Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Web Jew.0 posted:

also weren't his matches against desmond aj and kennedy serious serious motyc this year.

The best Nigel matches were last year and I didn't think either of the big AJ matches this year were anything special. The Kennedy cage match was really good though, forgot about that one. (I haven't put together a MOTY list so not sure how high it is or anything.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

Captain Charisma posted:

Brock Lesnar is also an immature hick with an enormous ego, in addition to how loving stupid it would have been to waste an angle like that when they could have easily just served up Booker T like they did after Lesnar left. Undertaker is a guy who had been around for a decade and thus should have been helping establish new guys instead of being a child and making sure he looked great. The DDP/Kanyon vs. Kane/UT cage match at Summerslam 2001 is probably the best example of this contained in one match. A pathetic, self-serving burial of two guys that could have contributed to the company for a few years for no reason.
I definitely agree with how you felt about the match, it was a really mericless squash that almost has to be seen to accurately convey just how bad they made DDP and Kanyon look.

So I hear TNA actually does tag teams better than WWE?

I've heard a lot of this Beer Money Vs MCMG feud that was supposed to have have amaazing matches but I'm fairly ignorant (I don't even know who Beer Money is).

I'd be thrilled if you guys could give me some good examples of TNA tag team wrestling.

Sue Denim fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Dec 11, 2010

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

I definitely agree with how you felt about the match, it was a really mericless squash that almost has to be seen to accurately convey just how bad they made DDP and Kanyon look.

So I hear TNA actually does tag teams better than WWE?

I've heard a lot of this Beer Money Vs MCMG feud that was supposed to have have amaazing matches but I'm fairly ignorant (I don't even know who Beer Money is).

I'd be thrilled if you guys could give me some good examples of TNA tag team wrestling.

anything with MCMG. Also LAX was great for while it lasted, and Beer Money Inc. isn't bad at all either.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Web Jew.0 posted:

how quickly we forget

skip sheffield

as awesome as Skippy was in Nexus, I still have a hankering for him to go back to his original role as Wiliam Regal's loathed assistant. An Eliza Doolittle angle between Regal and Sheffield would crack me up forever.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

ADRIEN GRODYS FIFE posted:

anything with MCMG. Also LAX was great for while it lasted, and Beer Money Inc. isn't bad at all either.

Generation Me (also known as the Young Bucks) are pretty good if what you're after can be summed up as "The Hardy Boyz without meth or insanity"

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009
I do have a vague idea of which teams have buzz around them in TNA, but I'd really appreciate some specific examples of matches, there's so much tood buzz around Beer Money and MCMG for example, I think if I were to see one of their more underwhelming matches I'd probably be pretty dissapointed.

Although from the very few episodes of Impact I've seen the MCMG were the only memorable thing.

One more question, how do you guys keep in touch with what's going on in the indies?

I'd imagine not all of you are in locations where you are able to see indie wrestling live, I'm from Melbourne and I have heard that there is at least one organization puytting on shows although I'm very skeptical about the quality as any niche form of entertainment in Melbourne seems to be invariablly inconsistent in quality because of unprepared people getting opportunities because of a lack of number of performers in communities.

Anyway, I'm getting off the point, if your not seeing indie wrestling live what sources are you obtaining it from?

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe

Rusty Shackelford posted:

Scott likened Nash in his later WCW days as Poochie from the Simpsons. If Nash was on the screen, everyone would be talking about him; if Nash wasn't on the screen, everyone would ask "where's Nash." Scott was transferring the Poochie moniker from Nash to Taker.

Hm, I always thought RD Reynolds coined the Poochie tagline.

Not that much better but anyone is better than Scott Keith.

Also Fully Loaded's matches were good, but the booking was really odd, and probably the first sign of things starting to go downhill. Undertaker squashes Angle, who the very next month will be in the top program, and in 3 months will win the title. Rock/Benoit has a Dusty Finish. HHH/Jericho ends with the wrong man winning, and Jericho doesn't sniff the main event scene for a good year, and he has to be a heel to do it.

Pneub
Mar 12, 2007

I'M THE DEVIL, AND I WILL WASH OVER THE EARTH AND THE SEAS WILL RUN RED WITH THE BLOOD OF ALL THE SINNERS

I AM REBORN

Web Jew.0 posted:

how quickly we forget

skip sheffield

Well it's been fuckin whatever and Wade Barret for 5 months now.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Lamuella posted:

as awesome as Skippy was in Nexus, I still have a hankering for him to go back to his original role as Wiliam Regal's loathed assistant. An Eliza Doolittle angle between Regal and Sheffield would crack me up forever.

You mean you want Skip to be the Zack Ryder to William Regal's Edge?

I could get behind that idea.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Writer Cath posted:

You mean you want Skip to be the Zack Ryder to William Regal's Edge?

I could get behind that idea.

all I want is a skit where Skip Sheffield in a morning suit is trying to make and pour a cup of tea to Regal's satisfaction.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Lamuella posted:

all I want is a skit where Skip Sheffield in a morning suit is trying to make and pour a cup of tea to Regal's satisfaction.

Ziggy Tzardust
Apr 7, 2006

Sue Denim posted:

I do have a vague idea of which teams have buzz around them in TNA, but I'd really appreciate some specific examples of matches, there's so much tood buzz around Beer Money and MCMG for example, I think if I were to see one of their more underwhelming matches I'd probably be pretty dissapointed.

Although from the very few episodes of Impact I've seen the MCMG were the only memorable thing.

If you want an AWESOME match between the two teams, check out the 2/3 falls match they had on their "Whole F'in' show" special episode of impact. It was a serious MOTYC. As for who Beer Money are, they're pretty much tied with the Kings of Wrestling as the best team in the world today. James Storm had broken up with his previous tag team partner and was kind of stalling. He hadn't had any memorable feuds or angles. He was just there with an entertaining 'drunk cowboy' gimmick. Robert Roode had been attempted to be pushed for years with a 'rich guy' gimmick but he just didn't have the charisma to pull it off. They took two guys who were floundering and made them into a team which played off their respective gimmicks. Hence, Beer Money. They clicked almost immediately. They're one of the few teams who really 'get' tag psychology. They're pretty much a southern tag-team from the 1970s with a much more modern moveset. I'd probably give them the edge over the Kings simply because I can't see the KOW workking babyface whereas Beer Money have worked face before.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

MrBling posted:

You'd think that after the huge pop DDP got when he unmasked that WWE would have maybe decided to go in a different a direction.

The crowd basically went "booo, booo .. boo-is that DDP? YAAAY"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xiva5s80vzM

DDP IS THE SICKO!! DDP IS THE STALKER!! *crowd goes ballistic for the sicko stalker*

You can't hate DDP and WWE should have known better. He could have been a monster face in WWE just like he was in WCW. DDP was one of the only things in WCW that got the crowd consistently nuts. Not as much as Goldberg, but he certainly did his part through all the bullshit they were put through. WWE basically called him everything in the book short of the guy in the windowless van that hands out candy to kids and people still loved him. I'm glad they at least didn't cross that line on the poor guy.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Dec 11, 2010

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

MassRayPer posted:

Also Scott Keith's MMA reviews are loving hilarious and possibly worse than his wrestling reviews are now.

Is that even possible? I read one of his recent PPV reviews, and it was, like, 4-star match, 3-star match, 3.5-star, even the Divas match was over a star, nothing sucked, but his whole attitude was "wrestling sucks, MMA is cooler, 'recommendation to avoid.'"

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
How many people have been booked to "die" in wrestling?

Paul Bearer x2 (I assume he did not survive that fall)
Vince McMahon
Al Wilson

Any other notable examples?

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Vince McMahon
Al Wilson

The Undertaker.

Eddie Whitson
Nov 2, 2010

Mr. Carlisle posted:

DDP IS THE SICKO!! DDP IS THE STALKER!! *crowd goes ballistic for the sicko stalker*

You can't hate DDP and WWE should have known better.

Yeah, my suspension of disbelief was broken when DDP was revealed as the stalker. So you're telling me a man married to Kim Page was stalking someone who probably wouldn't even rate half a Bella?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Vince McMahon
Al Wilson

Tim White.

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

Sue Denim posted:

One more question, how do you guys keep in touch with what's going on in the indies?

Buying shows and attending live for the most part.

All the websites will give you updates also.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
I follow UltraMantisBlack and Chuck Taylor on twitter, they provide all the relevant news.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Web Jew.0 posted:

a lot of ppl liked his series with kane (i didn't) so "complete poo poo" is kinda harsh.

WHO? People liked the promos but who in the world liked those matches?

ColeM
Dec 23, 2007
New User Alert!

Mr. Carlisle posted:

You can't hate DDP and WWE should have known better. He could have been a monster face in WWE just like he was in WCW. DDP was one of the only things in WCW that got the crowd consistently nuts. Not as much as Goldberg, but he certainly did his part through all the bullshit they were put through. WWE basically called him everything in the book short of the guy in the windowless van that hands out candy to kids and people still loved him. I'm glad they at least didn't cross that line on the poor guy.

Word was back in the day, that DDP wanted to work for the WWE and be a part of the invasion so bad, that he opted to take a contract buyout for 50 cents on the dollar. I'm sure he has regretted it ever since.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

ColeM posted:

Word was back in the day, that DDP wanted to work for the WWE and be a part of the invasion so bad, that he opted to take a contract buyout for 50 cents on the dollar. I'm sure he has regretted it ever since.

DDP wanted to work for the WWE very badly, and actually took a paycut to do so, gets pushed as a stalker and a creep and never sniffs the World Title.

Goldberg didn't want to work for the WWE, waited for his contract with Turner to expire, and then got a massive paying contract from the WWE. He gets pushed as a monster, is one of the few to ever defeat Evolution, wins the World Title, throws a baby tantrum and leaves the WWE.

Man, gently caress the WWE.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

ColeM posted:

Which is a shame because even at his age DDP could carry alot of WWE talent that really couldn't wrestle at the time to great matches had they given him the chance to. Being that Page loves to plan out his matches ahead of time anyway he would have been great for current era WWE had he been even 15 years younger than he is now. Even at age 54 the dude still looks incredible and could probably still have a decent match on a regular basis. At least he did from the last recent video I saw of him anyway.

By far the saddest thing about the DDP saga:

quote:

Juggalo Championship Wrestling (2009)

On August 9, 2009, Diamond Dallas Page made a special appearance with JCW aligning himself with the jWo. He hit his trademark Diamond Cutter finisher on Trent Acid late in the match. Page retired from the ring shortly thereafter.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010
Is DDP in any kind of shape that the WWE could use him in the Undertaker's Wrestlemania match in Atlanta next year? I know they must be desperate trying to think of something big for this Wrestlemania and I assume there will be a lot of WCW nostalgia with it being in Atlanta. I just don't know how broken down DDP is, or if there's bad blood between him and WWE.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo
DDP is made of Yoga and leather, he's in fine condition. Would probably have a rather thick layer of ring rust though.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

rotinaj posted:

DDP wanted to work for the WWE very badly, and actually took a paycut to do so, gets pushed as a stalker and a creep and never sniffs the World Title.

Goldberg didn't want to work for the WWE, waited for his contract with Turner to expire, and then got a massive paying contract from the WWE. He gets pushed as a monster, is one of the few to ever defeat Evolution, wins the World Title, throws a baby tantrum and leaves the WWE.

Man, gently caress the WWE.

Goes to show you who was the smarter man.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

Goes to show you who was the smarter man.

Yes, DDP was a total retard for not knowing that Vince McMahon, a savvy businessman who had risen from the ashes and defeated WCW leading to it being sold to him, could easily cock up potentially the biggest money making angle ever that had fallen right into his lap. I don't think anyone could have seen how badly he would have hosed up the invasion.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

Yes, DDP was a total retard for not knowing that Vince McMahon, who had risen from the ashes and defeated WCW leading to it being sold to him, could easily cock up potentially the biggest money making angle ever that had fallen right into his lap.

He was a total retard for not understanding that he was more valuable later than sooner.

Without a DDP and Booker T, I don't see the Invasion even happening.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

MrBling posted:

DDP is made of Yoga and leather, he's in fine condition. Would probably have a rather thick layer of ring rust though.
The way he plans matches out could help with the rust and with both him and Taker being well past their prime. WWE could actually make a really cool angle out of it with DDP wanting a Wrestlemania match to dedicate to his dead buddy Kanyon.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

At the time I doubt he knew exactly who was coming in and who wasn't. It's not like they are going to sit him down and tell him who is holding out and what the status of their contracts are.

He saw the biggest angle in history potentially coming and wanted to be a part of it after being misused in WCW for a long, long time. I don't blame him at all. Plus, the dude is super positive and believes in people way more than he should. At the time it was probably an easy decision to make being that he was older and didn't want to get left behind.

What are the chances WWE would have actually picked him up after he had sat on the shelf for a year at his age? He'd basically be in the same situation Matt Hardy is in now. Left during a time when he was still really over but was getting up there in age and was sitting on the shelf long enough and when he comes back no one will give a poo poo.

Goldberg was pretty much shelf proof at that point in time due to being absolutely huge, Page really wasn't.

Orange Carlisle fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Dec 11, 2010

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MrBling posted:

DDP is 54 years old and I guarantee you a huge percentage of the audience watching today has no clue who the hell he is. He's not a Ric Flair, who was around in the business for decades before his retirement angle (which was built so well that even young fans who came in with the Cena era gave a poo poo about it). DDP and Undertaker at WrestleMania 27 would go over about as well as a wet fart in church.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Mr. Carlisle posted:

What are the chances WWE would have actually picked him up after he had sat on the shelf for a year at his age? He'd basically be in the same situation Matt Hardy is in now. Left during a time when he was still really over but sit on the shelf long enough and when he comes back no one will give a poo poo.

Goldberg was pretty much shelf proof at that point in time, Page really wasn't.

The fact that 2002 was the year the majority of the guys who sat on their contracts became free agents, that tells me that with no DDP or Booker T, there would be no Invasion. But there may have been an Invasion when Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Steiner, Goldberg and if we add Booker T and DDP's contracts would become available. I'm probably forgetting Rey there too. That would have been a real Invasion.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Timby posted:

DDP is 54 years old and I guarantee you a huge percentage of the audience watching today has no clue who the hell he is. He's not a Ric Flair, who was around in the business for decades before his retirement angle (which was built so well that even young fans who came in with the Cena era gave a poo poo about it). DDP and Undertaker at WrestleMania 27 would go over about as well as a wet fart in church.

This but with Sting and Undertaker at WM.

Orange Carlisle
Jul 14, 2007

Lone Rogue posted:

The fact that 2002 was the year the majority of the guys who sat on their contracts became free agents, that tells me that with no DDP or Booker T, there would be no Invasion. But there may have been an Invasion when Hogan, Flair, Hall, Nash, Steiner, Goldberg and if we add Booker T and DDP's contracts would become available. I'm probably forgetting Rey there too. That would have been a real Invasion.

It's all a big what if, though. McMahon seemed to be on fire to burn though and waste one of the biggest chances in history regardless - so had Page just sat out it could have still went on with even more guys that were lower on the totem pole in WCW. Vince's purpose was to bury WCW to feed his own ego at that point and he made it pretty obvious.

I really don't fault Page for taking the chance because he's one of the few guys that did and probably didn't know it would only be he and Booker T carrying the WCW flag. We call it stupid now because of the way it played out and was booked - but had it been handled differenty and ended up huge Page would have been the smart one where some of the bigger guys would have sat at home and been released later on instead of brought in after the huge invasion bungle.

While we could talk all day about what could have happened, at least Page gave it a shot and trusted someone that had proven himself a great wrestling promoter even in the face of the death of his company and had helped kill a wrestling juggernaut directly before it all went down.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

Timby posted:

Well sure, but that wasn't the question.

DDP didn't start wrestling until his late 30s and he's still completely obsessed with his yoga fitness thing so he's in good shape.

I would love to see DDP back but he would have to be more of a mentor/manager who wrestles occasionally.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

elf help book posted:

This but with Sting and Undertaker at WM.
Yeah, Sting wasn't even in WWE the short time DDP was.
I think WWE could make one of them work with their great video packages and some good build up, writing and promos. Piper got a great reaction for his recent Raw promo and Lawler got one of the biggest crowd reactions in awhile despite all of his good work being along time ago. Most of the current young fans probably just think of him as that old, bored commentator.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

savinhill posted:

Yeah, Sting wasn't even in WWE the short time DDP was.
I think WWE could make one of them work with their great video packages and some good build up, writing and promos. Piper got a great reaction for his recent Raw promo and Lawler got one of the biggest crowd reactions in awhile despite all of his good work being along time ago. Most of the current young fans probably just think of him as that old, bored commentator.

Piper and Lawler also get like a match once a year every year, so it's not like they are complete nobodies when WWE brings them back out. They reuse the same 'legends' a lot and it leads to that credibility without witnessing that the young crowd gives them.

Sting and DDP haven't had the same past 10 years of people saying how great they are.

George Kaplan
Mar 12, 2006

Is DDP big enough to get into the Hall of Fame some year?

I'd say he was, but only just.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Graic
Feb 2, 2008

Fella Man
Koko B. Ware is in the Hall of Fame.