Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Would these Samsung 2tb drives be allright? I'll be using it to replace my WD EARS drive that I'm pretty sure I hear loudly clicking in my server.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Factory Factory
Mar 19, 2010

This is what
Arcane Velocity was like.
drat, wrong thread. Sorry.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

EC posted:

Would these Samsung 2tb drives be allright? I'll be using it to replace my WD EARS drive that I'm pretty sure I hear loudly clicking in my server.

Those are nice drives, esp at $99 each.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
How hard is setting up a raid5 in WHS? It seems like a better solution than just file duplication which seems like a weird raid1 instead of raid5. Wouldn't file duplication lower your amount of diskspace by half, whereas raid5 is number of discs-1?

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

jeeves posted:

How hard is setting up a raid5 in WHS? It seems like a better solution than just file duplication which seems like a weird raid1 instead of raid5. Wouldn't file duplication lower your amount of diskspace by half, whereas raid5 is number of discs-1?

Then there really is no point in running WHS if you setup a software/hardware raid. You might as well load a better os (server 2008 r2) and setup a raid on that. Or some ZFS system that can pool similar to WHS. Unlike WHS with duplication, raid5 can result in data lose if more than 1 drive fails from the array.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Then there really is no point in running WHS if you setup a software/hardware raid. You might as well load a better os (server 2008 r2) and setup a raid on that. Or some ZFS system that can pool similar to WHS. Unlike WHS with duplication, raid5 can result in data lose if more than 1 drive fails from the array.

I really hate when people say this. WHS does more than just drive extender. I have a few computers in my house that I keep backed up, and have restored on more than one occasion. That alone would be worth it, but also the website and free dns that you get for things like sharing pictures (if you have kids) make WHS more than just a drive pool. So yes there is a point in running WHS if you have a raid setup. Honestly WHS works wonderfully on a raid array, you get the n-1 disk space and all the extra features of WHS.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
And just how is WHS going to do unlimited incremental backups with no drive extender? I sure as hell don't know.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Drizzt01 posted:

I really hate when people say this. WHS does more than just drive extender. I have a few computers in my house that I keep backed up, and have restored on more than one occasion. That alone would be worth it, but also the website and free dns that you get for things like sharing pictures (if you have kids) make WHS more than just a drive pool. So yes there is a point in running WHS if you have a raid setup. Honestly WHS works wonderfully on a raid array, you get the n-1 disk space and all the extra features of WHS.

Drive extender is the only thing that makes WHS special though. As great as they are conceptually for the average user with a lot of files, I'd bet good money the vast majority of the actual users of it are fairly computer savvy and thus could easily assemble all the other functionality on a spare PC in their OS of choice.

I have a Linux box I built in an evening as my home server. It has pooled storage, SMB, UPnP music/movie sharing, backups, etc. Literally everything WHS has aside from drive extender. If my Greyhole VM experiment works out it'll even have that too.

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Drizzt01 posted:

Pretty sure they were just asking about duplication vs Raid5. This is true that WHS has a few nice features outside of duplication.
Backup - If you run windows 7 there is an awesome built in backup utility that can write to a shared drive, lets say a drive on a server 2008 r2 box.
website/hosting/ftp - You can set this up with pretty much any OS. Configure IIS and from there you can cover all these things. I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

With that being said, I do really like WHS because its plug and play, but then again, I only use it for drive extender and duplication. My server 2008 r2 box handles backups, web hosting among other things.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Anyone looking for a atom build check this out:

http://revohtpc.com/2010/12/04/windows-home-server-on-the-cheap/

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams

redeyes posted:

And just how is WHS going to do unlimited incremental backups with no drive extender? I sure as hell don't know.

I see no way that incremental backup needs drive extender, unless I'm missing something.

Dartanion
Apr 22, 2010

FISHMANPET posted:

I see no way that incremental backup needs drive extender, unless I'm missing something.

I'm guessing he meant that without DE you would eventually fill any given disk to capacity, vs. being able to expand the pool as time goes on with DE.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Dartanion posted:

I'm guessing he meant that without DE you would eventually fill any given disk to capacity, vs. being able to expand the pool as time goes on with DE.

In that case, adding another drive will just be a more involved process of moving data around. Also, the backups don't create brand new images each backup, so this is even less of a problem than he is making it out to be provided that you start out with sufficient storage in the first place.

Also, WHS is a better solution than Linux in this situation because setting up SMB, UPnP, etc. can be a very involving and time-consuming process if you don't know what you're doing when WHS Just Works.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Just thougth I'd post some thoughts about my experience moving from WHS to Linux with RAID5.

If you have a lot of data prepare to spend DAYS shuffling data around. You'll need enough free space to move data off of drives while you add them to a RAID5 pool.
Right now, in Ubuntu, I'm copying data off of two of my 2TB WHS data drives onto two external 2TB hard drives, and it's been copying for almost 24 hours now.

I'm getting the storage pool functionality by using LVM to pool my RAID5 arrays together into one large storage volume. If I add another drive in the future, I can add it to an existing array if it's the same size as the other drives in the array (or if I don't mind losing space on it ... like if I add a 3TB drive to an array of 2TB drives, it will only take advantage of 2TB on that 3TB drive), or I have to add 3 drives to keep RAID5 protection. It's trivial to add the new space to my LVM storage pool.

If anyone is interested, I'll write up some more specific thoughts about the steps you need to take to get your data migrated over.

Anyway, I decided the biggest feature of WHS I'm going to miss is the client PC backup/restore. Right now, I'm thinking that I will run WHS in VirtualBox just for those backups.

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

TDD_Shizzy posted:

I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

With that being said, I do really like WHS because its plug and play, but then again, I only use it for drive extender and duplication. My server 2008 r2 box handles backups, web hosting among other things.

Whats the price difference between server 2008 (and the CALs) vs. WHS?

TDD_Shizzy
Feb 26, 2004

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Whats the price difference between server 2008 (and the CALs) vs. WHS?

No idea, I am a dev so I get them free through MSDN.

Server 2008 obviously offers WAY more features than WHS, and you are going to pay for that. But those features arent really going to draw the typical WHS user in, and justify the price.

Tux Racer
Dec 24, 2005

Thermopyle posted:

Anyway, I decided the biggest feature of WHS I'm going to miss is the client PC backup/restore. Right now, I'm thinking that I will run WHS in VirtualBox just for those backups.

Windows 7 Professional supports image backup to a network share. I am pretty sure it works the same as WHS in that it doesn't create a new image per backup and just indexes new and updated files and whatnot.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

wolrah posted:

Drive extender is the only thing that makes WHS special though. As great as they are conceptually for the average user with a lot of files, I'd bet good money the vast majority of the actual users of it are fairly computer savvy and thus could easily assemble all the other functionality on a spare PC in their OS of choice.

I have a Linux box I built in an evening as my home server. It has pooled storage, SMB, UPnP music/movie sharing, backups, etc. Literally everything WHS has aside from drive extender. If my Greyhole VM experiment works out it'll even have that too.

Yes you can get all the features from everything else but you have to piece a bunch of poo poo together instead of just having it in once nice package. WHS just works with all the stuff, it saves time and I don't have to try to figure what linux distro or command I need to do what function. You can backup XP and Windows 7 of any version, not just 7 Professional. And it's cheaper than 2008r2.

ClassH
Mar 18, 2008

TDD_Shizzy posted:

Pretty sure they were just asking about duplication vs Raid5. This is true that WHS has a few nice features outside of duplication.
Backup - If you run windows 7 there is an awesome built in backup utility that can write to a shared drive, lets say a drive on a server 2008 r2 box.
website/hosting/ftp - You can set this up with pretty much any OS. Configure IIS and from there you can cover all these things. I still dont see a feature that WHS has that you cant get with a 2008 r2 machine?

I agree, if they were only going to use WHS for a storage pool only there are better ways to go. The great thing about WHS was everything being in one easy to use package, which would be perfect if they were not retarded and got rid of drive extender.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Man, copying 4tb of data from one WHS box to another takes a long loving time. Can't wait till I get my gigabit stuff. :(

Mr. Clark2
Sep 17, 2003

Rocco sez: Oh man, what a bummer. Woof.

I'm about to buy a copy of WHS but have a couple questions first. Is the one listed here the one I want?
http://www.amazon.com/Microsoft-Windows-Server-System-Builder/dp/B001E5Q8CO/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1291944760&sr=8-3
Secondly, are the power packs free? Or do those have to be purchased separately? Lastly, the product that I linked to above, that includes the client software as well, right? Sorry for the dumb questions but the link isnt very descriptive.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Mr. Clark2 posted:

I'm about to buy a copy of WHS but have a couple questions first. Is the one listed here the one I want?

yes

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Secondly, are the power packs free? Or do those have to be purchased separately?
yes, no

Mr. Clark2 posted:

Lastly, the product that I linked to above, that includes the client software as well, right?

yes

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
Article about using batch files to shut off and start demigrator, for those with stuttering issues: link.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

158 grains of smiley powered justice
My whs committed suicide last night

Rip opteron single core 2gb system. I have an X4 PII with 4gb of ram that I was going to use for another build that looks like it is now going to be moved over to WHS.

Is it really as easy as just putting in the OEM disk and selecting re-install and NOT NEW INSTALLATION?

I have to make certain that all my sata drives match up on the correct ports on the new system also. Sata1 on the old is sata1 on the new? I also have a sata card that I had to use because I ran out of ports with this old one, I have two extra ports on the new motherboard so I shouldn't even need the old card correct?

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It should be that easy, although some (like myself) have had issues making the reinstallation option appear. I don't believe the ports have to match up, as long as the motherboard knows which drive is the system drive.

Prepare for a long loving wait during the reinstall process if you have lots of data.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

the total size was about 5gb with duplication. Can I just plug one of the drives into my wokrstation and retreive my pictures though? Its all sata so I figured I could just hot swap it as I have heard you can do that.

Edit-Just tried pluggin in the drive through a usb adapter. the drive appeared and appeared with the space that I remember on whs but there wasn't any data in the drive. So the drive was almost full by windows standards but I couldn't see anything.

Is this stuff hidden?

stgdz fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Dec 11, 2010

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
It's hidden, and buried. If you drill down into the folder structure after enabling hidden files you'll find your stuff. If it's only 5gb it won't take that long to reinstall the server and rebuild the data.

stgdz
Nov 3, 2006

I meant to say 5tb and I am recovering my important files now.

Well this isn't fun, WHS just booted up and skipped over the re-install CD. The new motherboard never recognized my old rear end CD drive so it went straight to the regular boot prompt.

stgdz fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Dec 11, 2010

Suniikaa
Jul 4, 2004

Johnny Walker Wisdom
So I got WHS all set up and went shopping, come home and the motherboard had poo poo itself. Godspeed Asus p4c800-e deluxe, you were a awesome board. Thank goodness newegg had a awesome shellshocker today.

stgdz posted:

I meant to say 5tb and I am recovering my important files now.

Well this isn't fun, WHS just booted up and skipped over the re-install CD. The new motherboard never recognized my old rear end CD drive so it went straight to the regular boot prompt.

Check the BIOS setting for hard drive priority, maybe it's detecting it funny.

Tapedump
Aug 31, 2007
College Slice
Question: This may have been covered already, but what is the best method for backing up the whole "WHS, its shares, PC backup data, everything" thing?

Say you've got an environment with 3 PCs, one WHS, only about 5-10GB of WHS Shares content, and 30GB of PC backups on said WHS.

You can use an external HDD to back up the Shares content easy enough, right?

And use BDBB to backup the PC backups, right? I've never done; is this reliable?

So, main question: Given the above backup routines in place, and maybe CrashPlan+ on WHS to offsite the Shares content.. what other backup setup would get the whole works up and running in case that all machines die in a fire and only the external HDD remains?

Like, can I boot periodically from a ShadowProtect ISO and clone the C: partition, etc? Or is the "have good backups, reinstall and reload your data from the external HDD" the best way to go?

I am open to any good idea.

TheChipmunk
Sep 29, 2003

Eschew Obfuscation
I'm getting a "The referenced account is currently locked out and may not be logged on to."
I think it has to do with the passwords not being the same for awhile. I changed the names to match and it should be working now but it isn't. Can I force this to reset on the WHS box? I've heard there is a 30 minute lockout or something. I'm thinking my Windows 7 client is trying to access with the wrong password over and over and this is causing the lockout...

Edit: Another issue I'm having is that WHS is saying that "port forwarding for your router has failed" even though I have all of the ports forwarded in Tomato (Firmware for my linksys router)
I have forwarded 80, 443, and 4125 to the WHS Box but its still telling me the ports aren't forwarded. Is this a bug?

Edit2: My WHS often suddenly disappears. I still see it in the router as being connected to the network but I can't access it until I do a manual restart. Is there any way to see what the hell is causing this? The machine is still on, but it just drops the connection and doesn't care to get back on the network. Very strange. I assume there is an event viewer or something? Perhaps an addon?

TheChipmunk fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Dec 14, 2010

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
KILL-GORE

I love the smell of dead Palestinians in the morning.
You know, one time we had Gaza bombed for 26 days
(and counting!)
Hi guys, i just bought the Acer WHS box from newegg and set everything up. I want to be able to stream music from my box to the internet. I have a laptop from work that's locked down but i was miraculously able to install VLC Lan on it somehow and it also has windows media player 11 on it.

What's the best way to have streaming setup in this scenario? Thanks!

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

Hi guys, i just bought the Acer WHS box from newegg and set everything up. I want to be able to stream music from my box to the internet. I have a laptop from work that's locked down but i was miraculously able to install VLC Lan on it somehow and it also has windows media player 11 on it.

What's the best way to have streaming setup in this scenario? Thanks!

Can you remote into the box?

I use Subsonic to stream from my WHS box.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BorderPatrol posted:

Can you remote into the box?

I use Subsonic to stream from my WHS box.

You mean Remote Desktop? No i can't do that... but if you mean http, i should be able to. So you can play music over subsonic via http (according to your link)?

Edit: you know what, i do have Remote Desktop Connection actually, on windows xp

Mister Fister fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 14, 2010

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Mister Fister posted:

You mean Remote Desktop? No i can't do that... but if you mean http, i should be able to. So you can play music over subsonic via http (according to your link)?

Edit: you know what, i do have Remote Desktop Connection actually, on windows xp

Yes, there's a web interface, a library stream to play in wmp, and iphone/android apps as well.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

BorderPatrol posted:

Yes, there's a web interface, a library stream to play in wmp, and iphone/android apps as well.

Oh sweet, thanks a lot, i'll check it out.

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug

Mister Fister posted:

Oh sweet, thanks a lot, i'll check it out.

I think BorderPatrol was asking if you can remote desktop into the box to install Subsonic. I will state yes you can. I just set Subsonic up a week ago and it's pretty simple to do. It will be worth the ~$15 for a Subsonic license so my wife and I can access our music anywhere with our Evos.

EDIT: You Remote desktop to the PC and login as administrator and whatever your console password is. Then just install Subsonic it will set itself up as a service and you are done. Just log into the Subsonic configuration website and pick your settings.

Mister Fister
May 17, 2008

KILL-GORE

(and counting!)

gariig posted:

I think BorderPatrol was asking if you can remote desktop into the box to install Subsonic. I will state yes you can. I just set Subsonic up a week ago and it's pretty simple to do. It will be worth the ~$15 for a Subsonic license so my wife and I can access our music anywhere with our Evos.

EDIT: You Remote desktop to the PC and login as administrator and whatever your console password is. Then just install Subsonic it will set itself up as a service and you are done. Just log into the Subsonic configuration website and pick your settings.

OH ok, yeah, i do have remote desktop on both my work laptop and my home PC, thanks.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend
What's an average time to remove a 2tb drive? It hasn't been running very long, I'm just kind of curious. I'm assuming the drive is mostly full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EC posted:

What's an average time to remove a 2tb drive? It hasn't been running very long, I'm just kind of curious. I'm assuming the drive is mostly full.

I removed several completely full 2TB drives last week and IIRC, it took like 6 hours each.

Just take the average read speed of the drive and divide it in to the total amount of data on the drive and that's pretty accurate.

• Locked thread