Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CheerGrrl92
May 4, 2007
They call me the owner, because it's what I do
How do you guys think a MPA holds up when applying for federal jobs? I am about to graduate in a year, and I am reading that master's degrees in general aren't worth it..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

CherryCola posted:

Now I'm really starting to wish I hadn't been told that my clearance is in adjudication. I'm sure I won't hear anything for like a month, but that doesn't stop me from refreshing my email about 80 times a day.

Adjudication?

Mine's been in adjudication for a little over 3 years. I hope this helps. Granted, my situation is a special case and it's probably unlikely you're in the same boat.

But DOHA will notify your ISO (at NGA) or yourself directly for more information soon. [within the few months]

With the infosec thing going around on Wikileaks, though. Heh.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CheerGrrl92 posted:

How do you guys think a MPA holds up when applying for federal jobs? I am about to graduate in a year, and I am reading that master's degrees in general aren't worth it..

Actually there are a ton of jobs that require a Master's degrees. At the least, it can usually bump you up to a higher pay band.

Skandiaavity posted:

Adjudication?

Mine's been in adjudication for a little over 3 years. I hope this helps. Granted, my situation is a special case and it's probably unlikely you're in the same boat.

But DOHA will notify your ISO (at NGA) or yourself directly for more information soon. [within the few months]

With the infosec thing going around on Wikileaks, though. Heh.

Holy poo poo, did you kill a diplomat or something?

Mask
Jun 8, 2003
Quis Custodiet Custodes Ipsos?

CheerGrrl92 posted:

Seconding this question but only because I am going to begin (Read: Attempting) my courses for my MPA in the coming semester.

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

menpoop posted:

I obviously have no idea if yall are talking from positions where you'd know this for certain, but this is really unreasonable. These things were literally on the front page of major international newspapers and have been talked about on CNN endlessly. Just loading the Guardian or NYTimes websites would have netted you some information about the cables.

edit: To clarify: I don't mean to doubt either of your genuine concerns or qualifications, but I can't imagine that any rational person would cite knowledge of what's become a major, major news story as a security risk. I've got no experience with the people who do those sort of checks and interviews, as yall presumably do, but I'd hope that common sense would prevail.

edit 2: VVVV that makes sense.

They understand that and common sense does prevail, no worries. That's why they're asking would-be employees not to go digging around pointedly. But I mean, there's nothing you can do about the fact that classified info is all over the newspapers (even before Wikileaks). That's different from bookmarking and scouring Wikileaks and crypto.me though. :P

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

Pompous Rhombus posted:

Holy poo poo, did you kill a diplomat or something?

Worse, apparently.

Faux Pas
May 30, 2003

Anything for a smile.
So holy crap guys, I got a letter for an interview for a county position. Any public health investigators up in this hurr? I have no idea how to prepare for the interview. Any tips? :)

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
Anyone have any stories about the NSF Cyber Service Scholarship-For-Service program?

Zoo
Oct 24, 2004

I hate to break it to you, but there is no big lie, there is no system. The universe is indifferent.

seo posted:

Anyone have any stories about the NSF Cyber Service Scholarship-For-Service program?

Is that the one that seems to funnel people into DHS cybersecurity jobs? If so, I know someone who had a very good and very fortunate experience through it; got his degree through it, came on board to DHS, and is now doing quite well.

Not sure if this is the same program, but in any case, getting help paying for education is a good idea as it is, but doing it to join a discipline in government (cyber/cybersecurity) that currently has strong growth and stability prospects is even better.

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

Zoo posted:

Is that the one that seems to funnel people into DHS cybersecurity jobs? If so, I know someone who had a very good and very fortunate experience through it; got his degree through it, came on board to DHS, and is now doing quite well.

Not sure if this is the same program, but in any case, getting help paying for education is a good idea as it is, but doing it to join a discipline in government (cyber/cybersecurity) that currently has strong growth and stability prospects is even better.

it is. i'm debating whether it would be worth it or not. I'm a computer engineering student and adding on an information assurance concentration would add at least a semester of my time, but the benefits are outstanding. i'd just like to know where the internships and job placements are and what they end up doing. I'd assume the majority are in DC with NSA but I'd rather move westward. Don't know if anyone has any advice on usajobs search terms to give me an idea

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer
oh and does anyone know what the NSA does in denver?

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

seo posted:

oh and does anyone know what the NSA does in denver?

Spy on Americans. Also, if you're a computer engineering student and you think the benefits for a Federal job are amazing, you don't realize what else is out there. Computer science and computer engineering are a couple of the few fields where the private sector still competes easily with anything the Fed can offer in most cases.

I did the computer science route, but a bunch of friends did the computer engineering route and none of them had a hard time finding a job after graduation. The Federal government isn't the worst place to work for, but don't limit yourself to just that in your searches. Especially if you want to move out west.

Also, keep in mind that everyone in the Federal government is going to have to cut back on their budget. Right now there is still no budget passed, and RIFs aren't out of the question. From everything I have seen, programs are trying like crazy to hire right now before the assumed hiring freeze to come in January. Those people are just going to be the first to get let go if things keep going the way that they are though. That doesn't apply universally, but job security isn't a given for new hires right now.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
If we told you, we would have to kill you. :commissar:

seo
Jan 21, 2007
search engine optimizer

dvgrhl posted:

Spy on Americans. Also, if you're a computer engineering student and you think the benefits for a Federal job are amazing, you don't realize what else is out there. Computer science and computer engineering are a couple of the few fields where the private sector still competes easily with anything the Fed can offer in most cases.

I did the computer science route, but a bunch of friends did the computer engineering route and none of them had a hard time finding a job after graduation. The Federal government isn't the worst place to work for, but don't limit yourself to just that in your searches. Especially if you want to move out west.

Also, keep in mind that everyone in the Federal government is going to have to cut back on their budget. Right now there is still no budget passed, and RIFs aren't out of the question. From everything I have seen, programs are trying like crazy to hire right now before the assumed hiring freeze to come in January. Those people are just going to be the first to get let go if things keep going the way that they are though. That doesn't apply universally, but job security isn't a given for new hires right now.

good call. I was thinking short term benefits as its the only scholarship I could apply for at this point plus the stipend and housing makes for a nice ticket

grover
Jan 23, 2002

PEW PEW PEW
:circlefap::circlefap::circlefap:

dvgrhl posted:

Budget cuts are nothing new; more par for the course and not really a game changer. Even the salary freeze sucks and all, but it's a 1.4% difference. Government service remains far more stable the private industry as far as job security goes. Even if your position is RIFed during a budget action, it generally takes an act of congress and you get several years warning, and when it does go, the government will give you priority hiring for other government jobs you're remotely qualified for. Beats the gently caress out of a friday afternoon pink slip.

You can make more money in private industry, though, you've got that right. Nobody gets rich working for the government.

Skandiaavity
Apr 20, 2005

seo posted:

it is. i'm debating whether it would be worth it or not. I'm a computer engineering student and adding on an information assurance concentration would add at least a semester of my time, but the benefits are outstanding. i'd just like to know where the internships and job placements are and what they end up doing. I'd assume the majority are in DC with NSA but I'd rather move westward. Don't know if anyone has any advice on usajobs search terms to give me an idea

IA is a good field to get into...

Everyone has IA. Everyone. Granted your internship might be with an intel or homeland, (if not a generic IT post at another agency), but yeah, your prospects shouldn't be that difficult. While the private sector does have considerably higher pay, the federal's benefits are better. I guess you have to ask yourself if you want to get rich, or live well.. Keep in mind that not every government agency offers benefits like subsidized/el cheapo housing (aside from State/USAID/PC, etc, in DC/MD/VA, I've only seen that there's a few apartment complexes that will give you ~10% off rent).

dvgrhl posted:

From everything I have seen, programs are trying like crazy to hire right now before the assumed hiring freeze to come in January.

Are we looking at the same thing, since I haven't seen any real difference in fed hiring. Unless you mean "trying like crazy to hire" is *posts 2 job openings instead of 1*

and pretty much what grover said.

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Do you think you are dealing with a 4-year-old child to whom you can give some walnuts and chocolates and get gold from him?
Soiled Meat

Skandiaavity posted:

Are we looking at the same thing, since I haven't seen any real difference in fed hiring. Unless you mean "trying like crazy to hire" is *posts 2 job openings instead of 1*

and pretty much what grover said.

I mean they are actually being deliberate in getting things done in a more timely manner, not necessarily posting more job openings. That's not universal, but from what I have seen people are trying a lot harder to move things along right now.

Gin and Juche
Apr 3, 2008

The Highest Judge of Paradise
Shiki Eiki
YAMAXANADU
Welp, got denied for that DoD gig. Its become so typical they like me enough to bring me in to interview, test or whatever, then my file goes to HR and I hit a brick wall. The interviews went well, the tests went well. I know a critical foreign language, studied abroad, I even live in the area,but it seems without any sort of preference that just ain't enough.

Yeah, I'm bitching and moaning, and I still have that contractor or police position to look forward to. Just sucks to get so close.

Better luck next year :toot:.

Gin and Juche fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 15, 2010

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Gravel Gravy posted:

Welp, got denied for that DoD gig. Its become so typical they like me enough to bring me in to interview, test or whatever, then my file goes to HR and I hit a brick wall. The interviews went well, the tests went well. I know a critical foreign language, studied abroad, I even live in the area,but it seems without any sort of preference that just ain't enough.

Yeah, I'm bitching and moaning, and I still have that contractor or police position to look forward to. Just sucks to get so close.

Better luck next year :toot:.

Was that the courier one? If it's any consolation my Schedule A preference is pretty worthless without a good-ol'-boys connection :smith:

As a general thing, I got a reply back from the Border Patrol this morning that they're dragging their feet on processing people for tentative offers because they don't have a budget yet (been a month and a half since I passed the test). Might be a similar situation at other agencies too.

Pompous Rhombus fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Dec 15, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

BP should be a shoe in, though, since they had their budget increased substantially (well, theoretically).

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Is there a difference between a tentative and a conditional offer? I read that a conditional offer is more certain and I realized that's what I have. Just never really thought about the terminology.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

CherryCola posted:

Is there a difference between a tentative and a conditional offer? I read that a conditional offer is more certain and I realized that's what I have. Just never really thought about the terminology.

As far as Border Patrol is concerned, it's something like that. You get a TO once they process your written exam scores and decide to go further with you, but you still have the fitness tests, Oral Board (!), medical clearance, and background investigation remaining before you putter around for months waiting to be called about reporting for the Academy.

Since it precedes the actual interview I don't put a lot of stock in the strength of a "tentative offer", but it's better than nothin' :kiddo:

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa

Pompous Rhombus posted:

As far as Border Patrol is concerned, it's something like that. You get a TO once they process your written exam scores and decide to go further with you, but you still have the fitness tests, Oral Board (!), medical clearance, and background investigation remaining before you putter around for months waiting to be called about reporting for the Academy.

Since it precedes the actual interview I don't put a lot of stock in the strength of a "tentative offer", but it's better than nothin' :kiddo:

Well I got my tentative offer after the interview...and then not too long ago I got a "welcome to the NGA, thanks for accepting the conditional offer" email...and I was thinking it was redundant until someone pointed out the difference. Either way, still waiting on that adjudication.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Edit: never mind.

mystes fucked around with this message at 00:35 on Dec 17, 2010

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Ugh, good God the federal hiring process is so slow compared to the civilian world.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Well I'll be damned. Got the phonecall to schedule my interview today.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Made it past the phone interview! Now I have to do one face to face in DC in January.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Has anyone ever done a Paralegal program with the government? I'm applying to a couple, Justice and FTC. They are ~$45,000 for 1-2 years, with an opportunity to take a permanent position afterward. Are these as good a deal as they look?

Happydayz
Jan 6, 2001

Slaan posted:

Has anyone ever done a Paralegal program with the government? I'm applying to a couple, Justice and FTC. They are ~$45,000 for 1-2 years, with an opportunity to take a permanent position afterward. Are these as good a deal as they look?

is there a career ladder for the permanent positions? Worth asking. Where I worked I came in as a GS-9, but had automatic promotions to GS-12 every 6 months. I know that government layers are in a career ladder where they come in as GS-10's or 12s, but are promoted annually until they hit GS-13/14/15.

fivetwo
Jun 19, 2009
ICE will be hiring Special Agents via USAJobs on January 17th (ish). They have about 600 openings... 99% will be "southwest border" spots (not major cities... think Eagle Pass; Nogales; Douglas; etc.).

Word is also that DEA will open applications for Special Agents in January or soon thereafter.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!
So I applied for a job in NYC a few months ago; I currently live in Louisiana, but I'm planning on moving to Brooklyn next year. I was expecting the process to take a long time, so I applied now and got notice within a month that I was considered eligible. However, my app wasn't sent to the hiring agency because I don't currently live in NYC.
Never mind that I would've hopped on a plane the next day for the job and have tons of family and friends that would've hosted me until I got a place of my own.

That being said, is there some way I can continue to apply for these jobs and be considered despite not actually living there at the moment? :/

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

chuchumeister posted:

That being said, is there some way I can continue to apply for these jobs and be considered despite not actually living there at the moment? :/

Are you sure it was because of your geographic location? Otherwise, I think it depends entirely upon the agency. When I did my phone interview with the DA for this FCIP position they told me that they were flying in people from all over the country and putting them up in DC for the final round of interviews in January.

skram
Dec 15, 2005
Does anybody have any experience with Federal internships? Particularly a SCEP appointment.

I was offered a SCEP position after doing a STEP this past summer. I would have to go back and intern again for one more summer before being eligible for conversion after I graduate from a masters program in HR in Sept.

I worked in the HR dept. for USDA and really enjoyed working in DC. I have an OK job right now, but would prefer living in DC and working as a federal employee. I just wanted to know what the likelihood of being converted to a permanent employee would be.

If you guys have any experience with SCEP appointments, please share. Thanks.

gmilo
Jun 27, 2006
wooo

fivetwo posted:

ICE will be hiring Special Agents via USAJobs on January 17th (ish). They have about 600 openings... 99% will be "southwest border" spots (not major cities... think Eagle Pass; Nogales; Douglas; etc.).

Word is also that DEA will open applications for Special Agents in January or soon thereafter.

How do you find this out? And if you don't have law enforcement/military experience are you SOL on these types of positions?

hibachi
Oct 3, 2006
chawks
Anyone working for the federal government in Austin want to refer me to something? I'm a hard worker :)

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

gmilo posted:

How do you find this out? And if you don't have law enforcement/military experience are you SOL on these types of positions?

It's quite possible to be hired without military/LEO experience. Waiting to be scheduled for an interview with Border Patrol at the moment.

chuchumeister
Jul 23, 2007

Stuffed with dericious cream for your pleasure!

psydude posted:

Are you sure it was because of your geographic location? Otherwise, I think it depends entirely upon the agency. When I did my phone interview with the DA for this FCIP position they told me that they were flying in people from all over the country and putting them up in DC for the final round of interviews in January.

The email I got said this:

quote:

You have been found eligible for this position, but not within reach for the list of eligibles referred for employment consideration. Your eligibility is solely based on your responses and was neither reviewed or verified.

Maybe I read it wrong, but to me that referred to my location. I thought it was odd too, considering how many people in here are getting called up for interviews all around the country. Oh well. I'll just keep on a-truckin'.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Weird. Don't know what to tell you other than try reapplying when you actually move to NY maybe?

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

chuchumeister posted:

The email I got said this:

Maybe I read it wrong, but to me that referred to my location. I thought it was odd too, considering how many people in here are getting called up for interviews all around the country. Oh well. I'll just keep on a-truckin'.

My reading of that is that it refers to your numerical score on the introductory qualification scale. You made the cutoff to be considered eligible (meet basic qualifications) but did not make the cutoff to be considered competitive and referred to a hiring official. It is not related to geography.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dvgrhl
Sep 30, 2004

Soiled Meat

skram posted:

Does anybody have any experience with Federal internships? Particularly a SCEP appointment.

I was offered a SCEP position after doing a STEP this past summer. I would have to go back and intern again for one more summer before being eligible for conversion after I graduate from a masters program in HR in Sept.

I worked in the HR dept. for USDA and really enjoyed working in DC. I have an OK job right now, but would prefer living in DC and working as a federal employee. I just wanted to know what the likelihood of being converted to a permanent employee would be.

If you guys have any experience with SCEP appointments, please share. Thanks.

There would be no reason to convert you to a SCEP if they didn't intend on making you a full time employee after graduation. However, that doesn't mean it would be a permanent position. The position they have in mind could be a 2-3 year term position. Best thing to do would be to ask.

I started my internship as a STEP, and later on was converted to a SCEP, and at graduation was offered a permanent full time position. But I knew when I was converted to a SCEP that they intended to offer me a permanent full time position when I graduated because it's one of the things we discussed.

If you have any questions about being a SCEP or converting to full time employee after graduation, let me know.

Tyro posted:

My reading of that is that it refers to your numerical score on the introductory qualification scale. You made the cutoff to be considered eligible (meet basic qualifications) but did not make the cutoff to be considered competitive and referred to a hiring official. It is not related to geography.

Yep, that's the correct reading.