Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

Freeze posted:

My library lets you borrow eBooks for free, and their site says that they're compatible with essentially everything except the Kindle (format is Adobe EPUB). Calibre sounds like it provides free, easy, high-quality conversions though, so that solves my main problem with the Kindle.

Thanks for the help.

If you borrow it, it has some kind of DRM, which means you need to jump through hoops to get it to work. Calibre is not some magic machine that makes DRM go away.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

Freeze posted:

Well it's like $40 difference, and I can't get the Nook (which is what I really wanted) anyways. On top of that, the Kindle's current estimated shipping date to Canada is in late January.

So will Calibre let me convert books I buy from anywhere to the Kindle format? And does it do good conversions? I was reading somewhere about how some ebook conversion programs just convert the book to a lovely PDF file that's annoying to read.

If you want dude I can buy either and ship it to you (does the Nook work in Canada at all?), I would just have to get the funds upfront, I don't have the funds to put the money down myself.

I downloaded a PDF of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I already own the paperback, not paying again for it) and converted it to Mobi. Slightly annoying, and you have chapter page markers in irritating places, but not the end of the world and after the first 50 pages i stopped noticing.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Freeze
Jan 2, 2006

I've never seen it written so neatly

Duckman2008 posted:

If you want dude I can buy either and ship it to you (does the Nook work in Canada at all?), I would just have to get the funds upfront, I don't have the funds to put the money down myself.

I downloaded a PDF of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (I already own the paperback, not paying again for it) and converted it to Mobi. Slightly annoying, and you have chapter page markers in irritating places, but not the end of the world and after the first 50 pages i stopped noticing.

Thanks for the offer, I may just take you up on that. I'm going to think on it for a little bit longer first though.

From what I've read, the Nook works fine in Canada (except for 3G, but I didn't want the 3G version anyways). Link about it is here if anyone is interested: http://www.digitalhome.ca/forum/showthread.php?t=125672

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Duckman2008 posted:

Honestly though, PDF is the worst possible format to convert out from. Going from like ePub to Mobi is generally almost perfect, but those drat PDFs.. :argh:

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007
I am so glad I left the restricted Kindle world (K1, K2, KDX, and K3 - had em all) for the nook and nook color.

Especially since google books is ePub. Amazon better pay attention - their little restricted garden will become dangerous as consumers learn their choices are locked.

The nook is great with the 1.5 update, and the NC is an awesome piece of rooted goodness.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

hotsauce posted:

I am so glad I left the restricted Kindle world (K1, K2, KDX, and K3 - had em all) for the nook and nook color.

Especially since google books is ePub. Amazon better pay attention - their little restricted garden will become dangerous as consumers learn their choices are locked.

The nook is great with the 1.5 update, and the NC is an awesome piece of rooted goodness.

What are you smoking? The Nook is just as restricted as the Kindle is. It can't even read mobipocket, an open standard.

madprocess fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 9, 2010

Grawl
Aug 28, 2008

Do the D.A.N.C.E
1234, fight!
Stick to the B.E.A.T
Get ready to ignite
You were such a P.Y.T
Catching all the lights
Just easy as A.B.C
That's how we make it right

madprocess posted:

What are you smoking? The Nook is just as restricted as the Kindle is. It can't even read mobipocket, an open standard.

Mobi is not an open standard. Or widely used.

Feel free to dream on though.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
IIRC The Kobo is around 99$ in canada, and there are also refurb sony 600 and 300s at some places for around 100$ too.

hotsauce
Jan 14, 2007

madprocess posted:

I borrow local library books on my nooks. I buy Google books on my nooks. I buy other web ePubs on my nooks.

I wish you the best on a Kindle. The very best. That ecosystem is locked the eff down. NO thanks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
On the kindle 3 is there any way to make the little progress bar on the bottom not show while reading? It's kind of annoying and it's the only complaint I have with the device.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Grawl posted:

Mobi is not an open standard. Or widely used.

Feel free to dream on though.

hotsauce posted:

I borrow local library books on my nooks. I buy Google books on my nooks. I buy other web ePubs on my nooks.

I wish you the best on a Kindle. The very best. That ecosystem is locked the eff down. NO thanks.

So you're both bad at reading or something? It's not "locked the gently caress down" because a single format doesn't work on it. And Mobipocket is an open standard that is part of the Open eBook Publication Structure. And if Mobipocket is so "not widely used" why does the most popular reader on the market use it, as well as most readers that aren't Sony and B&N? Hell I have Mobipocket purchased books from back on my Palm VIIx in 2000.

Again I say, if Amazon not supporting one format makes them locked down, the nook must be locked down because it doesn't support a different format. You can't argue with that in any logical way.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

So you're both bad at reading or something? It's not "locked the gently caress down" because a single format doesn't work on it. And Mobipocket is an open standard that is part of the Open eBook Publication Structure. And if Mobipocket is so "not widely used" why does the most popular reader on the market use it, as well as most readers that aren't Sony and B&N? Hell I have Mobipocket purchased books from back on my Palm VIIx in 2000.

Again I say, if Amazon not supporting one format makes them locked down, the nook must be locked down because it doesn't support a different format. You can't argue with that in any logical way.

Amazon does not support a format that EVERY other reader supports. In reverse Nook doesn't support mobi, okay, but nor do a lot of other readers. Not supporting the format the industry is attempting to standardize is going against the grain for personal interest.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

benisntfunny posted:

Amazon does not support a format that EVERY other reader supports. In reverse Nook doesn't support mobi, okay, but nor do a lot of other readers. Not supporting the format the industry is attempting to standardize is going against the grain for personal interest.

It is not true that every other reader supports EPUB, sorry, only most. Incidentally most readers besides Sony and B&N support Mobi. And it's completely retarded for people to cry ☭卐LOCKDOWN FASCISM FROM HERR BEZOS卐☭ because the Kindle doesn't support EPUB currently.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

The Something Awful Forums > Discussion > Inspect Your Gadgets > YES (Your eReader Sucks)

Have some Egon Schiele screen savers. I think they work on Nooks and Kindles.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

It's also worth noting that EPUB has really only started to appear on "every reader" in the past year or so, and mobipocket has been around since the prehistoric days of ebooks.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

It is not true that every other reader supports EPUB, sorry, only most. Incidentally most readers besides Sony and B&N support Mobi. And it's completely retarded for people to cry ☭卐LOCKDOWN FASCISM FROM HERR BEZOS卐☭ because the Kindle doesn't support EPUB currently.

Sorry, could you tell me one major reader which does not support ePub outside of Kindle?

Sony, Kobo, iPad, Nook, iRex, that piece of poo poo on dell's site someone posted on the last page.... all of them support ePub. Oh yeah and Google's new book purchase thing. ePub.

Actually it is true. Kindle is the only one who doesn't support ePub. Sony, iPad, Nook and Kobo do not support Mobi. Aside from Amazon's use of the format it's basically defunct.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Diabolik900 posted:

It's also worth noting that EPUB has really only started to appear on "every reader" in the past year or so, and mobipocket has been around since the prehistoric days of ebooks.

So other manufactures have conformed to a norm and amazon hasn't. It's like giving your device WMA compatibility only when everyone else is using Mp3.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

ePub or mobipocket, the container is irrelevant.

What is becoming increasingly relevant is most non-Amazon bookstores are standardizing on Adobe DRM applied to ePub to sell their books.

Right now, it doesn't matter a whole lot since there really aren't any exclusives to any one book store. I do think Google could change the picture somewhat though if they decide to throw their weight around. I really don't expect amazon to licence kindle compatible DRM to Google to create a competitor on their own devices and I really don't see Amazon licensing Adobe Digital Editions as it would give Kindle owners access to several large alternative bookstores. It's not something that really needs to be resolved if publishers don't play favorites with eBook Stores. But, I would worry a bit about publishers getting it in their heads that the best way to secure their books is with Adoble Digital Editions (false as it may be) since "everyone is using it" which could provide resistance to future releases on Amazon's store.

bull3964 fucked around with this message at 14:12 on Dec 9, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

benisntfunny posted:

So other manufactures have conformed to a norm and amazon hasn't. It's like giving your device WMA compatibility only when everyone else is using Mp3.

How is it the norm when most of the market is using Kindle and Mobipocket? You're like that guy who's mad mp3 players play mp3s and not OGG Vorbis.

z0331
Oct 2, 2003

Holtby thy name
So, just to clarify for the millionth time cause I'm dumb - If I get any epub file, Calibre will be able to convert it to whatever format Kindle uses no problem and I can read it? I'm just talking basic books like if I wanted to buy something off another site. Is that correct? Any Google Books document or anything from a third party, Calibre can handle?

I doubt I'll be doing much other than Amazon or Gutenburg, but I just want to know, in the event of getting something from elsewhere, I will probably be able to read it so long as I use Calibre.

Edit: Also, were Amazon to, for whatever reason, decide to support epub, could they handle it through a simple software update?

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

z0331 posted:

So, just to clarify for the millionth time cause I'm dumb - If I get any epub file, Calibre will be able to convert it to whatever format Kindle uses no problem and I can read it? I'm just talking basic books like if I wanted to buy something off another site. Is that correct? Any Google Books document or anything from a third party, Calibre can handle?

I doubt I'll be doing much other than Amazon or Gutenburg, but I just want to know, in the event of getting something from elsewhere, I will probably be able to read it so long as I use Calibre.

Edit: Also, were Amazon to, for whatever reason, decide to support epub, could they handle it through a simple software update?

There's no problem at all, this argument about epub is stupid and misleading. Buy the epub, strip the DRM, convert it in Calibre, right click and mail it to your Kindle, read it on your Kindle. Who the hell cares?

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
As long as the epub is NOT drm'd, then you can convert it.

If it does have DRM, you need to strip it before you can convert it.

No idea how this works on library books.

The arguments are pretty retarded for pro and con mobi/epub. Get an ereader that you like, that has the functions you want. I spent the money and got a prs650 cause it has the collections options I want. Not many people need the ability to sort em in order like I do, so a nook works fine, or a kindle, or a kobo.

Just pick the reader that fits with what you want to do with minimal difficulty and leave it at that.

The k3 is an awesome ereader, the nook is great, and the sony is fantastic. The only real different options on them are a: the file types used, and b: where you can buy the books from. There are a few more epub ready stores than mobi ready stores (new google shop, borders/kobo's online store, etc) since they use that adobe drm.

Bottom line, if you want an ereader for reading, anything is good. If you want one for checking out books, make sure it supports the file type that the library uses. If you want one that has a basic browser and some online access, get a kindle.

Trust me, when you get the right reader, with the options you want, it's a loving joy.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

madprocess posted:

How is it the norm when most of the market is using Kindle and Mobipocket? You're like that guy who's mad mp3 players play mp3s and not OGG Vorbis.

Oh I see. Since Amazon is the biggest eBook seller they should just dictate what everyone else uses. But are they? Hasn't iPad/iBooks outsold Kindle already? They will soon if they haven't.

And no, your argument is not accurate. It's more like the guy complaining that a web site doesn't work in Firefox because someone coded it to only work in IE since it's the biggest which by your definition is the market norm.

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

To further that point, amazon is much less successful in Europe, to say that they have a near monopoly is very US centric.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!
Mobi and ePub are equivalent formats, both are compliant with the Open eBook Publication Standard. The difference is the DRM formats used by proprietary stores. Sony dropped their proprietary format and hopped on the ePub/Adobe Digital Editions bandwagon shortly after the nook was released. Prior to that the major open standard was Mobi, with or without the Mobi DRM.

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

benisntfunny posted:

Oh I see. Since Amazon is the biggest eBook seller they should just dictate what everyone else uses. But are they? Hasn't iPad/iBooks outsold Kindle already? They will soon if they haven't.

And no, your argument is not accurate. It's more like the guy complaining that a web site doesn't work in Firefox because someone coded it to only work in IE since it's the biggest which by your definition is the market norm.

Book format doesn't matter. They're all just ways of putting a bunch of HTML files together in a way a simple reader can process them, and flipping back and forth between formats is trivial and as far as I can tell, lossless.

DRM matters, and what you should be bitching about. Adobe has their Adept format used by a couple of ereaders using ePub. Apple has their Fairplay DRM used on their ePubs. And Amazon has their DRM, based on the original Mobi DRM. None of which are open or a standard.

So using iBooks as a argument for :siren: ePUB SUPERIORITY :siren: is a bit weak since Apple uses its own DRM and you can't move a nook book into iBooks without breaking the DMCA in the US by stripping the DRM. Also, the news stories talking about the iPad being the most popular reader don't talk about what is being used to read the books. There's iBooks, the iPad Kindle app, the B&N nook app, Goodreader, Stanza, etc.

Unless, of course, you're just trolling. Which is seeming more and more likely.

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

They're not dictating what everyone should use. They're using the format that was most prevalent until about a year ago.

As far as iPad/iBooks vs. Kindle, I don't actually have the numbers, but I think it depends on whether you're looking at hardware or book sales. I would think that Apple has dominated hardware sales. How many of those people bought an iPad to read books, though? It's hard to compare a dedicated eReader to a multipurpose tablet. If you compare the number of books sold, I'm pretty sure Amazon is selling a lot more. If anyone has the actual sales numbers and can prove me wrong, I will gladly admit my mistake.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Far from scientific, and the article is from August, but here it is anyway.

http://thenextweb.com/media/2010/08/22/kindle-outselling-ibooks-60-to-1/

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Do people that strip the library DRM really "return" the book after that?

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

The Aphasian posted:

Do people that strip the library DRM really "return" the book after that?

Library DRM just means that your license to access the file expires after a period of time.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I meant people that don't have an epub device that have to strip DRM to covert it.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
There is no "returning" involved with ebooks. When you check one out you get a file where the DRM is set to expire after a period of time. After that happens you might as well delete the file because it is useless, or you can keep it forever if you are the obsessive packrat type.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

I am a terrible person who does not write clearly.

Do people who strip the DRM from library ebooks to convert for use on other readers follow the spirit of library loans and delete the files when they would have originally expired?

I would try to, but historically I've had to wait weeks or months for audio or epub books from my library, and it always seems like More Embarrassing SciFi Adventures: Book II of the Virginity Quest comes in before Book I: Escape from the Basement.

I understand the reasoning behind DRM (although I believe you should always make it easier for people to buy and use things legally than just pirate), but a limited number of digital copies at a publicly funded library never made sense to me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Bottom Liner posted:

On the kindle 3 is there any way to make the little progress bar on the bottom not show while reading? It's kind of annoying and it's the only complaint I have with the device.

Quoting this for hope of a solution.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

benisntfunny posted:

Yeah, only Apple fanboys would think that iBooks is selling the most. And yeah, the Kindle certainly isn't quite as open as the Nook, uses its own formatting, etc. That's why both are listed in the OP with their ups and downs, and one advantage of the Nook is that it is open and more easily rootable. This discussion is stupid.

Content:
I have a reserved post under the OP. Should I post people's screen saver's there?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Bottom Liner posted:

There is nothing that I know of, either through the vanilla options or a hack. You could register and suggest it on the MobileRead Kindle dev subforum. I do not see why it would be complicated to implement an on/off hotkey, just that it hasn't been a hack in high demand.

Duckman2008 posted:

I have a reserved post under the OP. Should I post people's screen saver's there?

Yes please.

Ethereal
Mar 8, 2003

frameset posted:

To further that point, amazon is much less successful in Europe, to say that they have a near monopoly is very US centric.

Currently they don't dominate Europe, but they only have 4 countries where there are landing pages. (They just opened up Italy in Thanksgiving).

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

fordan posted:

Unless, of course, you're just trolling. Which is seeming more and more likely.

He's not trolling, he's just insanely pro Apple/anti Amazon.

When Nook was announced, he said it would overtake the market. When iPad was announced, he sold his Nook and said that iPad would sweep the market. He also argues against e-ink saying that LCD eye strain is overblown.

Bottom Liner posted:

I think that alt-f makes the screen fullscreen.

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Dec 9, 2010

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

Sporadic posted:

He's not trolling, he's just insanely pro Apple/anti Amazon.

When Nook was announced, he said it would overtake the market. When iPad was announced, he sold his Nook and said that iPad would sweep the market. He also argues against e-ink saying that LCD eye strain is overblown.

Had the iPad not come out the nook might have taken over, it was a better product, for less money from an established book seller that the publishers were already comfortable selling to. You have to remember that no one saw the iPad coming, at best people expected an OS X version of the Windows tablets that had been out forever, not an industry changing device.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Atasi posted:

Had the iPad not come out the nook might have taken over, it was a better product, for less money from an established book seller that the publishers were already comfortable selling to. You have to remember that no one saw the iPad coming, at best people expected an OS X version of the Windows tablets that had been out forever, not an industry changing device.

I think the idea that the nook was a better product than the Kindle 2 is highly debatable and the assertion that no one saw the iPad coming is ridiculous. The iPad's level of success might be a surprise to most people, but people had been talking about an Apple tablet for years, and all the rumors had it running the iPhone OS for months prior to its announcement.