing Finale! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lxzq7Pcf5cY&t=7m52s

Minidust fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Dec 8, 2010