Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

^^ If you're planning on flying into Bolivia, start taking diamox before you go because it will be brutal on you if you're flying in from sea level (the La Paz airport is at 4000m or so :gonk:)

Heck, take diamox even if you're going overland (recommended, but go slowly and let your body adapt to the changes) I posted about my experience with altitude sickness earlier this thread. I got over it ok but in the future I'm bringing the diamox alternative for people with sulfa allergies when I go to a high altitude. Why get sick and feel like crap for a while when you can reduce or eliminate that with pills?

King Lur posted:

Also, any love for Venezuela? I'll be in Panama with an ultimate destination of Trinidad and I plan on getting to Colombia (boat or fly) and mucking about there for a while and then flying out, or making my way east into Venezuela and spending some time there and boating to Trinidad. I'll admit I'm kind of ignorant about Venezuela but figure it's worth looking into. I've heard great things about Colombia though so that's tempting.

It's not recommended to visit Venezuela now, due to the constant demands for bribes. I've read some horror stories at other travel forums about how their trip to Venezuela was ruined by greedy officials. And there's the thing about how the official exchange rate is a rip off and the black market being the best place to change money.

And this were from posters who were long term travellers and had been all around South America so it's not just some random dude who went to Caracas for a week or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004
Anyone who has spent time in Buenos Aires - can I come packing US cash (plenty of small bills for change obviously) and expect to spend it easily? It seems like tours, hotels and other services actually prefer dollars but I'm not sure at all about cab fares, restaurants, etc.

If I could avoid dealing in pesos at all I would really prefer not to. Traveling to Ecuador last year was awesome thanks to no hassles re: ATM fees, moon dollar math, or wasting your last few foreign bills on chips and sodas at the airport to avoid going home with a pocket full of them.

edit: also due to my travel circumstances I'm not afraid of getting mugged or anything if that helps

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I'd recomend using pesos for taxis if you don't want to be raped with the fares. Everything else you should be able to pay with credit/debit cards or dollars. Keep in mind that people will try to scam you more using dollars than pesos but if you avoid dodgy places you'll do fine.
And the exchange rate it's not that hard, 4 pesos = 1 dollar.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

BEHOLD: MY CAPE posted:

US cash and expect to spend it easily?

I had no problem taking $200 a day out of ATMs near the Obelisk in BA. I think the ATM fee was ~$2USD which is about 1%.

Most (all?) of the hostels I stayed at only took the local currency. Confirm in writing that they'll take USD before you arrive. Only one hostel took USD as partial payment (at a poor exchange rate), and that's because I'd gone to the hospital the night before and was leaving for Peru the next morning.

Jan 11, 2004
Thanks for the info. I also heard that there's a weird situation with coins versus paper bills, i.e. coins are much more valuable meaning that it can be hard to make change. Can someone explain, and how can I best avoid problems?

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK

Thanks for the info. I also heard that there's a weird situation with coins versus paper bills, i.e. coins are much more valuable meaning that it can be hard to make change. Can someone explain, and how can I best avoid problems?

There's a shortage of coins. Hoard them. Use paper bills unless your vendor will absolutely refuse to accept them. It's that simple. I never really had any problems with it.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

I'm in Buenos Aires and I'm not really having any issues with coins, but rounding up/down is pretty common and sometimes cashiers won't have enough coins to make change for you. I'm loaded on coins though because I like to take the subway and I buy 1-ride passes with the $2 bills so I get .90 back in coins but yeah, get used to just rounding to the nearest .25 since 50 and 25 are the most common coins other (not counting the dollar coins)

Hadlock posted:

I had no problem taking $200 a day out of ATMs near the Obelisk in BA. I think the ATM fee was ~$2USD which is about 1%.

Most (all?) of the hostels I stayed at only took the local currency. Confirm in writing that they'll take USD before you arrive. Only one hostel took USD as partial payment (at a poor exchange rate), and that's because I'd gone to the hospital the night before and was leaving for Peru the next morning.

I'm in Buenos Aires now and the ATM fee is closer to $4 now (15.89 pesos or something like that) and that's not counting the forex fee or the fee your bank charges (Bank of America charges $5 :argh:)

Jan 11, 2004

Tomato Soup posted:

I'm in Buenos Aires now and the ATM fee is closer to $4 now (15.89 pesos or something like that) and that's not counting the forex fee or the fee your bank charges (Bank of America charges $5 :argh:)

Yeah getting cash is going to be kind of a gently caress, like 9% or more in cumulative fees on $100 so I'd much rather just bring a couple thousand USD and withdraw as few pesos as I can get away with taking out. Exchanging cash for pesos at $1=4 informally here and there would be even better.

In Uruguay it was pretty awesome, it was easy to spend USD anywhere at $1=U20 for ease of math, even though the official exchange rate was about $1=U18. Automatic 10% discount on practically everything.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Tomato Soup posted:

Six days after I got back from South America I got a letter from Wells Fargo saying they were bumping my fee from $2 to $80 starting at the beginning of the next month. I think they caught on to my strategy.

What ATM are you going to? I was using the ATM on the NE corner of Cordoba and... Esmeralda(?), about 3 blocks east of the obelisk. Pretty sure it was an HSBC ATM. I think the ATM one block south on Viamonte inbetween Suipacha and Esmeralda was even cheaper.

Any thoughts on just getting an account with HSBC and loading up that account with your travel money? HSBC seems pretty invested in the South American market and I never had any trouble finding an HSBC ATM. In theory you should get better forex rates and have the ATM fee waived.

just bring a couple thousand USD

:aaa: I don't think I ever carried much more than $500 USD + $200 USD worth of local currency (about a week's worth) on me at any time except in Rio. Being a guy I never really had issues with potentially being mugged but I'd be uncomfortable traveling with that much cash strapped to my person here in the US.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Hadlock posted:

Six days after I got back from South America I got a letter from Wells Fargo saying they were bumping my fee from $2 to $80 starting at the beginning of the next month. I think they caught on to my strategy.

What ATM are you going to? I was using the ATM on the NE corner of Cordoba and... Esmeralda(?), about 3 blocks east of the obelisk. Pretty sure it was an HSBC ATM. I think the ATM one block south on Viamonte inbetween Suipacha and Esmeralda was even cheaper.

Any thoughts on just getting an account with HSBC and loading up that account with your travel money? HSBC seems pretty invested in the South American market and I never had any trouble finding an HSBC ATM. In theory you should get better forex rates and have the ATM fee waived.

I'm leaving tomorrow anyway :v: And if I didn't forget about it, I would have gotten a new bank account (I was looking at Ally Bank before I got busy with stuff before I left, it's an internet bank with no ATM fees) so I figured I'd just withdraw a good chunk of change and try to make it last as long I can until I have to hit up ATMs again.

I've been just using whatever bank I find first when I need some cash since I noticed that the fee is same or almost same (differs by a few cents). But yes, HSBC wouldn't be a bad choice if you're planning on staying in South America for a while. They have branches in Argentina, Uruguay and Peru I think. Bank of America is affiliated with Scotiabank who has branches in Peru so I just used Scotiabank while in Peru since there's no fees for using a partner bank's ATM.

And... It's been a great 3 months down here :sigh: I'm happy and sad about going back home. But will be nice to not have to do math in my head when buying stuff!

God I just hope someone answers the phone at the shuttle company that goes around hostels tomorrow so I know if I've actually got a reservation :ohdear:

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

Hadlock posted:

:aaa: I don't think I ever carried much more than $500 USD + $200 USD worth of local currency (about a week's worth) on me at any time except in Rio. Being a guy I never really had issues with potentially being mugged but I'd be uncomfortable traveling with that much cash strapped to my person here in the US.

Had to do this in Venezuela as not having USD is madness unfortunately. We didn't have any problems but yeah it's not something I would normally do.

I'd definitely recommend going to Venezuela just don't bother with Caracas Coro and Merida are fine, safe places and you can do some great safari trips from Merdia which are dirt cheap if you are taking USD.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Was wrong earlier, the local ATM fees are about $1.75 to $2 in Argentina, not the $4 I mentioned earlier

Gibbon Hugs Cragen
Aug 2, 2003

Tomato Soup posted:

Was wrong earlier, the local ATM fees are about $1.75 to $2 in Argentina, not the $4 I mentioned earlier

Dang, my fee has been 16 pesos since I moved here a couple months ago. I don't live in BsAs though (I live a little farther south), so that might be it.

The only other money/travel tip I have is to watch for counterfeit bills, especially with taxi's. Always pay with the smallest bills possible. The most recent scam is they'll take your good bill, switch it with a fake and then hand yours back saying it's not real.

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

Hadlock posted:

I must be lucky as poo poo. My local bank charges me $1.50 for non-them ATM withdrawls and they don't charge me a X% converstion fee and I never paid a local ATM fee (Is that new? I was last there July 2009). My only problem in Argentina was that you could only take out $300 pesos at a time. (My local bank was cheaper than using my HSBC account because even if they wave the ATM fee, it's still 9 pesos you lose on the conversion fee).

So yes, lots of HSBCs in S. America, but you'll be paying a lot extra in currency conversion fees. It would be better to find a better US bank if possible.

Total Confusion fucked around with this message at 21:04 on Dec 14, 2010

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

The 300 peso limit is gone, I could take out a lot more than 300 at a time but never found out what was the limit because sometimes I'd have an ATM decline to give me any pesos at all so I just moved to the next one (same bank) and it'd give me the amount that I tried to get from the other ATM without any problems v:shobon:v

and I'm finally home now, nearly missed my flight out of Buenos Aires due to a protest blocking access to the highway so the shuttle ended up taking over two hours to get to the airport :suicide:

Gibbon Hugs Cragen
Aug 2, 2003
The limit for me here 950 pesos at a time, twice a day.

Any yeah I've got a "lucky" ATM that always works for me, the rest are just randomly hit or miss.

FAH Q
Aug 19, 2007

Certified Monster Fucker
So I'm leaving the country as a non-anything speaker (I took 8 years of French, lot of good that did me) to go to Costa Rica for the month.

It's looking like this:
San Jose
San Vito/Las Cruces
Bocas del Toro
Puerto Viejo
Sarapiqui/La Selva
La Fortuna/Volcano Arenal/Hot springs
Monteverde CLoud Forest/Santa Helena Reserve
A Nicoya Penninsula Beach
Montezuma
Manuel Antonio Beach
Osa Penninsula
San Vito/Las Cruces
San Jose

Any suggestions? We think this is pretty doable although its going to be tough to cover it all in 29 days.

Any tips for CR?

kidhash
Jan 10, 2007

FAH Q posted:

Bocas del Toro

You know Bocas is in Panama, right?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Anyone seen this yet? Pretty amazing stuff. I would have definitely bought an iPod Touch for my trip if this had been available a year ago. The future is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

NZAmoeba
Feb 14, 2005

It turns out it's MAN!
Hair Elf

Hadlock posted:

Anyone seen this yet? Pretty amazing stuff. I would have definitely bought an iPod Touch for my trip if this had been available a year ago. The future is now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

I got my android phone with google's txt to voice and translation software right after my trip. At first I was miffed that I had missed out on what would have been a pretty useful tool, but then I started questioning the morality of using a multi-hundred dollar smart phone to haggle a few less soles out of some peruvian villager for a scarf.

El Viajero
Dec 2, 2007
Le Voyageur, Путешественник, Der Reisende, 旅客, Il Viaggiatore, 旅行者, O Viajante,

NZAmoeba posted:

I got my android phone with google's txt to voice and translation software right after my trip. At first I was miffed that I had missed out on what would have been a pretty useful tool, but then I started questioning the morality of using a multi-hundred dollar smart phone to haggle a few less soles out of some peruvian villager for a scarf.

I am sure the Peruvian villager appreciates a few extra soles so you can judge them as some poor Peruvian villager less than equal.

hello i am phone
Nov 24, 2005
¿donde estoy?
I like how they used their own software to create innacurate signs.

Destroyenator
Dec 27, 2004

Don't ask me lady, I live in beer
I'm in Uruguay at the moment with a touch and I just installed it. Really not sure how useful it'll be because anything simple enough for it to do is probably going to be fairly obvious from the context anyway. It can't handle magazine covers.

Aside from that having the touch is great. I can do online banking without using dodgy pcs, the exchange rate app keeps the latest known rate for several currencies at once, you can download podcasts for the long buses and having an Internet/email wifi device without lugging around a laptop is great.

vanDeet
Oct 23, 2008

by Fistgrrl

FAH Q posted:

So I'm leaving the country as a non-anything speaker (I took 8 years of French, lot of good that did me) to go to Costa Rica for the month.

It's looking like this:
San Jose
San Vito/Las Cruces
Bocas del Toro
Puerto Viejo
Sarapiqui/La Selva
La Fortuna/Volcano Arenal/Hot springs
Monteverde CLoud Forest/Santa Helena Reserve
A Nicoya Penninsula Beach
Montezuma
Manuel Antonio Beach
Osa Penninsula
San Vito/Las Cruces
San Jose

Any suggestions? We think this is pretty doable although its going to be tough to cover it all in 29 days.

Any tips for CR?

Cool, I was at the La Selva station for couple of nights as well, last week :woop:
Also covered Manuel Antonio, a bit more from the pacific coast, and San Jose.

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

There's been lots of questions or discussions but no posts showing the beauty of Latin America. Here are a few I took this past month in Colombia. In December the place goes a bit overboard with Christmas...fireworks December 1st, national candle lighting holiday December 7th, and parties most nights throughout the month!

It's a worldwide phenomenon where old men just chill in parks doing nothing.

[url][img]http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash2/hs604.ash2/155601_872609810923_14227408_46260256_2959664_n.jpg[/url][/img]
Pranking a children with a fake snake from a balcony.

[url]
Huge ants for Sale

[url][/url]
Only in Colombia are the women in the crowd more attractive than the models in the fashion show.

[url][img][/url]
Big show for turning on the city christmas lights

[url][/url]
Popcorn vendor

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

[url][/url]

GreenCard78
Apr 25, 2005

It's all in the game, yo.
Can anyone recommend me what to do in El Progreso, Honduras? I'm going with a student group and we're pretty confined in where we can and cannot go so this will be the only place I can go in Honduras. I'll be there for a week next month.

Adnar
Jul 11, 2002

are those latter photo Cali or Medellin?
Weird to think it was a whole year since I was celebrating NY in Cali on the way to the Feria de Manizales :(

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Adnar posted:

are those latter photo Cali or Medellin?
Weird to think it was a whole year since I was celebrating NY in Cali on the way to the Feria de Manizales :(

I know the feeling of missing out on Colombia. All of the photos are from Medellin with a few from Bucaramanga. The last one was taken in Sabaneta I think. In just a few weeks I'll be heading to Manizales to celebrate the feria :)

Howard Phillips
May 4, 2008

His smile; it shines in the darkest of depths. There is hope yet.
What are my options if I want to spend about two weeks in Mexico to improve my Spanish? Unfortunately due to work constraints I can go for about two and a half weeks max during the summer.

I was thinking of holing up in a small city at a hotel or an apartment and hiring a private tutor and spending about 4 or 5 hours a day studying and then relaxing the rest of the day.

I know this is nowhere near as good as a true immersion experience but it's the best I can do with the time constraints.

a japanese pop icon
Mar 3, 2010

by Fistgrrl
I might get a chance to go live in Colombia for a year ish or so. I'm pretty accustomed to south american culture, but less so for the tropical countries other than Brazil, so I'd like kind of a rundown on quality/awesomeness of life in Colombia lately, especially now that it's less of a suicidal place to go live.

Mortley
Jan 18, 2005

aux tep unt rep uni ovi

Mortley posted:

As my second-ever backpacking trip, I'm going to Costa Rica to practice Spanish. I'd like to book an open jaw flight from another location in central America. The question is, should I fly out of Panama or Belize?
Also, how do I convince my family I'm not going to be kidnapped, murdered, or both?

I decided go out through Belize so that I can travel through Guatemala, as I wanted to do when initially planning this trip.

- Will I have visa trouble entering Costa Rica without a return flight from that country?
- What's the drug culture like in Costa Rica for white people? I.e., am I going to get thrown in jail for smoking pot? (edit: I found the answer to this myself, it should be fine)
- What are goons' thoughts on must-sees or other tips?

edit: Should I let the situation with the Zetas in the north of Guatemala affect my travel plans? I was expecting violence but not outright war.

Mortley fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Dec 30, 2010

barbudo
Nov 8, 2010
WHO VOLUNTARILY GOES DAYS WITHOUT A SHOWER FOR NO REASON? DIS GUY

PLEASE SHOWER YOU GROSS FUCK
What do you guys think of Sao Paolo? Namely, living in Sao Paolo and going to school at USP? One of my professors can set up a foreign exchange for me if I so choose.

I know it's a big intimidating city and most people there don't speak English, but there are some mitigating factors for me in particular. I'll be a pretty solid Portuguese speaker by then and my professor has some close friends in the city.

Also, other than Sao Paolo, what's the best way to kill two months in the country, spending as little money as possible, seeing as much as possible? I'm currently thinking WWOOF. Other than that, which sounds nice but not too exciting, I have had a teaching job for over a year with a major test-prep company and I also speak Spanish, so I think I'm pretty qualified for teaching. What do you recommend?

NotShadowStar
Sep 20, 2000

a japanese pop icon posted:

I might get a chance to go live in Colombia for a year ish or so. I'm pretty accustomed to south american culture, but less so for the tropical countries other than Brazil, so I'd like kind of a rundown on quality/awesomeness of life in Colombia lately, especially now that it's less of a suicidal place to go live.

Colombia is loving fantastic now. Don't get me wrong, if you go looking for trouble you can certainly find it, but random acts of violence and such are really rare now. There was a bombing at a radio station in Bogota a couple months ago and it was really, really big news, like if someone did the same thing in America kind of news.

Bogota itself is fantastic, it's such an odd city. The northern parts look like any modern Western city complete with huge buildings, malls and hipsters, the central parts are still Colonial mess and charm, and the southern parts are dirt roads, dirt shacks and dirt poor. I met some people who were buying properties in the central district for just 20k USD and renovating them. Lots of students live in the central district and every single one that I met was cool as gently caress.

Busses between cities are actually safe now, the military took back the roads from FARC. Now instead of FARC checkpoints on the highways, there are 24/7 military checkpoints that have awe-inspiring firepower. Even if FARC captures a bus these days, which is really rare, they make people get out and set the bus on fire instead of executing everyone in it like they used to.

I spent 4 weeks in just Bogota, didn't even have the desire to travel to the other cities, but I certainly will when I go again. I just loved Bogota and the Colombian people so much.

There's still racism if you're white, This typically comes from the poor, angry and resentful just like everywhere. New Years 2009 I was leading a slightly petrified Hungarian couple through alleys that had 'Muerte al Gringos' graffiti'd all over. Unpleasant, but we were mostly left alone aside from some yelps. Act like you own the place an people generally don't gently caress with you.

On the other hand, for example, I met a very nice business gentleman on the street of Bogota and he invited me to his little ranch outside the city, even though I spoke somewhat bad Spanish. I went to Colombia for adventure and I thought 'well gently caress this might be the last thing I do but whatever!' But he was awesome, his family was great and the country outside Bogota was loving gorgeous.

From what I've been to in Bogota, quality of life depends on where you live. As I said, the northern parts of the city are pretty much like every other modern city you've been in. The central part, the old Colonial part is the most interesting to me, but it can be sketchy after dark due to the proximity of the poor section. It all depends on how much adventure you want.

You can get into some deep poo poo in Colombia though, but you kinda have to go looking for it. I met a couple American dudes traveling through, and they instantly started getting into deep poo poo. They would leave at like 2pm, go... somewhere and then get back at like noon, sleep for a couple hours and go out again. They always had huge bags of coke and weed when they came back and they couldn't tell me where the hell they've been. One day they came back, woke up, emptied their pockets and found the usual drugs, a fistfull of GBP and a Colombian man's credit card. They had no idea how they got any of these items. Their last day, they were leaving in a huge hurry, didn't even sleep and telling me it was 'a life or death thing to get out of the city'. I didn't ask. Another American dude, coked out of his mind, begged me for the equivalent of about $20 USD, and offered me a bag of coke and his netbook to do so. The $20 was for a whore he drug in. I gave him the $20 just to get out of my face. Yeah.

So in short Colombia is what you make of it. If you want to get into some crazy poo poo, you can get into crazy poo poo like nowhere else on earth. If you just want to chill out in an awesome country with an overall very pleasant people, it's there.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja

iloverice posted:

I'm planning on backpacking through some of northern Central America in February with my wife for 2.5 weeks. We don't have an itinerary set in stone but as of right now it looks like this:

Cancun -> Belize City -> Tikal -> Antigua -> Santa Ana or Acajutla? -> Copan -> Puerto Cortes -> Belize City -> Cancun

We will fly into Cancun because its cheap and then bus the rest of the trip (except Puerto Cortes to Belize City, which will be by ferry). Our plan is to just bus to Belize City as soon as we get off the plane in Cancun, which will be tiring but nice to get all of the travel out in one day. Spend a couple days at each city listed (maybe cut one or two?) and take a break and relax for a day in Cancun before flying back to the US. How does this sound to those of you who've been around these areas? We are both fairly experienced travelers but have never been to Central America.

If you have any suggestions, recommendations or comments, please let me know!

This kind of got lost in the last page and I'm still hoping someone has some advise for us. February is coming close and we want to make sure we aren't stretching ourselves too thin. Also, we are flying into Cancun in the afternoon(arrive around 4pm). Is it too much to try to make it to Belize City that night? The more I think about it, the more I feel like we should stay in Cancun for the night. Thanks!

duralict
Sep 18, 2007

this isn't hug club at all
Cancun is a hellhole with some nice beaches. No offense, Cancun.

On the other hand, Copan is one of the most amazing sites I've ever seen - it's huge and extraordinarily well-preserved, and it has a large and well-constructed museum on-site. Parts of it might not be accessible due to active digs, but when I was there the place was deserted (maybe 20 other tourists in the entire site). It's definitely worth hiring one of the tuk-tuks to get out to all four of the building groups, although the Main Group is the really spectacular one. The local town is nice, too. You can get through Copan in a day (I did) but it'd be worth it to spend a little more time if you've got it.

Antigua is easily one of the most pleasant towns in the Americas, although it's also pretty routinely flooded with tourists. If you're into ruins and/or big Conquest-era cathedrals, it's absolutely worth spending a few days there (there's a stupid number of large, earthquake-damaged cathedral-style churches in town, the largest of which is so large that its sole restored nave is now one of the biggest churches in the city in its own right), and the whole thing is small enough that you can easily walk everywhere. It also has a really creepy mask museum. You can get between Antigua and Copan in a few hours but you might have to hire someone to drive you there. Someone will probably try to get you to spend too much money on jade at some point.

Incidentally, I'd advise against taking random local buses in Guatemala, especially in the north (en route to both Tikal and Belize), because the highways are renowned for bandit activity. You should be all right if you stick to bus routes with heavy use and/or escort cars (the Tourist Police usually accompany charter buses, for example), as long as you don't flash money around and avoid traveling at night, but chances are higher you'll get held up on a Guatemalan bus than almost anywhere else in Latin America. Also, because of some shady adoption scandals in the recent past, there's a persistent rural myth that Americans are there to steal children. While it doesn't usually lead to violence, even friendlier locals will get weird if you pay much attention to the kids (especially taking photos).

duralict fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Jan 6, 2011

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Does anyone know the cheapest time of year to fly in to S.America? I got to Bogota from Dallas for about $550, and from Buenos Ares back to Dallas for the same price. Prices to Venezuela right now are hovering around $560, and even flying from Panama to Bogota is about $540 one way. A one way ticket to Switzerland from DFW right now is $320...

TheLizard
Oct 27, 2004

I am the Lizard Queen!

duralict posted:

Incidentally, I'd advise against taking random local buses in Guatemala, especially in the north (en route to both Tikal and Belize), because the highways are renowned for bandit activity.

Eh, we took an overnight bus from Antigua to Tikal and had no problems. I'm pretty sure the incidents of bandit activity are overstated at this point. It was definitely a problem 10-15 years ago but things have calmed down significantly.

That said I wouldn't take a chicken bus because those drivers are loving insane.

duralict posted:

Also, because of some shady adoption scandals in the recent past, there's a persistent rural myth that Americans are there to steal children. While it doesn't usually lead to violence, even friendlier locals will get weird if you pay much attention to the kids (especially taking photos).

This is true; don't take pictures. I took one of street kids because they were bugging the hell out of me and it was an effective way of making them scatter.

iloverice
Feb 19, 2007

future tv ninja
Awesome, thanks guys. Unless anyone has something we need to see in El Salvador, we might cut visiting that country this time around so we can enjoy the other places with a more relaxed agenda.

Bagheera
Oct 30, 2003

GreenCard78 posted:

Can anyone recommend me what to do in El Progreso, Honduras? I'm going with a student group and we're pretty confined in where we can and cannot go so this will be the only place I can go in Honduras. I'll be there for a week next month.

There's not much to do in El Progreso. It's a commercial/industrial town: a great place to move to if you're a native, but not too interesting for a tourist.

El Progreso has a new (since 2008) mall on the north side of town. It has an Applebee's, a cinema, and some neat shops. There aren't many historical sights or natural areas.

Tela is about 2 hours north of there. It's a pretty and relaxed little beach town that's popular (but not inundated) with tourists.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Total Confusion
Oct 9, 2004

barbudo posted:

What do you guys think of Sao Paolo? Namely, living in Sao Paolo and going to school at USP? One of my professors can set up a foreign exchange for me if I so choose.

I know it's a big intimidating city and most people there don't speak English, but there are some mitigating factors for me in particular. I'll be a pretty solid Portuguese speaker by then and my professor has some close friends in the city.

I spent two weeks in São Paulo a few years ago and really liked it. My girlfriend at the time was doing a semester at PUC and we had a great time when I visited (and she had a good time the 7 months she was there too). It's a huge city and it would take forever to get places sometimes (it took her like 2 hours to get to school in the mornings).

It's not as romantic or whatever as Rio and I'm not sure why you would go there for tourism, but I think it's a good city to spend a long time in/live in.