Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Roboto
Jun 15, 2009

I SWING BY AUNT MAY's
FOR A SHOWER AND A
BITE, MOST NATURAL
THING IN THE WORLD,
ASSUMING SHE'S
NOT HOME...

...AND I
FIND HER IN BED
WITH MY
FATHER, AND THE
TWO OF THEM
ARE...ARE...

...AAAAAAAAUUUUGH!

Gravity Pike posted:

I was suddenly made best man at a buddy's wedding. By 9 am tomorrow, I need supplies to vandalize his car. Where can you get those markers designed for writing on glass? I figure also balloons... any other ideas? I don't really know what I'm doing.

Honestly, the "wreck my buddy's car" thing is a pretty lame '80s gimmick and will probably make the wedding more stressful than it already is.

Why not use the cash you'd spend on that on a cool gesture for him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravity Pike
Feb 8, 2009

I find this discussion incredibly bland and disinteresting.
I was specifically asked by the mother of the bride to do it. I figure we're not actually going to trash it, just dress it up with balloons and a cutesy "just married" written in his rear window. (Which is why I'm asking about the markers specifically designed for writing/easy cleanup on glass.)

I'm trying to do it as a thoughtful gesture, in a manner that he'd appreciate, rather than annoy him. Knowing both the bride and groom, I don't think either would object to it.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Could you please continue the petty bickering? I find it most intriguing.

Gravity Pike posted:

Where can you get those markers designed for writing on glass?

For this, just try a bar of soap. People write on car windows with soap all the time since it's totally non damaging. I'd also suggest covering it in toilet paper then sprinkling it with a hose so it gets wet if you want another relatively harmless vandalism. You could dice up paper and put it in his vents so it blows out when he turns on his heat too. And all this you should have around your house too, so no need to go buy anything unless you want to grab balloons.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Dec 11, 2010

Arriviste
Sep 10, 2010

Gather. Grok. Create.

Now pick up what you can
and run.
I'm assuming that you're in the United States
You can find the markers in automotive sections at stores like Wal-Mart or possibly around the mailboxes and for sale signs in hardware stores. Auto supply shops like AutoZone, O’Reilly, Advance, Pep Boys, etc. are likely to carry them, too. Again, look in the section wherever signage is sold. Craft supply stores (Michael's, Hobby Lobby, et al.) will carry tempera paint—the same stuff used to paint windows for holiday displays.

Loopyface
Mar 22, 2003
White shoe polish also works pretty well. If you've got time, though, check out a party store. They've got products specifically designed for writing on windshields.

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
Why do english speaking countries call donuts donuts? Yes there is dough, but where does the nuts enter the picture? They should really be called dorings or dobagels.

Fire In The Disco
Oct 4, 2007
I cannot change the gender of my unborn child and shouldn't waste my time or energy pretending he won't exist
At my wedding, my husband's friends filled our car with balloons as well as putting them on the outside and writing on the windows with soap. If you can get your hands on the car keys that's a good natured way of "trashing" the car.

nocturama
Dec 26, 2007

A good boy posted:

Why do english speaking countries call donuts donuts? Yes there is dough, but where does the nuts enter the picture? They should really be called dorings or dobagels.

google image search 'nut' it will all become clear

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

The Aphasian posted:

How do you cite, APA style, a direct quotation or popular quotation

"I would like to recapture that freshness of vision which is characteristic of extreme youth when all the world is new to it."
-Henri Matisse

From here: http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/h/henri_matisse.html

Either cite the website or find a better source for him having said that. Try doing a google books search for the phrase and then just cite it as "quoted in..."

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
What are the white flashes I see in the corner of my eyes when I move my head quickly in the dark?

Orzo
Sep 3, 2004

IT! IT is confusing! Say your goddamn pronouns!

A LOVELY LAD posted:

What are the white flashes I see in the corner of my eyes when I move my head quickly in the dark?
ghosts

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
Postin' here, as this does not deserve a thread:

I want to decompose a piece of music to the underlying instruments, each in its own "channel", to later convert that into a Dubstep beat or perhaps a Hiphop beat.

Is this possible at all, and if yes, where do I start?

the song in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HurHtBAydHQ&feature=autofb

chachu
Jul 4, 2007

cuttin' cat faces in the pines.
My mom has MetroPCS for her phone service. Now, her husband died in July, but his voice is still the greeting on her cell phone voicemail. She has to change her voicemail message, but she really wants to record the one she has (or keep it stored to put back on, later) so she can listen to it later, since it's one of the only recordings of her husband's voice that she has. She talked to the MetroPCS guys, but they were unsure if there was any way to record or save a greeting off of voicemail. Does anyone know a way?

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

chachu posted:

My mom has MetroPCS for her phone service. Now, her husband died in July, but his voice is still the greeting on her cell phone voicemail. She has to change her voicemail message, but she really wants to record the one she has (or keep it stored to put back on, later) so she can listen to it later, since it's one of the only recordings of her husband's voice that she has. She talked to the MetroPCS guys, but they were unsure if there was any way to record or save a greeting off of voicemail. Does anyone know a way?
Call it with Skype and record the call.

Eggplant Wizard
Jul 8, 2005

i loev catte

A good boy posted:

Nut = tight curled up thing. The hole in the middle of many doughnuts is not inherent to their doughnutitude. What makes a doughnut a doughnut is frying a wet, eggy dough.

Rhizoid
May 8, 2003

Takifugu!

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Your peripheral vision has more rods and less cones than vision in the center, so it's better at detecting low light. IF you don't move for a bit, the areas in your peripheral will appear brighter, and then go away when you move your eyes.

Groundskeeper Silly
Sep 1, 2005

My philosophy...
The first rule is:
You look good.

A good boy posted:

Google search 'doughnut etymology' and the real answer will become clear: doughnuts were originally small clumps (more like doughnut holes), so they used to look a lot more like nuts. The shape was changed so a bigger dobagel could be made without having to worry about the center being undercooked.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

chachu posted:

Put the phone on speakerphone, then use a tape recorder/microphone plugged into a computer, etc.

Excavation
May 18, 2004

FEED ME CRAYONS

Tangra posted:

Postin' here, as this does not deserve a thread:

I want to decompose a piece of music to the underlying instruments, each in its own "channel", to later convert that into a Dubstep beat or perhaps a Hiphop beat.

Is this possible at all, and if yes, where do I start?

the song in question: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HurHtBAydHQ&feature=autofb

It's not possible, you've been watching too much CSI.

Tangra
May 1, 2008

Rrrreligion?

It's the catnip of the purrrrrrrrletariat

Mad about your :10bux: ?

:haw:
Dumb chemistry question:

how much energy does it take to split 1 L of H2o into H2 and O ?

Edit: NM, found it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrolysis_of_water#Thermodynamics_of_the_process

Anode (oxidation): 2 H2O(l) → O2(g) + 4 H+(aq) + 4e− Eoox = -1.23 V (Eoox = Energy of oxidation)
Cathode (reduction): 2 H+(aq) + 2e− → H2(g) Eored = 0.00 V (Eored = Energy of reduction)

:science:

Tangra fucked around with this message at 08:48 on Dec 12, 2010

A good boy
Apr 9, 2010

by Ozma
Eggplant and groundkeeper : thanks a lot :)

Internet Cliche
Oct 18, 2004
Ninja Robot Pirate Zombie

melon cat posted:

I'm trying to display whatever's on my laptop onto my HDTV. I've gotten the display to work, but I can't seem to get the audio to play from my TV's speakers. How the heck do I do this? It's been driving me crazy for months!

I dealt with this problem just last night on my desktop. HDMI carries audio, so you're fine as far as connection. What worked for me (Windows 7) was to go to Sounds in Control Panel, then disable every other audio source except your HDMI.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

:burger::burger::burger::burger::burger:
Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Is there a foolproof way to accept payment from someone, specifically someone in another country. I sell a lot of stuff online but mostly thru SA and other forums where the users have a solid reputation but a new guy in a forum wants to buy some sunglasses from me (for $250) and lives in Malaysia. I know paypal can be a joke when it comes to selling stuff and then getting screwed so I wanted to see if any of you guys had any suggestions.

He also found my facebook thru my forum signature and sent me this:

It seems semi suspect but I cant really tell. Looking thru his ebay stuff it looks like he is buying similar stuff.

edit:

He just sent me his paypal email and I searched it and found this facebook:

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Shades4u/148923845154505

His paypal is a "Non US verified Business member(new)" and I found his picassa account, which is tons of photos of Sunglasses: http://picasaweb.google.com/108804082813016780966/Shades4u02

Bojanglesworth fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 12, 2010

aude omnia
Nov 14, 2004

Why is it that sometimes images in Firefox don't load properly? Seems to happen across the internet generally, and usually it looks glitchy, like this:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Elijya
May 11, 2005

Bojanglesworth posted:

This actually sounds fairly legit. I would worry about sending money to someone on the other side of the world and never receiving the item I bought. But if he's sending you the money through paypal... you have the money, so it sounds alright.

Strangelv
Dec 4, 2006

chachu posted:

If you have a voice modem, you could use something like http://www.callcorder.com/

Might be possible to record this if you use google voice too. I mean I know Google Voice lets you record a call.

Bojanglesworth
Oct 20, 2006

Look at all these burgers-running me everyday-
I just need some time-some time to get away from-
from all these burgers I can't take it no more

Elijya posted:

This actually sounds fairly legit. I would worry about sending money to someone on the other side of the world and never receiving the item I bought. But if he's sending you the money through paypal... you have the money, so it sounds alright.

Yeah as far as transactions go it does sound pretty solid. I just worry about paypal. I myself (as a buyer) have disputed some poo poo in the past and they just yank the money out of the sellers account and close their paypal. I would be pretty chapped if that happened to me.

DELETED
Nov 14, 2004
Disgruntled

Elijya posted:

Yeah, just wait to ship the item once you have the money in a form that can't be taken back from you (IE cash)

Elijya
May 11, 2005

DELETED posted:

Yeah, just wait to ship the item once you have the money in a form that can't be taken back from you (IE cash)

That would require emptying out your paypal account into your bank account, and then closing that :confused:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Have a quick question on selling my truck.

The truck's blue book trade in value is 20.5k

I owe 16k on it.

I'm looking to buy something in the range of 13-18k.

How would this work? I plan on just bringing it to a dealership and getting a used car through them. Would they pay off my loan of 16k, and (assuming I get full blue book value) give me 4.5k towards a car through them, so say I find a car that is 12k...not including taxes or anything else taken into account, the car would be 12k-4.5k the dealership is giving me, so I would have to get a new car loan worth 7.5k?

Is that correct or am I missing something?

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

PLEASE ADD ME TO YOUR IGNORE LIST.

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

melon cat posted:

I'm trying to display whatever's on my laptop onto my HDTV. I've gotten the display to work, but I can't seem to get the audio to play from my TV's speakers. How the heck do I do this? It's been driving me crazy for months!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2389301

Video Quick Questions Thread hth

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

:siren:EVERYTHING I SAY ABOUT JAPAN OR LIVING IN JAPAN IS COMPLETELY WRONG, BUT YOU BETTER BELIEVE I'LL :spergin: ABOUT IT.:siren:

IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A JAPAN THREAD, PLEASE PM A MODERATOR SO THAT I CAN BE BANNED.

MyStereoHasMono posted:

Anyone have any idea if deaf people can 'detect' how many syllables are in a word?

I guess this thread isn't the best fit for this question but I couldn't find any active 'Ask me about being deaf' threads and I didn't want to make one solely for this.

Linguistics Quick questions thread:
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2693946

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Orzo posted:

Sorry if it was a little too snarky, but it seems ridiculous to ask here if it can be found with the first search string that would pop into anyone's mind.

I didn't include a link because I saw on the third result some text in a youtube comment which referenced the name of the series; I never actually clicked on the link. I provided the name of the series, I suppose I could have posted the wikipedia page or something but that's not really what he asked for.

It's funny how searches work. The search string you entered is not the one the entered because everyone uses google first. But SO do a bunch of people who have learned how to game google into guiding traffic to their unrelated sites where they monetize visits.

There was a time when reading past the first page of search results made sense. But that time is long gone since google ad sense was invented and people learned to make money by gaming google to their blogs.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

BlueBayou posted:

When I click on a pdf in safari, it opens in the window. Easy to read. No fuss, no muss.

But recently Ive switched to chrome (safari keeps crashing...), and chrome opens in pdfs in google docs, which loving blows. Is there something I can download that will allow me to open pdfs in the window in chrome.

If you are on a Mac (it seems like you are):

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2682424

Mac Software megathread.

kapalama
Aug 15, 2007

Bojanglesworth posted:

lives in Malaysia. I know paypal can be a joke when it comes to selling stuff and then getting screwed so I wanted to see if any of you guys had any suggestions.

I know the hive mind of SA says paypal sux, but is it really such a problem dealing with them?

All my ebay stuff (and other forum stuff) has been absolutely painless, and I only use paypal.

XyloJW
Jul 23, 2007
I'm looking to sell my textbooks from last semester. But all the buyback sites are offering/suggesting less than $10 for $100-$200 books. I think this is because the semester just ended, and everyone is offloading their books. If I wait till January to sell them, does anyone know if the price will be better? Or, as a friend suggested, is the price going to stay at $5 to sell, and by waiting, I also run the risk of a new edition making this edition worthless?

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?

XyloJW posted:

I'm looking to sell my textbooks from last semester. But all the buyback sites are offering/suggesting less than $10 for $100-$200 books. I think this is because the semester just ended, and everyone is offloading their books. If I wait till January to sell them, does anyone know if the price will be better? Or, as a friend suggested, is the price going to stay at $5 to sell, and by waiting, I also run the risk of a new edition making this edition worthless?

From 6 years of college, this is pretty much my experience. I rarely sold books online since the bookstores bought them back for equivalent prices. If you want better money, see if there's a site for your college that lets you find people taking the class next semester. That way, you can sell the book to them for more than you could get at the bookstore, and it's still cheaper for them than buying from the store.

Elijya
May 11, 2005

kapalama posted:

I know the hive mind of SA says paypal sux, but is it really such a problem dealing with them?

All my ebay stuff (and other forum stuff) has been absolutely painless, and I only use paypal.

I'm the same, I've never had a problem. But I think we've both just been lucky enough to never encounter a major problem. I think people who have, and has paypal/eBay just throw up their arms and say "We can't help" to them get really pissed because it usually means they're out $50-60 or more.

Elijya fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Dec 12, 2010

Medical Sword
May 23, 2005

Goghing, Goghing, gone

kapalama posted:

It's not a "SA hive mind" thing, you can find stories all over the internet of people having their accounts frozen with no reason and other such garbage. It's not hard to understand or believe, since eBay essentially vaulted them into a monopoly over the whole "secure online transaction" market, although Google Checkout is here now too, which is great.

I use paypal a lot too and have never had a problem, but that's purely out of convenience. When you're talking about a service like Paypal that deals with immense volumes of money daily, even a very small percentage of problems and errors can be unacceptably high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hooah
Feb 6, 2006
WTF?
Is there an faster way to send PSN friend requests than on my PS3? Perhaps through something that already has a keyboard (my computer)?