Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I've never used a zoom myself, but I've always been on sets w/ cameras that have XLR inputs.

Even if you don't get the zoom, get a mic with XLR and then an XLR -> 1/8" (3.5mm) mini-jack converter. Then you can plug it right into the camera you have now, and when you get a better camera (or the zoom) then you can go straight XLR.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

AbdominalSnowman posted:

You mean in addition to the Zoom, or just an external XLR mic by itself? Any recommendations? I really have no idea how to shop for mics. I'm using a Canon HF r100 camcorder so I don't need amazing audio, I'm not professional or even semi-pro by any stretch. Mostly I am looking for good audio quality without the horrible hiss and that boxy echoing sound that cheap mics have.

I know the Zoom H1 doesn't have XLR ports so if I went that route I would have to get the H2 anyways. Adding a decent XLR mic on top of that might be out of my price range for now.

Yes, in addition to the Zoom. That hiss you are hearing is actually the room tone. You are hearing it because the mic was too far away from the talent. The boxy sound is reverb which is sound bouncing all over the walls before it gets to the mic. It becomes very apparent when the mic is too far away and the gain needs to be boosted in post to get the dialogue to a good level (-12db) and it accentuates the hiss of the room tone and the reverb. Audio is a huge monkey a lot of people cast off to the side. Take your audio just as seriously as your video.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

bassguitarhero posted:

I've never used a zoom myself, but I've always been on sets w/ cameras that have XLR inputs.

Even if you don't get the zoom, get a mic with XLR and then an XLR -> 1/8" (3.5mm) mini-jack converter. Then you can plug it right into the camera you have now, and when you get a better camera (or the zoom) then you can go straight XLR.

Would the mic receive phantom power through the 1/8" jack on the camera?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Nope.

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

Would the mic receive phantom power through the 1/8" jack on the camera?

No. The mic would need to be powered by either a battery inside the mic, or through a preamp, mixer, or if the zoom has phantom power or not. I know the H4N does, but not sure about the H2. I can't say how any other mics perform other than the Rode NTG2 because that's what I have used extensively. I've gotten good results from LAVs and even using dynamics, but the dynamic was more for ambient sounds rather than dialogue and it was used in conjunction with a LAV or shotgun mic.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
I was looking at the Zoom H1, which as far as I know doesn't have an XLR port. Can I just get a 3.5mm to XLR converter and use it that way if I pick up an XLR mic? I don't mind having to use batteries on the zoom still.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Personally, I don't think there's any reason to get a portable recorder if it doesn't have XLR and provide phantom power. Your camera already can already accept the 1/8" plug, and outside of learning how to sync external audio there's no real reason to waste the money.

When you do get an XLR mic you'll still have to buy a preamp just to power the mic.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

I wouldn't get the H1, it looks too small.

The stuff with XLR is more expensive, but that's prosumer-lifestyle for ya. You gotta pay to play, unfortunately. If you invest in a Zoom I would at least get the one with XLR inputs because it'll be useful for years to come. If you buy the one with the mini-jack in, you'll be looking at upgrading BOTH your camera & audio recorder to go prosumer, and that's more money down the line.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Well the Zoom is going to sound a hell of a lot better than the built-in camera mic, isn't it? I'm really running on a budget and while I certainly don't want the audio to suffer, I also don't have like $500+ to throw at a fancier Zoom and an XLR Mic and a pre-amp right now.

Why so much stress on phantom power? I have no problem using batteries, I have an assload of rechargable ones I can just haul around. Is there a performance difference?

Basically right now I am looking for the most cost-effective way to get audio that doesn't sound like total poo poo. I don't have the money for anything amazing but I am pretty determined not to use the built-in mic on the camera because it sucks rear end and is virtually unusable outside.

edit: The Zoom H2 has an XLR port right? I don't mind paying a bit extra for that now if it saves me money down the line, but the H4n or whatever is a bit out of my range.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

A lot of XLR mics, if not all, have no on-board power source. If you get an XLR mic and have a camera or recording device that does not provide power, you will need to purchase a separate pre-amp to provide enough gain to get good sound from the mic.

If you are going to go with just 1/8" I'd look into a Rode Videomic or similar mics that are battery-powered.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Are there any you can recommend that won't break the bank?

It is kind of frustrating trying to get into film-making as a hobby, I must admit. I was hoping I could at least get started with something passable for around $500 all told, nothing special but a way to produce something marginally decent while I learned the basics, maybe something that could stand a chance in small contests once I start getting more advanced in terms of lighting and cinematography. But it seems like unless I drop $1000+ everything I do is going to look like it was filmed on a camcorder from the 1950s with the mic in my mouth.

Basically, what is the absolute baseline equipment I could use if I want enough quality to avoid being laughed at no matter how much work I put into my films? All I have right now is a camcorder (Canon HF R100) and a tripod and it is really difficult to figure out what I need because everyone seems to have a different opinion and what little information I can find is full of jargon that I don't understand.

Ideally I would like to find a decent mic and a good beginner's editing program for as cheaply as possible. I don't want junk, obviously, but I don't want my equipment to be fighting against me either. I am fully aware I will be limited by what I am able to afford, but my first films are going to suck no matter what and I want to learn the basics and make sure I even enjoy it before I am 2 thousand dollars deep into the hobby.

If I grabbed the Zoom H2 and some editing software, keeping in mind that I already have a camcorder and tripod and some cheap lights, will I be able to create something passable at least? Do I absolutely need another mic to hook up to the zoom from the get-go? It seems like the audio from a zoom right out of the box using the built-in-mic isn't too shabby (at least better than the mic on my camcorder), will I be able to work with the Zoom on its own? If nothing else I suppose it is an opportunity to get the hang of syncing external audio, but I think I'd be able to get the zoom close enough to the actors to make use of its built-in mic in most situations, and then I can just use the camcorder mic for atmospheric sound.

And on the topic of editing software, can anyone help me narrow it down? Right now I am looking at Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, but I am certainly open to suggestions because I don't know poo poo about editing software except to avoid Windows Movie Maker. I would love to have Avid or something but I don't have $600-1000 to spend on software and probably won't for a good long time. I won't be doing anything flashy in post, just piecing it together and color correction, maybe a bit of audio work (I already have Audacity, not sure if that is worth a crap either).

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help and sorry about all of the questions, I am just a bit lost in the midst of all of this technology.

AbdominalSnowman fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Dec 10, 2010

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

If everything seems really foreign and expensive to you, you may consider a community college cpurse on video. They'll have all the equipment you would need as well as instruction on the overall process. A class won't break the bank either.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

1st AD posted:

If everything seems really foreign and expensive to you, you may consider a community college cpurse on video. They'll have all the equipment you would need as well as instruction on the overall process. A class won't break the bank either.

Right now I'm just looking for some simple basics to make short films with a few friends over the break, I am going to school out in podunk nowhere and there isn't a community college anywhere close, or a film program at the university. I would love to take a few classes eventually, but that is going to be a couple years away at the least.

Jalumibnkrayal
Apr 16, 2008

Ramrod XTreme

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Basically, what is the absolute baseline equipment I could use if I want enough quality to avoid being laughed at no matter how much work I put into my films? All I have right now is a camcorder (Canon HF R100) and a tripod and it is really difficult to figure out what I need because everyone seems to have a different opinion and what little information I can find is full of jargon that I don't understand.

You've got everything you need right now. You just need to make sure the movie fits into the limitations of the equipment you have.

quote:

Ideally I would like to find a decent mic and a good beginner's editing program for as cheaply as possible. I don't want junk, obviously, but I don't want my equipment to be fighting against me either. I am fully aware I will be limited by what I am able to afford, but my first films are going to suck no matter what and I want to learn the basics and make sure I even enjoy it before I am 2 thousand dollars deep into the hobby.

Then just shoot with what you have. It should be fine for you to learn the basics without having to spend any more money.

quote:

If I grabbed the Zoom H2 and some editing software, keeping in mind that I already have a camcorder and tripod and some cheap lights, will I be able to create something passable at least? Do I absolutely need another mic to hook up to the zoom from the get-go? It seems like the audio from a zoom right out of the box using the built-in-mic isn't too shabby (at least better than the mic on my camcorder), will I be able to work with the Zoom on its own? If nothing else I suppose it is an opportunity to get the hang of syncing external audio, but I think I'd be able to get the zoom close enough to the actors to make use of its built-in mic in most situations, and then I can just use the camcorder mic for atmospheric sound.

How will you get the Zoom close to the talent? That's one of the big advantages of using a shotgun mic: you can put it on a boom pole. I guess you could do the same with the Zoom, but it's going to feel like it weighs a hundred pounds when it's out on the end of an eight foot pole.

quote:

And on the topic of editing software, can anyone help me narrow it down? Right now I am looking at Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD Platinum 10, but I am certainly open to suggestions because I don't know poo poo about editing software except to avoid Windows Movie Maker. I would love to have Avid or something but I don't have $600-1000 to spend on software and probably won't for a good long time. I won't be doing anything flashy in post, just piecing it together and color correction, maybe a bit of audio work (I already have Audacity, not sure if that is worth a crap either).

Just use Windows Movie Maker.

quote:

Thanks again to everyone for all of the help and sorry about all of the questions, I am just a bit lost in the midst of all of this technology.

Do more research before you spend any money. There's a ton of information out on the internet and many of your questions could be answered by Google.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh

Jalumibnkrayal posted:

You've got everything you need right now. You just need to make sure the movie fits into the limitations of the equipment you have.

Then just shoot with what you have. It should be fine for you to learn the basics without having to spend any more money.

How will you get the Zoom close to the talent? That's one of the big advantages of using a shotgun mic: you can put it on a boom pole. I guess you could do the same with the Zoom, but it's going to feel like it weighs a hundred pounds when it's out on the end of an eight foot pole.

Just use Windows Movie Maker.

Do more research before you spend any money. There's a ton of information out on the internet and many of your questions could be answered by Google.

Wouldn't the zoom be incredibly easy to get close to the talent by just hiding it nearby on the set? I am still talking about the H1 / H2 here, which from what I have read in reviews seems to be about the size of a cellphone. It can record on its built-in mic and runs on batteries, so can't I just set it as close as possible without having it visibly in the shot?

And yeah, I guess I can pretty much just start with what I have, I just want to be able to shoot something that looks halfway decent. I mean even if I get the hang of the lighting and cinematography, if I am fighting with equipment to the point that the footage is grainy or choppy or something that I can't really control and the audio sounds like garbage, it will be kind of disappointing. I dunno, I guess I can't worry about since I just don't have the money, but it is kind of frustrating knowing that in some ways I will be hampered by my budget no matter how much I improve in terms of technical skill. Hopefully by that time I will have saved enough money to spring for better equipment, I'm not going to become some master over night.

I'm hoping a lot of what I have read is just hyperbole by people who are just really used to nice gear, but it was kind of disheartening reading about the kind of cameras and audio equipment within my budget and seeing people come in and just basically poo poo all over it and call it garbage that nobody should ever use for anything (not here, you guys are really helpful).

Is Windows Movie Maker even usable? Will it let me play with audio at all? Just taking a basic glance at it I don't see options for color correction or anything, which seems pretty essential. I guess I have Audacity for audio, though. Does Windows Movie Maker even support AVCHD?

Right now I am only about $200 into the hobby, I picked up a secondhand Canon HD R100 and a tripod that felt sturdy. I would probably still like to pick up something to improve my audio over the built-in mic, just because if I ever want to shoot outside the wind is going to make the built-in mic completely useless, and indoors it sounds like it picks up a lot of unwanted noise (based on samples I have listened to.) I guess if I can pick up a Zoom or something and use its built-in mic that would make me feel more comfortable with just starting out, the samples I have heard of it right out of the box have been really impressive for the cost.

I am definitely going to keep doing research, it is just a bit difficult since a lot of the information I am finding is either really anecdotal, full of jargon, or just an intro to some article I have to pay to actually read. I order a few books on cinematography and basics of lighting, but in the meantime are there any good sites for reading about the basics and learning about the craft in general?

AbdominalSnowman fucked around with this message at 00:26 on Dec 11, 2010

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

AbdominalSnowman posted:

Right now I'm just looking for some simple basics to make short films with a few friends over the break, I am going to school out in podunk nowhere and there isn't a community college anywhere close, or a film program at the university. I would love to take a few classes eventually, but that is going to be a couple years away at the least.

To be honest, most of your first stuff you shoot will probably be pretty horrible so I wouldn't worry about contests too much at the moment. I mean this in the most helpful way. I like to think I'm awesome at what I do. I've been paid to do it for over a decade and I make a good living, but my first projects from school were awful. I thought too big, and I had nowhere near the developed skills to pull off the scope I was aiming for. Not to say it wasn't worth trying, it totally is and it teaches a lot, but don't get too hung up on quality too soon.

Hell you can learn a lot using stills to tell a story in a slide show. That teaches you a ton about visual storytelling and sequencing.

I started learning when I was 10 using a camcorder and editing in camera. Start shooting small stuff now, with whatever you have, and who cares if the audio isn't great. or your camera kind of sucks. You'll be learning.

Have fun, shoot lots, try anything, but don't think to big. You'll get there as a natural progression.

Then again, maybe you're different than me, and a zillion other students I've seen since I graduated, and this is horrible advice. Who really knows?

chimheil
Jun 22, 2005

AbdominalSnowman posted:

I'm hoping a lot of what I have read is just hyperbole by people who are just really used to nice gear, but it was kind of disheartening reading about the kind of cameras and audio equipment within my budget and seeing people come in and just basically poo poo all over it and call it garbage that nobody should ever use for anything (not here, you guys are really helpful).

When I first shot on super 8 I was happy. Then I moved on to mini-DV and I thought it couldn't get any better. Then I moved on to tapeless P2 cards and I haven't touched a mini dv tape since. Then I shot on a Varicam and fell in love with the quality of it and the wide angle lens that was on it. Now I use a 5D. Make due with what you have, but nicer equipment is more expensive for a reason. Because it is nicer (except for the 5D but that's an anomaly).

Same thing with audio. I sort of knew that external recorders would give you better sound before I went to school, but I wasn't well learned enough to know about XLR's so I dumped 350 into an Edirol R-09HR. It records fantastic sounding audio. but it only has a mini jack input on it and I am severely limited in what I do. I use it primarily for recording sound effects and foley run from an NTG2 (I now have a Rode NT1A on the way and I'm super stoked) into the mixer, and then into the recorder. I am planning on getting rid of the recorder and getting a sound devices 702 because I saw a dude use it on a shoot and it was the slickest thing I have ever seen.

No problem with starting small. We all were there at one point or another. poo poo, I'm nothing compared to what most of the people in this thread have done.

Oh yea, I've used AVID and I didn't like it at all. I like Final Cut Pro.

chimheil fucked around with this message at 01:21 on Dec 11, 2010

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Walnut Crunch posted:

To be honest, most of your first stuff you shoot will probably be pretty horrible so I wouldn't worry about contests too much at the moment. I mean this in the most helpful way. I like to think I'm awesome at what I do. I've been paid to do it for over a decade and I make a good living, but my first projects from school were awful. I thought too big, and I had nowhere near the developed skills to pull off the scope I was aiming for. Not to say it wasn't worth trying, it totally is and it teaches a lot, but don't get too hung up on quality too soon.

100% this. Your first projects will be bad, they always are, because the way someone conceives a film and what they want to say with it, and how it comes across, are two completely different things.

Film is a language, and you don't just start out understanding it. You have to make bad things, try things that don't work, to start to know what is working, what isn't, and why. Then you continue tightening up your abilities and eventually you make something good.

I didn't get interested in movies until I came home from my first year of college and happened to catch some french films running late at night and I changed my major right then and there.

My best friend and I wound enter a 24 hour film competition every year, and I am AMAZED at how much the production quality, story quality, narrative quality, improves year to year. The first one we did was terrible, and we'd already graduated (I still think it's awesome but the film poorly communicates the fact it's meant to be a comedy, and as such the audience never got into the right mindset), we went and worked in the industry for a year, and the next year we took 2nd place. It's night and day what we learned from that.

AbdominalSnowman, in old-school films they used to hide mics around the set, hidden in flower pots and the like. If you were smart with your set design you might be able to get away with this, but it would be difficult.

Will your friends kick in for gear? That's what I would recommend. Honestly, if I were you and you've already got the Canon camera, I would get something like this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/73100-REG/Sennheiser_ME66_K6_COMBO_ME66_K6_Super_Cardioid_Mic.html

That's expensive from a store but you can probably find it on ebay or something similar. You want the ME66 because that's the microphone part, and the K6 is a power module for it. You put the battery in the K6, and then turn it on, and that will power the mic.

Then you can run XLR to the camera and use the XLR->mini-jack converter to plug it in. There are other mics that have similar functionality, but I don't know what they are. I've heard lots of people talking about R0de mics, so maybe someone can fill in for that, but you essentially want a shotgun mic w/ a power module and then it doesn't matter if you have phantom power on the camera or not.

AbdominalSnowman
Mar 2, 2009

by Ozmaugh
Alright, cool, that makes me feel much better about just starting with what I have. I'm probably not going to be in the market for a mic that nice for a while but I will keep it in mind for then.

My biggest concern is making sure that the dialogue is clear and doesn't have that tinny, grainy sound that a lot of cheap camcorder mics have. If I pick up the zoom, would it be worth it to just buy a cheap lav? I see those recommended pretty often but I'm trying to figure out how they work for actual filming considering they clip on and have a wire coming out of it. How are you supposed to hide it from the camera?

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

I feel totally out of my element posting here, but there's a chance you guys could help me. I hate looking for advice about camcorders and filming, because it seems like the video crew are the only people more obsessed by numbers, technical jargon, and money spent on your kit than the photography crew.

Playing around with video started as a hobby for me - I just got an old mini-DV camcorder and started filming stuff. I enjoyed the editing bit.

Since then, I've found I quite enjoy shooting live gigs for local bands. Partly, I focussed on this because I have no formal training, and no idea about lighting - and if I'm filming live, the awful lighting isn't really my fault! I've found ways of scraping around it - I bought my first JVC mini-DV camcorder because it was the cheapest 3CCD on the market. When I could afford something better, I went for the Panasonic HDC TM300, because it reviewed well in low-light conditions.

So far, what I've been doing is setting up the Panasonic at the back of the venue for a static wide shot, and roaming with whatever secondary units I can get. Normally, this means the crappy old JVC and a Sony X-Acti I picked up on the cheap (which is now broken, but it sucked anyway). In editing, I'd be scaling things down to put on youtube or, at best, a DVD, so I'd crop the Panasonic shot a little (or, in some cases, a lot and to hell with the video quality) so I could add a little subtle panning so it didn't look so static. The handheld shots were always just pot luck - if I got something I could use, great. If not, I'd chop up the wide shot and use something from there. Its a total carny way of working, but it works for me.

I've also picked up a digital audio recorder to patch into the mixing desk, in case you're worried I'm using the on-board mics!

Thing is, I've lucked out. Photography is the "in" thing with the creative crowd around here, and I live in a pretty small city, so I'm generally getting a name as that guy with a video camera who will sometimes film your gig for you. I think I might be able to get paid for a gig some time soon.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where I might pick up some basic, quick and easy tips for improving my camera work? Any solutions for improving the system without investing in new equipment? I feel like I have to play it super-safe when I'm filming bands, because with a live act, I can't tell which they'll turn, where they'll go, anything like that.

If I'm doing the interview thing again, is there any advice on how I could pick a good location for lighting? Given that I wouldn't have a studio, it'd be done somewhere like the University's art gallery cafe, somewhere quiet enough that they wouldn't mind and we wouldn't be interrupted, but still too public for me to haul in lights or reflectors.

king of lunch
May 22, 2007
I am made of science
I'm dragging up my craigslist HVX post from pages ago, but I did get the camera in the end for $2800. I forgot how much I love these cameras, I just find them to be fun to use.
I've been a lazy butt since getting it, and haven't done any real shooting, but in messing around and filming my cats trying to pull decorations off the christmas tree and various other stupid things around the house I have realized just how dark I keep the place/how much I need to invest in a light kit.

Does anyone have any recommendations for cheap(ish) kits? I'm no whiz at lighting, as I mostly shoot run-and-gun doc stuff, but I know enough about the basics to get by.
Is the Lowel DV Creator 1 kit worth looking at? http://www.lowel.com/kits/DVcreator1.html I can get it locally for about $1000 (Canadabucks). Or are there any better (and cheaper) options? I'm on a pretty tight budget, and I still have to look at sound and other fun toys...

ogopogo posted:

I've got a 32GB P2 E-Series card I'm trying to sell. $450 and it's yours.

Like I say above, I'm trying to stay within a budget right now, so I'm not going to say yes at this moment.
Heck, hopefully (for you) you've already managed to unload it! Otherwise send an email to fine@fineanddandy.ca and if I get to needing more recording space soon I'll email you back and we can talk then?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I just picked up an HMC150, is there something similar to a Kata one man band but in a backpack form? I'd like to be able to store my camera, 13" MBP, batteries, filters, shotgun mic, and on camera light.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

1st AD posted:

I just picked up an HMC150, is there something similar to a Kata one man band but in a backpack form? I'd like to be able to store my camera, 13" MBP, batteries, filters, shotgun mic, and on camera light.

I have a petrol pack similar to this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/340292-REG/Petrol_PCBP_1_PCBP_1_Papoose_Mini_DV.html

It's much better than the $150 I paid for it. It fits my XH A1 with the EVF folded up, it should fit your HMC perfectly.

exp0n
Oct 17, 2004

roll the tapes

exp0n fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 30, 2014

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

I just recently got into video and I am quickly realizing that it takes more than just a 5d2. I just ordered a slider and some rails so I can get my poo poo together a little better. I think the next logical step is a follow focus... right?

Here is a video I did today:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf3aQdzEv28

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

I have a petrol pack similar to this one: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/340292-REG/Petrol_PCBP_1_PCBP_1_Papoose_Mini_DV.html

It's much better than the $150 I paid for it. It fits my XH A1 with the EVF folded up, it should fit your HMC perfectly.

Sweet, just ordered one. I also shopped around for batteries and found this:

http://www.adorama.com/IBYVWVBG6.html - VBG6 5400mAH, $30

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.

king of lunch posted:

Like I say above, I'm trying to stay within a budget right now, so I'm not going to say yes at this moment.
Heck, hopefully (for you) you've already managed to unload it! Otherwise send an email to fine@fineanddandy.ca and if I get to needing more recording space soon I'll email you back and we can talk then?

Sounds good. I still have it, and the offer stands to anyone looking for a 32GB E-Series P2 card. I'll let this float here for a few days before going to SAMart/Ebay.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Where can I buy one of those things that's placed on a microphone and displays a TV station's logo? I don't know what it's called, but here's a photo:

The thing with CNN plastered on it. I want to place a custom logo for a client.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

1st AD posted:

Where can I buy one of those things that's placed on a microphone and displays a TV station's logo? I don't know what it's called, but here's a photo:

The thing with CNN plastered on it. I want to place a custom logo for a client.

http://www.google.com/search?um=1&h...=og&sa=N&tab=if

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Awesome, thanks.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

1st AD posted:

Awesome, thanks.

No problem, what are you going to put on it?

For content: My slider came from Indisystem today and they "forgot" to put my rails in the box, so he overnighted them and they will be here tomorrow! Pretty excited!!

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I'm just going to put it on one of my Sennheisers for interviewers at an indie art show that I do videography for.

re: Indiesystem - let me know how the build quality is. I bought some rails from that site, but it took FOREVER for the guy to even ship them out (like 4 weeks) and I don't really want to purchase again unless his poo poo really rocks that much.

Walnut Crunch
Feb 26, 2003

I can't say enough about the kessler cineslider. Awesome system if you are looking for a slider. Great service too.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Does anyone have any advice for a complete amateur wanting to film some live gigs? Anyone? Preferably not advice that starts with "buy this, this and this" but advice on the best way to approach the shooting? Picking locations, angles, etc?

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

I don't know, a lot depends on the venue layout and size of the crowd, as well as how intrusive club owners will allow you to be. Some places I've had to stay very low key (and I'm talking a place with stadium-style seating), some don't give a gently caress and let you walk on stage as long as you don't get in anyone's way. Some will let you use onboard lights, some will request you only use ambient, and so on.

The number one key is to communicate with your client and with the venue owners and see what will work.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

1st AD posted:

I don't know, a lot depends on the venue layout and size of the crowd, as well as how intrusive club owners will allow you to be. Some places I've had to stay very low key (and I'm talking a place with stadium-style seating), some don't give a gently caress and let you walk on stage as long as you don't get in anyone's way. Some will let you use onboard lights, some will request you only use ambient, and so on.

The number one key is to communicate with your client and with the venue owners and see what will work.

Generally speaking, we're talking small venues where the owners don't really give a gently caress either way.

If I was able to bring a lighting gig, whats a good place to start? Any tips on lighting a scene like this?

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend the day working on a Mya video. We shot with a Red One camera and a handful of different lenses. It was unreal to be able to hold a RED cam. Here is me looking terrified to be holding a $125k camera:

EnsGDT
Nov 9, 2004

~boop boop beep motherfucker~

Bojanglesworth posted:

Yesterday I had the opportunity to spend the day working on a Mya video. We shot with a Red One camera and a handful of different lenses. It was unreal to be able to hold a RED cam. Here is me looking terrified to be holding a $125k camera:

We use those at school and it freaks me out a little bit every time I get near one. Especially since I learned how to shoot on old, old Arri M, S, and BL cameras that are pretty much indestructible.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

EnsGDT posted:

We use those at school and it freaks me out a little bit every time I get near one. Especially since I learned how to shoot on old, old Arri M, S, and BL cameras that are pretty much indestructible.

Yeah I was a bit nervous at first. Just getting it off the tripod is a daunting task.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiresias
Feb 28, 2002

All that lives lives forever.

Bojanglesworth posted:

Here's my prepped to drag your $125k camera in low mode across the Lake Los Angeles dry lakebed. I'm a bit more worried about my Steadicam than I am the camera.