Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Just got my 650 in, and all I gotta say is WOW.

It's a lot smaller than I thought it would be (even smaller than the 505) but the screen is loving amazing.

There are contrast options!!!!!!! :neckbeard:

The touchscreen is pretty well set up, and is extremely responsive. I missed not having the buttons on the side of the reader like the 505 has for page turning, but swiftly learned I can move my thumb about 1/4" on the screen and the page turns.

This thing is cool :)

Only downside to it so far is the lack of a cover (not even a little pouch, like the 600s came with), and they went to microusb instead of keeping it mini.

That just means I gotta buy a cover or pouch from ebay, and I gotta grab a mini usb cable sometime, cause I always like to have a backup.

:dance:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007
The Notion Ink Adam, the first tablet to use the E-Ink-like Pixel Qi display is now accepting preorders!
I've been after this device ever since I bought a E-Reader. The prospect of having a true webbrowser, access to video and files, and a monochromatic display for use outdoors is exactly what I want from a tablet/E-reader perspective.

I've made a post here summarizing the NI Adam and its features: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3281154&pagenumber=56#post385527360

Here's a link to the NI blog post talking about the preorder: http://notionink.wordpress.com/2010/12/09/fiat-lux/

Here's a link to the device's site: http://notionink.com/

Le Sean
Feb 18, 2006
Magazines call me a Rockstar, Girls call me Cockstar
I'm looking forward to the Adam getting out of the door, but I'll be damned if I buy a first generation anything ever.

Peppersmith
Oct 29, 2007
They were going to launch it back in June, but lost their investors and had to find new ones. Six months of fine-tuning later, this is pretty close to Adam 2.0.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982
I'm getting myself a Kindle. Really for a few reasons.

1) I got to handle the kindle (3) in person and really like it.
2) Format doesn't matter.
3) I loving love amazon and hate B&N with a passion.

After years of reading ebooks on PDAs, it will be nice to have a larger screen, and yes, that loving LCD eye strain is awful.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

My kindle just came in today and I have to say, the screen is blowing me away.

I thought e-ink was e-ink, but it really is much crisper and faster on the refresh than the Kobo (even the new one). The interface is a million times better.

That said...I was wondering:

Is there a way I can set it so the "screensaver" is the cover of the book I'm reading?

Can I navigate my library on the kindle by covers? Or is it just text?

If it doesn't, these are minor minor things (that the kobo does) that don't detract from the better screen and interface of the kindle.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Snuffman posted:

My kindle just came in today and I have to say, the screen is blowing me away.

I thought e-ink was e-ink, but it really is much crisper and faster on the refresh than the Kobo (even the new one). The interface is a million times better.

That said...I was wondering:

Is there a way I can set it so the "screensaver" is the cover of the book I'm reading?

Can I navigate my library on the kindle by covers? Or is it just text?

If it doesn't, these are minor minor things (that the kobo does) that don't detract from the better screen and interface of the kindle.

Those would be be neat, but no I don't believe the Kindle offers either. :(

benisntfunny
Dec 2, 2004
I'm Perfect.

Sporadic posted:

He's not trolling, he's just insanely pro Apple/anti Amazon.

Not really. I think Kindle 3 is the best reader on the market right now for the money. That doesn't mean I have to agree with their methods of book distribution and lack of Adobe DRM support.

FidgetyRat
Feb 1, 2005

Contemplating the suckiness of people since 1982

Snuffman posted:

I thought e-ink was e-ink, but it really is much crisper and faster on the refresh than the Kobo

Aint this the truth! I never really wanted an eReader besides my PDAs until a few weeks ago when I saw the kindle 3 at as tore and saw the new display. The older eInk screens were nice, but nothing I had to have until now. Still impresses me how crisp the fonts are, especially vs an lcd.
These new pearl displays are fantastic.

stublag
Aug 24, 2004

I'm not sure why these bananas are following me

Snuffman posted:

Man that is such a great idea. I went through the hassle of hacking my kindle2 to get custom backgrounds, just so I didn't have to look at those portraits anymore.

This is a way better, and straightforward solution.

Turnquiet
Oct 24, 2002

My friend is an eloquent speaker.

I would be happy just disabling the portraits entirely. Just lock input from the keys until I swipe the bottom again, but leave the text right where I left it.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

The Aphasian posted:

I understand the reasoning behind DRM (although I believe you should always make it easier for people to buy and use things legally than just pirate), but a limited number of digital copies at a publicly funded library never made sense to me.
Libraries have to purchase individual copies of physical books, and the publishers aren't just going to let them buy one copy of a ebook and distribute to as many people as they want. Library sales aren't as big as Amazon or B&N, but they are still sales, and publishers are still going to get money from them.

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

tonelok posted:

Libraries have to purchase individual copies of physical books, and the publishers aren't just going to let them buy one copy of a ebook and distribute to as many people as they want. Library sales aren't as big as Amazon or B&N, but they are still sales, and publishers are still going to get money from them.

Makes sense in a way. Read a bit more of what I could find, and licensing is the biggest issue regarding ebooks (unlimited digital copies would require a pay per circulation model which would be untenable for any library; physical copies of popular books can be lent out 50 or more times a year, with turn-around time maximized by waiting lists and honest and prompt patrons). I also found out it is, and may be for some time, illegal for them to loan out ebook readers. The hardware is not an issue, but the software licenses prevent renting or lending.

I do wish there was an easy way to donate ebook licenses, just as there is with the old board and paper variety. With no storage limitations, they would only be bound by whatever guidelines for quality and appropriateness they have in place.

Apropos of nothing, here's an illuminated manuscript page from The C Writyng Langage (The C Programming Language).

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

and they went to microusb instead of keeping it mini.

Nothing uses mini-USB anymore, it's old tech and inferior.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
<:mad:> Don't care. I only have one micro usb cable, so it's a con for me since I have to go get a new couple of spare cables.

(the reader owns so hard, that the fact I gotta go buy a new cable for a backup is pretty much the only con besides lack of a cover)

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

<:mad:> Don't care. I only have one micro usb cable, so it's a con for me since I have to go get a new couple of spare cables.

(the reader owns so hard, that the fact I gotta go buy a new cable for a backup is pretty much the only con besides lack of a cover)

Yours didn't come with a charger and usb cable? I got the PRS950 a little while ago and it came with both. (USB cable and wall charger with USB socket)

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nah, same as when I bought the 505. Got a usb cable for transferring and charging but no a/c adapter. That's why I have to buy a backup cable. If I lose this one I am boned.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Weird. Hit up monoprice.com...they sell the cables on the cheaps.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/product.asp?c_id=103&cp_id=10303&cs_id=1030307&p_id=4867&seq=1&format=2

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy
Everything you buy from here on out will probably use microUSB for at least a few years though, every smartphone (minus iPhone) I've seen uses it now, along with most digital cameras and mp3 players, etc.

WithoutTheFezOn
Aug 28, 2005
Oh no
And for all those mini cables you have lying around, get a few of something like these.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

big mean giraffe posted:

Everything you buy from here on out will probably use microUSB for at least a few years though, every smartphone (minus iPhone) I've seen uses it now, along with most digital cameras and mp3 players, etc.

This is truth. I didn't have anything with Micro USB until I got my Pre, and now I don't touch any of the million Mini USB cables anymore as every new thing I've been using has Micro USB instead.

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

sirbeefalot posted:

This is truth. I didn't have anything with Micro USB until I got my Pre, and now I don't touch any of the million Mini USB cables anymore as every new thing I've been using has Micro USB instead.
I use my Pre charger to charge my Kindle, my Kindle charger for my EVO and my EVO charger as a backup in my car. I could rearrange them but I won't.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
https://www.fictionwise.com is having a pretty cool sale this weekend!

40% off all ebooks, using the code dec1010 .

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
I ended up ordering a $135 Kindle, a relatively cheap entry into this world of e-book readers. I hope it will serve me well while I am traveling for xmas as new year's.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I ended up ordering a $135 Kindle, a relatively cheap entry into this world of e-book readers. I hope it will serve me well while I am traveling for xmas as new year's.

I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Despite some of the downsides to Amazon... the Kindle really has this "user experience" stuff nailed.

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
I'm just floored that they offer the whole free 3g thing, even here in Switzerland, despite the fact that we don't even have a Swiss Amazon website. Hell, buying a new 3g kindle costs about the same as the difference between a Wifi ipad and a Wifi+3g ipad which is pretty absurd.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug
Bricked my Kindle 2 replacing the front cover. All the parts in all the stuff I've replaced, and a stupid cover repair is the one I break it on. :mad: I'm way out of warranty, too (launch day K2).

Is there anywhere that buys old Kindles for parts? I can get a refurbed K2 from Amazon for less than a K3, but I'd probably rather have a K3 for the price difference, and selling the old K2 would help defray those costs.

What really sucks is I bought my wife a K3 for Xmas, and it sits there, taunting me.

pienipple
Mar 20, 2009

That's wrong!

Deathlove posted:

Bricked my Kindle 2 replacing the front cover. All the parts in all the stuff I've replaced, and a stupid cover repair is the one I break it on. :mad: I'm way out of warranty, too (launch day K2).

Is there anywhere that buys old Kindles for parts? I can get a refurbed K2 from Amazon for less than a K3, but I'd probably rather have a K3 for the price difference, and selling the old K2 would help defray those costs.

What really sucks is I bought my wife a K3 for Xmas, and it sits there, taunting me.

Check the Mobile Read forums, that's probably your best bet for selling a busted one.

Corin Tucker's Stalker
May 27, 2001

One bullet. One gun. Six Chambers. These are my friends.
I just finished charging my Kindle 3 for the second time since I bought it - back in September. Still can't believe the battery life on this thing.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!
Girlfriend's looking at getting a Nook. Missed some sales in the past few weeks coz she wasn't quick enough on the trigger. Know of any sales coming up soon? Is the 3G worth the extra $50?

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Saint Sputnik posted:

Girlfriend's looking at getting a Nook. Missed some sales in the past few weeks coz she wasn't quick enough on the trigger. Know of any sales coming up soon? Is the 3G worth the extra $50?

If she isn't set on a nook, a Kindle 3 is $10 cheaper for both models.

Saint Sputnik
Apr 1, 2007

Tyrannosaurs in P-51 Volkswagens!

madprocess posted:

If she isn't set on a nook, a Kindle 3 is $10 cheaper for both models.

She said she researched both and decided Nook was what she wanted. Something about library books I guess.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I have a book in no-DRM PDF, except every chapter of the book is a separate PDF.

Adding the files one by one causes Calibre to treat them as different books. I thought if I created an empty book and then threw the PDF's in it's folder it might snap to and add them, but no luck.

Any ideas?

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

Craptacular! posted:

I have a book in no-DRM PDF, except every chapter of the book is a separate PDF.

Adding the files one by one causes Calibre to treat them as different books. I thought if I created an empty book and then threw the PDF's in it's folder it might snap to and add them, but no luck.

Any ideas?

Do this first?
http://www.mergepdf.net/

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
Thanks for that, but I have too many files.

Found a little Linux app called PDF Shuffler that will do it all. Still not used to having a big searchable repository of freeware, I guess.

Evil Vin
Jun 14, 2006

♪ Sing everybody "Deutsche Deutsche"
Vaya con dios amigos! ♪

Fallen Rib
So I'm looking at the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro, which is $100 on Newegg, anyone got any experience? It's either that or see if I can get a better ereader for around the same price on SA-Mart.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I saw something at walmart called a goodbook reader? It was 99$, color lcd screen, etc. Don't think it was touch though. Had a keyboard.

Don't know anything about it, but figured someone would wanna know about it :)

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Evil Vin posted:

So I'm looking at the Aluratek Libre eBook Reader Pro, which is $100 on Newegg, anyone got any experience? It's either that or see if I can get a better ereader for around the same price on SA-Mart.

Don't buy. It's a black and white LCD screen, which also doesn't have a backlight, so it's constantly drawing power AND it can't be read in the dark, worst of both worlds right there.

Save up $40 extra for a Kindle or $50 extra for a nook, you'll be far happier than with any of the $100 ereaders.

Sima Sam
Oct 4, 2010

Nah man, I'm the EVENING star. All that bad stuff was my bro.

I saw something at walmart called a goodbook reader? It was 99$, color lcd screen, etc. Don't think it was touch though. Had a keyboard.

Don't know anything about it, but figured someone would wanna know about it :)

I think I've seen one of those.

If it's a WalMart exclusive item, it has to be awesome? Right?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Armed Neutrality
May 8, 2006

BUY MORE CRABS
Holy poo poo the kindle Sunday edition of NYT is fantastic for just 99 cents. A dream come true for expats! :)