Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
To get a picture that most accurately represents the blu-ray movie, should I be setting the sharpness on my TV to zero or the midway point?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Steve Yun posted:

To get a picture that most accurately represents the blu-ray movie, should I be setting the sharpness on my TV to zero or the midway point?

Every calibration guide and whatnot I've ever seen recommends setting it to zero. And, out of the box, brightness and contrast should be cranked down big time as well. Check out AVSforum for a thread on your TV, and find somebody's calibration settings. Start there and adjust around those until you get what you want.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I used to love Deep Discount, but yeah they're pretty lovely these days. Maybe they always were and I just got lucky before. Not only do they take forever to ship, but the packaging they use is awful and has led to at least 2 of my purchases to be damaged in transit. Their prices aren't even all that much better than what Amazon offers these days.

RhymesWithTendon
Oct 12, 2000

doctor thodt posted:

Battle Royale reviewed
Looking good! I'm glad I pre-ordered this one.

Steve Yun posted:

My go-to calibration guide is this one for "Quick and Dirty TV Setup", which does recommend turning the sharpness all the way down with some caveats. As they explain it, the "sharpness" setting on most TVs really means "extra sharpness" and reduces detail. Some TVs are different, though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
Deep Discount was great when their sales were more substantial. But these days the price difference is only marginal compared to what you get with Amazon and their superior service. Their non-free shipping is presumably better than the free shipping I've always used, but at that point, why even bother?

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

Nate RFB posted:

I used to love Deep Discount, but yeah they're pretty lovely these days. Maybe they always were and I just got lucky before. Not only do they take forever to ship, but the packaging they use is awful and has led to at least 2 of my purchases to be damaged in transit. Their prices aren't even all that much better than what Amazon offers these days.

I loved them back in 2003 or so. Shipping always only took a few days to get to me. And then all of a sudden one day it changed and started taking so long that I have been avoiding them unless absolutely necessary for years. Customer service sucks, processing time to get a shipment out to you sucks, packaging sucks. Rarely is it worth saving a few bucks to me to order through them nowadays.

UFOTacoMan
Sep 22, 2005

Thanks easter bunny!
bok bok!
My first experience with Deep Discount was the Breaking Bad 2 for 1 sale. I won't be buying from them again unless the deal is extreme.

After 2 months I received the first season of Breaking Bad. I'm still waiting on the second season. I tried to cancel my order when the Amazon deal showed up around black Friday but that didn't seem to work as the order remained open on their website. So now I'm kind of in limbo about whether the second season is going to ship. I sent an email to customer service day before yesterday and I'm waiting to hear back.

Jay Dub
Jul 27, 2009

I'm not listening
to youuuuu...
While we're on the topic of shipping, what's the consensus on YesAsia.com? I just placed an order for a couple items (and I'm eyeballing that Avatar steelbook), and I'm wondering if they'll even get here by Christmas.

The shipping info says "between 6 and 14 business days", but that could mean "between next week and next Christmas" for all I know.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Had a strange issue come up and was hoping someone had an answer for me. I picked up a new laptop a few months ago, and it came with a bluray drive. I have watched blu ray movies on it no problem, they look great. However, when I use an HDMI cable to connect my laptop to my HDTV the player will not display on the movie on my tv. Is this a player issue or something I don't know about?

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Jay Dub posted:

While we're on the topic of shipping, what's the consensus on YesAsia.com? I just placed an order for a couple items (and I'm eyeballing that Avatar steelbook), and I'm wondering if they'll even get here by Christmas.

The shipping info says "between 6 and 14 business days", but that could mean "between next week and next Christmas" for all I know.

I've placed several orders from YesAsia and most of them have taken 6-7 business days to reach me in Florida.

Memories of Matsuko 2/14
Waiting for Superman 2/22
Treme Season 1 3/29
Confessions 4/11

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Thanks for the info, guys. As it turns out, I was watching Shoshanna running from Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, and noticed that anything above zero sharpness was giving her annoyingly obvious edge enhancement (when her dark silhouette was against the bright sky)

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Thanks for the info, guys. As it turns out, I was watching Shoshanna running from Hans Landa in Inglourious Basterds, and noticed that anything above zero sharpness was giving her annoyingly obvious edge enhancement (when her dark silhouette was against the bright sky)
What brand of TV do you have? My Sony Bravia looks pretty sweet with the sharpness cranked up to like 20 (out of 30).

frumpsnake
Jan 30, 2001

The sad part is, he wasn't always evil.
My Samsung back home seemed to have '20' (out of 100) as neutral/no sharpening, and anything below that as 'soften' instead. My Toshiba is set to 0.

A good way to determine what the setting to be is to turn overscan off and hook up a laptop and load a Word document or something.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Toy Story 1 dropped down to $11.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030IIYWA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0030IIYWA

-edit And you can get $10 off if you order Toy Story 3. Making it $25.98 for both.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Dec 9, 2010

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

fenix down posted:

What brand of TV do you have? My Sony Bravia looks pretty sweet with the sharpness cranked up to like 20 (out of 30).
Bravia EX400 46"

I thought everything looked great at 15/30 sharpness for the first few minutes (OMG you can see every pore in everyone's skin!) but after a while I started noticing halos in high contrast shots and now I'm concluding that anything above 0 is artificially added sharpening.

fenix down
Jan 12, 2005

Steve Yun posted:

Bravia EX400 46"

I thought everything looked great at 15/30 sharpness for the first few minutes (OMG you can see every pore in everyone's skin!) but after a while I started noticing halos in high contrast shots and now I'm concluding that anything above 0 is artificially added sharpening.
I'm gonna try it out when I get home then. I love messing around with the settings.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

Sporadic posted:

Toy Story 1 dropped down to $11.99 on Amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0030IIYWA?ie=UTF8&tag=evdaisafi-20&linkCode=as2&camp=1789&creative=390957&creativeASIN=B0030IIYWA

-edit And you can get $10 off if you order Toy Story 3. Making it $25.98 for both.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/redirect.h...creative=390957

Came here to post this, but you beat me to it... insane deal if you don't own them already. Now I just need a copy of Toy Story 2 for $12.99 or less to round out the trilogy.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Lost in Translation reviewed

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

doctor thodt posted:

Is that the actual case? Scrunched and stroked text in this year of our lord 2010?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Nah, just a placeholder. The box art on amazon is different

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

doctor thodt posted:

Kind of disappointing that it's virtually a copy/paste from the HDDVD.

But hey, Universal.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rirse posted:

Anyone know the cheapest place to buy the Spider-Man trilogy on blu-ray? I know Spider-Man 3 is more common then dirt, but Sony decided to be jerks and made Spider-Man 1 and 2 hard to get for a half decent price.

Trilogy is $23.99 at B&N right now.

http://video.barnesandnoble.com/search/product.asp?EAN=43396226333&x=5416912

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~
Man, all of that talk about sharpness just reminded me that I own around 60 blu-rays and still haven't gotten an HD-TV yet. :( I really need to get on that.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Sheldrake posted:

Man, all of that talk about sharpness just reminded me that I own around 60 blu-rays and still haven't gotten an HD-TV yet. :( I really need to get on that.

Well, there's no Billy Wilder films out yet.

doctor thodt
Apr 2, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Oh hey, Pulp Fiction might actually happen in 2011?

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2010/12/09/entertainment-broadcasting-amp-entertainment-us-miramax-lang_8194850.html

And the US Santa Sangre disc is nice and loaded:

quote:

Both the two-DVD set and the Blu-ray will sport restored widescreen transfers of the film’s uncut European edition, and the supplements are:

• Audio commentary by Jodorowsky and journalist Alan Jones
• Deleted scenes with Jodorowsky commentary
• FORGET EVERYTHING YOU HAVE EVER SEEN: THE WORLD OF “SANTA SANGRE”: Exclusive 90-minute making-of documentary reaturing all-new interviews with cast and crew
• “For One Night Only: Alejandro Jodorowsky”: Channel X UK 1990 documentary featuring interviews with Jodorowsky, Dennis Hopper, Marcel Marceau, Omar Sharif and others
• “Goyo Cárdenas Spree Killer”: Documentary on the real-life inspiration for SANTA SANGRE
• Onstage Q&A with Jodorowsky
• Jodorowsky 2003 interview
• Composer Simon Boswell interviews Jodorowsky
• BLINK JODOROWSKY short by Simon Boswell
• “Close Your Eyes” music video by Boswell
• ECHECK: Adan Jodorowsky short film with optional commentary
• Theatrical trailer
• Japanese trailer

Sheldrake
Jul 19, 2006

~pettin in the park~

Egbert Souse posted:

Well, there's no Billy Wilder films out yet.

Too true. :eng99:

Brodeurs Nanny
Nov 2, 2006

SANTA SANGRE COME TO ME

Red
Apr 15, 2003

Yeah, great at getting us into Wawa.

Fayez Butts posted:

Is that the actual case? Scrunched and stroked text in this year of our lord 2010?

They want, no, need you to know who wrote and directed that film.

Jeff Wiiver
Jul 13, 2007

Sheldrake posted:

Wait, so do you not watch them at all? Or do you just hook your blu-ray player to an SDTV and watch them that way?

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Jeff Wiiver posted:

Wait, so do you not watch them at all? Or do you just hook your blu-ray player to an SDTV and watch them that way?

Let's hope they have a PS3 hooked to a SDTV (or better yet, EDTV) and are just waiting on a sweet deal on a 3D LED.

Unruly Amoeba
Feb 11, 2007

Jay Dub posted:

YesAsia has not in the past seven years let me down. They cater to the Asian Expat Communities in North America and Europe so they make it their business to ship pretty quickly. I usually buy CDs from them and the last time I did it took four or so days to reach me in Connecticut.

Unruly Amoeba fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Dec 11, 2010

sleepness
Feb 9, 2006

Dark Knight for 9.99 (currently in stock) on Amazon

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_i=507846

Bambi
Jan 26, 2009

Any time you see Delekhan post, make this face and tell him how much he owns.
The Bob Dylan doc Don't Look Back is coming to BD April 26.

Here's another Battle Royale review. My copy shipped this morning!
And a review for JPJ's Micmacs.

Bambi special features:

quote:

* Inside Walt's Story Meetings-Enhanced Edition (new): A multi-tiered, interactive story-telling experience. Go back in time with dramatic voice re-enactments of the moments with Walt that led to the creation of this classic film.

* Two never-before-seen deleted scenes (new)

* Deleted song: "Twitterpated" (new)

* Blu-ray Galleries (new)

* Disney's Big Book of Knowledge: Bambi Edition (new)— An interactive educational gaming experience that uses the film as a learning tool. Players can customize their own Big Book of Knowledge and learn all about forest creatures, seasons and more. Each time a player completes a task, they are rewarded with new stickers to decorate their Big Book of Knowledge.

* The Making of 'Bambi': A Prince Is Born— A comprehensive look at the making of Bambi covers the story, the characters, the actors, the art design, the music and the history of Walt Disney's classic film using behind the scenes footage, production stills, animation, artwork and multiple interviews with performers and behind the scenes participants.

* Tricks of the Trade (excerpt)— In an episode from the 1957 Disneyland TV show, Walt narrates the story of the multiplane camera, an animation innovation crucial to the production of Bambi.

* Inside the Disney Archives— Disney Supervising Animator Andreas Deja guides viewers through Disney's Animation Research Library, where artwork from past Disney animated feature films is stored, including early story sketches of Bobo the rabbit," (who became Thumper), glass paintings made for the multiplane camera and more.

* The Old Mill— Winner of the 1937 Academy Award for Best Short Subject/Cartoon, The Old Mill was a testing ground for several techniques critical to Walt's artistic vision for Bambi, including the multiplane camera, animating realistic animals and experimenting with such natural occurrences such as wind, rain and lightning.

* DisneyPedia: Bambi's Forest Friends

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I'm looking to get into blu-ray. I know nothing about players or what to get.

I basically was hoping you guys could tell me what the best thing I could get for around 150$ is?

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

Aardvark Barber posted:

I basically was hoping you guys could tell me what the best thing I could get for around 150$ is?

Half of a PS3.

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,

Get a PS3 at BB this week... it'll cost you $299 out of pocket, but you'll gain Cars on Blu, LittleBigPlanet and ModNation Racers games, and a $50 gift card for free.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Aardvark Barber posted:

Check out this thread

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3356624

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

To elaborate, everyone suggests a PS3, because it updates regularly, and if you're a goon, that must mean you enjoy some sort of videogames, so the PS3 helps with that, and the PS3 makes for a decent netflix, other media player as well (support for external harddrives, flash drives, and I think even ipods)

A little bit more expensive than what most people would want to pay, but the slim PS3 is a pretty solid machine.

Aardvark Barber
Sep 7, 2007

Delivery in less than two minutes or your money back!

I checked the thread, and it seems like my most likely choice is the LG BD570, which seems to have solid features all around and isn't that much more than my target price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

doctor thodt posted:

I've been waiting forever for this and didn't even know it was coming out on blu. I've been listening to the soundtrack again this week and hearing about this is just awesome.

Cannot wait to get it! :D

• Locked thread