Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!

Aericina posted:

So whoever said the HSG wasn't painful at all, I'd like to have a word with you.

Four different catheters and they were all too big to fit in the cervical opening. The doctor resorted to just shoving it in there and holy poo poo, ow. I've been in bed for about 30 hours and it still hurts to cough or laugh.

This poo poo better be worth it.

Great. I hope I don't have to get one now more than ever! :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dishonesty
Sep 11, 2001

There's no place like home.

Fire In The Disco posted:

I had similar confusion myself, and so I started using ovu strips. It was a good call for me, as I ovulated right after trying the strips for the first time, and got knocked up. :)

Same for me. The ovulation strips were great. Pee on it - the test line is a little bit lighter than the other - I'll try later. Try again that night, test line is darker - LETS GO HAVE SEXXXXXX.

Had sex that day and the next and voila, preggo!

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Aericina posted:

So whoever said the HSG wasn't painful at all, I'd like to have a word with you.

Four different catheters and they were all too big to fit in the cervical opening. The doctor resorted to just shoving it in there and holy poo poo, ow. I've been in bed for about 30 hours and it still hurts to cough or laugh.

I'm sorry it was so painful for you :( It definitely seems to be a variable procedure in terms of the amount of pain. But if it helps diagnose a problem, even with it indicating what the problem isn't, I'd think it'd be worth it.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Aericina posted:

Whoa sorry, I guess your mileage may vary.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
So far the ultrasound was good, HSG was good and FSH blood test was good. I have no idea what the problem is at this point. Last cycle was 54 days though.

Farrah
Jun 19, 2008

Aericina posted:

So far the ultrasound was good, HSG was good and FSH blood test was good. I have no idea what the problem is at this point. Last cycle was 54 days though.

I don't remember, was your partner's sperm analyzed yet? You may end up with the horrible designation of "unexplained fertility." Our numbers on everything were great and we had no problems. We just couldn't get pregnant again after my miscarriage. In my last cycle of IUI, they were afraid I was going to go Octomom since I had 14 ripe follicles at trigger but I still got a negative result. I wish I had done IVF sooner because it was 8 months of no after no after no and tons of money.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Have any of you guys heard of vitamin C (and D I think) deficiency being strongly linked with infertility? I had a friend with this issue and she found out she was SEVERLY vit. C deficient after about 6 years of trying to conceive. I haven't looked strongly into it but Googling seems to show that it's a common problem.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
So I ovulated a couple days later than I expected, leading my period to come a couple days later, even with the days pushed back due to ovulation. I was actually hopeful on Friday evening since there was no sign of my period. Saturday morning rolled by, two negative tests and then I started. /sigh. Back to square one I suppose.

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

I'm sorry Bahunter22 :(

I went to the fertility clinic again yesterday and we get to try Clomid + IUI again this month. The cyst on my right ovary is still there, but there weren't any new ones :toot: Started the Clomid yesterday.

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010

Grayscale Rainbow posted:

The cyst on my right ovary is still there, but there weren't any new ones :toot: Started the Clomid yesterday.

Hooray for no new cysts!

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.

Farrah posted:

I don't remember, was your partner's sperm analyzed yet? You may end up with the horrible designation of "unexplained fertility." Our numbers on everything were great and we had no problems. We just couldn't get pregnant again after my miscarriage. In my last cycle of IUI, they were afraid I was going to go Octomom since I had 14 ripe follicles at trigger but I still got a negative result. I wish I had done IVF sooner because it was 8 months of no after no after no and tons of money.

After a week and a half, his results came back normal. Having my 14th day ultrasound on Friday.

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.
(Lurker here, sorry to barge in)

So I've been trying those ovulation strips for a while and holy crap, I got a positive this morning. I was beginning to think they were defective. Anyway, the instructions say to have intercourse 24-48 hours after the positive. So, I should definitely not try tonight? This is nerve-wracking. :ohdear:

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist

ThirstyGirl posted:

So I've been trying those ovulation strips for a while and holy crap, I got a positive this morning. I was beginning to think they were defective. Anyway, the instructions say to have intercourse 24-48 hours after the positive. So, I should definitely not try tonight? This is nerve-wracking. :ohdear:

When I detected a surge I had sex the same day, the next day, and two days after that. I think what they mean is have sex within the next 24-48 hours.

edit: Forgot to add that that is what worked for me, got us right preggo. :D

Fire In The Disco fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Dec 9, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

ThirstyGirl posted:

Have sex! Like now! And then do it again tomorrow!

ThirstyGirl
Oct 18, 2005

You are the memory that lives on forever, the shadow that stands by our side.

Bodnoirbabe posted:

Have sex! Like now! And then do it again tomorrow!

Will do ASAP! Thanks for the clarification, Fire In The Disco. I must have read the directions wrong.

Isis Q. Dylan
Feb 19, 2008

Don't wanna be your man, just wanna play with you.
Apologies in advance if this is supposed to go in the pregnancy thread, but I figured it'd fit better in this one. Did any of you go to the doctor just to get checked out before you started trying? Did you go see your normal doc or an OB? We won't be trying until this summer but I figured I'd ask around because A) I'm super excited, and B) I need to try and figure out what can be skipped over if possible. A $30 co-pay isn't the worst thing but it'd be nice to not have to pay it. For the record I don't have any major reproductive issues although I have had a miscarriage in the past. I'm kind of worried about that happening again but it happened at 5 weeks. I know that those are under no one's control and they're also fairly common, so it's not a big worry.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
We were going to have a pre-conception appointment with my OB, but as it turned out, I was already pregnant when we went so it turned into prenatal care. But my OB's practice definitely offered pre-conception appointments.

One thing I would do in the near future (or at least a few months before you start trying) is start taking prenatals again. You want to get the upped amounts of folic acid going as soon as possible when you are pregnant, so starting beforehand is a good idea.

bamzilla
Jan 13, 2005

All butt since 2012.

Isis Q. Dylan posted:

Apologies in advance if this is supposed to go in the pregnancy thread, but I figured it'd fit better in this one. Did any of you go to the doctor just to get checked out before you started trying? Did you go see your normal doc or an OB? We won't be trying until this summer but I figured I'd ask around because A) I'm super excited, and B) I need to try and figure out what can be skipped over if possible. A $30 co-pay isn't the worst thing but it'd be nice to not have to pay it. For the record I don't have any major reproductive issues although I have had a miscarriage in the past. I'm kind of worried about that happening again but it happened at 5 weeks. I know that those are under no one's control and they're also fairly common, so it's not a big worry.

I didn't bother going before we started trying, but I did go ahead and start my prenatals a month or so before I knew we would start. Which was good since I got pregnant earlier than I expected. If you don't have any major issues, it probably isn't necessary short of a physical with your regular doctor to see how things are before you start (BP, weight, etc). You might also mention you're trying.

bamzilla fucked around with this message at 19:41 on Dec 10, 2010

Longpig
Nov 23, 2004

I did go see my regular doctor before we started trying... The only thing I was told that I hadn't already thought of (take prenatals, folic acid, etc...) was that I should get my rubella immunity checked.

bilabial trill
Dec 25, 2008

not just a B
I didn't go specifically for that, but I mentioned that we were going to try to conceive when I was there for something else. He mentioned prenatals, but I had already started taking them. He then went on a long rant about how in his opinion people wait too long to have children! They should have them in their early to mid twenties! Not in their late thirties! OMG! My doctor is kind of strange.

I wish I had though of asking if I should refresh my vaccines, since my doc didn't mention it and I found out later it's a good idea to get a pertussis booster.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
We're not trying yet but will be in the next few months, so I made sure to get a standard yearly physical and blood work as well as a pelvic/pap. I also started prenatals several months ago. We also want to get him in for his exam and blood work but waiting until the insurance from his job kicks in.

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
You could get your rubella titers checked or you could just get the shot. If you're going in for an annual exam, you could just mention it then.
I went to see my regular doc before trying with Mischa b/c I needed to get off Paxil, we didn't really discuss anything else, though. With my deadbaby (sorry if that offends), I had my annual with my OB a couple months before. I wasn't really trying, so I didn't ask anything then, but the nurse asked what I was using for birth control. When I said nothing, she asked what I was doing to prevent pregnancy. Uh, nothing, that's what I meant when I said I wasn't using birth control.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I had my 14th cycle day ultrasound today. I was told that my biggest ovum on either side are measuring 18mm, nowhere near the 26mm they are supposed to be around this time. I was told that there was nothing they could do for this cycle. I'll keep testing with the OPKs but it sounds like this is kind of bad news. It also wasn't helpful to see all the pregnant ladies and to hear the heartbeats of others in the other room. :(

fishandcandy
Jul 10, 2006
Maybe you're just ovulating later?

Papaya
Apr 4, 2005

I'm a creepy furry who feels entitled to other people's babies, but only if they are white. Yiff!
Not everyone ovulates at day 14 or thereabouts. I almost always do it by day 12 (as early as 10 as late as 14). If you scanned me at day 14 I'd probably be done.

yawnie
Jul 29, 2003
lollerz.
Two months ago I ovulated on CD 20. Ovulation tests, thermal shift, and all of the other signs confirmed it as clear as day. I wouldn't be too concerned just yet.

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

Today is about the 10th day past ovulation and I'm getting some sharp cramping on my right side of my pelvis area. I am trying not to get overly excited because it could just be nothing, but I am a little. I should know for sure by next sunday where I'm pregnant or not...

Revenant77
Aug 28, 2004

Not so sweet
My average day of ovulation was day 19. Some of us just take longer to get there.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I know but I'm not happy about having to test every day when my cycles average 56 days. On top of that I was taking Clomid and I was hoping it would help correct it.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

If they told you there was nothing they could do for this cycle, does that mean that their attitude was basically, "Well since you didn't ovulate on day 14, we give up until next cycle?" I mean, I know the women-ovulate-on-day-14 idea was still pretty widespread, but it seems like enough women would ovulate on other cycle days that they'd be more optimistic about giving you another scan later in your cycle.

As a little bit of hope, I was having 50-80 day cycles for the past year after coming off my Mirena, until last cycle when I started a vitamin cycle of a multivitamin, folic acid, evening primrose oil, vitex, and a b-complex...and last cycle I ovulated around day 22 and only had a 37 day cycle, which is what I used to have before I was on birth control! This cycle, I'm currently on day 24 and it looks like I'm ovulating again, so hopefully it'll be another 37 or 38 day cycle. It really does suck testing all the time when your cycles are so long, I know. I hope things will change for you soon.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
Yeah they were all just like "There's nothing we can do for you this cycle, so tell us when you get your period and we'll try something else. If you do the OPKs just keep doing that and see if you happen to get anything." It was pretty defeatist and kind of frustrating for me.

I do currently take a multivitamin prenatal and a separate DHA regimen, I've been doing that for about a year. I've been off birth control for over a year, but I couldn't tell you what my normal cycle is supposed to be as I've been on some kind of birth control for 15 years. I tried the temperature tracking for about 8 months with no obvious changes, actually I bought TCOYF and followed that with no useful help. I'm really just venting here since I don't have anyone to talk to about it. I'm just very frustrated that this is so difficult.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Ah, I wasn't meaning to suggest that if you took vitamins your cycle would definitely go back to normal! Sorry if came off that way. Anyway, looks like I spoke too soon because my temperature didn't go up like it should have if I did ovulate, so I may be in for another 50+ day cycle again this time as well. I'm angry because my ovulation tests got ALMOST dark enough, and I even spotted lightly on the day I thought I'd ovulate, but no temp change, and no positive test, so probably no go this cycle. Gahh!

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
I feel your pain, although I don't think I've ever had a spotting episode outside of these little surgeries I've had. The 50+ day cycles make it hard because you only get 5-6 months of opportunity windows rather than closer to 12 that you should have.

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
Well, what do you know. A positive OPK. I've never seen this before, and I'm slightly excited. :ohdear:

Maybe the Clomid did work and I won't have a 2 month cycle.

Roxy Rouge
Oct 27, 2009
Yay Aericina! Good Luck this cycle. I took Clomid for a bit and understand the roller coaster it can be:)

Grayscale Rainbow
Oct 17, 2009

Yay Aericina! I've got my fingers crossed for you :)

I had IUI take 2 yesterday. I now have the wonderful two week wait to see if anything comes of it.

Pata Pata Pata Pon
Jun 20, 2007

Woo Aericina! So do you call back the doctors now and tell them they were wrong? ;)

Aericina
Mar 3, 2005

Meez, please.
haha! Well, I'm due back for a progesterone test on Friday that was prescheduled. I don't know what kind of results to expect, but I'm supposed to call them after the two week wait either way.

Aericina fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Dec 15, 2010

Bodnoirbabe
Apr 30, 2007

My temperature dropped below my coverline today. Should get my period today, no later than tomorrow. I'm a bit numb right now, but there is nagging disappointment in the back of my mind. I'm sure I'm going to cry once my period does start.

This sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bahunter22
Jul 3, 2010
I did that last go around. I held it together and then when I finally got some time to myself I lost it. /sigh. I hate that feeling.

A little disappointing, my man isn't really feeling in the mood to have a funky kind of night. Really disappointing because I'm ovulating. Like now. Crossing my fingers he feels like it in the next 24 hours.

• Locked thread