Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Yes, it was issued as the first volume as (as far as I can tell) it was considered a more accessible starting point and was a big enough story/theme/concept to warrant it's own release and whet people's appetite for the "next" volumes that are all actual strips prior to the Great Outdoor Fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Bill
Jan 18, 2007
Bourgeoisie Pig
:siren:~New Strip~:siren:

Divorced And Curious
Jan 23, 2009

democracy depends on sausage sizzles
i am starting to get genuinely concerned about onstad's mental wellbeing

ElementaryScotty
Jan 8, 2010
More Roast Beef depression. I wonder if this is an actual arc.

Vitriol
Mar 11, 2001

Phhhhhtttttt!
Less of an arc, more of an ongoing reality.

King Nothing
Apr 26, 2005

Ray was on a stool when he glocked the cow.
The dude with the winning fish looks exactly like Wolcott.

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

The dude writing Achewood looks exactly like a dude who is not finishing up the arc he started back in loving May.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Hahahahaha real funny Onstad, now stop kidding around

Chris?

:smith:

Helena Handbasket
Feb 11, 2006
I think Roast Beef is sad because he failed to save his friend Teodor. :(

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

Happy Hippo posted:

The dude writing Achewood looks exactly like a dude who is not finishing up the arc he started back in loving May.

The arc is over, highschool is over, and it's for the best because if the storyline WAS still going, we'd have to wait 2 months for a continuation instead of waiting that long for a stand alone strip about a sad cat.

EDIT: I was exagerating about the wait, it's just over a week between this one and the previous, which the single-strip stuff probably helps with too.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
It's not like we don't know where the storyline was going, anyway. Ray and Beef got involved and saved the day and Teodor explored his sexuality. There. :colbert: (Beef depression strips are the best strips, anyway)

McGravin
Aug 25, 2004

Tantum via caeli per ferro incendioque est.

King Nothing posted:

The dude with the winning fish looks exactly like Wolcott.

I think you're right.

And panels two and three are pretty clearly recycled.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

I need you to wear this. I need you to wear this all the time. It's office policy.
Well yeah we knew how it was going to end, but considering the entire attraction of Achewood (for me at least) is the dialogue and the ways the characters interact with each other, just dropping the arc and wandering off like a bored child is kind of unpleasant :(

And, I mean, we know how the Beef depression strips go. Cassandra Kazenzakis thinks about something and cries. There you go. See how much they suck without the actual words?

Cobweb Heart fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Dec 11, 2010

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008

McGravin posted:

I think you're right.

And panels two and three are pretty clearly recycled.

To be fair, "lying on the floor being depressed" is basically Beef's hobby.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

You can do whatever you want in life.

Technique posted:

To be fair, "lying on the floor being depressed" is basically Beef's hobby.

Trashsspotting.

Did you guys complain as much as this when we never heard good things about Ray's dick? http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03112005

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!
Guys? Roast Beef is depressed. Onstad's ok. He'll be fine. They're 2 different dudes.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Cobweb Heart posted:

And, I mean, we know how the Beef depression strips go. Cassandra Kazenzakis thinks about something and cries. There you go. See how much they suck without the actual words?

I'm not sure what your point is, none of us would be reading this comic if it wasn't for the actual words.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

I don't think his heart was really in judging that fishing contest.

Ashenai
Oct 5, 2005

You taught me language;
and my profit on't
Is, I know how to curse.

Jerusalem posted:

I don't think his heart was really in judging that fishing contest.

He made the correct call, however, the fish he selected was indeed the superior fish. The cat does what he signed on to do, loathsome and insipid though he may find his duties.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Look at the other fisherman's face though, Fantasy Judge Roast Beef made an enemy that day.

Adept Nightingale
Feb 7, 2005

Zefiel posted:

Trashsspotting.

Did you guys complain as much as this when we never heard good things about Ray's dick? http://achewood.com/index.php?date=03112005

Did that take half a year...?

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Jerusalem posted:

Look at the other fisherman's face though, Fantasy Judge Roast Beef made an enemy that day.

Said Cat Fisherman went back to his fishing boat and furiously drove around a floating patch of kelp in the sea until he had a heart attack.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

Nick at Nite posted:

Did that take half a year...?

I was referring more at the fact that everyone WANTS this arc to CONTINUE no matter what, but your point is strong as titanium indeed. :(

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

Ashenai posted:

I'm not sure what your point is, none of us would be reading this comic if it wasn't for the actual words.

My point's exactly that. I was saying to Technique that it doesn't matter if we knew how it was going to end, having the arc cut short is still a gyp because of the loss of Words.

NovaPolice
May 9, 2006
Every strip from now on will be part of the Depression Arc. Any strip that is not about Roast Beef being too depressed to move will be about Teodor's failings.

The last strip (made after a five month hiatus and an aborted attempt at a new Lie-Bot and Vlad storyline) will just be a black square with an alt-text of "gently caress this poo poo".

stupid ugly retard
Dec 30, 2009

by T. Finn
Followed by a gunshot.

RocketMermaid
Mar 30, 2004

My pronouns are She/Heir.

stupid ugly retard posted:

Followed by a gunshot.

This, Philippe, is the saddest thing.

Zefiel
Sep 14, 2007

IF the dude has any depression, it's only related to his artistic medium. His twitter makes Onstad's life sound like a 24/7 party of fine dinin', wild cooking, car-crashing, and falling down the stairs. Such a life would not lead me to suicide.

Also, fat dachshunds and parenting.

Dodgeball
Sep 24, 2003

Oh no! Dodgeball is really scary!

Ubik posted:

This, Philippe, is the saddest thing.

I can finally get a skeleton to put in that closet.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe
I don't care what storyline Onstad continues, I just want to see the dude get to at least a strip a week. I just want my Achewood to get goin' again. Love this poo poo.

(Anyone who is hugely obsessed with seeing the Teodor-in-the-van story continue just wants to see another dose of raging hard cat cock)

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

rotinaj posted:

(Anyone who is hugely obsessed with seeing the Teodor-in-the-van story continue just wants to see another dose of raging hard cat cock)

WRONG, DOGG.

I just think that it's bullshit to not follow up on it. That was as huge moment in T's life and to leave us hanging like that is bewildering.

I appreciate that Achewood is unconventional and does things that surprises the readers but what if an arc like the GOF was abandoned mid-story? Or Beef and Molly's wedding?

Maybe Onstad wrote himself into a corner..? I don't know. But some sort of an explanation would be great. Hopefully there isn't some personal emergency that he's dealing with but even if it is then a simple, "Hey guys, sorry about the trickling output this past 6 months but I'm preoccupied with more important matters these days" would be a step in the right direction.

It's just frustrating because it's such an amazing strip.

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
I know what you're all looking for, but wasn't Onstad clear in the past about the absolute lack of fap-worthy art he will be putting forth in his comics?

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

glug posted:

I know what you're all looking for, but wasn't Onstad clear in the past about the absolute lack of fap-worthy art he will be putting forth in his comics?

I always laugh at the strip with Molly catching Beef staring at some cat woman's cleavage, with the alt-text "Sorry to give you furries so much primo j/o material at work"

McJuicy
May 9, 2008
I dont feel like a friend of the library.

Cobweb Heart
Mar 31, 2010

"So he goes into the back of the van with the old homosexual cat, who soon starts to make advances on him - and you know, he's just looking at the old cat, and he's considering it. And then Roast Beef comes in and slowly but surely pulls Nice Pete out of his high school fantasy. So Teodor is still back there, only Roast Beef and Nice Pete have no idea what he's doing. So Nice Pete bangs on the wall between the front and back of the van and tells everyone to get out."

Oh god Onstad what happened next?! Did he end up accepting the guy's propositions? This is a big moment in his life!

"..."

WEEEELLLL

"How about that sad cat huh guys, huh huh :haw:"

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
Don't make him break out the flow charts again guys.

Quebec Bagnet
Apr 28, 2009

mess with the honk
you get the bonk
Lipstick Apathy

Happy Hippo posted:

WRONG, DOGG.

I just think that it's bullshit to not follow up on it. That was as huge moment in T's life and to leave us hanging like that is bewildering.

I appreciate that Achewood is unconventional and does things that surprises the readers but what if an arc like the GOF was abandoned mid-story? Or Beef and Molly's wedding?

Maybe Onstad wrote himself into a corner..? I don't know. But some sort of an explanation would be great.

Didn't this happen with the Williams-Sonoma/Lash of Thanatos arc? A lot of people on either here or Assetbar were speculating that the end was wrapped up way too quickly for the same reason. I personally didn't think it was but that was the feeling at the time.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

Happy Hippo posted:

WRONG, DOGG.

Maybe Onstad wrote himself into a corner..? I don't know. But some sort of an explanation would be great. Hopefully there isn't some personal emergency that he's dealing with but even if it is then a simple, "Hey guys, sorry about the trickling output this past 6 months but I'm preoccupied with more important matters these days" would be a step in the right direction.

It's just frustrating because it's such an amazing strip.

Man, look.

I know raging hard cat cock is tempting. I'm tempted. But Onstad's moved on. I've moved on. Maybe... Maybe it's time that you moved on too.

Moved on from the cat cock.

poor and weird
Jun 30, 2007

SeanBeansShako posted:

Don't make him break out the flow charts again guys.

I emphatically do not want to see Nathan's flowchart.

Ray or Lyle definitely have a second flowchart's worth of material in them though.

Did people not like the Lash of Thanatos ending though? I thought it was great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Apparently there is a new 58 page chapbook in the fanflow, which may explain a significant amount of the delays between strips.