Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiramisu posted:

Are there any games along the lines of X-com/Jagged Alliance 2/Silent Storm worth playing? I've already played Fallout Tactics, didn't care for it. Despite taking a sharp downturn at the end and having some ridiculous bugs, SS is probably closest to what I'm looking for. I liked that every class was useful and it didn't become rifles only, and the destructible environments really opened up approaches. The gun stuff isn't that important to me- I can't tell one pistol from another. I'm just looking for another game that puts emphasis on small squad management and strategy. None of the Japanese tactical RPGs I've played have really given me a similar feeling, though the Fire Emblem series is probably closest.

That are worth playing? Probably not. The only recent games that are like that are the Apeiron games Brigade E5 and 7.62 mm. Both of those have pretty interesting and honestly fairly good combat systems, everything else surrounding those games is terrible.

Actually Bats' suggestion of Men of War isn't bad, it's different in a lot of ways, what with it being fully real time, but it is small squad tactics. Even when you're part of larger battles, you're only controlling a smaller squad of men.

edit: The western market pretty much completely abandoned the genre. The only developments come from Japan in the form of SPRGs and in eastern europe. But now that I think about it, a few Japanese games may qualify. You should give the Front Mission games a shot. Front Mission 3 for the PS1 and 5 for the PS2 are my favorites. They aren't as in-depth as Jagged Alliance, not by a long shot, but they are still pretty different from your standard japanese SRPG, such as the way that they focus on ranged combat, the use of cover, locational damage on your mechs, and the western inspired designs of the mechs themselves.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Dec 7, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Bats posted:

I read this and the first thing that popped into my head is Dungeon Siege 1. It's light on the story, group play, real time combat, and I had a ball playing through the single player and even doing co-op in the entirely new multiplayer map. Lots of loot drops too and varied weapons. The second I didn't have as much fun with, and well Dungeon Siege 3 is coming out eventually from Obsidian so it'll be awesome, if bug infested, but still awesome.
On the contrary, I found the first Dungeon Siege really, really repetitive and tedious, but Dungeon Siege 2 was a lot more fun with more focused storylines... and very cool "ultimate" abilities your party members can get, eg once a minute your dude can hit someone for massive damage, or nuke the whole room, or heal everyone, or whatnot.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?
Yeah, I know the genre pretty much died off in the west with Sir-Tech (RIP) but I figured there might have been something from Russia/eastern Europe that could fill the gap.

I actually have tried E5, but my impression of it was that it was more of a tech demo than a game. I'd also played the original Front Mission but it felt a lot like most Japanese TRPGs. Did they change up the formula in the later ones? Not that I dislike Japanese TRPGs, I just have enough of them right now. I'll probably look into Front Mission 3 if they updated, though FM5 looks like it was Japan only.

The thing that I feel sets the western/Russian tactical games apart is that they make more use of the environment for line of sight, obstruction, and elevation. From the demo, it seems like Men of War handles that well. It's really nice to see a game where the battlefield is actually open enough to allow for tactical maneuvers. Is the demo indicative of the normal game's difficulty? Because it was really loving hard. I turned it down to easy, and troops would still get torn up if a pathing error made they run into the open. Before I pick it up, is it worthwhile to get steam's gold pack or the theatre of war collection?

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Tiramisu posted:

I actually have tried E5, but my impression of it was that it was more of a tech demo than a game. I'd also played the original Front Mission but it felt a lot like most Japanese TRPGs. Did they change up the formula in the later ones? Not that I dislike Japanese TRPGs, I just have enough of them right now. I'll probably look into Front Mission 3 if they updated, though FM5 looks like it was Japan only.

The series hasn't really changed drastically from the first game, so I'd just pass on them.

quote:

Is the demo indicative of the normal game's difficulty? Because it was really loving hard. I turned it down to easy, and troops would still get torn up if a pathing error made they run into the open. Before I pick it up, is it worthwhile to get steam's gold pack or the theatre of war collection?

It's mostly up front difficulty learning the game controls and mechanics. Once you get the hang of those (which will take a while) the game isn't particularly hard. Unfortunately, the second Russian mission (the one right after the demo) is one of the harder missions in the game.

The gold pack gives you the expansion which is an extra single player addon. You don't need it for multiplayer or anything, but if you intend to plow through all of the campaigns, you might want it.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

What are some really good JRPGs which got a US release but not a EU/UK one?

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Luminaflare posted:

What are some really good JRPGs which got a US release but not a EU/UK one?

Suikoden III, although I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the series.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together—there's a really excellent-looking remake coming out for PSP soon

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 02:58 on Dec 9, 2010

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Tiramisu posted:

I'd also played the original Front Mission but it felt a lot like most Japanese TRPGs. Did they change up the formula in the later ones? Not that I dislike Japanese TRPGs, I just have enough of them right now. I'll probably look into Front Mission 3 if they updated, though FM5 looks like it was Japan only.

The thing that I feel sets the western/Russian tactical games apart is that they make more use of the environment for line of sight, obstruction, and elevation. From the demo, it seems like Men of War handles that well. It's really nice to see a game where the battlefield is actually open enough to allow for tactical maneuvers. Is the demo indicative of the normal game's difficulty? Because it was really loving hard. I turned it down to easy, and troops would still get torn up if a pathing error made they run into the open. Before I pick it up, is it worthwhile to get steam's gold pack or the theatre of war collection?

Front Mission 3 is a lot better than FM1, IMO. It's not hugely different, just enough to be an improvement. The biggest change is probably that they made machine guns and shotguns ranged weapons just like rocket launchers. In FM1, you had to get right next to guys to use your guns, but in FM3 that is only the case with melee weapons. This makes it a lot better to me. Also, FM3 had a larger emphasis on smaller squads. These changes may not completely turn you around on the series, but it makes for a better game.

Front Mission 5 is Japan only, but there is a complete translation patch, if you have a hacked/modded PS2 or can run a PS2 emulator. I honestly haven't played more than a few missions of FM5, but it seems good.

As for Men of War, yeah, it's loving hard as hell. That never changes. In Co-op, it's a bit easier, but still it's pretty brutal. I haven't played Red Tide, but I heard it wasn't all that great, so I can't really comment on the collections. edit: Looking it up, Theater of War seems to be an unrelated game published by the same publisher, but made by different people. And it's older and looks much worse.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Dec 9, 2010

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Rollersnake posted:

Suikoden III, although I wouldn't recommend it as an introduction to the series.

Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together—there's a really excellent-looking remake coming out for PSP soon

Already have Suikoden 3, got it with the imported console.

e: should have probably mention, the game isn't for me, it's for a friend who's a massive jrpg fan.

e2: Also Suikoden 3 is the only imported game he has.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

So I lent guitar hero 2 and my plastic guitar gizmo to a friend a few years ago (back when GH2 was the newest iteration in the series, pre-rock band). This past weekend I finally got it back from him. I haven't paid any real attention to this genre in the meantime, and am wondering which of the many guitar hero / rock band products to check out now. Keep in mind I'm not really interested in buying a bunch of other fake plastic instruments (which probably keeps me in the GH, not rock band, camp).

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

schwein11 posted:

So I lent guitar hero 2 and my plastic guitar gizmo to a friend a few years ago (back when GH2 was the newest iteration in the series, pre-rock band). This past weekend I finally got it back from him. I haven't paid any real attention to this genre in the meantime, and am wondering which of the many guitar hero / rock band products to check out now. Keep in mind I'm not really interested in buying a bunch of other fake plastic instruments (which probably keeps me in the GH, not rock band, camp).

The guitar will work with both games, although each have their own features these days that you won't be able to use without a newer controller. Rock Band games are far, far better than Guitar Hero games in terms of the track lists. Check their pages on wikipedia and choose the one with the most songs you like.

schwein11
Oct 13, 2009

Category Fun! posted:

The guitar will work with both games, although each have their own features these days that you won't be able to use without a newer controller.

Do you mean features that require a different instrument controller (e.g. drums)? or that the guitar controllers nowadays have some other feature to them that my GH2 guitar lacks?

Category Fun!
Dec 2, 2008

im just trying to get you into bed

schwein11 posted:

Do you mean features that require a different instrument controller (e.g. drums)? or that the guitar controllers nowadays have some other feature to them that my GH2 guitar lacks?

I'm not sure what Guitar Hero has, but Rock Band has an extra set of frets for use during solos, that don't need the strum bar to be pressed while you use them. You can play the solos normally, but I think the new frets make them easier on higher difficulties.

Pharnakes
Aug 14, 2009

Tiramisu posted:

Before I pick it up, is it worthwhile to get steam's gold pack or the theatre of war collection?

Theatre of war is as hardcore as it gets, tank models/penetration in paticular is modeled in mind boggling detail, and its a horrible performance hog even on modern machines.

That said I loving love it, its one of those games where the graphic ingame look ten times better than the screenshots, especialy if you can crank them up to max. The interface is clucky at times but gets the job done well enough, most of the missions vairy from hard to extremely hard, with a few downtright impossible thrown in for good measure.

On the whole if you like games that are extemely hard and challanging, very historicaly accurate, and can live with last generation graphics, ToW is for you. If you prefer graphics, faster pacing, and less realistic gameplay MoW is your game, although I havent tried the expansion.

Final note, ToW for some reason adores SLI, or at least the first one did, so if you happen to have SLI you can probably forget about its perfomance problems.

Pharnakes fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Dec 9, 2010

Demian D
May 27, 2001
I know I can't make my penis bigger, but I want it to stop smelling of prawns
I just picked up Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light based on the PC Gamer review (87%), and I'm loving it. I'm more or less completely ignorant about recent action/arcade/gamepad based games, so could anyone recommend me any more titles with the same type of gameplay? I particularly like the aiming-with-the-right stick feature, if that helps at all. Oh, and I hate the sort of platformer that requires pixel-perfect precision jumping.

If anyone is in two minds about picking up this title, by the way - I'd wholeheartedly reecommend it - sheer good fun and not at all frustrating.

Thanks.

Thelonious Monk
Apr 2, 2008

Life and music: all about style.
I've sold my ps3 a while back, and I'm still itching for some decent gaming. Problem?The only hardware I have now is a netbook. I already have Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars, and this thing can handle both beautifully. What other good RPGs are there? Don't really want to play Morrowind. I've tried it, and it was such a slow paced game. Offline stuff is ideal, so no MMOs please.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

fivetwofour posted:

I've sold my ps3 a while back, and I'm still itching for some decent gaming. Problem?The only hardware I have now is a netbook. I already have Neverwinter Nights and Guild Wars, and this thing can handle both beautifully. What other good RPGs are there? Don't really want to play Morrowind. I've tried it, and it was such a slow paced game. Offline stuff is ideal, so no MMOs please.

I've been starting the Baldur's Gate "trilogy" for my winter break. So far it's really impressed me. Anything else Infinity Engine is a real safe bet, so consider Planescape: Torment and Icewind Dale as well.

Diablo II is a hell of a lot more fun multiplayer, but you might be able to get enjoyment out of the single player.

Spiderweb Software has some really nifty old-school style games, but a few of them (Avernum 4) aren't as solid as the rest. I recommend Avernum 2, 3, and Blades, and the first two Geneforge games. They all have pretty expansive demos, so you should be able to play them for some time even without paying.

cmndstab
May 20, 2006

Huge Internet Celebrity!

Rollersnake posted:

If I was to play the this (the original, not the remake) without having played any other Tactics Ogre games, would I be missing out on much?

Angry Guacamole
Dec 2, 2007

Oh God run away
Can anyone recommend a good RPG or action-RPG for the 360? I haven't played a good one in a long time and I'm really jonesing for one. I already have Fallout 3/NV, and beat Oblivion, Fable II, and Alpha Protocol.

Angry Guacamole fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Dec 10, 2010

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Angry Guacamole posted:

Can anyone recommend a good RPG or action-RPG for the 360? I haven't played a good one in a long time and I'm really jonesing for one. I already have Fallout 3/NV, and beat Oblivion, Fable II, and Alpha Protocol.

Fable 3 just dropped and its a bundle of fun if you liked Fable 1/2. Don't forget 2 Worlds 1/2 and Divinity: Ego Draconis. Word of warning, those last ones aren't typically considered "good."

saberwulf
Mar 3, 2009

Pipe rifles and snack cakes.

Angry Guacamole posted:

Can anyone recommend a good RPG or action-RPG for the 360? I haven't played a good one in a long time and I'm really jonesing for one. I already have Fallout 3/NV, and beat Oblivion and Fable II.

Go get Nier.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nier_%28video_game%29

It is literally one of the best games ever made. It's just barely fits into the RPG genre on account of how much content is in this game. It is a mix of pretty much every genre ever but can mostly be boiled down to: Legend of Zelda with music better than Crono Trigger, characters better than Final Fantasy and a story written better than just about any movie. The boss fights are a mix of LoZ, bullet hell games and Bayonetta. Also you have to finish the game at least 4 times to get the final ending.

saberwulf fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 10, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
I'd call it more of a mediocre, heavily-padded action RPG with an unusually good plot and some fun boss design, but I guess that's enough for me to recommend it as well.

One More Fat Nerd
Apr 13, 2007

Mama’s Lil’ Louie

Nap Ghost
So MY GIRLFRIEND and I just beat RE5 (on amateur, when we started she'd never played an FPS before) and I'm looking for other PS3 games with good local multiplayer. So far I have RE5, Borderlands, Worms 2 and Mod Racing. Neither of us are really into sports games. She didn't like Dynasty Warriors 6 much, said the guy constantly yelling whenever he defeated a named dude got on her nerves (it drove a roomate of mine totally up the wall too). It helps if the game is newbie friendly.
Is Black Ops worthwhile for local multiplayer?

Anything on the PSN I should look for?

Oh and I totally recommend Nier, it turns into a goddamn text adventure at one point, who can hate that?

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Well here is a question for you, are there any decent rpg-fighting game hybrids? I love Dissidia: Final Fantasy and I even loved Soul Caliber 3 because of it's chronicles of the sword mode. Preferably, it would be on either psp, ps2, wii or gamecube, as those are the only systems I have. Any Ideas would be most appreciated.

Tiramisu
Dec 25, 2006

Hey, where did you go!? Do you really dislike seeing my face that much!?

Pharnakes posted:

Theatre of war is as hardcore as it gets, tank models/penetration in paticular is modeled in mind boggling detail, and its a horrible performance hog even on modern machines.

That said I loving love it, its one of those games where the graphic ingame look ten times better than the screenshots, especialy if you can crank them up to max. The interface is clucky at times but gets the job done well enough, most of the missions vairy from hard to extremely hard, with a few downtright impossible thrown in for good measure.

On the whole if you like games that are extemely hard and challanging, very historicaly accurate, and can live with last generation graphics, ToW is for you. If you prefer graphics, faster pacing, and less realistic gameplay MoW is your game, although I havent tried the expansion.

Thanks, this is just the kind of information I was looking for. It sounds too grognard for me, I've never really been interested in the differences between models of guns and vehicles.

Probably just gonna grab base Men of War and look into borrowing FM3. Thanks for the recommendations.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Madmarker posted:

Well here is a question for you, are there any decent rpg-fighting game hybrids? I love Dissidia: Final Fantasy and I even loved Soul Caliber 3 because of it's chronicles of the sword mode. Preferably, it would be on either psp, ps2, wii or gamecube, as those are the only systems I have. Any Ideas would be most appreciated.

If you want to hunt down Ehrgeiz for PS1 to play on your PS2, that might be worthwhile. It has a dungeon RPG mode I really enjoyed at the time. There was a great variety of equipment that affected your fighting style, and all equipment was visible on your character.

Madmarker
Jan 7, 2007

Rollersnake posted:

If you want to hunt down Ehrgeiz for PS1 to play on your PS2, that might be worthwhile. It has a dungeon RPG mode I really enjoyed at the time. There was a great variety of equipment that affected your fighting style, and all equipment was visible on your character.

You are right, that is right up my alley, unfortunately.....I already have that game, vincent is awesome as is that weird ninja/samurai dude, I can't remember the name for the life of me.

Midrena
May 2, 2009
I'm a complete kleptomaniac in games. One of my favourite things to do in Oblivion (and I spent a huge amount of time doing this) was picking locks, going into people's homes, and stealing all of their poo poo. I'd clean out everything.

I also kind of like the whole 'what you see is what you get' system with regards to loot. Like, if I see someone wearing a feathered hat and a green vest, I'd like to be able to get that hat and vest if I were to, uh, knock him out or whatever.

Could someone recommend me a game (PC or DS only please)? I guess I'm looking for an RPG, but if there's any game in any other genre that fits, then I'd love to know.

Harold Ramis Drugs
Dec 6, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I thoroughly enjoyed the Castle Management aspects of Baldurs Gate 2/Neverwinter Nights 2/Dragon Age: Awakenings. I'm looking for another RPG style game that has a strong Base Management sideplot. The setting doesn't have to be fantasy either (I really enjoyed the research sideplot for ME2).

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe

Midrena posted:

I'm a complete kleptomaniac in games. One of my favourite things to do in Oblivion (and I spent a huge amount of time doing this) was picking locks, going into people's homes, and stealing all of their poo poo. I'd clean out everything.

I also kind of like the whole 'what you see is what you get' system with regards to loot. Like, if I see someone wearing a feathered hat and a green vest, I'd like to be able to get that hat and vest if I were to, uh, knock him out or whatever.

Could someone recommend me a game (PC or DS only please)? I guess I'm looking for an RPG, but if there's any game in any other genre that fits, then I'd love to know.
Risen had really fun thievery mechanics. NPCs would keep a close eye on you if you entered their rooms, and attack if you stole their stuff while they were looking, but it was all the more satisfying when you were sneaking in unnoticed, and could get away with it.

Fallout: New Vegas has a lot, perhaps even too much stuff to steal - and indeed in most cases when you see someone wearing something you desire, you can kill them and put it on yourself.

Also the obligatory Thief series recommendation.

quote:

I thoroughly enjoyed the Castle Management aspects of Baldurs Gate 2/Neverwinter Nights 2/Dragon Age: Awakenings. I'm looking for another RPG style game that has a strong Base Management sideplot. The setting doesn't have to be fantasy either (I really enjoyed the research sideplot for ME2).
You wouldn't be disappointed with Majesty, its expansions, and the somewhat weaker but newer Majesty 2.

pigdog fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Dec 14, 2010

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Midrena posted:

I will just repeat the guy over me but it would be strange if you played Oblivion but didn't try Fallout 3 - from THE SAME DEVELOPERS. You can steal everything there but unlike Oblivion no psychic guard will catch you unless somebody actually sees you steal. In case you haven't played it I recommend starting with the plain Fallout 3 + all expansions (Point Lookout is a must-have) and only THEN going for Fallout New Vegas as it's such an improvement over Fallout 3 that you would put it down the other way.

I would also recommend to go to the Fallout 3 Nexus site even before playing it for the first time and get all the popular texture and faces models mods - they make this game have the best graphics even now. Don't go for gameplay-changing mods though - you could ruin your first experience.

Another recommendation from me would be Divine Divinity (yep, the first one). It's an action-rpg Diablo style where you can take absolutely everything from the ground. Almost nothing is decoration. Bonus points for experimenting and using ridiculous stuff for weapons. Nothing puts a bigger smile on your face than a game that lets you use kitchen pots as helmets and brooms as swords :smug:.

Palpek fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Dec 14, 2010

Vier
Aug 5, 2007

A while ago there was a thread for an online card game in the same vein as MTG
tried looking through the forum and searching google but came up empty :(

Also if I can get any recommendations on games like MTG thats FREE that would be cool thanks.

FlyFishinInnuendo
Apr 14, 2005

Vier posted:

A while ago there was a thread for an online card game in the same vein as MTG
tried looking through the forum and searching google but came up empty :(

Also if I can get any recommendations on games like MTG thats FREE that would be cool thanks.

You're probably thinking of Elements (http://www.elementsthegame.com/)

It's a free online CCG that is very similar to Magic, I had fun playing with it for a while.

FlyFishinInnuendo fucked around with this message at 19:35 on Dec 15, 2010

Midrena
May 2, 2009
Thanks for the recommendations, Pipdog and Palpek. For some reason I didn't even really think about Fallout: New Vegas so I'm going to be drat sure to pick that up along with your other suggestions (I usually am not really big on science fiction-y type games).

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49
Not sure if the thread was intended for this but I need help making a choice! Alpha Protocol or Risen? I was just doing a 2nd playthrough of the Witcher but decided I didn't want to burn myself out before the sequel arrives. I tried the Risen demo and thought it lacked some polish, but the combat seemed refreshingly different. And sadly combat is supposedly the worst part of Alpha Protocol. Is that the case?

pigdog
Apr 23, 2004

by Smythe
They're both good games, though quite different. Risen is oldschoolish and has a (mostly) open world going for it; Alpha Protocol is more linear, cinematic and depending on your choices the story can change quite a lot, which is fun. Combat is a bit weird on both; in Risen it's about timing the attack correctly rather than button mash, in Alpha Protocol the guns start out and sometimes stay inaccurate. But you can't go wrong with either; get whichever is on sale cheaper at the moment.

Lingling
Jun 13, 2008

Wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, wiggle, yeah~
I've searched (half-assedly) and couldn't find a "I've forgotten the name of the game" thread, so I figure this might be the best place to ask.

I'm looking for a game that I played as a demo circa 1997-1998. I'm pretty sure it was released with Riven as a demo version. From what I remember it was first-person RPG (maybe adventure or point and click), based in medieval-style setting with 3D graphics, and you could talk to people. It had a very Riven-like feel to it. I've done some manual searching, and nothing's popped up. It's really bugging me now. I'm sorry I can't provide more information, but I was only 8 at the time :(. Any clues or suggestions on what the game might be would be much appreciated!

XboxPants
Jan 30, 2006

Steven doesn't want me watching him sleep anymore.
I finally upgraded my PC and I'm ready for gaming again, and I'm looking for a certain kind of RPG. The announcement of Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has me jonesing even more for an RPG where you level up your skills/stats by using them. I'd love any game in that style; games that give you rewards based directly on how you play. I know there are a variety of other great RPGs like Mass Effect, etc, and I'm on those, but I'm having a hard time finding any decent "level up stats by use" games. It's not exactly an easy thing to google for. The most prominent other current game I've found like that is Darkfall, though I think Mount & Blade has that system, too. But I'd prefer more single-player oriented games.

Even indie games or flash games would be interesting to me (also DS & Wii if there's any there, I suppose). Any favorites/suggestions?

Craeb Maet
Apr 24, 2007
I pinch.
Getting a Nintendo DS for Christmas and looking for game recommendations of a few different types.

Dungeon crawlers(Diabloish), Hack and Slash loot grab games, Collect'em all type games was looking to get in to pokemon but no idea where to start, I liked harvest moon when I tried it out and animal crossing so games like those as well.

Any games like these or RPGs, new or old doesn't matter as I have never owned a DS.

Craeb Maet fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Dec 16, 2010

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben

Craeb Maet posted:

Getting a Nintendo DS for Christmas and looking for game recommendations of a few different types.

Dungeon crawlers(Diabloish), Hack and Slash loot grab games, Collect'em all type games was looking to get in to pokemon but no idea where to start, I liked harvest moon when I tried it out and animal crossing so games like those as well.

Any games like these or RPGs, new or old doesn't matter as I have never owned a DS.

With Pokemon the best place to start is either Heart Gold or Soul Silver. Those are remakes of Pokemon Gold and Silver for the GBC, which were considered by many (myself included) to be the best Pokemon games. They make heavy use of the day/night cycle, have a lot of fun things like the bug-catching contest and the best iteration of the Safari Zone to date (a customizable "zoo" where you can determine which Pokemon are available to be caught), and some surprisingly decent and addictive minigames like Voltorb Flip and the Pokelympics. If you can still get Heart Gold/Soul Silver with the Pokewalker accessory, that's a fun little diversion well worth checking out too.

I'm not an expert on Harvest Moon, but I know that the general consensus is that the first DS Harvest Moon games (Harvest Moon DS and the girl version Harvest Moon DS Cute) are considered among the worst games in the series due to glitches and a lack of content. I'm pretty sure the best DS Harvest Moons are actually the Rune Factory series, which are spin-offs that integrate RPG gameplay into the Harvest Moon formula.

There's very little in the DS Animal Crossing that isn't also in the GameCube or Wii versions, so I wouldn't recommend it if you're already familiar with the series. What you might want to check out is a game called Magician's Quest by Konami that basically took the Animal Crossing formula and ran with it. Imagine Animal Crossing with more depth and a lot more things to do, and set at a Harry Potter-like magic academy.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 16, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

i3lueHorneT
Jun 26, 2010
I want to try out a 2D side-scrolling RTS like Swords & Soldiers. It needs to be something I can be offline to play. I don't think I would enjoy a fantasy setting but if it's good I may get into it.