Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Most are worse.

Although The Marine 2 is better. And by that I mean 12 Rounds, not the Marine 2. The Marine 2 is much worse. But 12 Rounds is actually pretty good despite basically being a sequel to the Marine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

El Axo Grande posted:

No, because, if anything, pushing a year Rookie into the title scene and having the top babyface work as a heel-by-proxy for two months is pretty revolutionary booking

Yes a rookie in the title scene certainly is a truly revolutionary idea. That certainly never happenned to Sheamus, Kozlov, Lashley, Kenendy, Khali, Cena, Lesnar, Angle, the Big Show, Goldberg, Ken Shamrock...

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 14:34 on Dec 9, 2010

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

jeffersonlives posted:

Are all of the WWE movies as bad as The Marine?

It showed up in my free On Demand so I watched it, and if it didn't have a couple good Robert Patrick moments it might have been the worst movie I've ever seen. If they're all this bad, I need to see more.

I'm proud (read: not proud) to say I own Marine, See No Evil, and The Condemned. Marine was terrible, haven't even watched The Condemned, but See No Evil was a fun popcorn horror movie since Kane was built for the role and characters are so unlikable you just cheer for them to be killed.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
What about Legendary? It seems mildly interesting.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

MrBling posted:

What about Legendary? It seems mildly interesting.

My wife and her female friend both really liked Legendary. But they also are in love with Cena.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
That and Knucklehead are the two WWE films I'm thinking about actually watching since they're available on my cable VOD service thing.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

Schools over for the semester and I do not work today so if I had Knucklehead on my NetFlix, I'd watch it since Big Show is just naturally a goofy funny dude. His personality really comes across in interviews when the WWE isn't pushing him as a mean giant bully. I vote Knucklehead.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Quarex posted:

Oh, I have a question that does not deserve its own thread: What exactly was the process that occurred taking Randy Orton from "one of the reasons I stopped watching wrestling because he was so awful" to "apparently hugely popular even amongst the Internet wrestling crowd?" I know this kind of thing has happened before, as when The Rock went from crappy annoying man to the biggest thing around, but I have a hard time understanding even now what makes him good other than his admittedly quite compelling sinister-mat-pound-and-stare.

For me it was basically that he gave no gently caress about the other person in the ring. He turned into Stone Cold 2.0 in that, you knew he was going to RKO the person talking to him, you knew he was going to do it but when he did it you were still giddy about it. That and they built him up to be a pretty big badass, where even Nexus didn't want to get on his bad side. Unfortunately, that passed pretty quick, and then he was hugging Cena.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Burrito posted:

For me it was basically that he gave no gently caress about the other person in the ring. He turned into Stone Cold 2.0 in that, you knew he was going to RKO the person talking to him, you knew he was going to do it but when he did it you were still giddy about it. That and they built him up to be a pretty big badass, where even Nexus didn't want to get on his bad side. Unfortunately, that passed pretty quick, and then he was hugging Cena.

That and him being a face means he doesn't put on as many five minute chin locks.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

But claiming the Nexus is a revolutionary concept when it's every invasion angle ever, complete with the usual WWE tropes is nonsense. Six months later they're just another mid-card heel stable led by a guy a notch below the tip-top guys.
Saying "oh boy, another stable :rolleyes:" is pretty nonsensical. It's like saying "this guy is wearing black tights, like we haven't seen that before."

PoO3
Dec 30, 2000
Especially since WWE has cut back on all the stables lately, enough so that I remember a year ago everyone clamoring for them to bring them back. When's the last time they had a real one? S.E.S maybe? That was pretty short lived though. Before that, Evolution?

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
It depends on your definition of stable. I think calling 3 guys like Legacy or S.E.S. a stable is pushing it, personally.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Wojtek posted:

Saying "oh boy, another stable :rolleyes:" is pretty nonsensical. It's like saying "this guy is wearing black tights, like we haven't seen that before."

Plus its an invasion stable made up off legitimately new faces. Not people from another company, not established stars. It was literally a bunch of guys most RAW fans never saw showing up without warning and causing some serious poo poo.

Dancing Peasant
Jul 19, 2003

All this for stealing a piece of bread? :waycool:

jeffersonlives posted:

Are all of the WWE movies as bad as The Marine?

It showed up in my free On Demand so I watched it, and if it didn't have a couple good Robert Patrick moments it might have been the worst movie I've ever seen. If they're all this bad, I need to see more.

Try watching The Condemned. I actually enjoyed the premise (despite using some plot elements from Battle Royale), and it wasn't THAT bad.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
^ I legit enjoyed watching the Condemned. It's the kind of movie you have to take at face value.

El Axo Grande posted:

Plus its an invasion stable made up off legitimately new faces. Not people from another company, not established stars. It was literally a bunch of guys most RAW fans never saw showing up without warning and causing some serious poo poo.
Right, I'm just saying that he's dumbing it down to the lowest possible common denominator and then calling it a rehash.

projecthalaxy
Dec 27, 2008

Yes hello it is I Kurt's Secret Son

Why does no one use the Steamroller anymore?

BRING BACK THE STEAMROLLER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NR9RH1sORmU <- A good Steamroller

The Goog
Aug 6, 2007

It's a Goog Day, yes it is!

projecthalaxy posted:

Why does no one use the Steamroller anymore?

BRING BACK THE STEAMROLLER!

Done right, it's a really effective, visually impressive finish. The problem is that it's difficult to do right (impossible to do on someone bigger than, say, Cena), very dangerous to screw up, and fairly convoluted to get into position for.

For a guy who has multiple ways to finish people, it would be a nice move to have in his arsenal, but it shouldn't be the main one. Maybe Orton can pick it up when he's done with the Angle Slam.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

projecthalaxy posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGo38uCj2s

A better one.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Burrito posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGo38uCj2s

A better one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24n77GgRtrw

best one

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wojtek posted:

^ I legit enjoyed watching the Condemned. It's the kind of movie you have to take at face value.

Right, I'm just saying that he's dumbing it down to the lowest possible common denominator and then calling it a rehash.

When someone is outright calling an invasion angle "revolutionary," why not go to the other extreme?

The Nexus angle started out great and quickly went to complete poo poo. I know everyone wears WWE is Great Goggles here, but I don't know how you can't see it. They consistently lose. Barrett has lost all of his title matches. Their only title reign was a result of John Cena squashing the competition by himself. They're humiliated by Cena every week.

Maybe the main event scenes on both shows wouldn't be so bad if WWE hadn't been loving with the development of their prospects for the past 5 years because AW CANT LET EM GET DER HEADS BIG

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Dec 9, 2010

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

El Axo Grande posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24n77GgRtrw

best one

:killdozer:

Never Forget

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

When someone is outright calling an invasion angle "revolutionary," why not go to the other extreme?
Nexus was revolutionary: an entire stable of new talent with zero support from established stars.

Boiling it down to "another invasion angle..." is stupid. Everything can be broken down to basic elements like this.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn
^Word^

Captain Charisma posted:

By that logic Austin vs. McMahon was just another lone face against powerful heel angle.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Wojtek posted:

Nexus was revolutionary: an entire stable of new talent with zero support from established stars.

Boiling it down to "another invasion angle..." is stupid. Everything can be broken down to basic elements like this.

the spirit squad.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

the spirit squad.

Truly a feared force that altered the course of their brand's every storyline for months

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Truly a feared force that altered the course of their brand's every storyline for months

they were a hell of a lot more effective than nexus.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

they were a hell of a lot more effective than nexus.

Now Grody I cannot help but think you are being a little hyperbolic :colbert:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Wrestling has such a long and enormous history thanks to the territories that pretty much no idea short of a guy shooting his opponent in the dick to win a match has been done. And this isn't even something that you have to dig throughout the annals of history to find an invalidating example. A loving stable comprised of rookies. Wow, what a REVOLUTION.

Not to mention they had weeks of exposure on national TV so your whole point of "THEY WENT IN COLD" is severely lessened. What a joke.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Now Grody I cannot help but think you are being a little hyperbolic :colbert:

Spirit Squad put HBK out for a while, had lengthy tag title run where they actually successfully defended their titles on multiple occasions, and actually wrecked midcarders poo poo.

Nexus walks around wearin shirts with letters on em and run away scared from a loud whiter version of marky mark.

Captain Charisma posted:

Not to mention they had weeks of exposure on national TV so your whole point of "THEY WENT IN COLD" is severely lessened. What a joke.

lets get real, nobody watched NXT

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Captain Charisma posted:

So either NXT was a major ratings success or the Nexus went in cold.

You cannot have your smark cake and eat it too.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
Part of the point of Nexus was that they were put in terrible competitions and not taken seriously. They weren't stars by any means.

Don't worry CC. Nothing you like will ever happen, validating your points.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop
What is everyone' MUST WATCH PPV during the year?

For me, I love watching the Royal Rumble. Trying to follow online just doesn't have the same fun factor. I don't think there's another wrestling event that's more fun to watch with friends.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Spirit Squad put HBK out for a while, had lengthy tag title run where they actually successfully defended their titles on multiple occasions, and actually wrecked midcarders poo poo.

I too remember when Spirit Squad or its members main evented five straight PPVs

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

El Axo Grande posted:

Spirit Squad were McMahon's hired goons. If there is someone established behind Nexus, they sure as gently caress haven't been carrying them like Vince did with the Spirit Squad.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

nexus and spirit squad both main evented one ppv. wade barrett has been in the main events of several but was unsuccessful in nearly all of them and made to look like a total chump every time. im not sayin SS was better, just saying nexus as a GROUP is just as bad.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

nexus and spirit squad both main evented one ppv. wade barrett has been in the main events of several but was unsuccessful in nearly all of them and made to look like a total chump every time.

nWo was also a bunch of midcarders who never won working for one or two big name guys.

When were Scotty Riggs or Vincent ever engaging in classic matches?

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
so who was the "Barret" of the Spirit Squad? Did anyone in the Spirit Squad even have mic time beyond the group intro?

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

NXT season one and The Nexus have given us a debut moment that none of us are likely to ever forget, a leader that is one of the most incredible talkers and promo guys in the history of the WWE in his first year, two guys that became a tag team that were way better than they had any right to be and one of the best teams in a long time, John Cena defending Barrett through an entire battle royal, Barrett making Cena his bitch and classic dickhead promo moments like forcing him to fetch a glass of water, asking him if he'd wash his back and 'you cant see me', a Randy Orton beatdown that ended in The Miz being World Champion, Daniel Bryan feuding with The Miz, Bizarro John Cena, Skip Sheffield, and some of the least offensive WWE merchandise in years.

I think NXT and The Nexus were a huge success as far as breathing some life into a period of WWE that was getting fairly stale.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

nWo was also a bunch of midcarders who never won working for one or two big name guys.

When were Scotty Riggs or Vincent ever engaging in classic matches?

see that doesnt work because nwo still had the main eventers who wore the nwo brand name. barrett is one guy. nash hall luger hennig sting hogan savage are not one guy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

see that doesnt work because nwo still had the main eventers who wore the nwo brand name. barrett is one guy. nash hall luger hennig sting hogan savage are not one guy.

Hall, Henning, and Luger were never main event. Savage was main event in name only. Nash only went main event after going Wolfpac. Sting was only part of the Wolfpac, which wasn't really the nWo.