Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Bob Shadycharacter posted:

There's a pattern in the book "Amigurumi Knits" for a jellyfish - it's obviously smaller than a hat but it's quite detailed and might give you some good ideas. I loving love the book, I'm knitting a preying mantis pattern from it right now.

I don't have access to that book, unfortunately. (but I have heard good things!) I'm wondering if some sort of beret might work for the top.. hm.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

Robin Sparkles posted:

I don't have access to that book, unfortunately. (but I have heard good things!) I'm wondering if some sort of beret might work for the top.. hm.

Well I have it right next to me, lemme look for a sec. :)

Ok the pattern in the book is written top down, where you cast on four stitches and increase every other row in eight sections. You could easily find a free top down beret pattern like that, I'm sure. Then it's got kind of a ruffle, all ruffles are just made by increasing a lot in a small space, again look for any free pattern with ruffles, or ruffled bind off maybe. If you want there to be a couple rows of ruffles like the picture you posted maybe you could pick up stitches underneath the first one and knit a second ruffle.

And then the tentacles are a spiral, I'm sure I've seen other patterns for that.

Hold on, I'll look at Ravelry.

Edit:

top down beret any yarn or gauge: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/one-day-beret-2

another top down beret: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/marabou-beret

Here's a pattern for a spiral scarf, I don't know about making it smaller: http://nonaknits.typepad.com/nonaknits/2005/11/spiral_scarf.html

this one might work: http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/ruffles-that-rock

Bob Shadycharacter fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Dec 8, 2010

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Well I have it right next to me, lemme look for a sec. :)

Ok the pattern in the book is written top down, where you cast on four stitches and increase every other row in eight sections. You could easily find a free top down beret pattern like that, I'm sure. Then it's got kind of a ruffle, all ruffles are just made by increasing a lot in a small space, again look for any free pattern with ruffles, or ruffled bind off maybe. If you want there to be a couple rows of ruffles like the picture you posted maybe you could pick up stitches underneath the first one and knit a second ruffle.

And then the tentacles are a spiral, I'm sure I've seen other patterns for that.

Hold on, I'll look at Ravelry.

Thanks :D I'm not great at piecing it together myself, which is why I was thinking of doing a beret and just attaching the ruffles to it, but I can surely give this a try. (I can always frog it if it sucks!)

^^ YOU SIR, RULE! Thank you so much :)

Robin Sparkles fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Dec 8, 2010

goobernloveslave
Apr 29, 2009

your stuff better be gone in the morning
Hello all! My aunt taught me how to knit about 4 years ago, but I became quickly frustrated and decided to stop. About 2 weeks ago, a friend re-taught me, and I am working on a long scarf which is still in progress.

edit:thumbnail looks like it's not working, here's a link to the fullsize picture https://wi.somethingawful.com/cc/cc4072f513ab697d04bb4f3070f53ba506416491.jpg

I tend to go insane when I start a new hobby, so I bought more yarn today and started/finished my first project! It was the Instant Gratification Scarf (http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/instant-gratification-scarf) from ravelry, and only took me a few hours!

I'm obsessed.

Mnemosyne
Jun 11, 2002

There's no safe way to put a cat in a paper bag!!

goobernloveslave posted:

I tend to go insane when I start a new hobby

The awesome thing about knitting is that it's a practical hobby, so you can go as crazy as you want. It would be really difficult to knit more things than you could actually wear or use. With other hobbies, you tend to end up with a bunch of doodads that don't do much except take up space and make it hard to dust.

Fionnoula
May 27, 2010

Ow, quit.
I got a jury duty summons today. The first thought through my head was "what will I bring to knit? I need to go check out Ravelry!" That's not right, I should take my civic duty seriously, not as an 8 hour window of knitting uninterrupted by the needs of my family.

Gently Used Coat
Jul 4, 2005

Fionnoula posted:

I got a jury duty summons today. The first thought through my head was "what will I bring to knit? I need to go check out Ravelry!" That's not right, I should take my civic duty seriously, not as an 8 hour window of knitting uninterrupted by the needs of my family.

But what if they confiscate it? :ohdear:

Look Under The Rock
Oct 20, 2007

you can't take the sky from me
I've officially bit off more than I can chew with my Christmas list.

I decided I wanted to do mostly handmade gifts, and I pretty much started the knit stuff two days ago. So far I've got loose-knit scarves finished, part of a stuffed caterpillar, and the beginnings of a beret. Good thing I've got nothing to do but knit for the next couple weeks, I guess.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Gently Used Coat posted:

The last time I had jury duty (and I have it again next month) they didn't.

On that note, last time I had jury duty I brought my Nintendo DS with me. They didn't check me on the way in, but after lunch they x-rayed my bag. The scary looking police officer pointed at the vaguely rectangle electronic device and asked what it was.

"A game boy! :downs:"

They gave my bag back without even checking if I was telling the truth.

So yeah, I wouldn't worry too much.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage

Gently Used Coat posted:

hahahahahh

When I did jury service at Reading Crown Court they had a goddamn knitting table with sticks and string to make squares for blankets for refugees. I, ahem, liberated a full ball of Jaeger mohair from the yarn bag.
In my defence, your honour, I did add a whole bunch of yarn to the bag and the whole thing was a waste of time- the first case I was on got adjourned because the judge slipped over and broke his arm and in the second one I recognised the victim and couldn't give and impartial view.

So I'm making those Purl Bee socks for giving and they look really big. I haven't actually ever had a good look at a man's sock so I can't tell if they're meant to be big. THIS IS WHY YOU CHECK YOUR TENSION PEOPLE arrrrgh

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Cats cure all ills. Post more of them.

madlilnerd posted:

hahahahahh

When I did jury service at Reading Crown Court they had a goddamn knitting table with sticks and string to make squares for blankets for refugees. I, ahem, liberated a full ball of Jaeger mohair from the yarn bag.
In my defence, your honour, I did add a whole bunch of yarn to the bag and the whole thing was a waste of time- the first case I was on got adjourned because the judge slipped over and broke his arm and in the second one I recognised the victim and couldn't give and impartial view.

So I'm making those Purl Bee socks for giving and they look really big. I haven't actually ever had a good look at a man's sock so I can't tell if they're meant to be big. THIS IS WHY YOU CHECK YOUR TENSION PEOPLE arrrrgh

Guys have ginormous feet. I hate knitting for my male friends, because they all have huge feet. As an idea: two guys have 11" circumference and 11" long feet, one is 9" circ and 10" length, another is 10" and 11". This site has a chart with some measurements of real men's feet. If your sock isn't hitting in there (and is bigger) then you might want to frog. Maybe.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009
Wandering Knitter:
I remember a few months ago you were looking for some Patons SWS for those cute kitties you make. I visited a LYS today and saw they had a whole whack of it. Are you still in need of this?

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

Wandering Knitter:
I remember a few months ago you were looking for some Patons SWS for those cute kitties you make. I visited a LYS today and saw they had a whole whack of it. Are you still in need of this?

Depends. Next time you're there see what colors they have. I do have a stock pile of them, but I only have about four colors.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

Wandering Knitter posted:

Depends. Next time you're there see what colors they have. I do have a stock pile of them, but I only have about four colors.

I saw the Natural Pink, the Natural Earth, and the Natural Geranium for sure, but I will email her and ask her which other ones there are :)

Brazilian Werewolf
Dec 6, 2006
--dies at the end.

madlilnerd posted:

NO I WAS TOTALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT TOO but it's because we're used to like, tiny stretchy socks. I gave them to my boyfriend and they seemed GIGANTIC but they fit him perfectly and he loves them to death, so no worries.

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
Oh, good. That's very reassuring. Especially as sock number 1 is on the home stretch. Go sock, go!

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Robin Sparkles posted:

I saw the Natural Pink, the Natural Earth, and the Natural Geranium for sure, but I will email her and ask her which other ones there are :)

I'm almost certain those are the colors I have. :ohdear: I'm starting to think that those are the only colors around, period.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

I'm almost certain those are the colors I have. :ohdear: I'm starting to think that those are the only colors around, period.

On a whim, I searched amazon and if you're buying enough it could be economical with shipping. This seller has 7 diff colors for under $4 each http://www.amazon.com/Patons-SWS-Yarn-Natural-Geranium/dp/B000JF3IR8

And some Ritz Camera site also has 7 colors of it for $4.64 each which is 20% off, if their shipping is better. http://www.ritzcamera.com/product/EP86907122msk.htm

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Brazilian Werewolf posted:

NO I WAS TOTALLY WORRIED ABOUT IT TOO but it's because we're used to like, tiny stretchy socks. I gave them to my boyfriend and they seemed GIGANTIC but they fit him perfectly and he loves them to death, so no worries.

I have the opposite problem knitting socks for my girlfriend. I'm 5'10 and wear a size 11 shoe, and she's 5'3 and wears a size 5 shoe. I'm looking at this sock thinking "there is no way in hell this tiny thing is going to fit on her foot." and then she tries it on and it fits perfectly! A plain, mid-calf stockinette sock for her takes up LESS THAN HALF a ball of Tofutsies. Sweeeet. She's getting socks for EVERYTHING EVER.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...
I got a book with some cool sock patterns, but I have big manfeet. Is there a guide to scaling up?

Also, this Soak stuff that they started selling on ravelry. Do you mix it with the water when you block, so it smells nice after?

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Fooley posted:

I got a book with some cool sock patterns, but I have big manfeet. Is there a guide to scaling up?

Also, this Soak stuff that they started selling on ravelry. Do you mix it with the water when you block, so it smells nice after?

The Soak is actually soap you don't have to rinse out. Put a bit in the water, then add the knitwear. Presto, clean items after a bit of a soak! I have some of the aquae, and I love it.

As for scaling up socks, these are the ways I usually do it:

-change to bigger needle size (which only works for a size up or down usually)
-Add pattern repeats to make longer or wider
-Use a bigger yarn (dk sock) and even larger needles

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what else you can do. :( I had the biggest pain scaling Cookie's Vilai for a friend, and that's where I got the idea for DK and larger needles.

machinegirl
Apr 16, 2002

*sigh*

Fooley posted:

I have big ladyfeet. I just keep doing repeats until I reach the beginning of my toes. The sock toe and any stretch in the yarn make for a snug, but not stifling, fit.

Ruggedor
Jan 20, 2006
Eating Babies Since 1987

Huh. What colors do you need? I'm in Richmond and they have oodles of SWS in solids and stripes at EVERY Ben Franklin. I think they're $5 for 80g. I can take a gander the next time I go, if you'd like.

Shnooks
Mar 24, 2007

I'M BEING BORN D:

FelicityGS posted:

The Soak is actually soap you don't have to rinse out. Put a bit in the water, then add the knitwear. Presto, clean items after a bit of a soak! I have some of the aquae, and I love it.

As for scaling up socks, these are the ways I usually do it:

-change to bigger needle size (which only works for a size up or down usually)
-Add pattern repeats to make longer or wider
-Use a bigger yarn (dk sock) and even larger needles

Otherwise, I'm not really sure what else you can do. :( I had the biggest pain scaling Cookie's Vilai for a friend, and that's where I got the idea for DK and larger needles.

I LOVE SOAK THAT'S ALL I HAVE TO SAY, AND I MUST SAY IT IN ALL CAPS. SERIOUSLY IT CHANGED MY LIFE.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

Ruggedor posted:

Huh. What colors do you need? I'm in Richmond and they have oodles of SWS in solids and stripes at EVERY Ben Franklin. I think they're $5 for 80g. I can take a gander the next time I go, if you'd like.

Actually, don't worry about it. I got all the colors I needed off of that amazon link! :v:

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

One more thing to knit prior to Christmas off the list! This was a commission by a friend for her mother's gift, so they're headed out the door later tonight. It's a set of La Joie du Printemps knit out of Malabrigo sock in indecieta and Araucania Itata Solid in periwinkle--both superwash, so super easy to take care of.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Now to see if I can, in fact, finish the other 75% of a sweater before Christmas on top of everything else.

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

One more thing to knit prior to Christmas off the list! This was a commission by a friend for her mother's gift, so they're headed out the door later tonight. It's a set of La Joie du Printemps knit out of Malabrigo sock in indecieta and Araucania Itata Solid in periwinkle--both superwash, so super easy to take care of.

Click here for the full 1280x960 image.

Now to see if I can, in fact, finish the other 75% of a sweater before Christmas on top of everything else.

Gorgeous. Man, what a lucky lady.

Malabrigo sock is insanely soft.

I have nothing completely done for my Christmas knitting yet. It's a little alarming. I've got one felted bowl/basket that's going to be filled with home made goodies but it needs to be felted more. Another one has just the rim knitted. A pair of handwarmer cuffs need...you know, hands. There's a little girl hat and a matching doll hat, but they need ends woven in and tassles made and attached and there's 2/3rds of a knitted preying mantis kicking around.

My back hurts!

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

Gorgeous. Man, what a lucky lady.

Malabrigo sock is insanely soft.

I have nothing completely done for my Christmas knitting yet. It's a little alarming. I've got one felted bowl/basket that's going to be filled with home made goodies but it needs to be felted more. Another one has just the rim knitted. A pair of handwarmer cuffs need...you know, hands. There's a little girl hat and a matching doll hat, but they need ends woven in and tassles made and attached and there's 2/3rds of a knitted preying mantis kicking around.

My back hurts!

Thanks!

To be an alarmist: 15 days until Christmas. All those projects sound like they are smaller scale, though, so hopefully it won't be too bad.

Wandering Knitter
Feb 5, 2006

Meow

FelicityGS posted:

15 days until Christmas.

Welp, time to go lock myself in my bedroom until all of my projects are done.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs
Heads up for those interested: DBNY just got another store closing in, and have some 2 lb $25 grab bags for those interested. Only 1 per person this time, 19 left, but I'm not wild about the contents of the sample picture.

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_170&products_id=3542

madlilnerd
Jan 4, 2009

a bush with baggage
FIRST. EVER. SOCK.

:swoon:

Suppose I best go start the second one before I lose the first (or develop S.S.S).

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

madlilnerd posted:

FIRST. EVER. SOCK.

:swoon:

Suppose I best go start the second one before I lose the first (or develop S.S.S).

Congratulations! That looks so good. Way better than my first sock. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

zamiel posted:

Heads up for those interested: DBNY just got another store closing in, and have some 2 lb $25 grab bags for those interested. Only 1 per person this time, 19 left, but I'm not wild about the contents of the sample picture.

http://www.discontinuedbrandnameyarn.com/shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=558_170&products_id=3542

Well I had to do it now. GEE THANKS. I just dropped $75.

:sigh:

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005
Phew. They were just cuffs at 6 last night. I've been knitting rather furiously.

Here's the hat I made for my little niece and the matching hat I made for her American Girl Doll:

I think I'm going to have time to make a pair of matching felted mittens - this yarn is superwash, so I'll just use that for the cuffs and make white felted mittens and maybe embroider some flowers on in the pinks. I found a pattern for mittens for an American Girl Doll too.

And this is the felted bowl I made for my brother - it's going to be filled with food goodies. I've made apple butter, cranberry chutney, clementine marmalade, homemade dill pickles, home made crackers, biscotti, and toffee. It only took about three days to knit because it uses large needles and worsted weight yarn held doubled. The rim is a tri-fold mobius strip.

I'm feeling cautiously optimistic about Christmas...

felgs
Dec 31, 2008

I love how that bowl turned out. I always love felted things, but I'm always super suspicious of doing it myself. And all those goodies sound, well, good.

zamiel
Nov 12, 2005

Pugs not drugs

Captain Stinkybutt posted:

Well I had to do it now. GEE THANKS. I just dropped $75.

:sigh:

Think of it as a Christmas present to yourself! That'd been my excuse :)

I just finished another drat hat with yarn I got in my last Grab bag, at least it's a Christmas gift, right? Then my secret Santa sent me Stitch n' Bitch and I'm in love with a few patterns in there, so I don't know if I'll ever finish this baby blanket. If I can't get back into it in a few weeks I may miss the due date :(

Has anyone used Fray Check on yarn ends? The join is fraying a bit even with trimming of the straggler bit, which usually works, and it SEEMS like a good idea, but I am a bit blond so best to ask first!

Bob Shadycharacter
Dec 19, 2005

FelicityGS posted:

I love how that bowl turned out. I always love felted things, but I'm always super suspicious of doing it myself. And all those goodies sound, well, good.

Thanks!

Felting is so cool, you should totally do it. It's easy as pie really. And it's so forgiving, any mistakes or whatever just disappear like magic. :)

Dr. Light
Dec 16, 2006
Does anyone know of any good patterns for fingerless gloves? I'm talking about the type of glove where there are individual separations for the fingers, but they only go about halfway up the finger, not the open-ended fingerless mitts which are all I can find patterns for.

Fooley
Apr 25, 2006

Blue moon of Kentucky keep on shinin'...

Dr. Light posted:

Does anyone know of any good patterns for fingerless gloves? I'm talking about the type of glove where there are individual separations for the fingers, but they only go about halfway up the finger, not the open-ended fingerless mitts which are all I can find patterns for.

Do they have to be totally fingerless? I've always been a big fan of the smoking gloves.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MarsDragon
Apr 27, 2010

"You've all learned something very important here: there are things in this world you just can't change!"

Dr. Light posted:

What I do is take a pattern for regular gloves, then only work the fingers up to about the first knuckle. Then work in ribbing up to how long you want your fingers to be. Bind off and boom, fingerless gloves!