Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

Don't make me lift my knee, young man.
Broken Sword 1 and 2 are utterly fantastic games. If I didn't have them on Steam already, I'd be snatching these up like a fiend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Elmo Oxygen posted:

Broken Sword 1 and 2 are utterly fantastic games. If I didn't have them on Steam already, I'd be snatching these up like a fiend.

I did just that. And Red Baron because it looked cool. Anyone played that, by the way?

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
I remember playing the demo to death for the original Broken Sword on the Playstation. For nostalgia sake and to find out what actually happens I'm going to pick it up. I only vaguely remember a woman, a police officer, a clown and sewers.

Coolio
Nov 5, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Mr Right posted:

I remember playing the demo to death for the original Broken Sword on the Playstation. For nostalgia sake and to find out what actually happens I'm going to pick it up. I only vaguely remember a woman, a police officer, a clown and sewers.

Sure it was Broken Sword? That description could be be ninety percent of adventure games :haw:

TomWaitsForNoMan
May 28, 2003

By Any Means Necessary
fffffffff I just bought the Directors Cut on Steam last week

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

One thing to note about the Director's Cut: Nico's extra scenes are the definition of "tacked on". Also the difference in the audio sampling between the old parts of the game and the new parts of the game is tremendous so it can be a little jarring.

Still, the game is a classic.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

I did just that. And Red Baron because it looked cool. Anyone played that, by the way?

Hasn't Red Baron been freeware since 1997? I grabbed it then, along with Betrayal at Krondor, and played the poo poo out of it. Great game, even if I was completely awful at it.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

So buy it again to show your support for DRM-free gaming. :colbert:

Andrigaar
Dec 12, 2003
Saint of Killers

Coolio posted:

Sure it was Broken Sword? That description could be be ninety percent of adventure games :haw:

He left out the angry ditch digger, that's why it didn't make sense.

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I haven't yet, but I have 2 and 3 via Steam so I'm just waiting for that to go on sale so they can all huddle together unplayed. Yea I know it's $5 reduced from $10 at release, but now I have to wait for the Steam X-Mas sale because it's December.

hogswallower
May 8, 2005

Precious Pig Bits

TomWaitsForNoMan posted:

I did the same thing because it didn't seem like it was ever going to hit gog. Whoops.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D
It's worth noting that a remastered version of Broken Sword 2 was just announced for iOS and PC - it's out on PC in Early 2011.

Luisfe
Aug 17, 2005

Hee-lo-ho!

ChrisAsmadi posted:

It's worth noting that a remastered version of Broken Sword 2 was just announced for iOS and PC - it's out on PC in Early 2011.

Will have to triple dip for that, I guess.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Been waiting for Red Baron to come down in price. I wanted Baron 3D so bad when it came out, but had neither the money, nor the computer that would support it. I never played it, but I really liked the career mode for the original Red Baron, back when it was freeware, but could never abide the DOS-era graphics. Not sure I can abide them now.

Doesn't matter, I'm $2.50 poorer and 2 games richer :iamafag:

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 10, 2010

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Anyone bought the Red Baron pack and got it to play on Windows 7? I was just about to buy it when I noticed it doesn't list as Windows 7 compatible. However, I-War 2 didn't either, but that works just fine.

They're totally different games from different eras however, so I doubt that means anything?

Anyone know? Its a classic of my childhood and I'd love to play it again. :smith:

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Anyone bought the Red Baron pack and got it to play on Windows 7? I was just about to buy it when I noticed it doesn't list as Windows 7 compatible. However, I-War 2 didn't either, but that works just fine.

They're totally different games from different eras however, so I doubt that means anything?

Anyone know? Its a classic of my childhood and I'd love to play it again. :smith:

Red Baron 1 is Dosbox, so that should be ok.

Red Baron 3D runs fine on my Win 7 64 machine, but I have to run it in a window (add -w to the shortcut).

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Awesome. I'm not too familiar with old games on new machines so I wasn't really sure. Thanks for the answer. :tipshat:

Mr Right
Dec 17, 2006
First name... 'Always'
In the Broken Sword demo I played, I was a ginger man inside a café at the start. In this Broken Sword, I'm a woman in a mansion. Am I thinking of the same game and I'll eventually be a man in a café?

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Mr Right posted:

Am I thinking of the same game and I'll eventually be a man in a café?

Yes, just keep playing.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Mr Right posted:

In the Broken Sword demo I played, I was a ginger man inside a café at the start. In this Broken Sword, I'm a woman in a mansion. Am I thinking of the same game and I'll eventually be a man in a café?

The bits with the woman were added for this version which is part of why it's billed as the Director's Cut.

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Anybody else in Asia get horrible download speeds from GOG? I absolutely max out at 110KB/s and it averages around 40. Steam averages 1.5 MB/s and peaks around 2MB/s :smith:

hong kong divorce lunch
Sep 20, 2005

Ara posted:

Anybody else in Asia get horrible download speeds from GOG? I absolutely max out at 110KB/s and it averages around 40. Steam averages 1.5 MB/s and peaks around 2MB/s :smith:

When I lived in Hong Kong, I got better download speeds on GOG than I do after moving back. Maybe it's your particular country?

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai
Does i-war 1 have time compression controls? I'm terrible at this game.

Ravenger
Sep 20, 2004

Amethyst posted:

Does i-war 1 have time compression controls? I'm terrible at this game.

Not by default. You have to enable the cheats.

Type DARKGOAT on the mission select screen. You should see the word 'outcome' appear in the mission boxes, showing that the cheat mode is on.

Press SHIFT+A to cycle time acceleration, or SHIFT+S to skip the mission script to the next event. There are other cheat keys, but I don't want to spoil the game too much for you. You can find them easily on the net.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

Ravenger posted:

Not by default. You have to enable the cheats.

Type DARKGOAT on the mission select screen. You should see the word 'outcome' appear in the mission boxes, showing that the cheat mode is on.

Press SHIFT+A to cycle time acceleration, or SHIFT+S to skip the mission script to the next event. There are other cheat keys, but I don't want to spoil the game too much for you. You can find them easily on the net.

Awesome, thanks!

Hemish
Jan 25, 2005

I wonder what the biggest news ever will be tomorrow. Must be something quite good because that holiday event was pretty boring on deals. They were mostly publicity stuff to bring lots of people writing in the forums to try and participate.

Just do a big gently caress off sale! That will get this thread back in the game!

Ara
Oct 18, 2003

Hemish posted:

I wonder what the biggest news ever will be tomorrow. Must be something quite good because that holiday event was pretty boring on deals. They were mostly publicity stuff to bring lots of people writing in the forums to try and participate.

Just do a big gently caress off sale! That will get this thread back in the game!

To be fair, I didn't have an account there before. Then I went to the site to see if they had Anachronox, saw the Broken Sword promo, and signed up and bought it.

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Thanks to thread I found one of my favorite childhood games Freedom Force vs. the 3rd Reich. I could not remember the name of it to save my life. I also can't believe it was made by System/Bio shock's Irrational Games. Makes sense though, I remember the game being an awesome love letter to golden age comics and ridiculous over-the-top voice acting.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Yeah that was one of the first really decent superhero games and even looking past the superhero stuff, was a pretty nice tactical RPG too. I wish they would pick that series up again; as you said the studio that made it is pretty big so it would be awesome to see a modern sequel.

andrew smash
Jun 26, 2006

smooth soul
It's fun to think of looking glass/ irrational as a "big" studio now, I remember when they were running silent after SS2 and bioshock was thought of more or less like duke nukem forever.

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!
Totally agreed. I love the Freedom Force games. They perfectly captured the spirit of the comics they were trying to emulate. I played the hell out of it, and even pre-ordered the sequel even tho I think it had Starforce at the time. Got em both on Steam now due to a stupid sale, but I'd have bought them on gog in a sec if they were there first.

Cannot recommend enough. Fun RPG games, fun stories, awesome heroes, and you can even make custom heroes, what more can you ask for?

Edit:

VVV the first one isn't required to enjoy the second one, but the first one is a drat good game in its own right and well, it's just more of the same greatness the 2nd one had, just in a different 'comic book era' and such. Either one you get you'll have fun with, tho I hope gog gets the first one at some point too to... complete the collection so to speak VVV

Bats fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Dec 14, 2010

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Oddly enough, GOG only has the second one. It's not that the first one is required to enjoy the second, but it's a bit strange that they would have one and not the other.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

I never really got into the Freedom Force games...I know a lot of people who did, and I wanted to like them, but something about the gameplay never really clicked with me. I was expecting something a bit more turn-based, really. :smith:

andrew smash posted:

It's fun to think of looking glass/ irrational as a "big" studio now, I remember when they were running silent after SS2 and bioshock was thought of more or less like duke nukem forever.

:confused: Looking Glass hasn't existed for a decade, and the people there are scattered so widely I don't think you could say that Irrational (or any other single company) is really "LGS 2.0".

Bats
Sep 6, 2003

With great power comes great responsiblity...TO ROCK OUT!

ToxicFrog posted:

I never really got into the Freedom Force games...I know a lot of people who did, and I wanted to like them, but something about the gameplay never really clicked with me. I was expecting something a bit more turn-based, really. :smith:

:confused: Looking Glass hasn't existed for a decade, and the people there are scattered so widely I don't think you could say that Irrational (or any other single company) is really "LGS 2.0".

Just press space, it's not exactly turn based but you can pause and issue commands and your heroes will follow those commands after you unpause. It's still realtime otherwise, but at least there's that. I sorta suck at turn based so this sorta worked well for me. Spacebar is awesome when you are getting screwed and are panicing.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
Turn-based tactical games are sadly kind of a dead genre by now. If you like that sort of game, you really can't do much better than JA2 or the X-com series (when is GoG going to get the X-com games anyway? They would be such a perfect fit for the site).

rideANDxORdie
Jun 11, 2010
Holy crap this game was so far ahead of its time its ridiculous. THIS is how Dragon Age should've felt imo.

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Please tell me that "this game" is Freedom Force.

Phenwah
Feb 3, 2003

Phenwah fucked around with this message at 22:38 on May 5, 2023

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas10

Holiday sales are go!

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

Footboy posted:

Having a problem with Descent 3. The menus are distorted and it makes configuring my joystick basically impossible.

You have to switch your graphics options o that the game uses OpenGL instead of glide. The game was made to take advantage of OpenGL.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elmo Oxygen
Jun 11, 2007

Kazuo Misaki Superfan #3

The MSJ posted:

http://www.gog.com/en/page/xmas10

Holiday sales are go!

AAaaa!

Baldur's Gate and PS:T on sale!