Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

caberham posted:

At least it's not a billingham :science: Most bags are not weather proof but I have first hand experience that Crumpler and Tamrac (suspect Lowepro too) are weather resistant in heavy rain. Water won't seep in but does a good job of keeping the compartment relatively dry and safe because of it's thick padding.

I really like the built-in rain cover on my Slingshot 200. It did a terrific job, I spent two months in Southeast Asia during the monsoon season (riding on a motorcycle for most of the time, even) and it held up great.

I'm kind of ambivalent about the bag now though; while it does what it does well (great for short jaunts without too much gear in it, and as a carry-on), for an all-day bag with medium/heavy load it starts to really bother my shoulder. It's not reversible, so you can't switch it over to the other side to even out the strain. With my Tamrac backpack you can adjust the straps to the point when hiking around 10-20 pounds is no big deal, but it's big, not as convenient in the field, etc. I think I need to re-think my bag situation before too long here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Lowepro's AW covers are fantastic, and if you're worried about your bag not having a specific weather cover, you can get that waterproofing spray from any sporting goods or camping store for very little money.

Gambl0r
Dec 25, 2003

LOCAL MAN
RUINS
EVERYTHING

caberham posted:

I have a question for all you bag lovers! I'm going on a 3 week trip across South East Asia carrying a 50D, film body and an assortment of 1 telephoto, 2 primes, 2 zooms, a laptop, speedlite, and maybe a tripod. I will probably stash a few lenses into the room and have stuff on rotation depending on location.

Would you guys go for a 7 million dollar home or a Kata 31N?

I haven't had the sweaty back problem with the Kata yet... but I didn't have it this summer, just got it in the fall. I've mainly used it hiking and with a inner wicking layer I've been comfortable.

About your trip: if you are planning on doing long stretches of walking/hiking, do your shoulders a favor and get the Kata or some other backpack. Before buying the Kata, I used the Tamrac Adventure 4 for a few years (it's like the poor man's Crumpler messenger bag). I really destroyed my left shoulder from putting too much weight on one side of my body. I would switch sides every once in a while, or put my tripod w/ strap over the opposite shoulder, but in the long run I would always come home with an aching shoulder. Going to a backpack was long overdue. Plus, your bag is securely attached to you, and won't hang off your body if you bend over. If you're bringing a tripod, you'll be able to attach it to a backpack, but not to a messenger bag (one of the main reasons I looked at the Kata is because it centers your tripod down the middle of your body and not on one side of the bag)

If you are mainly driving around and plan to stop at places to photograph, and want to be able to quickly get to all your gear, the messenger bag will work great. I still love that Tamrac bag, and will continue using it for short trips... but never again for any lengthy walking.

Edit: The 3N1-22 or -33 will hold your laptop, too.

Gambl0r fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Nov 26, 2010

Dread Head
Aug 1, 2005

0-#01

DJExile posted:

Lowepro's AW covers are fantastic, and if you're worried about your bag not having a specific weather cover, you can get that waterproofing spray from any sporting goods or camping store for very little money.

The covers are great unless you are using a bag with a tripod holder in which case you have to choose using the cover and holding your tripod or no cover and use the holder. At least on all the lowpro bags I have used. That said I normally don't bother with the cover much anymore because the padding does a pretty drat good job of keeping stuff dry.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dread Head posted:

The covers are great unless you are using a bag with a tripod holder in which case you have to choose using the cover and holding your tripod or no cover and use the holder. At least on all the lowpro bags I have used. That said I normally don't bother with the cover much anymore because the padding does a pretty drat good job of keeping stuff dry.

Yeah that's entirely fair. I don't carry tripods so I hadn't really thought of that.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Both my Crumpler bags have a side strap you can skip 2 tripod legs into.
But carrying more than 10-15 pounds of gear in a shoulder bag will get old quick.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib
I had a chance today to really pick at the National Geographic bags at my local camera store. They seem really well made, good materials and some significant thought about how people might actually use these bags. The straps and buckles were all very solid with good brass buckles and sliders. On the big shoulder bag in their "Africa" series, the shoulder strap could be adjusted from long enough to hang below my hip across my chest to short enough to be at about elbow height hanging directly down from one shoulder. There's not an additional pad on the strap, but it's reasonably wide (about 1.5 inches); when it's full of gear you'd probably get a sore shoulder from the strap pretty quickly unless you were wearing a heavy jacket or something like that.

The pockets and various small compartments for accessories were abundant and I thought quite good. The zippers are all very well waterproofed, and the canvas gave the impression it will last forever. There's no tripod holder on any of the bags I saw, but the shoulder bags have a top flap layout that looks like you could zip closed the main compartment, lay your tripod across the top, then fold down and secure the top flap with the buckles. Or something. The internal compartment is padded all around, with a piece that separates the laptop pocket. Rather than a set of velcro adjustable pads to divide up the space, they give you one brightly-coloured removable bag with a pair of moveable dividers inside; I guess you'd put your camera with walk-around lens inside that, with a couple of smaller lenses, and then your big telephoto and your flash or whatnot in the main compartment.

Overall, the NG "Africa" series bags look very good if you're looking for a large shoulder bag or a large-ish messenger bag. At my local store they're all selling for close to $200, with the different sizes not much different in price.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

I'm pretty much 100% happy with my current backpack, however, I would like another bag for various accessories. Mainly my softbox and lighting stuff. So a softbox (which has its own carry bag (roughly 12"x8"x2.5"), a couple of extra hot shoe flashes, a small shotgun mic, and tape. Also maybe extra batteries and chargers.

Anyone have some good recommendations for accessory bags?

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Thanks for everyone's input! I got myself a Kata 31N-33 today. I tried 2 versions, with laptop or without laptop holder. I'm going to dump my Crumpler keystone. It does look nicer and have more comfortable straps but the Kata has hooks and placement for a tripod holder.

I can go in all in with my lenses with their hoods and 2 speedlites too! 9Kg though, which is 2 over the hand carry 7 kg limit :smith: Normally airlines don't really check for hand carry and even allow extra duty free bags but this time I'm flying a budget airline. Should I risk it or just pad one of my film bodies, 70-200 and put it into the check in backpack?

All in all, I'm initially very impressed with the Kata 31N-33, but hopefully the smaller straps won't dig in too much over long periods of time. The sling is not as good as the non laptop version (too wide) and carrying it as a sling is too unwieldy for full load. Anyways, picture time!

snugglysheep
Oct 17, 2007

bokchoi posted:

I just received my Lowepro Fastpack 350 (paid about $100CAD), and my first impression of this thing is its sheer size; it will easily swallow a gripped body with a 70-200mm f/2.8.

http://products.lowepro.com/product/Fastpack-350,2087,14.htm

Nthing the FastPak 350, I do multicamera dSLR video work and I usually have:

-canon 5dmk2
-(2) canon t2is
-3 extra batteries
-tamron 18-55 2.8
-nikon 105mm 2.8
-nikon 85mm 2.8
-canon 50mm 1.8
-zoom h4n
-sony md7506 headphones

and still have plenty of room to spare.

I originally bought two of the FastPak 350s thinking I would need it for the amount of gear I have, and was pleasantly surprised when I only needed one. I could probably even fit everything I have in the slightly smaller model, the FastPak 250.

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

snugglysheep posted:

Nthing the FastPak 350, I do multicamera dSLR video work and I usually have:

-canon 5dmk2
-(2) canon t2is
-3 extra batteries
-tamron 18-55 2.8
-nikon 105mm 2.8
-nikon 85mm 2.8
-canon 50mm 1.8
-zoom h4n
-sony md7506 headphones

and still have plenty of room to spare.

I originally bought two of the FastPak 350s thinking I would need it for the amount of gear I have, and was pleasantly surprised when I only needed one. I could probably even fit everything I have in the slightly smaller model, the FastPak 250.
I hate this backpack. Fast? Sure if you're going to pull my shirt up and around while I whip the bag to the side. And talk about crappy weight distribution. The whole left side is way heavier. Maybe I pack like a retard but I certainly never enjoyed using this bag. Plus it's ugly.

snugglysheep
Oct 17, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I hate this backpack. Fast? Sure if you're going to pull my shirt up and around while I whip the bag to the side. And talk about crappy weight distribution. The whole left side is way heavier. Maybe I pack like a retard but I certainly never enjoyed using this bag. Plus it's ugly.

It is ugly, and I actually hate the sling load function of it. I always just feel like my camera is going to fall out when I unzip it.

It just happens to fit all my stuff!

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

snugglysheep posted:

It is ugly, and I actually hate the sling load function of it. I always just feel like my camera is going to fall out when I unzip it.

It just happens to fit all my stuff!

I've just seen other backpacks that look like they could be far better if your primary concern is fitting everything.

What's that giant crumpled bag that holds a tripod and basically every piece of equipment you could ever imagine? That seems like a good option. Basically anything that let's me center my camera with attached lens vertically in the bag is the winner in my book. Lowepro's biggest flaw, in my opinion, happens to be the whole point of their bag.

The 7 Million Dollar Home I have definitely gets uncomfortable after a period of time but it can be helped by wearing the camera on my opposite shoulder outside the bag. Not ideal I know.

snugglysheep
Oct 17, 2007

benisntfunny posted:

I've just seen other backpacks that look like they could be far better if your primary concern is fitting everything.

What's that giant crumpled bag that holds a tripod and basically every piece of equipment you could ever imagine? That seems like a good option. Basically anything that let's me center my camera with attached lens vertically in the bag is the winner in my book. Lowepro's biggest flaw, in my opinion, happens to be the whole point of their bag.

The 7 Million Dollar Home I have definitely gets uncomfortable after a period of time but it can be helped by wearing the camera on my opposite shoulder outside the bag. Not ideal I know.

Unfortunately the Crumpler backpacks are about twice the price as the Lowepros :(. I found one at a garage sale a while ago and I'm still kicking myself for not buying it.

bokchoi
Aug 8, 2000
Forum Veteran

benisntfunny posted:

I usually keep my shirt tucked in and the waistbelt slightly loose, so I haven't had any problems with the pack pulling up my shirt when I sling it to the side to access the camera. This may be more of an issue in the winter when I'll be wearing a heavy jacket, but in the summer I had no problems in this area.

I haven't noticed any problems with weight distribution; do you keep a fast telephoto in there and do you pack it horizontally or vertically?

I agree with you that it's an ugly pack; it's certainly not a casual and stylish urban trekking bag like most Crumplers are. However, I found that carrying 10lbs of gear all day in a shoulder isn't much fun, and that carrying 15 or 20lbs in the backpack is much more comfortable for me than 10lbs on one shoulder. It's only if I'm going really light with one lens and/or a flash that I might use a shoulder bag, and even then I might try to wing it with no bag at all if I think I can get away with it.

I bought the bag with the expectation that I'll be travelling and probably flying with it, and while I don't expect to have my laptop in there all the time, it is nice to be able to put all your carryons in one piece of luggage instead of spreading your stuff across a few pieces.

Klogdor
Jul 17, 2007

ExecuDork posted:

awesome nat geo review

Thanks! this sounds pretty good, I'll probably be getting one of these then :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
After comparing the Retrospective 10 and the Retrospective 20 at a local pro gear shop I settled on the Retrospective 10.

Here it is compared to my Domke J-1 (which I got on TsarAleksi's recommendation - great bag, just too big for travel):

It's the perfect size for (most of) my gear. Slightly snug for what I have in it (5D2, 24-105, 70-200 2.8 IS, 17-40, accessories) but that's what I was going for.

The shop also gave me this sweet keychain light!

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Dec 9, 2010

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MrBlandAverage posted:

hahaha that's awesome. Are those big velcro panels in the 2nd shot the only way the flap holds shut, and can you block them to keep sound down?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

DJExile posted:

hahaha that's awesome. Are those big velcro panels in the 2nd shot the only way the flap holds shut, and can you block them to keep sound down?

The flap isn't secured any other way, but it stays closed very well without the velcro. There's a cover for it so the velcro doesn't attach for quieter use. I have mine covered and the flap has never come open by accident.

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
Can you show how a camera with a 70-200 mounted fits in the Retrospective 10? I'm torn between the 10 and the 20 right now and lack of local merchandise to handle isn't helping.

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

HPL posted:

Can you show how a camera with a 70-200 mounted fits in the Retrospective 10? I'm torn between the 10 and the 20 right now and lack of local merchandise to handle isn't helping.

Not right now. Wife has the point and shoot with her.

I rarely leave the 70-200 (mine is the 2.8 non-IS) on, though. It fits ok, though. A bit bulgy at the top.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

MrBlandAverage posted:

Where can I get one of those... I need it, would go perfectly with my 24-105L coffee cup :)

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

DJExile posted:

The velcro is the only closure. It seems pretty secure, and part of the reason I got something slightly snug for my stuff is so things won't fall out even without the velcro.

With velcro silencers on:

HPL posted:

As torgeaux said, it fits just fine. I'd have gone with the 20 if the 10 didn't fit the camera with the 70-200 mounted.

Bag open:

Bag open closer up:

Bag closed:

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug

SaNChEzZ posted:

Where can I get one of those... I need it, would go perfectly with my 24-105L coffee cup :)
Agreed, I just did a quick google and ebay search but I can't find them :(

subx
Jan 12, 2003

If we hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes should fall like a house of cards. Checkmate.

HPL posted:

I went with the 20 because I have random poo poo I throw in my bag all the time (laptop chargers, other cameras, stuff for the wife, whatever), and it gives quite a bit more space.

For just a 70-200 though, I think they are both the same height, designed so a mounted 70-200 fits. It's really nice and fast to pull the camera out. And at least with the 20, access to my other lenses is really easy.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

just linking up some camera bags i've found over the past few months that aren't hideous ugly pieces of poo poo:

http://www.onabags.com/store/men/the-union-street.html#ranger-tan

http://www.goincase.com/products/detail/CL58033

for the ladies:

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Bowler-Camera-Bag,24,5.htm

and, an entire blog dedicated to finding the best camera bag:

http://www.bagexposure.com/

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

just linking up some camera bags i've found over the past few months that aren't hideous ugly pieces of poo poo:

This is gorgeous. Goddamn.

I would like that 2nd one if it didn't have that tacky signature on it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

DJExile posted:

This is gorgeous. Goddamn.

I would like that 2nd one if it didn't have that tacky signature on it.

there are three colors but the faded leather is a nice look

quazi
Apr 19, 2002

data control
Being a lefty, I'm sold on the Kata 3N1 (thanks especially to Gambl0r's video review!), but there doesn't seem to be a single store in 250 miles that has one in stock.

Before I just blindly grab one from Amazon:
- How much 'bigger' is the 30 over the 20? I don't have anything gigantic (no 70-200 yet), but with the 30 nearly three inches wider than the 20, would that make the 30 unwieldy in sling mode?
- Does the top handle put too much stress on the zippered flap it's attached to? If the bag is loaded, can you lift that handle without opening the top compartment?
- How waterproof is the bottom? I haven't seen one with a rubberized floor.
- A reviewer on Amazon is saying that small prime lenses will not stay in their dividers. Have any of you experienced that, or is he just blowing smoke?

My Gear:
- Nikon D300s (with Manfrotto quick release)
- Tokina 12-24 f/4 (main lens, stays on body most of the time)
- Nikon 35mm f/1.8
- Nikon 50mm f/1.8
- Nikon 18-200VR
- SB600 flash (rarely used, can leave this out if I have to)
- 72mm lens hood for 18-200
- 77mm lens hood for Tokina 12-24
- a few Cokin P-filters
- Nikon battery charger

quazi fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Dec 30, 2010

Fists Up
Apr 9, 2007

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

for the ladies:

http://www.acmemade.com/product/The-Bowler-Camera-Bag,24,5.htm

and, an entire blog dedicated to finding the best camera bag:

http://www.bagexposure.com/

This is my current everyday camera bag

Of course its not actually a camera bag but its width fits a camera quite snuggly.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

psylent posted:

Agreed, I just did a quick google and ebay search but I can't find them :(

Goons, get you credit cards ready!

http://cgi.ebay.com/Collectible-Canon-L-Lens-Keychain-LED-Flashlight-/180605326487?pt=Camera_Lenses&hash=item2a0cea9497

It's at $3.75 with 3 days to go. Shipping shows up at $16 bucks for me though, so I'm gonna skip this one.

psylent
Nov 29, 2000

Pillbug
Yep, $16 to me as well. I'll have to pass until I can get a cheap knock-off from HK.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

I picked this up and it's great. I'd never bought a camera bag because I'd only ever seen crap for sale.

This bag looks good, fits a whole bunch of gear and is comfortable to wear.

Already Bored fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Dec 31, 2010

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

Already Bored posted:

I picked this up and it's great. I'd never bought a camera bag because I'd only ever seen crap for sale.

This bag looks good, fits a whole bunch of gear and is comfortable to wear.

how much can you fit in it?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

There's a video on the site showing the guy who designed it stuffing it with poo poo.

Lando
Sep 15, 2003

by T. Finn
Can I get a recommendation on some kind of hand strap for a D80? Currently I just have the kit neck strap thingy. Not looking for any weird chest harness things.

BobTheCow
Dec 11, 2004

That's a thing?

Lando posted:

Can I get a recommendation on some kind of hand strap for a D80? Currently I just have the kit neck strap thingy. Not looking for any weird chest harness things.

My friend uses this little guy and swears by it. I'm surprised by how cheap it is. If you don't mind me asking, what's the appeal in a hand strap? I don't really understand how it's helpful, and I would hate having to hold on to a body the entire time I'm somewhere shooting.

In an unrelated note, I finally just got an RS-7 to replace the old school R-strap I managed to lose like a moron a few months ago. All is right with the world once more!

HungryMedusa
Apr 28, 2003

Lando posted:

I just bought a Camdapter. http://www.camdapter.com It's okay; sort of gigantic. The reason I went with it is I trust the hardware. It is very well made and the price reflects it.

There is a "Herringbone" strap on eBay that looks a little more comfortable, but I didn't want to risk $40 on something from overseas I might not like. Sorry about the color, they make it in several: http://cgi.ebay.com/Herringbone-HERITAGE-Hand-Grip-PURPLE-Type-II-NEW-/300444481135

I don't know if I would 100% recommend the actual Camdapter strap; but the plate is incredibly well made and I trust it 100%. You can pair a Camdapter adapter with the strap Bob linked to for a cheaper setup. I need to walk around with this thing more to decide if I really like it. I definitely prefer it to the neck strap, but I also ordered a thinner neck strap to pair it with for some extra protection.

And Bob, I pretty much never walked around with the camera swinging around my neck or on my shoulder. It's either in my hand or in the bag and I found myself never actually using the neck strap. A lot of times it just dangled in the way. The hand strap secures the camera in my hand.

Already Bored
Mar 5, 2004
I HAVE HIGHER ETHICAL AND MORALE VALUES. DID I MENTION I LIKE COCK

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Yesterday I was running around with:

D3s
24-70
70-200
24mm Tilt/Shift
2x Pocketwizards
Bunch of memory cards
Bunch of 35mm film

And it was full.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HPL
Aug 28, 2002

Worst case scenario.
So is that a sling bag or a shoulder bag or what?

• Locked thread