Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

El Axo Grande posted:

Hall, Henning, and Luger were never main event. Savage was main event in name only. Nash only went main event after going Wolfpac. Sting was only part of the Wolfpac, which wasn't really the nWo.

Luger absolutely was main event, and they were still in the midcard at the very least where they were still effective and gained wins and looked like a threat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

I think it's comparing apples to oranges in that WWE probably has the same amount of wrestlers in their entire roster for both brands that NWO had at one point just in their stable. When you've got 120 wrestlers on your roster you can put 35 of them in the NWO and some of them are gonna be main eventers.

Having seven guys in current WWE is a pretty huge stable. That in itself is more than the combined main eventers for a single brand.

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

Luger absolutely was main event, and they were still in the midcard at the very least where they were still effective and gained wins and looked like a threat.

Outside of losing on Monday, Gabriel and Slater have been sold as pretty legit. The only failing of Husky and McGullicutty is that they have only been in the group a few weeks.

And if you want to see Otunga wrestle more... well... bless your heart.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008

Mr. Carlisle posted:

I think it's comparing apples to oranges
That's exactly our point. Calling the Nexus a rehash is incorrect.

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

El Axo Grande posted:

The only failing of Husky and McGullicutty is that they have only been in the group a few weeks.

I'm loving that Husky manages to look MORE sleazy in Nexus gear. He's doing his best to stand out.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Wojtek posted:

Yes!

Happy Happyist posted:

I'm loving that Husky manages to look MORE sleazy in Nexus gear. He's doing his best to stand out.

The trucker hat is a nice touch.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'
Is "Hasky" a reference to something specific or is that just Cena being goofy?

El Axo Grande
Apr 2, 2005

by T. Finn

Minidust posted:

Is "Hasky" a reference to something specific or is that just Cena being goofy?

Hasky Harris was Nixon's secretary of education, who was known for basically being an incompetent sycophant.

Minidust
Nov 4, 2009

Keep bustin'

El Axo Grande posted:

Hasky Harris was Nixon's secretary of education, who was known for basically being an incompetent sycophant.
okay that's... far less topical than I was expecting :stare:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

El Axo Grande posted:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Minidust posted:

okay that's... far less topical than I was expecting :stare:

It is for Vince

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Wojtek posted:

I don't think anyone believes Nexus the stable is a direct rehash or a ripoff. The concept of an invasion is what is being reused.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
What else do stables do?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Captain Charisma posted:

I don't think anyone believes Nexus the stable is a direct rehash or a ripoff. The concept of an invasion is what is being reused.

Is there any problem with this, though? It's a highly effective formula for generating interest and especially merchandise plus it gets the fans excited. Sure Nexus has lost steam, but damned if I'm still not HIGHLY interested in what's coming next week in and week out, and about 80% of that is thanks to Nexus, 90% before Miz became champ. It's still engrossing as a storyline, weakened or not.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

as a smark i'm annoyed at the complete no-sell of the stipulations and booking. as a fan i'm annoyed because cena is real stale to me and the one thing that looks like they might change him up he goes right back to goofy comedy cena.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

I like goofy comedy Cena but even I have to admit the completely ignorance of the stip annoys me.

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Quarex posted:

Oh, I have a question that does not deserve its own thread: What exactly was the process that occurred taking Randy Orton from "one of the reasons I stopped watching wrestling because he was so awful" to "apparently hugely popular even amongst the Internet wrestling crowd?" I know this kind of thing has happened before, as when The Rock went from crappy annoying man to the biggest thing around, but I have a hard time understanding even now what makes him good other than his admittedly quite compelling sinister-mat-pound-and-stare.

The crowd was dying for Legacy to break up & they didn't care who caused it. Turns out Orton caused it and so he got the face recognition.

Endorph posted:

I like goofy comedy Cena but even I have to admit the completely ignorance of the stip annoys me.
It's not ignoring the stip, it's sidestepping it. Cena technically doesn't have a job, just like the Nexus members sans Barrett didn't when they came in and tore poo poo up.

This past RAW's revelation annoyed me the most. Otunga tells Barrett to take care of Cena or there'll be a mutiny, Barrett comes up with the ingenious plan of doing what they've always done that works so well (which is to lure Cena out by himself & then collectively beat his rear end), and when the plan works to perfection and Cena is easy pickings if they come down and beat his rear end, the rest of Nexus bails on it and has their mutiny anyway.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

oldskool posted:

This past RAW's revelation annoyed me the most. Otunga tells Barrett to take care of Cena or there'll be a mutiny, Barrett comes up with the ingenious plan of doing what they've always done that works so well (which is to lure Cena out by himself & then collectively beat his rear end), and when the plan works to perfection and Cena is easy pickings if they come down and beat his rear end, the rest of Nexus bails on it and has their mutiny anyway.

Seriously. I know, I know, PG and all, but gently caress. Pillmanize the dude with a chair, do a beatdown the likes of which would be hearkening back to the good old days of the Horsemen, and Cena shouldn't be able to Superman rrrrrrrrrrapadoo out of that.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

oldskool posted:

The crowd was dying for Legacy to break up & they didn't care who caused it. Turns out Orton caused it and so he got the face recognition.

It's not ignoring the stip, it's sidestepping it. Cena technically doesn't have a job, just like the Nexus members sans Barrett didn't when they came in and tore poo poo up.

Why wouldn't the Raw roster just show up and beat their asses again like they did last week?

kidsarejerks
Mar 2, 2010

jeffersonlives posted:

It showed up in my free On Demand so I watched it, and if it didn't have a couple good Robert Patrick moments it might have been the worst movie I've ever seen. If they're all this bad, I need to see more.

The best thing about The Marine is that seemingly the only building that doesn't explode in the entire movie is a meth lab.

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

Captain Charisma posted:

So they should have instituted a trade embarago against the WWE?

I don't think it was really an 'invasion' angle, as it was more 'hey assholes, we want respect/recognition, now we're going to try and get the belts and work as a unit to show you why we're the best.'

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

MassRayPer posted:

Why wouldn't the Raw roster just show up and beat their asses again like they did last week?

Same reason they didn't do so the first time they showed up, I figure: CM Punk's mere presence scares off the cavalry.

Also they are cowards and no one man wants to run in to help Cena for fear that they will be the only one and they too will receive a beatdown, but if enough people run in before they do to lower the odds of getting their own assed outnumbered & kicked they'll gladly contribute to a save.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Perdido posted:

So they should have instituted a trade embarago against the WWE?

I don't think it was really an 'invasion' angle, as it was more 'hey assholes, we want respect/recognition, now we're going to try and get the belts and work as a unit to show you why we're the best.'

He's not saying that at all. Doing something that isn't new is fine. It just isn't that revolutionary. Which is fine. Trying to re-invent the wheel in wrestling leads to Vince Russo. It is when someone tries to make Nexus be something it isn't that it honestly seems LESS fresh. When it was asked "Well when has a group of non-stars been put in an invasion like this before!" I immediately thought "Well ROH did that with Generation Next..." and saw similarities that I had never thought of before.

Should WWE care that the groups are kind of the same? gently caress no. It doesn't matter at all.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRayPer posted:

He's not saying that at all. Doing something that isn't new is fine. It just isn't that revolutionary. Which is fine. Trying to re-invent the wheel in wrestling leads to Vince Russo. It is when someone tries to make Nexus be something it isn't that it honestly seems LESS fresh. When it was asked "Well when has a group of non-stars been put in an invasion like this before!" I immediately thought "Well ROH did that with Generation Next..." and saw similarities that I had never thought of before.

Should WWE care that the groups are kind of the same? gently caress no. It doesn't matter at all.

gently caress otunga's winning the title at mania

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW
This was posted a while ago but

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yeah, that's pretty ridiculous. Edge should be nowhere near the status of a pre-retirement era Ric Flair.

Why is it more important to have a multitude of title reigns as opposed to the length of your title reign?

I mean I understand. You could always be someone like Randy Orton or Shelton Benjamin with the IC Title or recently with the Miz and the US Title and barely ever defend it, therefore you have a long title reign. But a guy like Edge constantly losing the World Title so he gets close to Flair's reign, is it really something to get up in arms about? Edge will have lost the World Title the same numbers of times as Flair in half of the time. Does that make him seem impressive? To me it makes him seem like a chump.

Then again, it's impossible to just have one statistic to decide if that person deserved greatness. You have to examine the title reigns individually based on opponents, feud heat, importance, etc. For example, Austin had pretty short reigns but almost always fought the best in the company. Diesel had a long reign in the WWF but his opponents were Shawn Michaels, Sid, Mable and Bret.

Psychlone
Sep 3, 2004

It's never straight up and down!

Burrito posted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVGo38uCj2s

A better one.

The best steamroller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pnsroOL-MEk

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

MassRayPer posted:

Wow I can't believe I never realized how unbelievably similar this angle is to Generation Next.

Well...the concept anyway. The GN angle was done well and made stars and credible upper midcarders out of everyone involved.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat

Lone Rogue posted:

I mean I understand. You could always be someone like Randy Orton or Shelton Benjamin with the IC Title or recently with the Miz and the US Title and barely ever defend it, therefore you have a long title reign. But a guy like Edge constantly losing the World Title so he gets close to Flair's reign, is it really something to get up in arms about? Edge will have lost the World Title the same numbers of times as Flair in half of the time. Does that make him seem impressive? To me it makes him seem like a chump.

But Edge's whole personality was that he would win the title through nefarious and opportunistic means. He takes advantage of a situation to win it, but soon he can't hold onto it because he doesn't always have a way to take advantage of things.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Captain Charisma posted:

Wow I can't believe I never realized how unbelievably similar this angle is to Generation Next.

Well...the concept anyway. The GN angle was done well and made stars and credible upper midcarders out of everyone involved.

Both groups even beat up Ricky Steamboat.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Lone Rogue posted:

Why is it more important to have a multitude of title reigns as opposed to the length of your title reign?

Even when I was watching wrestling as a little mark kid, I thought it was weird that that more title reigns is prestigious. Doesn't that just mean that you lost the title a whole bunch of times? Wouldn't it be better to just have one really long continuous reign than 6 short ones?
I still feel that way today, but at least I can see why they do it.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
/\ haha when I was a kid I always thought the champ should job the title to scrubs like esse rios and crash holly then win it back right away to inflate their title count. Maybe winning the title you lost is more impressive than successfully defending it.

Lone Rogue posted:

Then again, it's impossible to just have one statistic to decide if that person deserved greatness. You have to examine the title reigns individually based on opponents, feud heat, importance, etc. For example, Austin had pretty short reigns but almost always fought the best in the company. Diesel had a long reign in the WWF but his opponents were Shawn Michaels, Sid, Mable and Bret.

its like winning the superbowl nine times vs winning the superbowl once in a more competitive game. Unless you have a really lenghty run and can claim something like "longest reigning champion in smackdown history", 2-time sounds nicer than 1-time.

Web Jew.0 fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 10, 2010

Perdido
Apr 29, 2009

CORY SCHNEIDER IS FAR MORE MENTALLY STABLE THAN LUONGO AND CAN HANDLE THE PRESSURES OF GOALTENDING IN VANCOUVER

MassRayPer posted:

Yeah, I was just being silly. The idea of say, Nexus petitioning the United Nations or the SES meeting with the FDA just conjured up a funny mental picture.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Barrett will probably come out of this an upper midcarder, Gabriel, Slater, and Possibly Harris have a good chance of coming out of this as solid midcarders, and Bryan already got elevated to upper midcard status off of this. Sorta.

It's not perfect but the only ones I can see coming out of this fired/jobbing are Otunga and McGillicutty, unless you count guys who got cut loose like Tarver and Young.

Wojtek
Oct 17, 2008
I don't get the hate for McGuillicutty, other than his terrible promo leaving NXT. I like him.

Faxman
Feb 27, 2009

Wojtek posted:

I don't get the hate for McGuillicutty, other than his terrible promo leaving NXT. I like him.

The guy just seems really bland an unremarkable to me. It's hard for me to come up with another word to describe him other than 'there'.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Imperfect

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

Web Jew.0 posted:

Imperfect haircut

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

El Duke posted:

Dude's bald. All that hair product his dad and mom used came back to haunt him.

Hockles
Dec 25, 2007

Resident of Camp Blood
Crystal Lake

I don't think comparing modern day title counts or lengths to those that happened before weekly TV (Raw/Nitro). There were much less public defenses and less opportunity to lose the title because there was much less exposure than there is now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Wojtek posted:

I don't blame him for his NXT run since he basically went from working like his dad to not being allowed to in a short space of time. Since then, well we haven't seen much of him to judge. Although they are doing him no favors by losing the match to get into NXT and then being the first guy Cena takes out.