Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
What the gently caress, the rubber duck stomped people? Did you guys NOT click the loving Death Star enough times to get every clue you needed? It was a freakin' Death Star, people.

Also, I had to use a FAQ in TLJ, but it wasn't at the rubber duck puzzle. I had to use it on the island with all the statues, because I couldn't see a pattern emerge at me and trial by error was tedius as gently caress.

So yeah, the puzzles were kinda dumb, but I've seen worse in games that weren't even adventure games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oldstench
Jun 29, 2007

Let's talk about where you're going.

Mordaedil posted:

What the gently caress, the rubber duck stomped people? Did you guys NOT click the loving Death Star enough times to get every clue you needed? It was a freakin' Death Star, people.

Also, I had to use a FAQ in TLJ, but it wasn't at the rubber duck puzzle. I had to use it on the island with all the statues, because I couldn't see a pattern emerge at me and trial by error was tedius as gently caress.

So yeah, the puzzles were kinda dumb, but I've seen worse in games that weren't even adventure games.

I think some of you are misunderstanding me. It wasn't that the duck puzzle stumped me, it's that it was loving stupid. When I purchased the game soon after it came out, I was under the impression that it was supposed to usher in a new era of adventure gaming. One without mazes, without "gently caress it click everything in your inventory on everything else" puzzles, without rubber duck puzzles.

I fell victim to the classic gamer blunder - I believed the hype. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Planetfall.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Oldstench posted:

I think some of you are misunderstanding me. It wasn't that the duck puzzle stumped me, it's that it was loving stupid. When I purchased the game soon after it came out, I was under the impression that it was supposed to usher in a new era of adventure gaming. One without mazes, without "gently caress it click everything in your inventory on everything else" puzzles, without rubber duck puzzles.

I fell victim to the classic gamer blunder - I believed the hype. Now, if you'll excuse me, I'm going to go play Planetfall.

I thought I read it stumped someone. Not liking the game because of the overhype if fine, I wasn't really hyped up about it, but just wanted to see what my country could produce and was pleasantly surprised at the mediocrity.

You know, because I'm an anti-patriot.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Welp, I hope Sanitarium is good. I nabbed that and MotoRacer 2.. pretty sure I remember MR2 was good. Hopefully it works with my controller.

I really hope they get EA. Tho I sorta hope they somehow manage to get the rights to release Carmageddon as well dangit. Harass SquareEnix-Eidos already!

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
I'm pretty sure it's widely accepted that the duck puzzle was the main reason most people bailed on TLJ. There was a TLJ partial LP (or maybe it was finished, don't remember) where the first 2 or 3 pages were just people posting that they wanted to like the game but gave up at the duck puzzle, or something to that effect.

It's a really dumb puzzle, and for it being so early in the game it tends to give people the wrong impression about how the rest of the game's puzzles are going to be.

I only remember two puzzles from that game: the duck and the statues. I used a FAQ for the statues too, and that's the only reason I remember that puzzle. That game just was not good for its puzzles - the story telling/characters were good though, I thought. Too bad about Dreamfall though.

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Bats posted:

Welp, I hope Sanitarium is good. I nabbed that and MotoRacer 2.. pretty sure I remember MR2 was good. Hopefully it works with my controller.

I really hope they get EA. Tho I sorta hope they somehow manage to get the rights to release Carmageddon as well dangit. Harass SquareEnix-Eidos already!

Sanitarium, from what I remember, had some vaguely obtuse puzzle requirements but they weren't too bad. The story and atmosphere, however, were INSANE and amazing and worth the price of admission. You should enjoy it. :)

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

Faffel posted:

Sanitarium, from what I remember, had some vaguely obtuse puzzle requirements but they weren't too bad. The story and atmosphere, however, were INSANE and amazing and worth the price of admission. You should enjoy it. :)

Welp I own it now so I don't have much of a choice but to see if it's good. Seems well received tho, and based on what you said about story and atmosphere, I'm sold, I should have a good time.

Also noticing that The Oddbox bundle (all the oddworld games including the xbox exclusive ones) are coming to Steam this month. I wonder if Gog is going to get in on that too, would be nice if that was something offered there too.

kuddles
Jul 16, 2006

Like a fist wrapped in blood...

Bats posted:

While I want EA to join GoG, I want the companies who already signed up with them to cough up more stuff in general. I mean, it's been almost a year since Activision signed up and after a quick drop of some old Sierra stuff there has been nothing from their camp. I want all the old Raven games (Hexen, Soldier of Fortune, Heretic, etc.) and I'm pretty sure they also hold the rights to the NOLF series since Vivendi bought out Fox Interactive.

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Mordaedil posted:

In the North American version of The Longest Journey there was a bug that, if you did not combine the items correctly to make the rubber duck contraption, it would not work and you would not be able to progress in the game. If I remember correctly, the developers never patched this in the N.A. version because of poor sales and just told the solution to the puzzle on their web forums instead. I could be wrong about that latter part, though.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.gog.com/en/news/st_nicolas_games_giveaway/0

Attention, GoG might give you a free game!

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Trying for Witcher 2 and there's nothing they can do about it (except not pick me) :c00lbutt:

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

Yeah I'm digging this lil promo stuff they are doing for christmas. It's fun and gets me involved. I did a really corny one liner for Freespace too so we'll see.

Edit: And seconds later I see one of those drat 'hunt for screenshots' contests again.. I always hated those.

Bats fucked around with this message at 16:14 on Dec 7, 2010

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008
Hey guys, I'm thinking of getting Freespace 2 since I've heard a lot about it, but I don't have a joystick; I was going to use an Xbox 360 controller but I've heard they can be a bitch to configure with some programs, before I invest my money, does anyone have any advice or info on this?

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

You can and should install the Freespace 2 Source Code Project over it and you'll be able to configure the controller any which way you want in-game.

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Rascyc posted:

I'm pretty sure it's widely accepted that the duck puzzle was the main reason most people bailed on TLJ. There was a TLJ partial LP (or maybe it was finished, don't remember) where the first 2 or 3 pages were just people posting that they wanted to like the game but gave up at the duck puzzle, or something to that effect.

It's a really dumb puzzle, and for it being so early in the game it tends to give people the wrong impression about how the rest of the game's puzzles are going to be.

I only remember two puzzles from that game: the duck and the statues. I used a FAQ for the statues too, and that's the only reason I remember that puzzle. That game just was not good for its puzzles - the story telling/characters were good though, I thought. Too bad about Dreamfall though.

I used a FAQ a scant few in this game, mostly ran around zig-zagging for clues in dialogue trees, but by the end I was just insanely tired of all the talking. The game was pretty straight forward outside of the duck and another moment or two.

It might've been a great story, I don't recall anymore due to wanting more puzzles and less chatting.

Anyway, what's wrong with Dreamfall? I still haven't gotten around to getting it.

Threep
Apr 1, 2006

It's kind of a long story.

Andrigaar posted:

Anyway, what's wrong with Dreamfall? I still haven't gotten around to getting it.
Less puzzles, no ending. It just stops.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

Andrigaar posted:

It follows 3 protagonists instead of just April, one of whom feels really tacked on and never really does anything or has a believable story arc and the other one is yet another fake girlfriend for Ragnar Tornquist.

There are crappy combat parts, crappy stealth parts, and no real puzzles. Also the interface was made to be "console friendly" instead of using a decent point and click system.

The settings and side-characters are mostly dull and uninspired compared to TLJ.

There is no real ending, the plot just kind of stops after you do something that didn't seem any more or less important than anything else you did in the game, and it ends on kind of a cliffhanger which may or may not ever get resolved since there's no sequel planned any time soon.

It's not a terrible game, it's just extremely mediocre and thus a bad sequel to a great game.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

You can and should install the Freespace 2 Source Code Project over it and you'll be able to configure the controller any which way you want in-game.

This statement is pure truth.

Also, even if you don't have a joystick and don't have or would prefer not to use a controller, FS1 and FS2 are both perfectly playable with mouse and keyboard.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Thanks, if it doesn't work I can always buy a joystick I suppose, I've wanted to enjoy this for a while and I hear you can even play the Freespace 1 campaign through the FS2 engine, with a load of graphical upgrades to boot. I can't play with mouse and keyboard though, flight sims just don't work for me that way, so here's hoping the 360 controller goes smoothly.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
I played through FS2 on a mac with a 360 controller and it worked just fine. However: definitely definitely definitely write down or print out all of the functions that are mapped to your keyboard cause there are a shitload of them and you will need quite a few.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

There is no real ending, the plot just kind of stops after you do something that didn't seem any more or less important than anything else you did in the game, and it ends on kind of a cliffhanger which may or may not ever get resolved since there's no sequel planned any time soon.

Ragnar is adamant that it will get made, although that probably has little bearing on whether it actually will.

DEVILDOGOOORAH
Aug 2, 2010

~Animu fan~
Still haven't released poo poo this week, have they? Here's hoping for something good this time.

Also, is Alien Shooter any good? It look's reminiscent of Crusader or something similar

DEVILDOGOOORAH fucked around with this message at 16:04 on Dec 8, 2010

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

The FS Source Code project is completely installed now, it sure took its time, but I don't mind, however I must be missing something, will I need other software before my 360 controller works with my PC? I'm not even getting a green light on the controller with it plugged in, though my computer does recognize something's being plugged in and make a little sound. Any ideas?

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

DEVILDOGOOORAH posted:

Still haven't released poo poo this week, have they? Here's hoping for something good this time.

Also, is Alien Shooter any good? It look's reminiscent of Crusader or something similar

It's not remotely like Crusader. It's a relatively mindless action shooter, you move your dude around with WASD and shoot wherever you point your mouse, against hordes of aliens. Literal hordes, really, with waves in excess of 100. I played Alien Shooter: Vengeance, which I suspect is a newer game, since it looks a little sharper.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

AS Vengeance is the sequel, which also saw an updated re-release with some extra levels (AS2 Reloaded) and an expansion pack (AS2 Conscription).

As Velius said, AS has more in common with bloodathons like Crimsonland than it does with Crusader. You run around in isometric view, carrying a collection of increasingly overpowered weapons, and gun down thousands upon thousands of aliens. The screenshots give you some idea of the scale of carnage we're talking here. It's a fun if somewhat mindless way to waste a few hours.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

BiggerJ posted:

Ragnar is adamant that it will get made, although that probably has little bearing on whether it actually will.

If it does, it won't be for a long time since the Secret World is Ragnar's current project, which is pretty big and I doubt he'd have the time to head up an entirely separate game even after TSW goes live.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.

BiggerJ posted:

Kind of. He's promised that "the story will be finished", hinting that any sequel could end up being a comic or a novel.

BiggerJ
May 21, 2007

What shall we do with him? A permaban, perhaps? Probate him for a few years? Or...shall we employ a big red custom title? You, the goons of SA, shall decide his fate.

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Kind of. He's promised that "the story will be finished", hinting that any sequel could end up being a comic or a novel.

Actually, he still refers to the next game on his Formspring.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

TehGherkin posted:

The FS Source Code project is completely installed now, it sure took its time, but I don't mind, however I must be missing something, will I need other software before my 360 controller works with my PC? I'm not even getting a green light on the controller with it plugged in, though my computer does recognize something's being plugged in and make a little sound. Any ideas?
Weird, driver installation has always been automatic for me. Are you using XP? Maybe you need to install manually there. Microsoft's driver download page is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=gaming

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

teethgrinder posted:

Weird, driver installation has always been automatic for me. Are you using XP? Maybe you need to install manually there. Microsoft's driver download page is here:

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/download/download.aspx?category=gaming

Thanks, the driver was exactly what I needed, my computer and Freespace 2 are picking it up and a quick test run has shown me that it mostly works, the right stick and back triggers (considered Z-Axis), however, doesn't seem to register at all.

I can see I'm going to have to tweak the controls quite a lot (and memorize what Button 1 through 11 actually are on the controller) before I find something I'm comfortable with, I don't mind this.

The only thing bothering me is the right stick and triggers not working - I was thinking I could use that for rolling since the left one orients myself, and using the triggers to increase or decrease speed. I think it may be to do with the era of technology and the programming not being geared for accepting so many axis or something, but I don't have a clue, does anyone know how to get around this? After that little taster earlier I'm really eager to find a control setting I'm comfortable with and start the Freespace 1 campaign (I'm one of thoes people who has to do things chronologically if possible)

Cheers again.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
when I did this the analog triggers (RT/LT) didn't register at all and the right stick only registered the vertical axis. It still worked okay. Not ideal, but it doesn't take long to get used to thinking of right stick up/down as roll. If yours isn't picking up at all that really blows. As far as throttle goes I just set those commands to the keyboard, weapons and targeting to the 360 controller's face keys and bumper triggers.

TehGherkin
May 24, 2008

andrew smash posted:

when I did this the analog triggers (RT/LT) didn't register at all and the right stick only registered the vertical axis. It still worked okay. Not ideal, but it doesn't take long to get used to thinking of right stick up/down as roll. If yours isn't picking up at all that really blows. As far as throttle goes I just set those commands to the keyboard, weapons and targeting to the 360 controller's face keys and bumper triggers.

Hah, this is really strange, it turns out it IS picking up the triggers, but because they're an axis, you can only bind it to axis stuff - like banking, but the right stick axis, even when assigned to banking, won't respond at all.

It doesn't matter since I have all the functionality I need now, thanks for your help guys, time to enjoy the original Freespace campaign :3:

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
Broken Sword Director's Cut is now on GOG and it coincides with a a Broken Sword Promo which gives you 60% off when you buy the whole series, or 30% off otherwise. Also The Red Baron Pack is $2.49 for today only. Dream Pinball is GOG's other new release today and that's $5.99.

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

Blodskur posted:

Broken Sword Director's Cut is now on GOG and it coincides with a a Broken Sword Promo which gives you 60% off when you buy the whole series, or 30% off otherwise.

Oh my god, I guess I have to buy those games for 7 bucks and change. Only ever played BS2 and I loved it.

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

Zat posted:

Oh my god, I guess I have to buy those games for 7 bucks and change. Only ever played BS2 and I loved it.

Finally! I have the first one, Director's Cut in my ipod Touch and lost a CD of the collection long ago... 7$ for all three sounds very nice! Standalone installs, no DRM. I love GoG.

Tardstar
Feb 25, 2010

by Ozmaugh
I just want them to start selling Silent Storm

I don't get how they've missed this one unless they tried but couldn't get the rights?

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005
Since I had the other two, I'll bite on the director's cut for 3 bucks.

Nalin
Sep 29, 2007

Hair Elf

TehGherkin posted:

Thanks, the driver was exactly what I needed, my computer and Freespace 2 are picking it up and a quick test run has shown me that it mostly works, the right stick and back triggers (considered Z-Axis), however, doesn't seem to register at all.
Microsoft's XBox360 drivers have terrible DirectInput support. It doesn't support rumble, nor do the triggers work independently of each other. If you have a 32-bit Windows OS you can download the XBCD drivers which will work perfectly for FS2:
http://redcl0ud.1.forumer.com/index.php?showtopic=2155

They will also work for 64-bit Windows, except because Microsoft doesn't allow unsigned drivers on 64-bit Windows, you either have to manually start Windows with driver signing disabled (press F8 on startup and select the option to disable driving signing), or install a test signing certificate (which, last I checked, adds the words Test Mode to the corner of your desktop.)

Dodoman
Feb 26, 2009

A moment of laxity
A lifetime of regret
Lipstick Apathy
To fix that there is a batch script called remove watermarks. Use it in conjunction with DSEO (http://www.ngohq.com/home.php?page=dseo)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For anyone who doesn't have the Broken Sword series, getting all 3 games for $7.17 is like legally mugging your local video game retailer.

The first two are absolute classic adventure titles, right up there with the old school Lucasarts games. The third isn't quite as good, but I still thoroughly enjoyed it.