Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?
Alright I guess I'm being a bit of a baby about it. We do pay the electric separate from the rent so I guess I should make an attempt to man up and keep the temp down. I generally don't wear heavy clothes when I'm around the house, so perhaps I should start. Thanks for the feedback guys but holy poo poo man, 62 degrees? Do you have a layer of wool body hair covering your skin?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Jeffrey Colon posted:

Thanks for the feedback guys but holy poo poo man, 62 degrees?
Go to Home Depot and spend ~$80 on a programmable thermostat. It will seriously pay for itself after no more than two months. You set the temp to 50 during the day, and 69 1 hour before you typically get home and save a bajillion dollars.

revolther
May 27, 2008

Fire In The Disco posted:

This is a common argument in my household. I like the house to be cooler, my husband likes it warmer. I'll tell you what I told him-- it's way easier for you to put on a sweater or a pair of socks or whatever than it is for me to cool off. There's only so many layers I can remove.
Quoting this for later insights into your divorce.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3

Wyatt posted:

69! You guys need to man up. Mine is at 62.
I'm with you. 69? What, are you growing orchids in there?

My advice is to start wearing sweaters and warmer clothes, in the apartment (if you don't already.) My roommate always complains about how cold it is in the apartment... as he walks around in a short sleeve t-shirt, barefoot...in December. Come on!

Or yeah, sack up and quit being a goddamn mary. ;)

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Fire In The Disco posted:

This is a common argument in my household. I like the house to be cooler, my husband likes it warmer. I'll tell you what I told him-- it's way easier for you to put on a sweater or a pair of socks or whatever than it is for me to cool off. There's only so many layers I can remove.

Clearly, he is a man with a plan :pervert:.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I generally don't wear heavy clothes when I'm around the house, so perhaps I should start. Thanks for the feedback guys but holy poo poo man, 62 degrees? Do you have a layer of wool body hair covering your skin?

You just have to wear more clothes. I mean, it's cold out, so presumably you have appropriate clothing when you leave the house. Just dress the same at home.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
Nonsense. Home is a place to lounge around in your boxers and feel comfortable.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

skype and windows 7 is annoying as gently caress how do I stop the orange taskbar notifications from showing up every time some one sends me a message in skype or when a firefox download stops?

The skype one is in your Skype options, that's something that comes with Skype no matter what OS you're on. (Are you talking about the toasty things?)

Danger Mahoney
Mar 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Elijya posted:

Nonsense. Home is a place to lounge around in your boxers and feel comfortable.

Counterpoint: Flannel PJs and slippers are ten times as comfortable and are only wearable in cold temps.

Rat Patrol
Feb 15, 2008

kill kill kill kill
kill me now
A giant THANK YOU to the goons who had information about good shoes - I appreciate it.

I use lithium hosting for my small-time website...that's goon-run, isn't it? I can't find the lithium hosting thread. Is it still around?

VibrioCholera
Mar 7, 2003
A goon once posted a really well done flash website of retro Christmas commercials including the Fruity Pebbles one. Anyone have the link to it if it's still up? You could change the channels and stuff.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Huntersoninski posted:

A giant THANK YOU to the goons who had information about good shoes - I appreciate it.

I use lithium hosting for my small-time website...that's goon-run, isn't it? I can't find the lithium hosting thread. Is it still around?

Yes, just not stickied anymore.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2818800

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Something I saw posted here on SA years ago, some reporter lady posted pics of herself smoking a cigarette on her website or myspace or something and it was big news on the internet that the pic shown to the net was just her face but if you looked at the exif thumbnail you could see the pic was a crop of the original where she was topless and titties!

Who was that?

(Friend and I were talking about what's stored in exif for some reason and I told him about this)

edit: And yeah I know there are a million high-res titties available to me with a 20mbit connection but titties I wasn't intended to see are always nice. /creeper

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 06:58 on Dec 9, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

It was Cat Schwartz from TechTV.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

A guy posted this on page 1 of the Cool/Not cool thread. He said he just got it from a GIS. What exactly would this be called and where can I buy one?

Persidian posted:

Cool:

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

The Aphasian posted:

It was Cat Schwartz from TechTV.

step 1 GIS
step 2 I am jack's underwhelmed titty appreciation process.

Cool story though.

Travakian
Oct 9, 2008

I've recently signed on with a recruiting agency. As part of the contract, there was a clause specifying that should they set me up with a client, I'm (essentially) not to go around their back and continue working with the client without having the agency as a middleman 'til ~6 months after the original contract ends.

Now, I'm sure this is all standard protocol, but how would they know if I went in for a week or two here or there and got paid directly? Honour system?

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

The employer pays the recruiting agency to find people for them. The company pays a certain percentage to the recruiting agency while you're still "with" them and they're bound by contract to follow that for 6 months. At least that's how it works for a few of my friends who have gone the same route that you are.

Both parties are usually pretty serious about the 6 month rule too -- aside from special circumstances.

So I guess to answer your question - you can't technically go behind their back as the two companies have a long standing agreement rather than: I place an employee for you, you pay me one time and then our contract is over.

Jeffrey Colon fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 9, 2010

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Does anyone know of an article, scientific or otherwise, that explains why people become so fanatical and angrily defensive of an item or platform (e.g. iPhone/Android, 360/PS3/Wii, Windows/MacOS/Linux)? Is it some kind of ancient "band together as a tribe" thing? Is it the same thing that makes people rabid sports fans (which I also do not understand)?

The eReader thread is becoming broken with Kindle/Nook/iPad fighting and all I want to do is talk about how cool it is to live in a vaguely 80s cyberpunk future where I can slip a library into my pocket and every normal thing gets prepended with an "e".

John Redcorn
Apr 26, 2007
I am deeply flawed and unpleasant
I just sold some things (21) on ebay for the first time in years. All auctions ended sunday afternoon and everyone's paid and been shipped except 3 people.

I've done the "send invoice" thing to them and got nothing back.

One of these is for one of the more expensive ($50) things I'm selling and I'd really like to relist and and get some money. (and hopefully get my ebay fees refunded.) The winner of this item had a 0 feedback when she won it and now she has 6. So she's buying or selling other things and forgetting me it seems like.

I've only sold like 2 or 3 things on ebay before and that was years ago, I know there are all these unwritten rules you're supposed to go by and not be assholeish but what do those unwritten rules say I should do?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

John Redcorn posted:

what do those unwritten rules say I should do?
Can't say, or else they wouldn't be unwritten :haw:

No, but seriously, give them until next Sunday (7 days) to pay. Send the winner a direct message letting them know you need payment. After that, if you want you can send a second-chance offer for the second-highest bid, or just relist. If you second-chance it takes about two days to find out if they bite or not, and the auction closes and you get paid, or you can submit a non-payer report, relist and get everything back.

You should also probably set your account up to require people to have at least 1 positive feedback and no more than 2 negs in the last six months to bid.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

John Redcorn posted:

I've only sold like 2 or 3 things on ebay before and that was years ago, I know there are all these unwritten rules you're supposed to go by and not be assholeish but what do those unwritten rules say I should do?

Unwritten rules say be very patient. Don't send your customers too many notices, it can potentially annoy them. eBay itself sends them reminders to pay for items, so don't add to that too much. Personally, I'd send the invoice again after three days, then a very very polite personal message after 5 days since you're in a rush. If it's been more than a week, file an unpaid item case. If the person changed their mind about wanting it and is decent, they'll agree to it and you can relist the item immediately. If they ignore it, after a week or so eBay gives you the option to end the exchange yourself if there's been no acceptance or decline from the buyer. You can relist it while you're waiting, and if the person does send payment in the meantime you can just pull your new listing (or possibly edit it into a completely different item).

Personally, all my listings say "Sales will be canceled if no payment is received within 7 days with no contact." Although I stopped doing auctions mostly awhile back and just stick with the buy it now format, having the items relist if unsold every 30 days. I list the items for the highest prices they've sold for in recent eBay history, then dropping it by 10% or so every month. But that's obviously a longer term scheme than what you seem to be looking for. (trying to get money for the holidays I assume?)

:e or that second chance thing tendrilsfor20 mentioned. I forgot about that since I haven't used auction format in awhile.

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

The Aphasian posted:

Does anyone know of an article, scientific or otherwise, that explains why people become so fanatical and angrily defensive of an item or platform (e.g. iPhone/Android, 360/PS3/Wii, Windows/MacOS/Linux)? Is it some kind of ancient "band together as a tribe" thing? Is it the same thing that makes people rabid sports fans (which I also do not understand)?

The eReader thread is becoming broken with Kindle/Nook/iPad fighting and all I want to do is talk about how cool it is to live in a vaguely 80s cyberpunk future where I can slip a library into my pocket and every normal thing gets prepended with an "e".

I found some decently interesting articles here and here. Google "consumer fanaticism" for more.

Key points from the first article

Article posted:

Social identity and self-esteem maintenance theories help explain how an individual may develop an attraction to an object, i.e. through their desire to become members of a certain social group, or the desire to maintain, protect, or enhance their social image and self-esteem.
Attachment theories from the social psychology literature were also considered for insights into how a person may become fanatical via the process of attachment, i.e. the process whereby an object gains greater importance through stable psychological connection, meaning, significance or value formed between an individual and the object.
and

Article posted:

...theories of brand commitment can be used to suggest that fanaticism is driven by self-relevance, involvement, and personal importance, and that it increases via a sacralisation process. Extreme identification was suggested to be a key driver for the development of love for consumables and self-diagnosis of addiction to brands, and can be used to explain the development of consumer fanaticism

Google the sources for more. Its a pretty interesting topic.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Jeffrey Colon posted:

I found some decently interesting articles here and here. Google "consumer fanaticism" for more.

Thanks, exactly what I was looking for.

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
I bought my husband a BluRay player for Christmas, and it looks like it does youtube videos and some other online stuff but isn't capable of doing Netflix. I'll upgrade and get the Netflix one if it means we can cancel our cable. How good is Netflix? Would that be worth it? The only shows we care about watching new are the new episodes of Futurama and Breaking Bad--how long would we have to wait to watch the new episodes with Netflix?

gwar3k1
Jan 10, 2005

Someday soon

Elijya posted:

A guy posted this on page 1 of the Cool/Not cool thread. He said he just got it from a GIS. What exactly would this be called and where can I buy one?

TinEye gives results that call it the Labyrinth Aquarium.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

chachu posted:

I bought my husband a BluRay player for Christmas, and it looks like it does youtube videos and some other online stuff but isn't capable of doing Netflix. I'll upgrade and get the Netflix one if it means we can cancel our cable. How good is Netflix? Would that be worth it? The only shows we care about watching new are the new episodes of Futurama and Breaking Bad--how long would we have to wait to watch the new episodes with Netflix?

Unless Netflix's format has changed dramatically, until the following year when the DVDs are released, +28 days.

edit: ABC/Disney as of today apparently has made deals with Netflix to stream recent episodes, so it's not a stretch to imagine that other networks will follow suit soon, but as of right now you can't really count on it.

RaoulDuke12 fucked around with this message at 20:30 on Dec 9, 2010

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

My work wants me to take a webpage that already exists and make it into another page with a unique domain. So say for instance they want this to be a whole new page:

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/

So instead of going to that url they could just go to say https://www.hyundaifinancialtools.com

Is there a way to take that entire page and make a new page from it using the code or something. Clearly you can see I am not a web developer.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Bojanglesworth posted:

My work wants me to take a webpage that already exists and make it into another page with a unique domain. So say for instance they want this to be a whole new page:

So instead of going to that url they could just go to say https://www.hyundaifinancialtools.com

Is there a way to take that entire page and make a new page from it using the code or something. Clearly you can see I am not a web developer.

What part of it have you done already? First you will need to buy hyundaifinancialtools.com. Then some web hosting to point the domain at. Then you can copy all the content from where it is now to the hosting and it should start working if everything else is set up right.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

haveblue posted:

What part of it have you done already? First you will need to buy hyundaifinancialtools.com. Then some web hosting to point the domain at. Then you can copy all the content from where it is now to the hosting and it should start working if everything else is set up right.

I have already purchased the domain that I want. I didn't build the original page, but part of my job is managing some micro sites and blogs so this has somehow fallen onto my plate. How do I copy all of the content? Is that something I would have to get in touch with the web designer who did the site to get?

ChubbyEmoBabe
Sep 6, 2003

-=|NMN|=-
Ideally they didn't hardcode the domain/path into the code so you could simply copy everything in the /financial-tools/ dir on the original server to the root html directory of the new server.

After doing that you could egrep all of the pages for references to the old domain/directory.

E: Ohh and if it has javascript, cgi, etc you will need to place those in their proper places which sometimes are not under the directory.

Schweinhund
Oct 23, 2004

:derp:   :kayak:                                     

Bojanglesworth posted:

You shouldn't have to copy anything. There should be a way to configure the webhost so when you add a new domain it points to that folder. It depends on where/how the site is hosted. There should be some kind of control panel to add new domains.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

ChubbyEmoBabe posted:

Ideally they didn't hardcode the domain/path into the code so you could simply copy everything in the /financial-tools/ dir on the original server to the root html directory of the new server.

After doing that you could egrep all of the pages for references to the old domain/directory.

E: Ohh and if it has javascript, cgi, etc you will need to place those in their proper places which sometimes are not under the directory.

I'm guessing, from his first post, this is jibberish to him.
It might be a lot easier than you guys are making it.
If he has access to the host that the initial domain is on then all he has to do is transfer that domain to that host and use their control panel to point the domain to that directory.

Bojanglesworth posted:

I have already purchased the domain that I want. I didn't build the original page, but part of my job is managing some micro sites and blogs so this has somehow fallen onto my plate. How do I copy all of the content? Is that something I would have to get in touch with the web designer who did the site to get?

If you are going to host that domain at the same place the other domain is at, then it's all there already. Otherwise, you still need access to that host to download all that stuff and re-upload it to the new host so you get all that "invisible" gobbledygook that ChubbyEmoBabe is talking about that makes scripts work, etc. There also might be image directories, CSS pages, and other stuff that wouldn't get downloaded if you just tried to rip the whole thing from a web browser.

short answer: If the new domain is going to be hosted at the same place as the other domain, everything you need to do can be done at that host's site if you log in.

edit: Shorter answer:
What Schweinhund said.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

It's true and I'm tired of pretending it isn't
Okay I keep hearing this song at work, but for some reason I can't pick any of the words out. It's synthy and sounds kind of like the Cure, and the defining characteristic is the refrain - it's mostly "whoa-oh".

It goes like this:

(something) tonight
(something) tonight, Whoa-oh (echo:"whoa-oh")
Whoa oh oh oh-oh-oh-oh-oh

I'm sorry but that's all I have and it's killing me.

Very Strange Things
May 21, 2008

Extensive Vamping posted:

Okay I keep hearing this song at work, but for some reason I can't pick any of the words out. It's synthy and sounds kind of like the Cure, and the defining characteristic is the refrain - it's mostly "whoa-oh".

It goes like this:

(something) tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sp7gACVs_0

I thought it might have been The Cars, but upon listening again there aren't actually a lot of whoah-ohs, if any...

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Very Strange Things posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4sp7gACVs_0

I thought it might have been The Cars, but upon listening again there aren't actually a lot of whoah-ohs, if any...

Definitely not that, thanks for the effort though. I know it's not the cars. Sounds more like men at work or robert smith or something.

Wyatt
Jul 7, 2009

NOOOOOOOOOO.

Definitely not that, thanks for the effort though. I know it's not the cars. Sounds more like men at work or robert smith or something.

You might have better luck in the Help Me Identify a Song megathread.

erosion
Dec 21, 2002

Wyatt posted:

You might have better luck in the Help Me Identify a Song megathread.

This is perfect, thank you.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.

It goes like this:

(something) tonight

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mz7bqxeVgNw

Maybe?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

chachu posted:

Until Netflix cuts similar deals with others, IIRC you can buy episodes of Breaking Bad the next day off Amazon and similar outfits for like $1-2.99 a pop. No idea about Futurama.