Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
How do you pronounce axolotl
all the online dictionaries are like "/ˈæksəlɒtəl/" :stare:
Is it like "axe-awl- oh-tul" or "axe-awl-ot-lll"

Question inspired by axolotl farmer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS
"axle ot'll" with the emphasis on the "ax"

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

another question about my notifications problem I checked off all the boxes in the notifications options in skype but I still have my taskbar become unhidden with the lovely orange box that alerts me that i must click on it. Any idea on how to stop any program from doing the orange alert thing?

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
I'm trying to display whatever's on my laptop onto my HDTV. I've gotten the display to work, but I can't seem to get the audio to play from my TV's speakers. How the heck do I do this? It's been driving me crazy for months!

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
How do you have the audio connected?

elbow
Jun 7, 2006

wigtrade.cc posted:

another question about my notifications problem I checked off all the boxes in the notifications options in skype but I still have my taskbar become unhidden with the lovely orange box that alerts me that i must click on it. Any idea on how to stop any program from doing the orange alert thing?

Kind of obvious maybe but have you gone into the taskbar properties -> customize notification area, and played around with those settings?

MyStereoHasMono
Feb 23, 2006

Ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space
Anyone have any idea if deaf people can 'detect' how many syllables are in a word?

I guess this thread isn't the best fit for this question but I couldn't find any active 'Ask me about being deaf' threads and I didn't want to make one solely for this.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!
I'm not sure if this is the perfect place to put this question, but I think it's appropriate enough:

I was talking to my friend about the movie Oldboy when I was reminded of this story I remember reading on the internet a few years back. It was about a Japanese (I think? It was definitely somewhere in asia) man who was trapped in a bare room, with the only thing given was a bunch of forms to fill in to enter various sweepstakes and contests. It was being sponsored by the companies who hold these contests in order to prove that it was possible for someone to live entirely off these contests. I remember the story then went on to mention how the man won something like a radio or TV or something, and he got some fruit or noodles or rice or something which kept him alive for a while, and eventually he was let free. I'm not sure if this was actually the plot to some random movie, or just some random story someone made up, but it was incredibly interesting, and if someone knows what I am talking about holy poo poo I could not thank you enough.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.
I don't know the specific story you're talking about, but you might be interested in the similar story of David Phillips, the guy who now flies for free thanks to buying a lot of pudding, who's story was loosely put into the film Punch Drunk Love
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/David_Phillips_%28entrepreneur%29
http://www.cracked.com/article_18753_the-6-most-creative-abuses-loopholes.html (#5 on this list, amongst some other awesome stories)
http://www.snopes.com/business/deals/pudding.asp

There's also a character in the movie Real Genius who does the "fill out a gazillion entry forms and win 1/3 of all the prizes" gimmick. And there was once a group of investors who spent, I think, a couple million dollars buying every possible lottery number when they realized the value of the prizes exceeded the cost of doing this.

Black Noise
Jan 23, 2008

WHAT UP

elbow posted:

Kind of obvious maybe but have you gone into the taskbar properties -> customize notification area, and played around with those settings?

hide icons and notifications was turned off on skype when i took that screen shot

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

The Dark Wind posted:

I'm not sure if this is the perfect place to put this question, but I think it's appropriate enough:

I was talking to my friend about the movie Oldboy when I was reminded of this story I remember reading on the internet a few years back. It was about a Japanese (I think? It was definitely somewhere in asia) man who was trapped in a bare room, with the only thing given was a bunch of forms to fill in to enter various sweepstakes and contests. It was being sponsored by the companies who hold these contests in order to prove that it was possible for someone to live entirely off these contests. I remember the story then went on to mention how the man won something like a radio or TV or something, and he got some fruit or noodles or rice or something which kept him alive for a while, and eventually he was let free. I'm not sure if this was actually the plot to some random movie, or just some random story someone made up, but it was incredibly interesting, and if someone knows what I am talking about holy poo poo I could not thank you enough.

You're probably thinking of Nasubi.

reversefungi
Nov 27, 2003

Master of the high hat!

Gobbeldygook posted:

You're probably thinking of Nasubi.

YES! Thank you, I thought I was going absolutely out of my mind. Also, to the other guy who responded to this, that cracked article was pretty interesting, and the Michael Larsen videos blew my mind away.

Robin Sparkles
Apr 23, 2009

wigtrade.cc posted:

hide icons and notifications was turned off on skype when i took that screen shot

There's no way to turn off that orange notification, but I know specifically in Skype if you set your status to Do Not Disturb and close skype (but have it active in the background) you won't recieve any notifications.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
Have the talking heads songs "and she was" or "stay up late" been in any movies recently? I'm thinking probably 2 different kids movies even though probably neither song is really all that appropriate.

I just remember someone at my house watching something with "and she was" in it and then a few weeks later someone was watching something with "stay up late" and it reminded me of how much I used to like talking heads before all my cds got stolen as a teenager. (I'm about to borrow the box set from a friend)

Google is failing me on both and wikipedia sometimes says if a song's been in a soundtrack but the only thing it's giving me is that stay up late was in "Baby Mama". That definitely didn't play at my house.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Loopyface posted:

How do you have the audio connected?
All I have is the HDMI cable going into the HDTV from the laptop. Do I need to get an additional cable to "move" the audio from the laptop to the TV?

Elijya
May 11, 2005

I don't think the soundtrack listings are totally comprehensive on IMDb, but you can use it to look musicians up and see what films and tv shows their music has been used in. Here's Talking Heads: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848088/

Looks like "Stay Up Late" was used in Baby Moma and Nim's Island and "And She Was" was used in Bewitched and Look Who's Talking. There may be several more for either of these, as I said I don't think IMDb is totally comprehensive on songs.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp

Elijya posted:

I don't think the soundtrack listings are totally comprehensive on IMDb, but you can use it to look musicians up and see what films and tv shows their music has been used in. Here's Talking Heads: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0848088/

Looks like "Stay Up Late" was used in Baby Moma and Nim's Island and "And She Was" was used in Bewitched and Look Who's Talking. There may be several more for either of these, as I said I don't think IMDb is totally comprehensive on songs.

Maybe I was mistaken then on what TH song I remember hearing in a kids movie now that I look at the link, it says wild wild life is in open season and that's one of my kids favorite movies. Must be that one that got me thinking about TH.

And we did start to watch "look who's talking" when we saw it on the netflix instant watch thing.

melon cat posted:

All I have is the HDMI cable going into the HDTV from the laptop. Do I need to get an additional cable to "move" the audio from the laptop to the TV?

Every hdmi port I've dealt with on a PC has been video-only. These have been desktops with a separate video card though so it makes sense it wouldn't have audio, never tried on a laptop.

Vin BioEthanol fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 10, 2010

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

melon cat posted:

What OS is on the laptop? And what laptop model and brand is it? HDMI cable should be enough ordinarily but if you say those things we should be able to tell you waht settings you need to change (incidentally sound sent over HDMI can often be very quiet so you might try turning up the TV volume a lot first).

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

Avocadoes posted:

all the online dictionaries are like "/ˈæksəlɒtəl/" :stare:

Incidentally, this is called the International Phonetic Alphabet. The reason you can't just sound it out like you tried to do in your post is because different dialects have different "correct" pronunciations of the same symbols. If you've ever had a conversation with a friend from another area or another country about pronunciation, you probably know the infinite frustration of saying "so you pronounce it like x?" "no, it's like y" "but y is the same as x" "no it's not" and so forth. IPA obviously isn't useful to people who have no idea how it works, but if you learn to read it it's pretty cool.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
When I click on a pdf in safari, it opens in the window. Easy to read. No fuss, no muss.

But recently Ive switched to chrome (safari keeps crashing...), and chrome opens in pdfs in google docs, which loving blows. Is there something I can download that will allow me to open pdfs in the window in chrome.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Avocadoes posted:

"/ˈæksəlɒtəl/" = (ăḱsə-lŏt'l) = ack-seh-lottle

Slim Killington fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Dec 10, 2010

Jeffrey Colon
Dec 13, 2007

Let's get down to brass tacks. How much for the ape?

BlueBayou posted:

When I click on a pdf in safari, it opens in the window. Easy to read. No fuss, no muss.

But recently Ive switched to chrome (safari keeps crashing...), and chrome opens in pdfs in google docs, which loving blows. Is there something I can download that will allow me to open pdfs in the window in chrome.

Type chrome://plugins/ in your address bar in Chrome, find Chrome PDF Viewer and disable it. Enable Adobe Reader 9.

Daemus
Jun 20, 2008

Not entirely undoglike

Wagonburner posted:

Every hdmi port I've dealt with on a PC has been video-only. These have been desktops with a separate video card though so it makes sense it wouldn't have audio, never tried on a laptop.

This is the case with most PCs, yes. My Radeon HD4890 is able to pass audio through its DVI port (and thus to HDMI through an adapter), but it requires an ATI adapter (and certain series of card) specifically. I don't know what the case is with Nvidia, but it seems to be the exception, not the rule, that PCs can transfer audio over HDMI.

Then again if the laptop has a dedicated HDMI port, you'd think it'd be able to pass audio through that...

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

I'm looking for an anime clip on youtube where some Japanese dude goes to America, sticks his hand in a fish tank and gets his middle finger caught by a lobster or something, ends up accidentally flipping people off and gets beaten up by a terribly dubbed black man. Anyone know what I'm talking about or if there's a better thread to find this?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!
Did you try https://www.google.com

"Black Heaven", found this with "lobster on middle finger anime", no quotes.

madprocess
Sep 23, 2004

by Ozmaugh

Daemus posted:

This is the case with most PCs, yes. My Radeon HD4890 is able to pass audio through its DVI port (and thus to HDMI through an adapter), but it requires an ATI adapter (and certain series of card) specifically. I don't know what the case is with Nvidia, but it seems to be the exception, not the rule, that PCs can transfer audio over HDMI.

Then again if the laptop has a dedicated HDMI port, you'd think it'd be able to pass audio through that...

Nearly all laptops with an HDMI port will send audio over it. However, you sometimes need to manually set the laptop to actually route the sound over the HDMI port when it's hooked to a TV.

Vin BioEthanol
Jan 18, 2002

by Ralp
If I'm at work and I hear a person cough or sigh without seeing them (usually if I'm in the shitter-stall and they walk in the bathroom) I can almost all the time tell who it is. And I don't know that I would have necessarily had to have heard them cough or sigh before and chose to remember the sound or something, but I think I can tell just from knowing their voice, it seems like part of their voice carries over to their cough.

Is that what it is? the cough or sigh having to go through the vocal cords and being "imprinted" on by them somewhat the same way they do the person's speaking voice? Or do I have some type of super talent that could be used for good or evil?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

I have the vaguest memory of some sort of movie or TV show from my childhood. I am pretty sure it was anime, but this would have probably been circa 1990, when anime was much less popular in the US.

The *only* memory I have of it is some sort of scene where characters were possibly falling endlessly downwards while some evil thing that looked similar to a scarecrow (I think) was shooting rectangular-prism-shaped lasers everywhere as his weapon. Anyone know what the hell this is?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Orzo posted:

Did you try https://www.google.com

"Black Heaven", found this with "lobster on middle finger anime", no quotes.

Lots of answers to questions in this thread can be found through googling, but you don't have to be a prick about it. Sometimes people are looking for a concise answer and hope someone will know off the top of their head. And if you're going to do the Here, Let Me Google That for You treatment, couldn't you at least include the link to the result?

Slashie
Mar 24, 2007

by Fistgrrl

Wagonburner posted:

If I'm at work and I hear a person cough or sigh without seeing them (usually if I'm in the shitter-stall and they walk in the bathroom) I can almost all the time tell who it is. And I don't know that I would have necessarily had to have heard them cough or sigh before and chose to remember the sound or something, but I think I can tell just from knowing their voice, it seems like part of their voice carries over to their cough.

Is that what it is? the cough or sigh having to go through the vocal cords and being "imprinted" on by them somewhat the same way they do the person's speaking voice? Or do I have some type of super talent that could be used for good or evil?

I can do that too, and I think it's normal. Coughs and sighs are vocalized somewhat, so if you know the person's voice you can usually recognize them.

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

Slashie posted:

Lots of answers to questions in this thread can be found through googling, but you don't have to be a prick about it. Sometimes people are looking for a concise answer and hope someone will know off the top of their head. And if you're going to do the Here, Let Me Google That for You treatment, couldn't you at least include the link to the result?
Sorry if it was a little too snarky, but it seems ridiculous to ask here if it can be found with the first search string that would pop into anyone's mind.

I didn't include a link because I saw on the third result some text in a youtube comment which referenced the name of the series; I never actually clicked on the link. I provided the name of the series, I suppose I could have posted the wikipedia page or something but that's not really what he asked for.

Culinary Bears
Feb 1, 2007

Thanks! And yeah, I tried google, but not that particular term because I was tired of getting absolutely no relevant results searching google and youtube along the lines of bad american dubs, japan foreigner animes, etc. (I vaguely remembered the youtube video being titled something like how the japanese view america, but that could've just been the post that was referring to the video, which I couldn't find either). Incidentally, something like "japanese black people dub" finds it as well, but you don't always think of the perfect term and it can get discouraging looking for something obscure.

Edit: yeah, the whole lobster incident wasn't really the first thing to come to mind over the whole japanese version of americans thing, I only remembered that part when trying to describe the video in more detail

Culinary Bears fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Dec 10, 2010

Your surrogate key
Feb 10, 2010
Where is the SA thread about Pole Dancing? (the one where chicks answer questions and such)
I tried the "Search the Forums" and failed to find it.

P.S. : yes, I do realize I'm retarded !

Drunk Bettie
Oct 28, 2007

squeeze my head for
delicious juice
Does anyone out there know what the hell this thing is?

I ordered a grab bag from Strapya World, a Japanese store that sells an astonishing variety of cell phone charms and toys. One of the items I received in my bag was the statue pictured above, wrapped in bubble wrap, with no other information. It's about 6" tall, made of ceramic, is hollow, has a woolen red hood tied on his head, and has the following things on a string around his neck:
  • A fake US $100 bill
  • Ceramic car, heart and house charms
  • Plastic baggies containing confetti, small ceramic balls, short straw pieces, a square of foam and what looks like a piece of a cotton ball

I am so confused and kind of terrified of this thing. Mostly, I want to take his noose of gifts off. Are they supposed to be stuffed inside his pretty mouth? Is this what Japan thinks Santa looks like? Help!

Dignity Van Houten
Jul 28, 2006

abcdefghijk
ELLAMENNO-P

wrong thread

Dignity Van Houten fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Dec 11, 2010

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Slashie posted:

That was the least snarky "you haven't even googled it yet, have you?" response I've ever seen.

Personally, if that had been my question, I would not have assumed googled would have had any pertinent results and would have asked it here myself.

IzzyFnStradlin
Jun 19, 2004
I realize I am years late to the party, but can someone point me to the major, best threads where "Chris-Chan" aka "Christian Weston Chandler" has been a part of this site, to the extent that he has? I recently, through a friend mind you, came across the wiki dedicated to his life, and I can't get enough!

I haven't been this excited about someone I don't know since Gord! (And, no, I don't want to troll him or contact him or any weird poo poo like that. I just want to read about him, like I read Dostoevsky)

The Aphasian
Mar 8, 2007

Psychotropic Hops

How do you cite, APA style, a direct quotation or popular quotation

"I would like to recapture that freshness of vision which is characteristic of extreme youth when all the world is new to it."
-Henri Matisse

From here: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henri_matisse.html

Koskinator
Nov 4, 2009

MOURNFUL: ALAS,
POOR YORICK

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone have any idea if deaf people can 'detect' how many syllables are in a word?

I guess this thread isn't the best fit for this question but I couldn't find any active 'Ask me about being deaf' threads and I didn't want to make one solely for this.

I'm deaf, and absolutely not. If someone is prelingually deaf(as in, they were deaf before they acquired a spoken language) they will have difficulty with the idea of syllables, phonetics, rhymes and other audio-only concepts if they aren't just outright ignorant of them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I was suddenly made best man at a buddy's wedding. By 9 am tomorrow, I need supplies to vandalize his car. Where can you get those markers designed for writing on glass? I figure also balloons... any other ideas? I don't really know what I'm doing.