Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

ReggieCelsius posted:

hey guys,
this is my new bike.. 0kms on the odometer
Kawasaki KLX250SF

how should I run her in? :)

Hard after she's throughly warmed up. Just like...well, nevermind. ;)

Nice bike :)

(run in is basically black magic with half the people saying one way and half saying another and it not seeming to make a drat bit of difference)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!

Z3n posted:

(run in is basically black magic with half the people saying one way and half saying another and it not seeming to make a drat bit of difference)

Yeah, but one way is boring as hell, while the other is only half boring.

Boring : Avoid high rpms!
Less-Boring : Avoid keeping the rpm high for a prolonged time, but do pull hard on the throttle every once in a while...

It's also a nice bike, those blue rims are really beautiful!

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Z3n posted:

Hard after she's throughly warmed up. Just like...well, nevermind. ;)

Nice bike :)

Hey if you do it wrong, it might only last for 100k miles instead of 110k!

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm going to buy a bike from a dealer because I want to finance it.. Anything in the range of the drz400sm is fine. Should I just get a drz400sm? (I want a drz400sm)

I think this might be a dumb question.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

soy posted:

Anything in the range of the drz400sm is fine. Should I just get a drz400sm? (I want a drz400sm)
Yeah.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

soy posted:

(I want a drz400sm)

Just get the DRZ, you'll enjoy the hell out of it.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

soy posted:

I'm going to buy a bike from a dealer because I want to finance it.. Anything in the range of the drz400sm is fine. Should I just get a drz400sm? (I want a drz400sm)

It's only dumb because you knew the answer before you asked it! :v:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah.. I think I'll get that drz. :v:

Hopefully I can get a fair deal from some dealership. The dealers in los angeles seem pretty poo poo but we'll see. The ones in marina del ray might be ok.

Anyone know any good suzuki dealers? I could drive a ways.

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

SuperSlant6 posted:

I really like the looks of these bikes, especially with the blue rims. I got to find a klx 250 to test ride.
That's what I rode in my MSF course.
Then I got the KLR.
Then I got the DRZ.

The two reasons I've picked a DRZ over a KLX250SF are:
A) The same reason I was interested in a KLR - there's a TON of aftermarket information/fixes/upgrades/parts/knowledge on the internet. (Though no amount of internet knowledge base will shed 100+ pounds from the KLR, which is why I traded it in the end.)
B) I got a screamin' deal on my 10 year old DRZ.

The 250 felt like it would do anything and everything I could reasonably as from a stock bike. It was comfortable and smooth, nimble, and looked awesome.
Don't ride the KLX, unless you're absolutely prepared to buy one. =)

Kenny Rogers fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Dec 10, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

soy posted:

Yeah.. I think I'll get that drz. :v:

Hopefully I can get a fair deal from some dealership. The dealers in los angeles seem pretty poo poo but we'll see. The ones in marina del ray might be ok.

Anyone know any good suzuki dealers? I could drive a ways.

Unless Suzuki is offering some mad 0% deal over the right term that you definitely qualify for, why would you not arrange your own finance in advance, through your/a bank or a finance company?

Relying on the dealership for finance seems like asking to get the shaft.

Plus, if you have your finance arranged, getting the best price is as simple as getting a list of Suzuki dealers in traveling distance, calling/emailing them and saying you will buy from whoever gives you the best deal. Once you have the bike, if you need dealership services, just buy from the people who aren't assholes.

Also, unless there's something special about vehicle finance in CA, that means you can buy a used bike and save money. Hmm, a goon might have a DR-Z for sale....

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Buying a new DRZ is an idiot move, and this is coming from a guy who bought a new DRZ. It's the worst new bike in the world. Don't buy a new one. Buy one already modded to hell and beat the gently caress up. There is literally nothing good about a new DRZ. It's not pretty, it's not shiny, it's not more reliable, it's not less abused, it's just expensive. Everything about its stock out of box self basically sucks. The exhaust sucks, the intake sucks, the gauges suck, the brakes suck, the seat sucks, the tail sucks, etc. These are the things owners change over time and transform the DRZ into the 'I'll never sell this thing' bike everyone says they are.

I loved mine and would recommend them to a new rider any day of the week, but you have to mod the hell out of them.

Get a used one, even if you have to pull financing to do so.

[/real talk]

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Yeah for $3-4k you could get one with every possible mod. May be the fan boy in my talking but I'd also consider a KTM 625 smc as an option. And others depending on how much you want to spend.

You're in so cal so you'll have a lot of options.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
Z3N had a nice one for sale. And he lives in SoCal AFAIK. *cough*

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Nice one for sale with a leaking headgasket. Stupid thumper racing big bore kit :argh:

Also spiff speaks the truth about buying a new drz. Why do you want to finance it?

Z3n fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Dec 10, 2010

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Z3n posted:

Nice one for sale with a leaking headgasket. Stupid thumper racing big bore kit :argh:

I just looked at the spec on that thing. Yours appears to BE the one for $3-4k with every conceivable mod that Christoff is talking about.

If I were Soy, I'd buy it and just replace the HG.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Yeah it's pretty loving absurd, honestly.

Especially considering that it'd come with every DRZ spare in my garage. Which is quite a bit of stuff. :sigh:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

Also spiff speaks the truth about buying a new drz. Why do you want to finance it?

Just a cashflow thing mainly. I have never secured a loan before hand, although my credit is pretty good.

I've been waiting to sell my car for a few months as my wife was using it for school but finals are coming up so I have a good window to sell it, replace it, and get myself a bike... So that we can both have transport and I don't have to use horrible public transit to get to work. (she leaves school late, so public transit wouldn't be safe for her due to the walking through high crime areas)

Anyways, Z3N if your thing works I'd buy it. I just need to figure out the financing.

I don't know how to replace an HG but it cant be that bad?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

Just a cashflow thing mainly. I have never secured a loan before hand, although my credit is pretty good.

I've been waiting to sell my car for a few months as my wife was using it for school but finals are coming up so I have a good window to sell it, replace it, and get myself a bike... So that we can both have transport and I don't have to use horrible public transit to get to work. (she leaves school late, so public transit wouldn't be safe for her due to the walking through high crime areas)

Anyways, Z3N if your thing works I'd buy it. I just need to figure out the financing.

I don't know how to replace an HG but it cant be that bad?

Honestly, I could probably do a headgasket swap in a few hours of work, it's not a particularly difficult or time consuming job, I'm just not really motivated to do it. Plus I'd make more money parting out the bike anyways. If you're really interested, hit me up on AIM or email me at conand at gmail and we can talk about it. I'm not sure of anything until I drain the oil and make sure there wasn't any cross contamination between the coolant and the oil. I know that oil was getting into the coolant but I want to make sure that water didn't get into the oil, as that'll gently caress up an engine right quick.

If I were in your shoes I'd probably either be looking at this:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sfv/mcy/2105922399.html
or this:
http://losangeles.craigslist.org/sgv/mcy/2105088367.html

The more expensive one if you're not interested in tuning, although I'd get rid of that drat Yoshi pipe first thing, and the cheaper one if you want to build yours up with mods.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

Holy crap someone actually bought that like $1,500 dual yosh pipe!

Buy that one and sell the stupid pipe and buy an MRD or standard yosh.

Nothing is stopping you from getting a personal loan or a used bike loan, you can still finance it to build up credit if you want.

Just don't buy a new one, for all the reasons I already stated.

Edit: Also if Z3n's bike's not totally toast (head gasket job isn't a big deal) then I'd suggest buying his.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

Holy crap someone actually bought that like $1,500 dual yosh pipe!

Buy that one and sell the stupid pipe and buy an MRD or standard yosh.

Nothing is stopping you from getting a personal loan or a used bike loan, you can still finance it to build up credit if you want.

Just don't buy a new one, for all the reasons I already stated.

Edit: Also if Z3n's bike's not totally toast (head gasket job isn't a big deal) then I'd suggest buying his.

A couple of people have bought them, apparently the design is better for midrange. But yeah, I'd buy an MRD or Yosh or just find a stock exhaust and pocket the 800-900$ you could get for it. Mainly because DRZs are built for crashing and those exhausts are not.

I think I'd probably have my bike sold if I wasn't so loving anal about making sure it's in perfect working order and will continue to be into perpetuity before I sell it. I'm probably a little too honest for my own good. :v:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Z3n posted:

If you're really interested, hit me up on AIM or email me at conand at gmail and we can talk about it.

I'll contact you on AIM.

I really, really hate dealing with craigslist and I'm not in a rush so we can probably work something out.

Besides, I'd rather take advantage of your honesty.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

soy posted:

I'll contact you on AIM.

I really, really hate dealing with craigslist and I'm not in a rush so we can probably work something out.

Besides, I'd rather take advantage of your honesty.

Cool, sounds good. I'm not usually online during the weekends though. I'll be doing testing and stuff on the GSX-R and the 250. Send me an e-mail and I'll give you my number and you can call me at some point and we can discuss the options.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Leggin' out with proper boots and shin/knee guards is a workout.

I got my SIDI vertigos (From the dude here) Not bad. My icon shin/knee prtoctors actually fit quite well with them and the boot sort of holds them in place (since I wear them over jeans and they slide around a bit) I just tuck my jeans and everything else in. Now I feel safe :downs:

Also, it's set. In about 2-3 months I'm going to slowly sell my bike. Then get a motorcycle loan, put abot $3-4k down, and get a 08 or 09 690 SMC.

Also, planning a trip for sometime when the weather gets better early-mid next year. Thinking SoCal (PCH) to San Fran. Then from there Washington and Portland. Pretty much making a big West Coast circle.

Spiff. I'll be sleeping on your couch at least once, thanks. And possible you z3n.

Nostalgia4Dogges fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Dec 12, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Glad the boots are working out for you Cristoff :)

for real sumo postin itt

I have no idea why this didn't occur to me before but... all the "big" tracks (normal road courses) around me allow sumos on them. This past season I had a hell of a fun time blasting around on my 625, but realistically it's not suited to that kind of track riding. This may be blasphemy in this thread but honestly I think I'd like to halfass dualsport the thing and make it a slightly more trail ready 'touring' rig.

Even though the bike would still be at an advantage, a sumo'd out YZ450F is going to be more up to par on a big track (geared correctly, of course) than a stock 625smc, right? Granted the YZ has no speedo but even with stock DIRT gearing I would say it topped out around 75 and was still pulling hard. Hell the little fucker makes as much or more power than the 625 and weighs almost a hundred pounds less, there's no reason it couldn't push taller gearing for road course...

Now here's my concerns -- How well would the YZs engine hold up to sustained high rpm running? In the woods and even on MX tracks (ridden by good people even! not me who just putts around) the engine gets some breaks. You're going WOT for sure, but there's a much more braking time with all the tight corners and such. On a road course you'd be pinned a good chunk of the time... at least I was on the KTM anyway, I don't think a true sumo would be much different. I'm fully aware the yz's engine not going to be bulletproof like the LC4 is but what kind of life will I see from the engine if I change the oil constantly? Is there any easy way to increase oil capacity or add an oil cooler?

The 625s suspension works ok on the track but has some substantial dive. The YZs suspension can take big hits with ease offroad, but the first chunk of travel is super soft to absorb small bumps -- how annoying is the YZ's suspension going to be on a road course? Would it need to be revalved or would I be able to get by just changing fork and shock settings?

What all is even involved in sumo'ing a bike beyond wheels/tires, rotors, caliper bracket, caliper (I assume I'd have to go with a stronger caliper for track use, the dirt caliper wouldn't cut it)... new master cylinder? There's not much fluid in a dirt m/c, probably need more for higher heat handling capabilities? Obviously different gearing would be needed. Do sumo wheelsets come with cush drive hubs? Is that even necessary?

This post may contain the most questions ever asked in a single post. Apparently I felt the need to vomit a bunch of words onto the internet. Sorry CA :shobon:

I also just realized my plan is to change a streetbike into a dirtbike and a dirtbike into a streetbike. What the gently caress is wrong with me :psyduck:

Fake edit: In before Z3n's GET A TRACKBIKE

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

FWIW I saw guys running Honda CRF450s at my trackdays. The bikes took the abuse fine from what I could tell, but I'm sure that when they got home the bikes were torn down for a valve check, oil change, air filter replacement, etc., at the minimum.

At least I'll be repping my 625SMC at the track. :colbert:

Edit: And you know that to do your YZ's suspension proper you'll need it revalved. It's designed with dirt in mind...

FuzzyWuzzyBear fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 14, 2010

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Honestly I had a shitload of fun on the 625 at the track, and I know for a fact it made me a better rider. Brake less, corner faster, etc. It was good fun riding around people on sportbikes on that gangly big bastard of a bike, had lots of questions asked about it in the pits, many thumbs up from other riders. But those riders you out braked and flew by? The ones you passed on the outside of a long sweeper? They're going to zip right around you on the next straight. Every. loving. Time.

It's just incredibly frustrating. Yes, I'm well aware I'm not able to ride the 625 to its fullest and there's time I could pick up all over the track. But in all reality it's not designed for it. It's also pretty fuckin demoralizing when a goddamn SV650 motors you on a straight :argh:.

So basically, the YZ sumo'd wouldn't be any different!

I previewed and caught your edit so I didn't have to edit... edit:

Yeah I mentioned revalving in the previous post. To do things RIGHT you should revalve them, but honestly the last few inches of travel on the YZs forks is VERY stiff to keep from bottoming out. Hell, I overshot a stepdown and managed to land flat from ~18' up, the bike bottomed out but not hard. It's loving amazing. The suspension on it is pretty progressive as well -- I THINK you could mess with the comp/rebound settings on it and make it reasonable for road course use. I also could be completely wrong :shobon:

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

I know that the CRF's were keeping up with 600's on the (short) straights (at Loudon), so your YZ may be in the same league as that. I'm not sure of the power differences between them but I'm assuming they're similar. I suppose if you wanted to just stiffen up the suspension without a revalve you could start by upping your compression damping...not sure if you want to also up the rebound damping but you definitely want more compression damping. You could also be ghetto and put a spacer in your forks to manually compress the springs and add some preload.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Glad the boots are working out for you Cristoff :)

for real sumo postin itt

I have no idea why this didn't occur to me before but... all the "big" tracks (normal road courses) around me allow sumos on them. This past season I had a hell of a fun time blasting around on my 625, but realistically it's not suited to that kind of track riding. This may be blasphemy in this thread but honestly I think I'd like to halfass dualsport the thing and make it a slightly more trail ready 'touring' rig.

Even though the bike would still be at an advantage, a sumo'd out YZ450F is going to be more up to par on a big track (geared correctly, of course) than a stock 625smc, right? Granted the YZ has no speedo but even with stock DIRT gearing I would say it topped out around 75 and was still pulling hard. Hell the little fucker makes as much or more power than the 625 and weighs almost a hundred pounds less, there's no reason it couldn't push taller gearing for road course...

Now here's my concerns -- How well would the YZs engine hold up to sustained high rpm running? In the woods and even on MX tracks (ridden by good people even! not me who just putts around) the engine gets some breaks. You're going WOT for sure, but there's a much more braking time with all the tight corners and such. On a road course you'd be pinned a good chunk of the time... at least I was on the KTM anyway, I don't think a true sumo would be much different. I'm fully aware the yz's engine not going to be bulletproof like the LC4 is but what kind of life will I see from the engine if I change the oil constantly? Is there any easy way to increase oil capacity or add an oil cooler?

The 625s suspension works ok on the track but has some substantial dive. The YZs suspension can take big hits with ease offroad, but the first chunk of travel is super soft to absorb small bumps -- how annoying is the YZ's suspension going to be on a road course? Would it need to be revalved or would I be able to get by just changing fork and shock settings?

What all is even involved in sumo'ing a bike beyond wheels/tires, rotors, caliper bracket, caliper (I assume I'd have to go with a stronger caliper for track use, the dirt caliper wouldn't cut it)... new master cylinder? There's not much fluid in a dirt m/c, probably need more for higher heat handling capabilities? Obviously different gearing would be needed. Do sumo wheelsets come with cush drive hubs? Is that even necessary?

This post may contain the most questions ever asked in a single post. Apparently I felt the need to vomit a bunch of words onto the internet. Sorry CA :shobon:

I also just realized my plan is to change a streetbike into a dirtbike and a dirtbike into a streetbike. What the gently caress is wrong with me :psyduck:

Fake edit: In before Z3n's GET A TRACKBIKE

I'd guess that you're going to see race replacement intervals/work when you big track on a 450.

Suspension: you're gonna want a revalve and respiring + shortening for proper sumo.

No need for a new mc or caliper, new gearing is a must, not usually, no.

I'm gonna rehash an old favorite and say you should buy a cheap SV. For the price of a decent set of forks plus the labor to get them modded for sumo and a wheelset, you could buy an sv with decent suspension, track it, and toss some bars on it for street riding.

Or you could swap the ktm wheels onto the yzf and the yzf wheels onto the ktm and solve all your problems at once!

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

So how do you pronounce Husqvarna anyways? I was watching a German video and they clearly said "husk-var-nuh" even though I figured they would be saying the V like a W. If I'm not pronouncing it right how will I get any sumo street cred?

Zool
Mar 21, 2005

The motard rap
for all my riders
at the track
Dirt hardpacked
corner workers better
step back

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

So how do you pronounce Husqvarna anyways? I was watching a German video and they clearly said "husk-var-nuh" even though I figured they would be saying the V like a W. If I'm not pronouncing it right how will I get any sumo street cred?

hoos-kvarna

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
apparently I shouldn't ask about pirating Windows

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

I say it the way that's in your post. Alternatively, just say Husky.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

"husk-var-nuh"

All the ads for chainsaws I've seen pronounce it this way too.

I'm pretty sure there's more than one way to say it though and I'd imagine that it'd be like something I heard years ago from a Porsche sales exec that it doesn't matter really which way you say it, just that you buy it.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Can't let this thread die! :negative:

I was riding around on New Year's Day and somebody was pacing me for at least three miles on the highway snapping pics of me and shooting video. I was not doing anything special. Nobody rides sumos in Connecticut though, and definitely not with race leathers, so I'm sure I stuck out.

I also stopped to chat with some guys on new-ish literbikes and my KTM immediately took over all conversation and adoration, even though my bike was dirty as all poo poo with encrusted salt. It's pretty funny how many times I've had the "What is that thing/that thing looks awesome" conversation over the past three months.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Took the DRZ out for a ride on New Years eve. Hit some back roads then messed around in town a bit. It really is the best bike I have found for getting around town, especially if your in a hurry.

drat thing likes to drain it's battery though if it isn't ridden enough. Almost didn't have enough juice to start this time. Guess that means I just need to ride it more.

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

NitroSpazzz posted:

drat thing likes to drain it's battery though if it isn't ridden enough. Almost didn't have enough juice to start this time. Guess that means I just need to ride it more. A KICKSTART

Got you bro. :respek:

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

How old is the battery? Mine never drained from sitting.

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003
My battery on the DRZ drains quickly too. I actually went through 2 OEM batteries in 3 years which sucked. Found a "cuiser accessories" (or something similar) brand battery that was only $50 and came with at 2 year warranty. I've had a lot less issues since. I currently just keep my battery tender hard wired to the bike for convenient charging.

I would love to install a kick starter though. (or Speed Works battery upgrade kit at a minimum)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I've got both of those things available shortly if you want them. I just haven't posted my DRZ partout thread yet...:sigh:

cmorrow001
Feb 22, 2003

Z3n posted:

I've got both of those things available shortly if you want them. I just haven't posted my DRZ partout thread yet...:sigh:

I'll keep my eyes open (or shoot me an email at cmorrow001 at gmail). I definitely would like a kick start!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empire Waffles
Apr 3, 2009

Z3n posted:

I figured you sold it or something. My DRZ could use a few of those pieces.

• Locked thread