Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.
I'd say probably either playing their tunes back to back using whatever program they want, or if they like to be creative on stage, maybe adding a lot of effects and stuff on top of what they already have?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bedtime for dogs
Jun 23, 2005

lollin irl
I read daft punk have always kept a live philosophy to their sets, ever since the early days..

and theres this:
http://www.dogsonacid.com/showthread.php?threadid=519734

Dicky B
Mar 23, 2004

I don't much care for Tim Exile's work but he has one of the coolest live setups. I'm seeing more and more artists taking this kind of approach to performing live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9r38r3BIgew

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

mezzir posted:

Absolutely not my kind of music, but the mix sounds very professional, good job!

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

mezzir posted:

Awesome as always mezzir. If you don't mind me asking, what do you have on your master bus?

That Wicked Walrus
Sep 24, 2010

you've gotta keep movin'
http://soundcloud.com/mayeah/chop-shop

Feedback if you please :D Still not completely finished.

Shes In Parties
Apr 30, 2009

Imperialism is a manifestation of state terrorism.

Got around to actually finishing my Mixdown on that dubstep track I posted a week or two ago.

mezzir
Jul 1, 2007

I'ma rub your ass in the moonshine.
Let's take it back to seventy-nine...
Aw thanks you two :3:

And iZotope Ozone is on the master because I'm a horrible and lazy human being, though I think I just used a bit of the harmonic exciter and loudness maximizer, most of the work is on the individual tracks.

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.

mezzir posted:

Aw thanks you two :3:

And iZotope Ozone is on the master because I'm a horrible and lazy human being, though I think I just used a bit of the harmonic exciter and loudness maximizer, most of the work is on the individual tracks.

drat really? I can never get my songs sounding "pro" enough, or even close to the sound quality of your track. Any tips? I take it a lot of careful compression and bussing?

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

GbrushTwood posted:

drat really? I can never get my songs sounding "pro" enough, or even close to the sound quality of your track. Any tips? I take it a lot of careful compression and bussing?

I'm still quite new to music production, so take this with a grain of salt, but I found that stereo imaging / panning plays a big role in getting a clear mix aswell.

Computer Jones
Jun 22, 2005

Finally finished another track today. Seems like I often post sketches in ML but then I finish something and don't tell anyone. Not today, I guess!
http://tx87.bandcamp.com/track/dustlands

mezzir posted:

Nice stuff, man.

Stravinskus
Feb 19, 2008

SpaceMost posted:

So I have a somewhat ignorant question -
When a DJ/DJs like Daft Punk or Major Lazer are performing life, what are they actually doing on stage? Some electronic music sounds way too complicated to reproduce live, but I know they aren't simply beat-matching their songs or hitting "play" on their iTunes playlist.

I've only ever been to one electronic music thing and it was WEMF and I was a security guard, so I didn't really get to watch/pay attention to what the DJs were doing.

For Major Lazer, Diplo just djs in Serato and Switch makes lazer sounds and poo poo. Daft Punk had their whole set programmed in Ableton on their last tour so they could sync up their visuals. Pretty opposite sides of the spectrum.

Gr4vyB04t
Jan 31, 2010

Hey gurl, hey.

SpaceMost posted:

So I have a somewhat ignorant question -
When a DJ/DJs like Daft Punk or Major Lazer are performing life, what are they actually doing on stage? Some electronic music sounds way too complicated to reproduce live, but I know they aren't simply beat-matching their songs or hitting "play" on their iTunes playlist.

I've only ever been to one electronic music thing and it was WEMF and I was a security guard, so I didn't really get to watch/pay attention to what the DJs were doing.

I have seen everything from artists dragging along full live bands to just hitting play in Abelton and pumping their fist at the crowd. It really does very wildly from artist to artist. Usually though (at least in my experience) there is backing track and the artist usually (this is probably an over simplification) does some live drums, bass, or synth lines over the top.

Gr4vyB04t fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Dec 6, 2010

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I got another question for any of you guys, and it may seem like a pretty silly question, but I've gotten advice here before that a good way to beef up a synth line is to duplicate the channel and pan each of the tracks hard to the left and the right, respectively.

What exactly happens when you do this? Panning duplicate tracks to opposite ends vs having one channel sitting in the dead middle. Is there a perceived wideness that is gained through this technique? And does it actually open up space in the middle of the mix?

breaks
May 12, 2001

It depends.

Assuming you're working digitally, if the panned tracks are identical (eg. duplicated, unprocessed mono audio), then either nothing will happen or you will notice some increase or decrease in volume, depending on pan law, whether you're comparing two panned vs one center or vs two center, etc. In any case, there won't be any change other than the amplitude, as either way you're sending identical copies of the audio to both channels.

If the tracks are not identical then you will get some kind of stereo effect depending on what the differences are exactly. The less correlation between the two channels, the wider it will sound. You can exert control over the width and location by moving the pans around. Hard left and hard right just amount to "as wide as possible" given whatever differences exist.

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

Just picked up Logic and Massive. Anything else recommended (that's fairly cheap)?

Friction
Aug 15, 2001

zeldadude posted:

Any feedback on the latest mix of my new song is welcome, I really can't get the sub levels right. :(

http://soundcloud.com/navidnb/sun-wip-11-27
Thanks any takers!

What did you use for those three chord strikes at 1:32 mark? :drat:

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

Just picked up Logic and Massive. Anything else recommended (that's fairly cheap)?

NI's FM8 (actually you shoulda bought the whole Komplete bundle, since it doesn't cost much more than the cost of Massive + FM8 together and it's by far the best price:value package in the entire music software business).

Also throwin in a vote for Albino http://www.robpapen.com/albino-3.html

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

GbrushTwood posted:

What exactly happens when you do this? Panning duplicate tracks to opposite ends vs having one channel sitting in the dead middle. Is there a perceived wideness that is gained through this technique? And does it actually open up space in the middle of the mix?
What I do to widen tracks is to duplicate, pan, and delay one side by like 10 ms. This creates a psychoacoustic widening effect.

Pantsmaster Bill posted:

DCAM Synth Squad from FXPansion. They're actually kind of strange to program, in my opinion, but they sound amazing. There are demos so you can check them out with no risk.

Vector 7 fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Dec 8, 2010

place
Jun 19, 2008

place fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 10, 2017

hj henhemjamib
Sep 16, 2007
simply follow these steps and you be Whammin
I usually use a very fast, shallow stereo chorus. You have to be careful about phase cancellation, though (it's especially noticable on bass).

E1M5
Feb 6, 2007
I'm having a hell of a time mastering my tracks. When it comes to obtaining that commercial loudness, I'm sort of lost. Where should I even start? I'm using FL Studio 9.7 beta, and everybody swears that Maximus is amazing, yet I don't see much in it besides a really great compressor.

Osh
Jan 5, 2007
Say, Halo my Quake 3 in Bungie for Half-Life 2!

E1M5 posted:

I'm having a hell of a time mastering my tracks. When it comes to obtaining that commercial loudness, I'm sort of lost. Where should I even start? I'm using FL Studio 9.7 beta, and everybody swears that Maximus is amazing, yet I don't see much in it besides a really great compressor.

I'm going to jump on the Maximus bandwagon and say that it's amazing. For every track I make now, one of the first things I do is put a Maximus on the master mixer insert and select the "Clear master RMS" preset. I don't quite understand it yet, so I'm not sure how to sell you on it, but it works like a charm for me. I feel like I'm cheating when I use it.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom

hj henhemjamib posted:

I usually use a very fast, shallow stereo chorus. You have to be careful about phase cancellation, though (it's especially noticable on bass).

Isn't it "best practise" to keep bass completely dead centre?

parade
Mar 5, 2010

E1M5 posted:

I'm not much of an expert, so take this with a grain of salt, but when I can't get "commercial loudness" in my tracks I often find it's because of a fault in my mix, not my mastering. As an example, if I'm pushing my bass too hard because of the terrible standing waves in my bedroom, I might be triggering my compressor's threshold from the excess bass energy and simply lowering the overall volume of my track instead of reducing the dynamic range as I had intended.

Here's an exercise I like to do sometimes (I'll try to keep it DAW-agnostic):
  • Find the chorus to a reference track that is sonically similar to mine (but "commercial loud"), and pull it into my project so I can A/B against it easily.
  • Bring its gain down to say, -20dBfs, and increase my soundcard output by 20dB. Now if I play it, I hear it at the same volume as if it were playing normally. (I'll avoid playing my own track without bringing its volume down also, since it'll otherwise be 20dB louder).
  • Since I have 20dB headroom to play with now, I can mix my own track focusing on making it sound as loud as the reference track just with my faders, and not have to mess with compressors or limiters.
  • Once they sound equally loud, the only difference between my track and the reference track is that the reference track peaks at -20dBfs while mine probably eats into headroom. So now the task becomes using my mastering tools to reduce the dynamic range, but instead of worrying about making the track louder, I just have to worry about what sonic compromises I'm making by e.g. cutting transients down with a limiter.
  • After I've squashed things as much as I feel comfortable with, I can turn my audio interface volume back down to normal and bring the overall track gain up to near unity gain.

There's no guarantee that I can get quite as loud with this process; professional mastering engineers have many tools at their disposal to transparently reduce dynamic range. But at least I can hear what my track sounds like on equal footing with a commercial track and hopefully identify what separates mine from it.

parade fucked around with this message at 11:17 on Dec 9, 2010

massive spider
Dec 6, 2006

How can I get a voice synthesiser for ableton (pc) I know theres one for fruity loops. Is there a good free vst out there?

zeldadude
Nov 24, 2004

OH SNAP!

Friction posted:

What did you use for those three chord strikes at 1:32 mark? :drat:

It was just a sample from Loopmasters Pure Drum n bass but there are alot of sample packs that have similar sounds if you just change the ADSR.
Also changed a TON, basically finished it. Got some plans for releasing it so this stream is temporary. Still love any advice, as long as its not about the style of the tune as Im pretty set on that. mixing and stuff like that is cool.

[old link was here] just got an email from a label, keeping it under wraps. yes!

zeldadude fucked around with this message at 01:51 on Dec 13, 2010

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

So I figured this would probably be the best place to put this question.. I'm in need of a decent stand to hold my macbook on during live performances. Ideally I'd want it to be high enough so I could put my APC under it and have access to all of the controls comfortably. What do you guys use?

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

I r Pat posted:

So I figured this would probably be the best place to put this question.. I'm in need of a decent stand to hold my macbook on during live performances. Ideally I'd want it to be high enough so I could put my APC under it and have access to all of the controls comfortably. What do you guys use?

http://www.google.com/products/cata...ved=0CEMQ8wIwAA

http://www.audiolines.com/DJ-Gear/Turntables/Turntable-Stands/Crane-The-Crane-Stand

Either would work for that

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

I use the first one, the Uber Stand, and there's something weird about it. You need zipties to hold it up. Sounds crazy, yeah? Well, it's true. It comes with them and everything, I just think it's absurd that the engineers didn't put a latch there. I guess the zip ties work, so it's not really absurd, just weird and not what I would of done if I had been designing it.

dj bobby bieber
Oct 9, 2003

the fanciest whale

Vector 7 posted:

I use the first one, the Uber Stand, and there's something weird about it. You need zipties to hold it up. Sounds crazy, yeah? Well, it's true. It comes with them and everything, I just think it's absurd that the engineers didn't put a latch there. I guess the zip ties work, so it's not really absurd, just weird and not what I would of done if I had been designing it.

I have it too, but I never ever use zipties *shrugs*

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Hopefully this isn't too off topic: I'm trying to find a good budget controller to tap out some DnB with. The two I'm thinking about are the padKontrol and MPD24.

They both look good. The padKontrol looks a little more spartan, but I see used ones hitting Craigs at ~100-120CDN. MPD24 looks like it has a lot more to twiddle with, but I don't really see myself needing more than one or two knobs. I also don't see myself ever really using the XY pad on the Korg. Things like the Akai's screen make it nice to look at, but is it really all that useful if you have the DAW window open right above the pad?

My budget is kind of leaning me towards the Korg, but I'm curious whether anyone has used both and can nudge me in one direction or the other.

DAW is Reason 3 for now. I bought it way back when and I doubt I'd get much more use out of something more modern until I have something to show for my effort.

edit: There's also controllers like the LPD8 or nanoPad, but while they're nice and cheap they look a little weird and I'm not sure that thin little bar would be comfortable to use.

some kinda jackal fucked around with this message at 10:21 on Dec 12, 2010

Meliv
Nov 1, 2008
My college just started running a 'DJ Club'. As someone with no musical background but with a love of Dance music I decided to turn up. The guy taking us works part time at the college as well as being a somewhat successful DJ in our area (Friday night spot on the local radio station)

We went in, he showed us how to beat match with CDJs and that's pretty much all there was time for. I really enjoyed it and I'd like to get more into it before the next time it runs. Where do I start as a complete newbie? I'd like to look at some DAW software and maybe start making my own tracks but the software is so dense to a complete beginner. Can anyone recommend some good novice resources for DJing and producing your own tracks?

wayfinder
Jul 7, 2003
Here's something new i'm (as always) unsure about.

wayfinder - asteroid abuse (flash player)

I guess it's progressive house or something.

Any and all comments are welcome, this isn't final.

I r Pat
Nov 16, 2006

Thanks for the suggestions. My thing with the Ubserstand is that it doesn't have an adjustable anything (height or angle on the top part) and the Crane is like $150.. I guess I'll keep searching for the perfect one!

snorch
Jul 27, 2009

wayfinder posted:

The main synth lines are awesomely tight and smooth sounding, but towards the end it becomes just a bit too much for my taste. Then again I've got a completely unrelated headache right now, so maybe it's just me.

Quincy Smallvoice
Mar 18, 2006

Bitches leave

wayfinder posted:

I was listening to some new tracks of my drive when i started this and actually forgot about it, so I wondered what it was I had downloaded. So I guess you're getting better!

you could drop that synth sequence that starts off the track, the soft repeating one, when the fat synthchords drop. it sounds out of place, and you could probably make those stabs abit more interesting. syncopate them with something else, the ask and answer deal you know. BWAAAP BEP BEP BEP etc - some more drum variation as well - but I guess thats just a WIP deal.

Again, you are rapidly improving - not quite there yet in terms of interest through a whole song, but im watching you.

edit: on second listen, funking up the bassline more bounce and more bite, and this could be good indeed.

Vector 7
Sep 29, 2010

2CAudio made a bomb new reverb.

http://www.2caudio.com/products/breeze/

I just bought Eos to replace Aether because I hated everything they fixed with Breeze. Now Breeze seems to be my favorite reverb.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GbrushTwood
Jul 18, 2004
Mighty Pirate.
I've been doing a lot of reading online to try to step my game up to the next level, and I came across this guide to EQ'ing.

Mind you, it won't tell you "Cut at 250 hz, boost at 400 for snare, etc etc" but it lays out the concept of good eq'ing in pretty straightforward terms that might be useful to someone

http://www.dnbscene.com/article/88-thinking-inside-the-box-a-complete-eq-tutorial/1

• Locked thread