Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
Miz vs. Bryan is probably the feud that led to the most entertaining matches. I think the problem is that I can't really remember any feuds between Mania and Summerslam (or thereabouts). That whole chunk of the year is just a big blur to me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Karmine posted:

edit: A WRESTLING QUESTION:
What do you guys think is feud of the year because off the top of my head all I can come up with is Cena vs. Nexus and I know there have been better feuds than that this year.

There were a lot of feuds this year that started well or had enormous potential that sadly just never really came to anything. Orton did a fantastic job at first on his side of the Orton/Triple H feud but Triple H's part in all of it was awful and undid a lot of the good work. DX vs Legacy could have been great, and ironically Shawn Michaels seemed to be the one doing the lion's share of the work to try and get the younger guys over.

Punk/Rey SHOULD have had Rey forced to join Punk's SES, it was terrible that this didn't happen.

LayCool/Mickie James had the right ending but then (either because of Mickie's injury or because WWE were genuinely terrible or due to a complete lack of depth in the women's division) it continued past the logical conclusion.

Batista was a one-man machine when it came to making his feud with Cena enjoyable as hell, but it felt a little too one-sided for my liking.

Edge/Jericho suffered from Edge really not being quite ready to return and struggling as a face against Jericho.

I never really felt like the feud between Cena/Sheamus or Randy/Sheamus got off the ground, and Randy/Wade was never really Randy/Wade but Wade (with Nexus)/Cena featuring special guest star the WWE Champion, Randy Orton.

Similar to Rey/SES, the Big Show/SES angle always felt just a little too one-sided, the faces never really felt like they were in that much peril.

I would have to say that it really comes down to Taker/Kane which suffered in the ring but was pretty good in everything around it, or Taker/Michaels which wasn't really a feud so much as two ulta-competitive guys who absolutely believed they could beat the other guy, or Cena/Nexus which feels like one of the few major feuds of the year where the face has actually been in peril/on the losing end/overwhelmed by the situation at least SOME of the time. For the moment I would probably say Cena/Nexus tops out the others.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

LividLiquid posted:

It's a total smark answer, but I'm with this. At least it's the one in which I was most interested and entertained.

Its not even a Smark answer, I mean, think about it:

It got Bryan over as a legit threat
Pushed Miz to the main event
Turned Cole heel
Got the US Title over
Gave Alex Riley a place on RAW
Helped push the Nexus v. Cena feud
The Cole-Seeking Mizzile

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Punk v Rey seemed to entertain alot of people along with Michaels v Undertaker. I also kinda liked Jericho v Bourne for what it was.

Agree with you for Jericho/Bourne. Shame it was so short.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
WWE: Cena vs. Nexus I guess?
TNA: Beer Money vs. MCMG
Other: Steen vs. Generico

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine.
I'm honestly still really intrigued by the Cena/Nexus storyline. The cliffhanger (if you can call it that) at the end of raw this week was really cool.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Oh yeah, WWE aside I've loved the Steen/Generico feud, Steen in a wonderful, bitterly twisted bumblebee of a man.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Karmine posted:

I'm honestly still really intrigued by the Cena/Nexus storyline. The cliffhanger (if you can call it that) at the end of raw this week was really cool.

On one hand, its cool. On the other hand, I do not want to lose Barrett as Nexus King

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Karmine posted:

It was good in that there are alot of possibilities of how it could play out. We know where it's headed, but I'm interested in seeing how it gets there. I'm hoping Barrett has something crafty up his sleeve to prove once and for all that they shouldn't doubt him.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Mr. Carlisle posted:

It was good in that there are alot of possibilities of how it could play out. We know where it's headed, but I'm interested in seeing how it gets there. I'm hoping Barrett has something crafty up his sleeve to prove once and for all that they shouldn't doubt him.

Yeah, it seems to be suggesting the break-up of Nexus, but considering the billion new Nexus shirts they just came out with, it seems a poor time to destabilize them.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I'm hoping Barrett has something crafty up his sleeve to prove once and for all that they shouldn't doubt him.

I would love to see Barrett turn this around on Otunga. Beat him back to FCW for a bit.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

El Axo Grande posted:

I would love to see Barrett turn this around on Otunga. Beat him back to FCW for a bit.

Only for a bit? :smith:

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

If Barrett hires Cena back, will Cena still be a Nexus member and under Barrett's thumb?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Axo Grande posted:

No, because, if anything, pushing a year Rookie into the title scene and having the top babyface work as a heel-by-proxy for two months is pretty revolutionary booking that has made the show genuinely interesting.

This is just not in the same reality as the actual reality.

The "revolutionary" booking (and in reality the whole thing was the same invasion angle that has been done in every promotion repeatedly since the mid-80s) ended in August long before any of the stuff you mentioned happened. Nexus lost the first big match at Summerslam via the usual Cena overcomes the odds shtick, which is the usual WWE pattern of cooling off the newcomers too quickly. Barrett lost all of his title shots and didn't even look that good in them. Nobody but Barrett is any sort of a player at this point, even though most of them headlined the third biggest PPV of the year a scant four months ago. Cena in Nexus was a total bust after the first week, it was just Cena being Cena and doing what he wanted with an armband on. Cena being fired looks like it's going to last three weeks with him never actually having left, which is the usual. Truly revolutionary stuff when you can describe it with the word "usual" in almost every sentence.

quote:

These all being things you would know watching the show.

I watch RAW pretty much weekly, some weeks live, some weeks on a replay fast-forwarding through the commercials and useless video packages which turns a 2:10 show into about fifty minutes. These are not things I agree with.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

jeffersonlives posted:

This is just not in the same reality as the actual reality.

Ok cool, ima be chilling in the Twilight Zone of liking RAW then. Me and Goatee Spock have a TLC PPV party planned.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Axo Grande posted:

Ok cool, ima be chilling in the Twilight Zone of liking RAW then. Me and Goatee Spock have a TLC PPV party planned.

There's nothing wrong with liking RAW. There are aspects of RAW which I like.

But claiming the Nexus is a revolutionary concept when it's every invasion angle ever, complete with the usual WWE tropes is nonsense. Six months later they're just another mid-card heel stable led by a guy a notch below the tip-top guys.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

How is Nexus a mid-card stable? They're feuding with John loving Cena.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

jeffersonlives posted:

There's nothing wrong with liking RAW. There are aspects of RAW which I like.

But claiming the Nexus is a revolutionary concept when it's every invasion angle ever, complete with the usual WWE tropes is nonsense. Six months later they're just another mid-card heel stable led by a guy a notch below the tip-top guys.

See how, because we disagree, you are seeking to legitimize your claim by falling back on the things you have recently viewed? Welcome to my point all along.

You are welcome to bitch if you watch the show and are disappointed. Thus why I said your original comment has nothing to do with the argument.

~Ax leads another wayward soul to the truth of reason~

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Karmine posted:

And Randy Orton. The two guys that blow the roof off when their music hits.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Karmine posted:

They close the show every week but I don't like so ....

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Karmine posted:

Wade Barrett is feuding with John Cena. The rest of Nexus has gotten beat up so many times by John Cena, sometimes 1-on-5, that it's now part of the storyline.

This is like saying Alex Riley is a main eventer because he's associated with Miz.

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

Wade Barrett is feuding with John Cena. The rest of Nexus has gotten beat up so many times by John Cena, sometimes 1-on-5, that it's now part of the storyline.

Right but they're still feuding.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Hey, I wanted to ask a wrestling question, but this doesn't seem to be the thread for that? Maybe we should make one specifically for wrestling questions.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

This is like saying Alex Riley is a main eventer because he's associated with Miz.

Alex Riley was just the number one contender for the WWE championship in the main event match this week on Raw.

Endorph posted:

Hey, I wanted to ask a wrestling question, but this doesn't seem to be the thread for that? Maybe we should make one specifically for wrestling questions.

We were just discussing best feuds of the year (the question asked) on this very page. Do you have a favorite?

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Karmine posted:

Right but they're still feuding.

So guys that get beat up by a main eventer every other week for three months in between winning some mid-card matches and losing some mid-card match aren't mid-carders? Okaaaaaay.

eta:

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Alex Riley was just the number one contender for the WWE championship in the main event match this week on Raw.

If you add up everyone that's been in a main event RAW match and call them a main eventer, you'd probably have every male wrestler on the brand as a "main eventer" except maybe Yoshi Tatsu.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 9, 2010

Karmine
Oct 23, 2003

jeffersonlives posted:

So guys that get beat up by a main eventer every other week for three months in between winning some mid-card matches and losing some mid-card match aren't mid-carders? Okaaaaaay.

Nexus is a stable full of midcarders, but it is not a midcard stable. Their storyline is the main focus of the company's flagship show.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Endorph posted:

Somebody asked what the feud of the year was.

We're talking about his question.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

jeffersonlives posted:

The nWo was Hulk Hogan and twenty midcarders, but they were still a main event stable.

servo106
Apr 26, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

I would say Miz vs. Bryan
That or Edge V. Stupid shame it got dropped. Edge on season 3 of NXT would of been glorious.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

jeffersonlives posted:

If you add up everyone that's been in a main event RAW match and call them a main eventer, you'd probably have every male wrestler on the brand as a "main eventer" except maybe Yoshi Tatsu.

I was kidding about Riley. His entire thing right now is like a 25 consecutive week streak of getting his rear end kicked in random ways when he isn't even usually directly involved. It's one of my favorite parts about Raw. Technically he main evented though so there's that.

Alex Riley vs Winning a match is seriously the most entertaining feud of the year for me. I love it in the same way that I love "Former Number One Contender For The WWE Championship" Zack Ryder.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Dec 9, 2010

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Michaels vs. Undertaker was the best feud of the year and I don't even see an argument elsewhere. Story was great, build was great, video packages were great, the big match was the best match of the year.

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!
Good Bella vs Angry Bella. Potential feud of the decade.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
Bryan vs. Miz is my favorite feud of the year. It started day 1 of NXT and continued on a fantastic path, until Bryan was fired. Then suddenly, he's back for Summerslam, and it takes the feud to a level I didn't even think was possible.

dshban
Jan 31, 2007

REFEREE
im a ghost
The feud of the year has clearly been the currently longest running one: LayCool vs Rosa Mendes with Rosa attempting to join LayCool. I mean, we saw her working out backstage for months!

Satire Forum Mom
Oct 4, 2003
MY CUNT DRIPS BROWN REFUSE LIKE A DIRTY HOOKAH. PS. THE BACK OF MY THIGHS ARE RIDICULOUS - COTTAGE CHEESE ANYONE?
The best feud of the year is Steen/Generico. It's old school yet really innovative and the mask vs career blow off is going to be huge.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Satire Forum Mom posted:

The best feud of the year is Steen/Generico. It's old school yet really innovative and the mask vs career blow off is going to be huge.

seriously.

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Satire Forum Mom posted:

I rapidly cooled off on ROH this year, but I 100% agree with this.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

MassRayPer posted:

Wrestling is like any sport in the sense that when you become a big fan you are always at least somewhat interested in it after. Years after people have given up on the Mets or the Orioles they will still be pissed at their team for incompetence. Or if they are sick of NASCAR for lovely rules, they will complain years after they've realized nothing will change about the sport in general.

Wrestling may not be a competitive sport, but people still treat it like one in many ways. This is one of them.

Exactly. I have watched approximately three episodes of RAW or SmackDown! in the last seven years, and yet am still reading WrestleHut with enthusiasm.

Though I find the complaining part to be so profoundly boring that I do not do it even when actively interested in something, for the most part.

Oh, I have a question that does not deserve its own thread: What exactly was the process that occurred taking Randy Orton from "one of the reasons I stopped watching wrestling because he was so awful" to "apparently hugely popular even amongst the Internet wrestling crowd?" I know this kind of thing has happened before, as when The Rock went from crappy annoying man to the biggest thing around, but I have a hard time understanding even now what makes him good other than his admittedly quite compelling sinister-mat-pound-and-stare.

George Kaplan posted:

This is pretty true.

Has anyone unexpected ever made it past the final four?

Like, say, Triple H and Benoit are duking it out, and forget that Santino is crouched in the corner?

Maven still has not been eliminated from the 2002 Royal Rumble. He might have a shot.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

Are all of the WWE movies as bad as The Marine?

It showed up in my free On Demand so I watched it, and if it didn't have a couple good Robert Patrick moments it might have been the worst movie I've ever seen. If they're all this bad, I need to see more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

Are all of the WWE movies as bad as The Marine?

It showed up in my free On Demand so I watched it, and if it didn't have a couple good Robert Patrick moments it might have been the worst movie I've ever seen. If they're all this bad, I need to see more.

In short: yes
In long: definitely yes