Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus
Wife went to Target tonight and she found a gift card with a lego set attached. The thing was it's completely free. You just pay whatever you want to be on the card. I don't know if there's a minimum or not. It just makes the little target logo'd white dog, but hey, free legos.

ChesterJT fucked around with this message at 02:31 on Dec 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

What planet is this again?-- OH SHIT

tonelok posted:

If I had the money and the photography skills, I'd turn my office into this:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepa_quin/5247385092/in/set-72157625451218566/

This guy basically recreated Andy's Room from Toy Story:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/pepa_quin/sets/72157625451218566/with/5247385092/

This is insanely cool, the level of detail and number of pieces is just astounding. It doesn't even look like Lego until you get closer, and the minifigs are the perfect size for it.

My own share&tell isn't as slick but here it is anyway, since I can finally say it's done. Here's some highlights:

You can see everything here or check out my ramblings on MOCpages.

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
About drat time. poo poo owns.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Yeah, now I can take even longer to make something bigger!

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
Guys built a functioning Antikythera Mechanism out of technic...baller.

http://www.boingboing.net/2010/12/09/how-the-antikythera.html

...just came across this awesome ad too:

Mascot fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Dec 10, 2010

Mascot
Feb 10, 2010
I figured this warranted its own post:

Walmart has Toy Story Construct-a-Zurg for $10 with 97 cent shipping.

UberNils
Jan 11, 2006

NO DEEP LINCOLN
Thanks to this thread I now know there's a LEGO show right near me this weekend thanks to a comment on a flickr photo. So, uh, thank you LEGO thread for starting up a rather convoluted series of events which should ultimately lead to woo LEGO show!

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

InfinEight posted:

My own share&tell isn't as slick but here it is anyway, since I can finally say it's done. Here's some highlights:

That's awesome. I must admit, I found the design weird in the first WIP pictures you posted, but it turned out really good.
Love the little details like the internal access hatches for the landing gears!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mascot posted:

I bought ten, a couple for myself, a half dozen or so for christmas presents, and a couple to put away for 4 years and sell for a blajillion dollars down the road.

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Mascot posted:

...just came across this awesome ad too:

That is too cool to be real.

chappey
Jan 21, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

a couple to put away for 4 years and sell for a blajillion dollars down the road.

I've seriously considered doing this with a few Harry Potter sets.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Mascot posted:

I don't think I've ever seen this guy in stores, which I thought was a shame... until now! I bought 4. If I hadn't taken advantage of TRU's sale last week it would have been more though.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

That's awesome. I must admit, I found the design weird in the first WIP pictures you posted, but it turned out really good.
Love the little details like the internal access hatches for the landing gears!

Thanks! I wanted a mixture of a C-130 Hercules, Semi-Truck, and Matrix Hovership with a sorta steampunk feel. If I ever make another version, maybe I'll use Zurg's torso as the fuel tanks.

Found this just now:

\/\/\/It should be visible pretty soon, I added one more image this morning and Brickshelf seems to update around the middle of the day. Most of it is on MOCpages though.

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 19:48 on Dec 10, 2010

A Child's Letter
Feb 21, 2005

"¡No llores! Gracias por esas fotos."
\
:backtowork:

InfinEight posted:

"This folder is not yet public" :saddowns:

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

You nerds may like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RLPVCJjTNgk&feature=player_embedded

Or maybe not, as it lacks swooshability.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

Mascot already posted that (on this page) and it's drat cool. I'd still swoosh it too.

\/\/\/ I think we all did :fh:

InfinEight fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Dec 10, 2010

testtubebaby
Apr 7, 2008

Where we're going,
we won't need eyes to see.

InfinEight posted:

Mascot already posted that (on this page) and it's drat cool. I'd still swoosh it too.

Goddamn it... my eyes must have darted past it toward the pixelated boobs.

Canopus250
Feb 18, 2005

You guys are taking me along this time? Right? Wait Shaundi is going? This is bullshit man!

So I got some random Series 3 and got two extras for trade:
1x Race Car Driver
1x Tennis Player

I would trade for any of the following: Fisherman, Pilot, Gorilla, Rapper, Samurai, Baseball Player, and Elves. Shoot me a pm or something if you want to deal.

Edit: Likewise if anybody can find 3-6 Elves I would love you forever. Both stores in town got raided before me and I found one of everything else. I'd pay better than retail.

Canopus250 fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Dec 11, 2010

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

ireladd posted:

Yeah, unfortunately there were very few stores outside of the LEGO Store that actually carried the Advent Calendar, and if you went looking for one on Saturday, unfortunately LEGO had just discounted as soon as December started from $34.99 to $9.99, so they flew off the shelves quick. Congrats on the Bricklink find though!

Aww hell, I'm never going to get a cat, am I. I've only seen one in this and that $80 fire station.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

This looks like a nice buy:

Click here for the full 1326x1060 image.

This, this thing:

Click here for the full 1350x918 image.

I don't know. I really don't like the two-piece cockpit, it really doesn't fit the rest of the shape. I do like the new wing plates, and the click-style cargo bay doors, and the trans-blue clip-plates as solar panels. If the price is decent I can see myself buying both.

Goldwarf
May 24, 2010

by Y Kant Ozma Post
I'm a pretty big fan of games like Blockland, Minecraft, and even LEGO Universe, and I have to admit, after playing them for awhile I think it would be really hard for me to go back to physical blocks, especially considering how expensive they are. Having unlimited bricks also has a huge appeal. Has anyone actually made the jump to 21st century block building and then gone back to the real thing? What made you decide to?

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me

InfinEight posted:

This, this thing:

I don't know. I really don't like the two-piece cockpit, it really doesn't fit the rest of the shape. I do like the new wing plates, and the click-style cargo bay doors, and the trans-blue clip-plates as solar panels. If the price is decent I can see myself buying both.

The shuttle owns and comes with lots of good new pieces. Look at the orbital maneuvering system (engine cover) white cockpit canopies. But look at how bullshit that astronaut's suit is. It's a white Atlantis scuba pack. That just doesn't look right, stupid cost-cutting measures.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Is that the Space line for the upcoming year? If so, gently caress that bullshit. The new Shuttle looks terrible (what are they thinking with that nose piece?) and can a minifig even ride in the rocket from the other set?

Grimble
Jul 7, 2002

He will build a castle with garden on an island called Cheshire, and he is permitted to breed.
Looking forward to the Star Wars advent calendar next year :)

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

I'm not terribly excited about the new space sets either. They remind me of what City looked like a couple of years ago. Low detail due to only having a few, big pieces. The color scheme is ugly too. It sounded so promising when they announced they were cooperation with NASA. :(
They got some nice pieces, though.

tonelok
Sep 29, 2001

Hanukkah came early this year.

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm not terribly excited about the new space sets either. They remind me of what City looked like a couple of years ago. Low detail due to only having a few, big pieces. The color scheme is ugly too. It sounded so promising when they announced they were cooperation with NASA. :(
They got some nice pieces, though.
Everybody is forgetting these are literally targeted towards kids, per NASA. In that respect, they are pretty cool, although I would think a kid would want Space Police.

http://www.brickset.com/search/?theme=City&subtheme=Space

There is supposed to be a larger set for adults, and not just just the 1200 piece Shuttle Adventure. My guess is the space station.

Evek
Apr 26, 2002

"It's okay. I wouldn't remember me either."
Yeah City has always been the introductory theme. No real advanced building techniques have been used like in the other themes. I may pick up a few of the moon buggies for the white diver suit and gold visor.

\/\/\/\/Those aren't really City though.

Evek fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Dec 11, 2010

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Evek posted:

Yeah City has always been the introductory theme. No real advanced building techniques have been used like in the other themes. I may pick up a few of the moon buggies for the white diver suit and gold visor.

The winter bakery and toy store I bought beg to differ.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

The ARC-170 Starfighter was on sale at Smith's/Fred Meyer for $42, plus they had a one-day coupon for 30% off all Lego. That made each one half off so... I bought two.

That's about $230 in Lego since the beginning of November. 'Consumer Whore' mode, activate!

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Mike the TV posted:

The winter bakery and toy store I bought beg to differ.

Lego is a spiral. You start at City, progress through Space or Adventure or Pirates to Creator, then to Technic, and then you loop back to City, but this time there's a thousand blocks in a set and none of the studs point up.

Flavor Bear
Jan 13, 2008

Bear Love is Best Love

InfinEight posted:

That's about $230 in Lego since the beginning of November. 'Consumer Whore' mode, activate!

Don't feel too bad. I'm already $100 into December, and it's only been 11 days.

Veeb0rg
Jul 24, 2001

THIS CONVERSATION IS NONPRODUCTIVE!
Since Nov 1, I've spent at least $460 on lego.

e:f,b :(

Veeb0rg fucked around with this message at 08:02 on Dec 12, 2010

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
And posted multiple times already. Twice, on this page, no less.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Isn't it possible to build ones own Shuttle nosepiece out of Lego while keeping the rest of the design?

pad thai hi-five
Aug 11, 2003

Oven Wrangler
New van experiment. It's cable-remote-controlled, and I'm about to buy the necessary stuff to actually build it this time. I wanted to build something that could fit in with the Creator car stuff:

Click here for the full 1280x831 image.

Click here for the full 1280x831 image.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006

InfinEight posted:

This, this thing:

There are some nice parts in the rocket launch. Atlantis fluted columns in red and possibly gray (the body of the little satellite thing. I'm not sure if they're gray or white) Lots of those x-frame pieces in red, and the top of the rocket looks a lot like the cement mixer drums, but I can't see any technic pin holes on the sides, so it's possible it's a new piece.

As for the shuttle, using a helicopter cockpit is pretty lame. The wings and tail appear are new, but otherwise I don't see anything worth having in it. The contrast of the smooth cockpit to the studdy wings is really ugly, IMO.

Phyresis posted:

The shuttle owns and comes with lots of good new pieces. Look at the orbital maneuvering system (engine cover) white cockpit canopies. But look at how bullshit that astronaut's suit is. It's a white Atlantis scuba pack. That just doesn't look right, stupid cost-cutting measures.

Those parts in white are already in the good Space Shuttle, and the big SW Imperial Shuttle as well. As for the astronaut suit, yeah, it's half-assed, but I like the part, so I guess I'll give it a pass and be happy to have it in a new color.

Katana Gomai
Jan 14, 2007

"Thus," concluded Miyamoto, "you must give up everything you have to be my disciple."

Question: Am I the only one whose Lego Kingdoms calendar comes with a ton of extra poo poo? I usually have two of every accessory in a given box, sometimes more. When I got the minifig yesterday, motherfucker came with three swords. Same for the sword in the stone today. I feel like I made out like a bandit.

Shuppiluliumas
Nov 9, 2006
Someone just posted the inventory for one of the new Atlantis sets on Bricklink, the Drill Sub:

Pretty cool set. But what really caught my eye are the new pieces:

Also black hot dogs.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shuppiluliumas posted:

Pretty cool set. But what really caught my eye are the new pieces:

Not gonna lie, those new pieces are pretty drat cool.

InfinEight
Apr 25, 2007

The new pieces are a definite plus with the 2nd Atlantis wave. Also, this should be alongside that Predator bust so they can growl at each other:

http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=454648

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aug 26, 2006

The Magic Number

College Slice
The pile of tiny skeletons in the base is hilarious.