Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Wojtek posted:

I don't get the hate for McGuillicutty, other than his terrible promo leaving NXT. I like him.

Basically he's just very generic unless he's doing the Mr. Perfect Jr. gimmick and they went away from that instead of towards it. Not actively good or bad, just kinda there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

McGillicutty is world champ material.

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008

CSammich posted:

McGillicutty is world champ material.

Maybe for FCW.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Endorph posted:

Barrett will probably come out of this an upper midcarder, Gabriel, Slater, and Possibly Harris have a good chance of coming out of this as solid midcarders, and Bryan already got elevated to upper midcard status off of this. Sorta.

It's not perfect but the only ones I can see coming out of this fired/jobbing are Otunga and McGillicutty, unless you count guys who got cut loose like Tarver and Young.

Upper midcarder? I think it's pretty clear at this point that Barrett is a future main eventer.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Wojtek posted:

I don't get the hate for McGuillicutty, other than his terrible promo leaving NXT. I like him.

Can't talk, can't work*, no charisma, generic look. When you open the Create-a-Wrestler in a wrestling game and save without making any changes, you have a McGillicutty CAW.

* I don't especially care if he can work when he's working like Mr. Perfect. If he doesn't work like Perfect, that's irrelevant.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

MassRayPer posted:

Why wouldn't the Raw roster just show up and beat their asses again like they did last week?

Maybe they were too busy backstage doing whatever doing they were doing every week from June through November

If you want to be really specific about it then no they haven't done ever done an angle where rookies trash the ring and attack superstars then wrestle then have John cena as a butler but it's also pretty easy/accurate to just perceive it as "New Breed on Raw" or "Spirit Squad with a tall Nicky"

I'm actually a little disenfranchised by Nexus. Their debut got me really into wrestling again but they've lost way more than they've won and IMO all look really weak now.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Captain Charisma posted:

no idea short of a guy shooting his opponent in the dick to win a match has been done.

Thanks for giving away the ending to next week's Steen/Generico match, buddy! :argh:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Endorph posted:

Barrett will probably come out of this an upper midcarder, Gabriel, Slater, and Possibly Harris have a good chance of coming out of this as solid midcarders, and Bryan already got elevated to upper midcard status off of this. Sorta.

It's not perfect but the only ones I can see coming out of this fired/jobbing are Otunga and McGillicutty, unless you count guys who got cut loose like Tarver and Young.

Barrett at the very least will be an upper midcarder unless they Swagger him. He's got so much potential and he's already so good that it would be the worst case of even steven booking ever if they screw him up.

I feel like they're still high on Otunga so he's probably safe. Rest is midcard/curtain jerk/future endeavor material.

Jerusalem posted:

Thanks for giving away the ending to next week's Steen/Generico match, buddy! :argh:

No no no, Generico will hit him with a Molson. Imported from Mexico.

Space Cob
Jan 24, 2006

a pilot on fire is not fit to fly

Captain Charisma posted:

No no no, Generico will hit him with a Molson. Imported from Mexico.

BREWBUSTAAAH~!~!~!???

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
What was Maven's (Tough Enough Season 1 winner) run like and did he havy any notable feuds?

I'm watching RR 2002 right now and after seeing his appearence and I can't imagine him being anything other than jobbed and squashed into the ground.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Sue Denim posted:

What was Maven's (Tough Enough Season 1 winner) run like and did he havy any notable feuds?

I'm watching RR 2002 right now and after seeing his appearence and I can't imagine him being anything other than jobbed and squashed into the ground.

He had what seemed like a never ending series of matches with Tazz. I just remember reading Smackdown results every week and wondering why Raven had changed his name to Maven and was having matches with Tazz every loving week. I was barely following wrestling at this time and hadn't seen an episode of Tough Enough.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Sue Denim posted:

You remember right, he was pretty much jobbed and squashed into the ground.

eta: Well, his first run at least. After a couple years of that, they moved him back up the cards into a feud with Evolution, then he turned heel and hung around the mid-card and got canned.

oldfan fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Dec 10, 2010

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
Thanks guys, it sounds like he lasted a good deal longer than I would have given him at least.

There's something kind of unsettling watching him get what looks like a pretty stiff beat down around the arena from the Undertaker including a slobber knocker of an unprotected chair shot seemingly enthusiastically, knowing that it was probably one of the greatest thrills of Maven's life.

One more question for around this era, when did the Undertakers biker gimmick stop and how did they end it and bring back the Deadman gimmick?

Jay 2K Winger
Oct 10, 2007

What are you looking for?

Sue Denim posted:

One more question for around this era, when did the Undertakers biker gimmick stop and how did they end it and bring back the Deadman gimmick?

Bikertaker lasted from Judgment Day 2000 until Survivor Series 2003, when he was buried alive by Kane. The Buried Alive Match was actually Taker vs. Mr. McMahon-- who pretty much did nothing except bleed loving everywhere while Taker pummeled him. Then Kane shows up, sets off a pyro in his face, chokeslams him into the grave, and hits the switch to bury him in the dirt.

Fast forward to Royal Rumble 2004. Kane's in the Rumble, and when the buzzer hits for the next entrant, the lights go out. BONG. Kane flips out, gets eliminated in the distraction, and goes on a tear for the next two months as more eerie videos and strange happenings take place during Kane's matches. (Smoke emanating from under the ring, raining indoors, Kane's pyro not working, the lights going weird colors, and the ring levitating.)

Match is booked for WrestleMania 20. Kane vs Undertaker. Taker shows up with Paul Bearer, in Deadman mode, and whoops Kane's rear end.

Eleanor Pwnsevelt
Dec 25, 2003

Sue Denim posted:

Bikertaker vs Vince McMahon in a buried alive match with unmasked Kane interfering and costing taker the match. Months later after lots of teasing, deadman made his return w/ Paul Bearer at WM 20 against kane in a kinda squash match

Lloyd Van Buren
Feb 19, 2010

FESTIVE PEOPLE!

Sue Denim posted:

Thanks guys, it sounds like he lasted a good deal longer than I would have given him at least.

There's something kind of unsettling watching him get what looks like a pretty stiff beat down around the arena from the Undertaker including a slobber knocker of an unprotected chair shot seemingly enthusiastically, knowing that it was probably one of the greatest thrills of Maven's life.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WUR_YxaESUc

Undertakers entrance from WM20. Worth watching for Kanes reaction as well as everything else.

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
I can't believe Bikertaker was only 3 1/2 years. It felt so much longer. Most of 2001-03 did too, I guess.

I remember people wanting him to go back to the Deadman gimmick/making up rumors that he'd go back to it as early as like, 2002.

Brickhouse Betty
Sep 11, 2001

Well well well

Captain Charisma posted:

I can't believe Bikertaker was only 3 1/2 years. It felt so much longer. Most of 2001-03 did too, I guess.

I remember people wanting him to go back to the Deadman gimmick/making up rumors that he'd go back to it as early as like, 2002.

poo poo, I remember knowing a guy who sold motorcycles regularly to Taker, and him telling me one day, when Undertaker was on hiatus, that "after this current vacation, Undertaker is gonna come back as a biker and not a zombie. It's gonna suck, but that's what the dude wants to do. And when that dude tells you he wants to do something, who the gently caress is gonna argue?"

And then two days after BikerTaker appeared, he was right there talking about how much better Undertaker was as a weirdo undead than a redneck biker.

Apparently NO ONE liked the biker thang other than 'Taker and his very very close friends. And them only because they saw it as him starting to act like a real person and not a drama king.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009
Well I've pretty sure he wrestled more during the 3 1/2 years he was Bikertaker than in the 7 years since (not including house shows).

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
Bikertaker gets a BIT of a worse rap than it deserves, but it was pretty much overwhelmingly negative

1. It didn't make any sense for him to come back as that. He had gradually become more "realistic," but he was a cult leader when he left. Suddenly he's a redneck biker? Whuh?
2. His big baby tantrum/DDP debacle during the Invasion. Probably doesn't end up THAT lovely if he's still Deadman or Ministry Taker.

Shadow225
Jan 2, 2007

Q: Who has a worse spear than Edge?
Q: Do you guys think that wrestling will ever gravitate back to meaningful midcards and cool stables? I loved stables.

ChikoDemono
Jul 10, 2007

He said that he would stay forever.

Forever wasn't very long...

Bikertaker had the best facial expressions, though. Considering that he cut his hair, you could actually see them.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I think the other problem is (I definitely thought it sucked for the record) was it rang a little too true, I can't imagine Mark Calloway being too different from BikerTaker and after seeing him so comfortable with all the mythos stripped away as much as I wish it didn't, it took something away from the Undertaker.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
BikerTaker had one of my favorite lines from an in-ring confrontation.

"I may not dress like it anymore, but I'm still down with the Devil and I will go mideval(sp) on your rear end."

ChampRamp
Mar 29, 2010

:siren: SAVE_US.CHR :siren:
I LOVED BikerTaker :smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

ChampRamp posted:

I LOVED HEEL BikerTaker :smith:

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Shadow225 posted:

Q: Do you guys think that wrestling will ever gravitate back to meaningful midcards and cool stables? I loved stables.

Nexus not workin' for ya?

Edwardian
May 4, 2010

"Can we have a bit of decorum on this forum?"

Fallon posted:

Nexus not workin' for ya?

Or LayCool? Even the Orton/DiBiase/Rhodes stable?

ZoDiAC_
Jun 23, 2003

Or SES, or even going back a year or two King Booker's Court or the Cabinet or Spirit Squad . . .

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

When he said "cool stables" maybe he means face stables cuz only heels are being listed.

MisterGBH
Dec 6, 2010

Eric Bischoff is full of shit

oldpainless posted:

When he said "cool stables" maybe he means face stables cuz only heels are being listed.

Thinking about it, I'm struggling to think of a recent face stable...

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People
Stables really lend themselves better to heels because the face is supposed to be the underdog.

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008
I loved BikerTaker but I always hated when he said poo poo like this:

CobiWann posted:

"I may not dress like it anymore, but I'm still down with the Devil and I will go mideval(sp) on your rear end."

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
BikerTaker will leave you in the middle of the desert and you're going to be wearing rattlesnake boots by the time you make it back.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Atticus Finch posted:

I loved BikerTaker but I always hated when he said poo poo like this:

Some of the stuff he did as a heel was awesome. Not the stuff with Vince, because that was just gross. But when BikerTaker was going around injuring the poo poo out of people, it made him look insanely intimidating.

When he was going after Flair's friends and family. And when he slammed Matt Hardy throat first into the end of a chair, it was so damned brutal and devastating looking that I can still remember it vividly.

In short there was some really cool stuff about Biker Taker, but there was also some really, really awful stuff and I guess it depends on what you choose to remember.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

Burrito posted:

BikerTaker will leave you in the middle of the desert and you're going to be wearing rattlesnake boots by the time you make it back.

Actually that was before he went Biker

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Wojtek posted:

What has he done/said since then? Hasn't he just kinda hung around? I think all we can say at this point is "he's not terrible, so long as he doesn't really do anything".

Happy Happyist
Jul 23, 2007

I need your assistance to make the world blue and change it into a happy and peaceful society.

George Kaplan posted:

What has he done/said since then? Hasn't he just kinda hung around? I think all we can say at this point is "he's not terrible, so long as he doesn't really do anything".

I think he should be the first one eliminated in anything from now on.

NXT Season 5, even though he's on the roster.
Tough Enough.
Any Battle Royal.
Royal Rumble.
Any new stable, join then get 'injured' the same night.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Happy Happyist posted:

I think he should be the first one eliminated in anything from now on.

NXT Season 5, even though he's on the roster.
Tough Enough.
Any Battle Royal.
Royal Rumble.
Any new stable, join then get 'injured' the same night.
Survivor: WWE, everyone feels a compulsive need to vote for him but they can't remember how to spell his last name.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Horse Pepsi
Aug 26, 2010

by T. Finn

CobiWann posted:

BikerTaker had one of my favorite lines from an in-ring confrontation.

Heel Bikertaker had the first real comeback to WHAT:

"Say WHAT if you sleep with your sister!"
"WHABOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO"