Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Random Stranger posted:

You do need to successfully fish once for the shaman fish.

You don't actually. Mess up enough times and the game will give you one. I did this but then went and completed every fishing quest. You can make TONS of money that way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

general chaos
May 20, 2001
I did not purchase the Seafront map. No quest marker was visible to me.

I built up the quality of the story far too much by listening to this game's praises here. Expected too much out of the second act which hurt my opinion of the game in general. I enjoy some of the implications Kaine holding in the fact that she can actually understand what the shades are all saying / their apparent sentience. The corny interactions between Weiss and Dadass remain the saving grace of the narrative.

general chaos fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Nov 27, 2010

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

Started playing the game last night after picking it up for $15, and I just did the fishing part after reading all the reviewers bitching about it a few months back.
That's it? Really? Walk to the red X, cast lure, press A, and pull away?
How is that hard enough to make people completely give up the game?

Cityinthesea
Aug 7, 2009

general chaos posted:

I did not purchase the Seafront map. No quest marker was visible to me.

I built up the quality of the story far too much by listening to this game's praises here. Expected too much out of the second act which hurt my opinion of the game in general. I enjoy some of the implications Kaine holding in the fact that she can actually understand what the shades are all saying / their apparent sentience. The corny interactions between Weiss and Dadass remain the saving grace of the narrative.

trust me, playthrough 2 adds a lot to the narrative of the second half (that is the only thing you play, really). It would be a disservice to only play it once.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Kaboobi posted:

Started playing the game last night after picking it up for $15, and I just did the fishing part after reading all the reviewers bitching about it a few months back.

Reviewers are whiny shits that suck at video games.

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation

Kaboobi posted:

I can only assume everyone who complained about it did it in the wrong place, where it is extremely difficult at the initial fishing skill level. I understand because I made that mistake too, though I didn't made like a 10 minute video to rant about it.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
I'm up to the manor, and so far this game has been an action RPG, platformer, text adventure, bullet hell shooter, and now Resident Evil. I've never seen so many genres mashed together at once. :psyduck:

Crappy Jack
Nov 21, 2005

We got some serious shit to discuss.

Cityinthesea posted:

trust me, playthrough 2 adds a lot to the narrative of the second half (that is the only thing you play, really). It would be a disservice to only play it once.

It really should be in the thread title, but you have not beaten NIER until you've played the New Game +.

Mr. Swoon
Nov 25, 2003

ALL WE DO IS PARTY

PunkBoy posted:

I'm up to the manor, and so far this game has been an action RPG, platformer, text adventure, bullet hell shooter, and now Resident Evil. I've never seen so many genres mashed together at once. :psyduck:

And if you get the DLC, there's also a rail shooter (don't get the DLC, seriously it's not worth it).

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

Mr. Swoon posted:

And if you get the DLC, there's also a rail shooter (don't get the DLC, seriously it's not worth it).

Aw hell yeah it's worth it

seriously don't listen to me i bought both versions of this game on ps3, got platinum in both, and bought the dlc on both

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mr. Swoon posted:

I thought it was worthwhile but I also really like action games making you use your movesets in platformer-style mannerisms (see: the lava cavern and one other DLC stage I can't recall the name of).

sgbyou
Feb 3, 2005

I'm just a shadow in the light you leave behind.

Mr. Swoon posted:

(don't get the DLC, seriously it's not worth it).

It's worth it for the music alone.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
The music definitely is the best part of the DLC.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

So good in fact that they're releasing it on a second OST this month.

God, I hope that hits the UK iTunes.

thetrin
May 4, 2009

I pull down the curtain, wantin to do me some dirtin aint nuthin better then jerkin my gerkin so I start with some flirtin

But my magic find aint working so I can't do no spurtin its got Wirt's feelins all hurtin, and his wooden leg stops all perking
That's this month? I'm definitely getting the second OST. The Nier DLC music was loving awesome.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Hells yes, dance mix tracks. Due out in 5 days

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've found the first 7 fishing quests to be reeeeeeally easy. The Tutorial Document about how to fish isn't wrong: it says to hold the stick opposite the fish. The key is to keep your eye on the splashing animation. Yeah, if you just hold back and only move the stick when the character moves, it's hard, but if you fine-tune the stick position the entire time, it's incredibly easy.
But oh my God gently caress the quest to get Pink Moonflower seeds. Whoever said this game is mocking you for trying to 100% it is absolutely right.
The game is amazing if you keep in mind "If a sidequest is annoying/hard, just skip it".

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
My friend who I recommended Nier to just finished everything. His response:

(10:23:44 AM) Friend's AIM Name: You killed my soul!

mox
Nov 15, 2003
just beat playthrough B. the moment i decided to stop doing all of the stupid sidequests the game instantly went from being mediocre (to the point that I almost quit) to being the best game I've played in a long while.

So glad i made that decision, and it's such a shame the developers decided to include all that crap. Worst part of the game by far.

I feel like this may be a game that people look back on 10 years from now and realize they missed out on something special.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre

mox posted:

just beat playthrough B. the moment i decided to stop doing all of the stupid sidequests the game instantly went from being mediocre (to the point that I almost quit) to being the best game I've played in a long while.

So glad i made that decision, and it's such a shame the developers decided to include all that crap. Worst part of the game by far.

I feel like this may be a game that people look back on 10 years from now and realize they missed out on something special.

I've had people tell me the EXACT same thing except referring to achievements and trophies in general.

Gatecrasher
May 21, 2003
qwerty
Just finished the second playthrough. This is probably the most depressing game I have ever played.

Beepy :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

mox posted:

The worst part is that maybe 10% of the sidequests actually have an interesting bit of story/atmosphere but there's no way of knowing which ones.
NIER is a game about games, and it hates you.
If you remove all but the best sidequests, it's easily up there with Ico and Shadow of the Collosus.

Zeerust
May 1, 2008

They must have guessed, once or twice - guessed and refused to believe - that everything, always, collectively, had been moving toward that purified shape latent in the sky, that shape of no surprise, no second chance, no return.
I think the most interesting sidequest was the one where you had to find the missing girl in Facade, and you find out her boyfriend accidentally killed her and dumped her body in the desert but she turns up unscathed at her home with no idea of what anyone was talking about or who her boyfriend is. I always wondered what the deal was with that. Was she claimed by her Shade while she was bleeding out in the desert or something?

Xythar
Dec 22, 2004

echoes of a contemporary nation
Yeah I always expected that would get resolved somehow but I guess it wasn't?

general chaos
May 20, 2001

Xythar posted:

Yeah I always expected that would get resolved somehow but I guess it wasn't?

There was a quest in Act 2 that touched on it. She's an undercover shade. You kill her after finding her a few times in the desert.

I had beaten the game twice at the time of my last post, but I suppose I didn't make that clear. I enjoyed the throwbacks to other genres and a few of the tiny mindbenders, but the story as a whole was dissatisfying to me, personally.

Music was still fantastic.

Syvalion
Mar 19, 2005

You're all so precious :3:
It looks like there's a drama CD release planned in Japan:

http://blog.esuteru.com/archives/1872748.html (affiliate links/images may be NWS and/or embarassing otaku poo poo)

Due out in April. It appears Yokoo is involved in the story.

For those unfamiliar with the term, a drama CD is basically like a radio play.

After the spectacular work on Grimoire NieR, hopefully the fanbase will come together to translate this one as well.

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Famitsu.com came out with a few new details about the NieR Replicant drama CD, yeah it's Replicant. Sorry.
  • Price: 3990 yen + tax.
  • Due out March 24th, 2011
  • Will portray parts of the world not seen in the game
  • Cast: Nier (youth), Nier (adult), Yonah, Kaine, Emile, Devola, Popola, Tyrann
  • First print copies will apparently come with "bonus tracks" which could mean more music!
I demand Weiss be in it if only to verbally bitch-smack young Nier like in the game. Oh well! Since he's not around I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's a prequel with maybe a beginning with adult Nier being all reminiscing.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Policenaut posted:

Famitsu.com came out with a few new details about the NieR Replicant drama CD, yeah it's Replicant. Sorry.
  • Price: 3990 yen + tax.
  • Due out March 24th, 2011
  • Will portray parts of the world not seen in the game
  • Cast: Nier (youth), Nier (adult), Yonah, Kaine, Emile, Devola, Popola, Tyrann
  • First print copies will apparently come with "bonus tracks" which could mean more music!
I demand Weiss be in it if only to verbally bitch-smack young Nier like in the game. Oh well! Since he's not around I'm gonna go ahead and guess that it's a prequel with maybe a beginning with adult Nier being all reminiscing.

Too bad it'll never see an English release, and thus all of us non-Japanese speaking people will never get to enjoy any of it. :smith:

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Is the combat in this like DMC where it takes like 5 minutes to kill your average scrub?

Also how is the name pronounced? Near or Ny-er?

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

Chunk posted:

Is the combat in this like DMC where it takes like 5 minutes to kill your average scrub?

Also how is the name pronounced? Near or Ny-er?

They never say it (at least in the US version) but it's supposed to be "Near"

The combat is more similar to God of War than DMC, you kill things pretty quickly most of the time.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

Policenaut posted:

They never say it (at least in the US version) but it's supposed to be "Near"

The combat is more similar to God of War than DMC, you kill things pretty quickly most of the time.

Oh good on both counts.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I've been getting an urge to play this again, but I'm not sure if I can. Not many games make you feel bad about every single enemy in the game.

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Is the voice from Weiss the same voice as War in Darksiders? I was playing that yesterday and War starting talking and I was like holy poo poo, it's Weiss!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chunk posted:

Oh good on both counts.

Just don't put the game on Hard. It's the bad kind of Hard where every enemy has 3x health and does 3x damage.

Zaii
Nov 6, 2005

Check it out, I downloaded a little dance!

LorneReams posted:

Is the voice from Weiss the same voice as War in Darksiders? I was playing that yesterday and War starting talking and I was like holy poo poo, it's Weiss!

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1240448/
You are correct

Fereydun
May 9, 2008

The DLC remixes on the arranged tracks disc sound so much better than the game rips and in-game versions. It's really crazy.

Two of the tracks are slightly disappointing though, since they're slightly arranged versions of specific layers of some of the most heavily-layered songs. Specifically, the music box part of the Shadowlord final fight and the vocal layer of the song in the steel mines. Both of them are definitely different from their in-game counterparts, and have backing and stuff added so they stand up much better as individual tracks.

also there's an 8-bit medley of most of the major songs in the game, including the credits with 8-bit vocals. it's surprisingly good since i normally hate chiptune stuff.

edit: the remix of kaine's theme is so good god drat.

Fereydun fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Dec 9, 2010

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Oh poo poo yes. The new OST is on the UK iTunes. Any problems I may have with Square, I love them for putting their sound tracks up on iTunes. Even if a game like Nier wasn't exactly a success over here.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010
I think the Nier OST ended up being way more popular than Nier itself.

24-7 Urkel Cosplay
Feb 12, 2003

I think it's very funny that everything I've read in this thread about sidequests is "don't bother", which also happens to be exactly what the game is constantly telling the player as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Chunk posted:

I think it's very funny that everything I've read in this thread about sidequests is "don't bother", which also happens to be exactly what the game is constantly telling the player as well.

It's true, but the problem is that even though the game trolls the player with most of them, some of them still have amusing/interesting/depressing dialogue to go along with them and the trouble is that you don't know which ones.

• Locked thread