Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Sweet. FAZ down 3% with SnP flat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plastic Jesus
Aug 26, 2006

I'm cranky most of the time.

ayekappy posted:

Sweet. FAZ down 3% with SnP flat.

Um, XLF is up 1.5%.

Hobologist
May 4, 2007

We'll have one entire section labelled "for degenerates"
What's up with all of these "Little books of X investing?" I just saw the Little Book of Sideways Markets on amazon.

I wonder if they retitled Security Analysis "The Big-rear end book of Value Investing," it would sell better.

MentosMan
Dec 4, 2005
For those of you still holding positions on NFLX, they just got a deal with Disney-ABC. Really wish I could've somehow gotten in on this back in the summer

http://www.tekgoblin.com/2010/12/08/netflix-signs-deal-with-disney-more-tv-and-movies-in-15-days/

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
What about Youku.com (YOKU)

They just went public. Seems like a Hulu/Netflix type service for China. They had $200M in revenue last year and China is a huge market that seems to do well on browser advertising if looking at Baidu is any indication.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Attention all rich jerks itt (especially those who never read any other threads in BFC): guaranteed immediate 100% ROI on your investment in camel shares. Act now!

Turkeybone
Dec 9, 2006

:chef: :eng99:
I'm waiting for netflix to just up and put their whole library on streaming. Less mail, less product, less workers? I dunno perhaps all the licenses and such will cost that much more.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

They just went public. Seems like a Hulu/Netflix type service for China. They had $200M in revenue last year and China is a huge market that seems to do well on browser advertising if looking at Baidu is any indication.

I was trying to figure out if they were worth investing in (as with DANG) was nervous about buying in missed the 50% post-open holy-poo poo. I couldn't find any earning reports or such from them, anyone know where to get that info?

MentosMan posted:

For those of you still holding positions on NFLX, they just got a deal with Disney-ABC. Really wish I could've somehow gotten in on this back in the summer

http://www.tekgoblin.com/2010/12/08/netflix-signs-deal-with-disney-more-tv-and-movies-in-15-days/

watch for rally tomorrow when trade opens (maybe we will hit 195 again?), but looking at chars, most likely NFLX will be heavily shorted for another week until options expiration.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

MentosMan posted:

Got in NFLX again this morning, it tanked on the CFO news which I view as irrelevant and it has a history of plunging 10% and then going back to new highs.

quote:

I was trying to figure out if they were worth investing in (as with DANG) was nervous about buying in missed the 50% post-open holy-poo poo. I couldn't find any earning reports or such from them, anyone know where to get that info?

As a rule I stay away from China, don't trust their books.

Also the Shanghai index is in a sideways to bear market yet Chinese stocks listed on American exchanges are doing ridiculously well.

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Dec 9, 2010

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009
They are saying YOKU = Chinese Hulu (NFLX?)
and
DANG = Chinese AMZN

YOKU a bet? I think I might enter far out straddle when the option chains open up next week...

problematique
Apr 3, 2008

What saves a man is to take a step. Then another step. It is always the same step, but you have to take it.
Does anyone use any RSS feeds to monitor certain stocks or sectors for major updates?

I made a risky play on AIB and IRE when they were in the slumps a few back but want to keep on top of any developments so I've subscribed to yahoo and smartmoney rss feeds for those stocks.

Do you all use any other feeds or service to stay on top of news passively?

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

problematique posted:

Does anyone use any RSS feeds to monitor certain stocks or sectors for major updates?

I made a risky play on AIB and IRE when they were in the slumps a few back but want to keep on top of any developments so I've subscribed to yahoo and smartmoney rss feeds for those stocks.

Do you all use any other feeds or service to stay on top of news passively?

GFinance is pretty much my primary source, relevant news articles usually pop up on their automated news finder. You do have to be able to tell the difference between crap and a decent analysis, but you get most of the major news that way. Also my brokerage (Fidelity) provides analyst reports from multiple firms free for their customers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

MrBigglesworth posted:

Is the internet infrastructure in China good enough to support streaming of video? Do Chinese consumers feel comfortable streaming to computers? In the US, you have all sorts of devices (HTPC, Xbox, PS3, Wii) that can stream to one's TV, but I don't think video game consoles sell that well in China, to say nothing of HTPC's.

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Who cares? YOKU like any other .com is worth more than its trading at now.

We've time traveled back to 1999 with some 2007 level commodity inflation thrown in for some fun. I miss the +100 naz days though, they need to bring those back. They just have to jump CSCO $100 in a week and we can get this party started.

Gamesguy
Sep 7, 2010

Gamesguy posted:

Got in NFLX again this morning, it tanked on the CFO news which I view as irrelevant and it has a history of plunging 10% and then going back to new highs.

NFLX is currently up over 11 bucks AH on news of it joining the S&P 500. What do you guys think? Take profits now or wait till it hits another new high?

Gamesguy fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Dec 9, 2010

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
If you believe there can be a bit more lift, set a trailing sell order of x% you are willing to lose to lock in a profit.

As the price rises so does the floor trigger point so if it takes a nasty dive you get out relatively close at the top.

Dr. Eldarion
Mar 21, 2001

Deal Dispatcher

MrBigglesworth posted:

If you believe there can be a bit more lift, set a trailing sell order of x% you are willing to lose to lock in a profit.
I did that with NFLX, got stopped out around $100, and was too much of a wuss to get back in.

... every day I'm kicking myself on that one.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Dr. Eldarion posted:

every day I'm kicking myself on that one.

Yeah.

goddinpotty
Sep 11, 2001

by Ozmaugh
Well I now live within stumbling distance of Johnny's Pizza.

Also just had my first car window smashed.

Finally I feel like a real Atlantean.

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Sweet, silver is about to break $30. Sitting on my hands with all the easing in the market since mid 20's continues to allow me to sleep at night.

poofactory
May 6, 2003

by T. Finn

Christobevii3 posted:

Sweet, silver is about to break $30. Sitting on my hands with all the easing in the market since mid 20's continues to allow me to sleep at night.

I've been in silver since about 12 and it has been kicking major rear end lately. The latest news I read is that JPM has decided to cover their short position which is something crazy like 40% of the silver futures market. If we get a huge surge, I'll probably sell and move it into platinum which has been a major laggard in the PM sector.

Thoogsby
Nov 18, 2006

Very strong. Everyone likes me.
There was a great article in the NY Times over the weekend about the current state of the derivatives market. I recommend you check it out!

(You have to have an account to read it, but its free to sign up)

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/12/12/business/12advantage.html?_r=1&src=me&ref=general

I'm moving to NYC on Jan. 1st to intern on the derivatives trading floor at a bank, and to be honest I don't really know what I'm getting myself into.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh
What are the best ways for an investor to expose themselves to commodity markets without trading futures contracts

http://dbfunds.db.com/

Are funds like those reasonable methods?

Jack
Jan 19, 2001
Today's FED meeting and the eventual passage of the tax bill later this week still scream 'I'm a T-bond short me!'

This sort of debt stress will not end well as we have seen in Europe. Either the deficit will get the yield up or economic 'growth' will.

I cannot think of a better macro idea. Can anyone else come up with one?

ayekappy
Aug 22, 2004

Brie Cheesin'
Die BBY! BK for Best Buy would be great because then people might not have the gall to try and charge $100s for simple poo poo like removing viruses, installing an OS, or transferring files. My former GeekSquad co-worker really truly believed removing a virus is the hardest thing in the world to do. If I had the balls and remembered BBY's earning were today, coulda pulled a nice 1000% profit in a day, doh.

edit: Make that 1500% profit. Even 10 bucks invested in some $35 PUTs would have made my Christmas!

ayekappy fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Dec 14, 2010

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

ayekappy posted:

Die BBY! BK for Best Buy would be great because then people might not have the gall to try and charge $100s for simple poo poo like removing viruses, installing an OS, or transferring files. My former GeekSquad co-worker really truly believed removing a virus is the hardest thing in the world to do. If I had the balls and remembered BBY's earning were today, coulda pulled a nice 1000% profit in a day, doh.

edit: Make that 1500% profit. Even 10 bucks invested in some $35 PUTs would have made my Christmas!

Am I missing something? BBY has dropped $5/share since this time yesterday.

owDAWG
May 18, 2008

Bigass Moth posted:

Am I missing something? BBY has dropped $5/share since this time yesterday.

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12396007

Poor holiday consumer electronics retail store sales. I mean what were they expecting on the eve of a lot tax cuts set to expire in an already weak recovery.

i am not zach posted:

What are the best ways for an investor to expose themselves to commodity markets without trading futures contracts

http://dbfunds.db.com/

Are funds like those reasonable methods?

Why trade in the commodities themselves when you can trade in the companies that mine and drill for them. Some of them pay large dividends as well and for every one point a commodity moves they often move 2 points.

i am not zach
Apr 16, 2007

by Ozmaugh

owDAWG posted:

Why trade in the commodities themselves when you can trade in the companies that mine and drill for them. Some of them pay large dividends as well and for every one point a commodity moves they often move 2 points.

I guess I'd kind of like to avoid the risk. I do currently have a position in SU in an attempt to expose myself to oil, but I'd like to enter other commodity markets as well (although I'm apprehensive to look at PMs currently). I don't know if there's a great place to do commodity research or what kinds of companies would be good choices for what commodities?

Cheesemaster200
Feb 11, 2004

Guard of the Citadel

i am not zach posted:

I guess I'd kind of like to avoid the risk. I do currently have a position in SU in an attempt to expose myself to oil, but I'd like to enter other commodity markets as well (although I'm apprehensive to look at PMs currently). I don't know if there's a great place to do commodity research or what kinds of companies would be good choices for what commodities?

ETFs maybe? That will be riskier than dealing with companies who deal in commodities though...

Commodities and "avoiding risk" generally don't go hand in hand. I would stick to associated stocks if you want to make some sort of speculative play with a lower amount of risk.

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

ETFs maybe? That will be riskier than dealing with companies who deal in commodities though...

Commodities and "avoiding risk" generally don't go hand in hand. I would stick to associated stocks if you want to make some sort of speculative play with a lower amount of risk.

even that might not be true on the idea of "lower" risk.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Cheesemaster200 posted:

GLD is pretty decent, but if you want gold exposure, FCX would be the way to go, and PCU for copper.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

owDAWG posted:

http://abcnews.go.com/Business/wireStory?id=12396007

Poor holiday consumer electronics retail store sales. I mean what were they expecting on the eve of a lot tax cuts set to expire in an already weak recovery.

The original post I quoted seemed to be worded like he wished he'd bought BBY before a huge gain, that's why I was confused.

Anubis
Oct 9, 2003

It's hard to keep sand out of ears this big.
Fun Shoe
Can anyone tell me anything good/bad about SDRL (SeaDrill Ltd)? I've finished up my annual Roth contributions and the last sectors I'm looking to diversify into is commodities and services so this seems to fit the bill.

Just looking for a second opinion to see if I missed some glaring problem, really.

Investor Context: Unless something has gone wrong, or I am doing my biannual reevaluation I try not sell stock but rather rely on healthy sustainable dividends for retirement investment and would ideally be looking to hold for several years.

Manawski
Oct 20, 2003

HOW DO I MADE PUDDING
Is it normal for a stock to drop like a rock on it's ex-date? ASG lost like 4 percent today, but it would seem that the two huge rear end sales that happened are people jumping off, and then will just buy it all back tomorrow.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

Manawski posted:

Is it normal for a stock to drop like a rock on it's ex-date? ASG lost like 4 percent today, but it would seem that the two huge rear end sales that happened are people jumping off, and then will just buy it all back tomorrow.

Stocks, close-ended funds, and the NAV of open ended funds all have their prices adjusted on their ex-dividend dates according to the amount of the distribution/dividend. This has been discussed previous in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post380540507

In the case of ASG, clearly the distribution of ~$0.08 (around 1.6%) is not accounting for the entirety of its drop, but it's certain contributing to it.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

flowinprose posted:

Stocks, close-ended funds, and the NAV of open ended funds all have their prices adjusted on their ex-dividend dates according to the amount of the distribution/dividend. This has been discussed previous in this thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3259986&pagenumber=47&perpage=40#post380540507

In the case of ASG, clearly the distribution of ~$0.08 (around 1.6%) is not accounting for the entirety of its drop, but it's certain contributing to it.
For those who might be wondering why, it's straightforward. Let's say a company has 1m shares oustanding and the share price is $100. Their market cap would then be $100m. The company then gives a dividend of $1/share. As far as the value of the company, it has just declined by $1/share x 1m shares = $1m, the amount they just gave out, so the price gets adjusted down to $99.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
So let's say I have a relatively small amount of money ($5000k) laying around.

I have a strong suspicion that a certain stock will rise soon (as one of its competitors falls).

I also feel that it's a stable stock... that if I'm wrong there won't be any wild fluctuations. But if I'm right there'll be a big shift.

How crazy would I be to throw this 5K into speculation? I've never messed w/ stocks before, and once I actually graduate and get a job my plan is to just get a boring index fund to save for retirement, but I'm also a poor college study looking at becoming a poor grad student, and the allure of quick money is strong.

(Or if I am as crazy as I believe I am, what are some good high risk - high reward options for investment? I understand that I can't get high returns w/o risk)

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

GregNorc posted:

So let's say I have a relatively small amount of money ($5000k) laying around.

drat, 5 mil is a small amount of money to you?

But seriously, sounds like you don't know much about and don't have much experience in the stock market or investing in general, but see it as a get-rich-quick opportunity. What makes you believe that this is going to be such a good investment? Have you checked out their recent quarterly/annual reports for their financial status? Of their competitors? Even if you did, do you have enough practice/experience to be able to interpret what's potentially good/bad? Which company are we talking about, anyway? Your $5k isn't going to move the market either way, so it's not as if you gain anything by keeping it a secret.

E: don't mean to sound like a dick, but that's a ton of money for a poor student to be investing on a whim.

Guinness fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Dec 16, 2010

Midget Mafia
Apr 17, 2002

GregNorc posted:

How crazy would I be to throw this 5K into speculation?

That depends on how much you think you're going to need that 5k; speculation can lead to big gains, but it can also lead to big losses. In all honesty, though, I do believe people investing with 5k should be looking to take just 1 or 2 positions to avoid getting eaten up by fees. I'd highly recommended more diversification beyond that, though.

Those 1 or 2 positions should, however, be very well researched. Like the previous poster said, you've indicated that you don't have any experience nor any knowledge to use to make a reasonable valuation estimate. There are a lot of companies out there that have advantages over their competitors and are generally well run whose stock I wouldn't touch with a 10 foot pole.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Jackal
Sep 13, 2009

GregNorc posted:

I want to gamble money

buy options for....
NFLX (for Dec 22nd decision)
ARG (for decision on $70)

if you are wrong you will be -5k, if you are, you will be upwards to 10k