Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

And you thought they were cute and cuddly.

So I took that '03 Forester out for a test drive. It's in pretty good shape, I didn't notice any rust in the wells, some surface rust on the tie rods however nothing bad, engine compartment wasn't spewing oil, no oil under the car, clutch was good, no coolant issues. It will definitely need a new timing belt fairly soon.

BUT

It definitely has a tick/knock coming from the engine compartment. I can't narrow it down and it didn't go away after the car warmed up. I don't think it's piston slap. It was most prominent at idle and up until 2K RPM or 3rd+ gear. Could a slipping timing belt or pulleys on the way out make that noise? It sounded like it was coming from that general area or the A/C compressor.

Edit: The owner is a little old lady and she flat out told me about it and how her mechanic couldn't figure it out. I'm planing on bringing the car by my mechanic later and hoping they can shed some light and give me the go/no go on the car.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Dec 10, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Timing belt tensioner can give a tap tap sound if it's on it's way out.

I would just be wary that the main bearings are on the way out.

On another note, my '11 got its first battle scar on the way in from work today. Rock slammed my windshield on the driver's side and put a pretty good chip in it. They are coming out this afternoon to repair it, hopefully they can diminish it as much as possible.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

bull3964 posted:

Timing belt tensioner can give a tap tap sound if it's on it's way out.

I would just be wary that the main bearings are on the way out.

Yeah I have a feeling it has something to do with the timing belt system. The sound reminded me alot of my old Saab 9000 with 190k on it's original timing chain. Ah nothing like the sound of an impending explosion.

If it wasn't for that stupid sound, I'd be all over this car. 1 owner who is a little old lady and babied it over the past 7 years and has all the records is a homerun in my book.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

You could do the screwdriver stethoscope trick and see if the noise is coming from the top center part of the engine near the front. If it is, thats the belt tensioner.

Bud Manstrong
Dec 11, 2003

The Curse of the Flying Criosphinx

Splinter posted:

Thanks, that's good to know. If I'm going to have an OEM clutch/flywheel put in, is there any reason not to go with an '07+ kit (single mass FW rather than DM) instead of an '05/6? Here has 07+ kits for ~$300 and $530 with flywheel (vs $800 for an 05/6 kit w/ flywheel). Anyone know of any similar sites that are located closer to northern California?
I've got that single-mass kit in my '05 LGT - I bought it from Fred Beans - and there's no reason not to go with it. Jeremy at Fred Beans is great to deal with; I've bought tons of stuff from them. There will be a difference going to a slightly lighter flywheel, but you won't even notice it after a day or two.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

It definitely has a tick/knock coming from the engine compartment.

Sure hope it's not rod knock. That's about how I would have described my motor about 4 months ago. But it wasn't a belt tensioner...

So now this:

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

Goes in this:

Click here for the full 1024x766 image.

And in case anyone cares: Apparently the clutch in my car was replaced at some point in time before I got it (not a big surprise, 100k on the car right now). When they replaced the flywheel, rather than using an OEM 03 wrx flywheel, they used a dual mass flywheel out of either a legacy or a forester. And while it looked to be in reasonable condition since they either can't be turned or aren't recommended to be turned it's not going to be reused. ACT Streetlite clutch going in instead.

Further info for those that want to know: That is Bob Log's old motor. Built STI Short block with wiseco pistons, nitride coated crank, hta68 turbo and 2.0l heads (which have been cnc'd out to be an exact match with the ej257 combustion chamber).

Amandyke fucked around with this message at 20:09 on Dec 10, 2010

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Welp, she ended up selling to another person so the whole knock thing is a moot point. :v:

Tremblay
Oct 8, 2002
More dog whistles than a Petco

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all, I've had my Suby for about 6 months now and I love it. It's a 2010 Impreza standard.

One thing I've been thinking about doing is giving it a bit of a better exhaust system. I love the engine note and hate the real pissant pipes sticking out of the huge-rear end silver muffler.

You can sorta see what I mean here:

Now I dont want fart cans or anything that rattles windows. I'm not considering this for performance or anything like that. I'm only considering it because the tiny pipes outta the huge cans looks pretty awful and because more of that nice throaty rumble would make me happy.

Is there a moderate exhaust upgrade that anybody could recommend? Or will this kill the car\totally not be worthwhile?

[Edit: Fixing massive picture, apologies]
[Edit: Fixed]

It most likely isn't worth it from a performance perspective but if it makes you happy who cares. Honestly not sure about the non-turbo cars, never looked into aftermarket for them.

nm
Jan 28, 2008

"I saw Minos the Space Judge holding a golden sceptre and passing sentence upon the Martians. There he presided, and around him the noble Space Prosecutors sought the firm justice of space law."

Tremblay posted:

It most likely isn't worth it from a performance perspective but if it makes you happy who cares. Honestly not sure about the non-turbo cars, never looked into aftermarket for them.
The answer is really just to replace the tips.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?
:siren:UPDATE:siren:

EQTuning posted:

(1:41:41 PM) the motor is in the car

:woop:

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Nice, I got my H6 into my 2.5rs last week, and am waiting for some mandrel bent tubing. I'm going to fab an exhaust and then work on the wiring. I also have to find an h6 power steering pump and reservoir.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

dyne posted:

Nice, I got my H6 into my 2.5rs last week, and am waiting for some mandrel bent tubing. I'm going to fab an exhaust and then work on the wiring. I also have to find an h6 power steering pump and reservoir.
Nice! Any pictures so far?

Slow is Fast
Dec 25, 2006

I think I blew up the used transmission I swapped into my 02 RS in September. Got some axle binding turning in a parking lot, now it's making a hellish sound whenever I'm rolling. I'm sick of loving transmission issues.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.

Hammer Floyd posted:

Hey all, I've had my Suby for about 6 months now and I love it. It's a 2010 Impreza standard.

One thing I've been thinking about doing is giving it a bit of a better exhaust system. I love the engine note and hate the real pissant pipes sticking out of the huge-rear end silver muffler.

You can sorta see what I mean here:

Now I dont want fart cans or anything that rattles windows. I'm not considering this for performance or anything like that. I'm only considering it because the tiny pipes outta the huge cans looks pretty awful and because more of that nice throaty rumble would make me happy.

Is there a moderate exhaust upgrade that anybody could recommend? Or will this kill the car\totally not be worthwhile?

[Edit: Fixing massive picture, apologies]
[Edit: Fixed]

I bet you could find someone who replaced the stock exhaust on their WRX sedan and is selling their stock one - that'd be a nice upgrade. The stock WRX sounds a lot deeper and growlier than I had expected.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

Slow is Fast posted:

I think I blew up the used transmission I swapped into my 02 RS in September. Got some axle binding turning in a parking lot, now it's making a hellish sound whenever I'm rolling. I'm sick of loving transmission issues.
Subaru/Flannel chat: I'm sick of loving transmission issues.

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I bet you could find someone who replaced the stock exhaust on their WRX sedan and is selling their stock one - that'd be a nice upgrade. The stock WRX sounds a lot deeper and growlier than I had expected.

Good call. It should be even louder on an N/A. I was surprised the first time I heard SPT exhaust on an RS because it was significantly louder than on a WRX.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I'm not sure how to describe this, but occasionally my WRX kind of darts to one side or the other. It's not a consistent pulling, it's not speed dependent, it's not consistently one direction, and it happens during braking and without braking.

I'll be driving in a straight line and it's just like it decides to try to go sharply to the left or right for a second, and then it's fine.

It almost seems like bump steer, but I don't think it always happens on rough roads. Bad end links? Other random suspension bushing perhaps?

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I'm not sure how to describe this, but occasionally my WRX kind of darts to one side or the other. It's not a consistent pulling, it's not speed dependent, it's not consistently one direction, and it happens during braking and without braking.

I'll be driving in a straight line and it's just like it decides to try to go sharply to the left or right for a second, and then it's fine.

It almost seems like bump steer, but I don't think it always happens on rough roads. Bad end links? Other random suspension bushing perhaps?
My car likes to follow cracks in the road; it's probably an artifact of the low profile tires and the faster steering ratio. I think this might be what you're feeling.

I also have a caster issue, though, so my steering is probably not ideal.

syphon
Jan 1, 2001

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the SPT Exhaust option? My 2010 with the stock exhaust sounded like absolute poo poo (there was NO exhaust note, all you could hear was engine). When I replaced it with the SPT exhaust, it sounded a million times better.

EDIT: I uploaded this video when I swapped out the exhaust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbGLGtml-g - In that video, the stock exhaust doesn't sound bad, but you can't even hear it from inside the car. I wish I'd included a comparison from inside the car. I can't stress enough how much I hated the stock exhaust!

syphon fucked around with this message at 21:43 on Dec 11, 2010

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DEUCE SLUICE posted:

I would get your alignment checked. I know my car tramlined like mad when it had anything other than zero toe.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

bull3964 posted:

I would get your alignment checked. I know my car tramlined like mad when it had anything other than zero toe.

I just had it aligned a few months ago, but I had them do it to factory specs.

syphon posted:

Are you sure you're not thinking of the SPT Exhaust option? My 2010 with the stock exhaust sounded like absolute poo poo (there was NO exhaust note, all you could hear was engine). When I replaced it with the SPT exhaust, it sounded a million times better.

EDIT: I uploaded this video when I swapped out the exhaust - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbGLGtml-g - In that video, the stock exhaust doesn't sound bad, but you can't even hear it from inside the car. I wish I'd included a comparison from inside the car. I can't stress enough how much I hated the stock exhaust!

Might have been. It looked pretty stock but it definitely had some grunt to it.

DAT RAM
Dec 28, 2003

Laissez les bons temps rouler

bull3964 posted:

Don't delay replacing it. There have been reported cases of the bearing failing altogether, causing the belt to jump and eat into the plastic timing belt cover.

I replaced today. Pretty drat simple thank god.

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

This isn't the normal train of thought at NASIOC is it?

EvilBlackRailgun
Jan 28, 2007

JayKay posted:

This isn't the normal train of thought at NASIOC is it?

It's threads like these that make me miss owning a '94 RX-7. It wasn't the fastest car I've owned, but man the forums and people were for the most part pretty awesome.

Most all Subaru/STI forums I go to are full of kids with roof racks covered in stickers, and a lot of internet bitching. At least a lot of the people I meet in person are seemingly well adjusted human beings.

EDIT: On second note it does look like he only joined in November. Maybe not a good representation of NASIOC.

EvilBlackRailgun fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Dec 11, 2010

nutnmunch
Sep 19, 2007
get out.
Car forums, ahoy!

I belong to a few communities and I'd never dare venture out of the technical forums.

oRenj9
Aug 3, 2004

Who loves oRenj soda?!?
College Slice

VolumeBroadcast posted:

and a lot of internet bitching.

This is basically all NASIOC is. If you venture into the "Funny things you've heard about your Subaru" thread, you'll see people bitching about/making fun of the most pedantic things.

:raise: Why does your car make a funny sound when you shift?
:smugbert: WHAT?!? You've never heard of a blow off valve before? Don't you know poo poo about cars?
:smugbert: She probably doesn't even know what wheels are. I made the bitch walk home.
:smugbert::hf::iamafag:

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Yeah, I figured that guy seems to be the exception there. It still blows my mind though.

What makes me laugh about that entire thread is that instead of going "I followed the guy till police could stop him" he goes on a dickwaving mission about "HOT PURSUIT AT 110 MPH " and then tries to justify driving 110 just because he's 35 and has a fast car.

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

JayKay posted:

Yeah, I figured that guy seems to be the exception there. It still blows my mind though.

What makes me laugh about that entire thread is that instead of going "I followed the guy till police could stop him" he goes on a dickwaving mission about "HOT PURSUIT AT 110 MPH " and then tries to justify driving 110 just because he's 35 and has a fast car.

And as it turns out the guy doesn't have insurance anyway. So If he had chased him down or not, he's in exactly the same situation in terms of his uninsured motorist coverage having to pay out for the damage. The only benefit is that they know who the guy is now and his insurance can sue him for the damages.

DrChu
May 14, 2002

A week ago I got a 2010 WRX and besides trying to adapt to the clutch that is a lot less forgiving than the one in my Mazda 3, its been great. One thing that bothers me though is the loudness of the HVAC system. I don't think its the blower fan, because the noise starts from the lowest fan setting and seems to stay pretty constant through all settings. The noise itself is kind of a high pitched whining, like a computer fan, and its loud enough you can hear it over talk radio at highway speeds, but music will cover it up. Has anyone else with a newer Impreza experienced this?

Amandyke
Nov 27, 2004

A wha?

DrChu posted:

A week ago I got a 2010 WRX and besides trying to adapt to the clutch that is a lot less forgiving than the one in my Mazda 3, its been great. One thing that bothers me though is the loudness of the HVAC system. I don't think its the blower fan, because the noise starts from the lowest fan setting and seems to stay pretty constant through all settings. The noise itself is kind of a high pitched whining, like a computer fan, and its loud enough you can hear it over talk radio at highway speeds, but music will cover it up. Has anyone else with a newer Impreza experienced this?

Have you brought it into the dealer to have them check it out?

DrChu
May 14, 2002

Amandyke posted:

Have you brought it into the dealer to have them check it out?
Not yet, was gonna wait until I brought it in for an oil change. In the meantime I was just wondering if this was expected behavior or not.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Can you please post pictures already? :argh:

Also did you buy tires for it yet?

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Mission is still to find a cheap and reliable beater in the DC/NoVA region. Budget is still 8000-10000ish

NASIOC 2002 PSM Subaru WRX 96k, $7000, 2 owner, looks like seller is young and might have beat it up a bit.

NASIOC 2005 Subaru Impreza 2.5RS 66k, $8500, looks pretty decent but it's an auto and I would prefer a stick. However it looks immaculate and is a 1 owner.

2005 Saab 9-2X Saabaru 101k, $4900, however it appears to be hail damaged despite what Autocheck says. I figure the money saved on it can go towards whatever is wrong.

1999 Subaru Forester L 74k, 5 spd, $5,384 I keep going back to this car as I A) Love Foresters and B)This is more fitting of a cheap reliable beater.

I'm leaning towards the Forester and the 05 Impreza. The 02 WRX looks pretty rough and the Saabaru feels like a big gamble. Between the Forester and Impreza, I'm leaning towards the Forester due to price and the fact I'd have an extra $3k if I wanted to go overboard with it.

JayKay fucked around with this message at 14:08 on Dec 14, 2010

TurboLuvah
Jul 24, 2004

Scientifically proven to be more fuel efficient than hybrids!
Ooooo if that Saabaru were closer I would have bought it already

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

JayKay posted:

2005 Saab 9-2X Saabaru 101k, $4900, however it appears to be hail damaged despite what Autocheck says. I figure the money saved on it can go towards whatever is wrong.
You probably know this already, but here goes. This is actually a 9-2X Aero, not a regular 9-2X; the Aero is basically the WRX version of the 9-2X (hence the hoodscoop).

The thing with the Saabarus is that in some cases (Subaru dealers, previous owners) they are valued pretty much the same as Subarus and in other cases (moron dealerships, insurance companies) they are valued the same as a contemporary Saab.

I'd go with that 9-2X; that thing is sweet, assuming it works. Who cares if it's dented? That just means more winter autox and rallyx for you. The wheels are really curbed, though, and it has Rally Armour mudflaps (or some other kind of urethane aftermarket mudflap) which may indicate that someone else already took this rallycrossing..

Seat Safety Switch fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Dec 14, 2010

Defghanistan
Feb 9, 2010

2base2furious
I have a 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0 6 cylinder LL Bean edition. I love my car and use it to haul my buddies and I up to the mountains to ride bikes and snowboard.

I also like to throw my big lab in the back of the hatch and bring him on adventures. Problem is, while standing on the rubber mat, his weight slides it back towards the hatch, and it rolls up against the hatch and deforms. Looking at the underside of this mat, there is NO traction whatsoever.

So, I got a ton of thumbtacks and some glue. I spent a long time supergluing thumbtacks to the bottom of the mat. This worked for a while, but they just started breaking free of the glue.

Subagoons: how the gently caress do I keep that goddamn rubber mat from sliding all over the loving place goddamn you Subaru why didn't you think of this?

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...

Amandyke posted:

Except that it's easier to spin a shorter axle, so that wheel will always spin free in an open diff when there is a limited traction situation with both wheels on that axle. But way to bring in irrelevant information there. VDC is a replacement for LSD's when the car manufacturer wants to cheap out and achieve a similar result.

Except everything has equal length driveshafts. My 22 year old AWD Mazda does, Subaru does by virtue of drivetrain design. Evos have for a billions years, Audis get by on the same longitudinal rule. I suppose 1G DSMs and therefore Evo 1-3 and MK1 Galant VR4 might have not, but they didn't really have torque steer with rear bias anyway.

Sterndotstern
Nov 16, 2002

by Y Kant Ozma Post
Where do you Subaru guys look up and order random "little parts" like clips and door handles and such, I'm not finding them on the common sites ? Is there an equivalent to the BMW realoem.com site I can use to look up part numbers?

Edit: specifically looking for the clips that hold the seat trim to the seats in an 05 LGT, the clips that hold the engine cover onto the engine, and a new drivers door pull and the clips that hold the inner door cover in place for when I inevitably break some removing the door. I want to fix my sticky window switch.

Sterndotstern fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Dec 14, 2010

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Defghanistan posted:

I have a 2004 Subaru Outback 3.0 6 cylinder LL Bean edition. I love my car and use it to haul my buddies and I up to the mountains to ride bikes and snowboard.

I also like to throw my big lab in the back of the hatch and bring him on adventures. Problem is, while standing on the rubber mat, his weight slides it back towards the hatch, and it rolls up against the hatch and deforms. Looking at the underside of this mat, there is NO traction whatsoever.

So, I got a ton of thumbtacks and some glue. I spent a long time supergluing thumbtacks to the bottom of the mat. This worked for a while, but they just started breaking free of the glue.

Subagoons: how the gently caress do I keep that goddamn rubber mat from sliding all over the loving place goddamn you Subaru why didn't you think of this?

When I bought my rubber mat it had this smaller semi sticky mat that came with it. You put that underneath the rubber mat and it stops it from moving. To me it reminded me of what you put under rugs on hard wood floors to stop the rug from sliding. So that might work for you.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

Sterndotstern posted:

Where do you Subaru guys look up and order random "little parts" like clips and door handles and such, I'm not finding them on the common sites ? Is there an equivalent to the BMW realoem.com site I can use to look up part numbers?

Edit: specifically looking for the clips that hold the seat trim to the seats in an 05 LGT, the clips that hold the engine cover onto the engine, and a new drivers door pull and the clips that hold the inner door cover in place for when I inevitably break some removing the door. I want to fix my sticky window switch.

You should be able to find drat near just about everything here.

https://www.subarugenuineparts.com/oe_parts_cat.html

It just might take some searching to figure out the right category or keywords.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JayKay
Sep 11, 2001

Seat Safety Switch posted:

You probably know this already, but here goes. This is actually a 9-2X Aero, not a regular 9-2X; the Aero is basically the WRX version of the 9-2X (hence the hoodscoop).

The thing with the Saabarus is that in some cases (Subaru dealers, previous owners) they are valued pretty much the same as Subarus and in other cases (moron dealerships, insurance companies) they are valued the same as a contemporary Saab.

I'd go with that 9-2X; that thing is sweet, assuming it works. Who cares if it's dented? That just means more winter autox and rallyx for you. The wheels are really curbed, though, and it has Rally Armour mudflaps (or some other kind of urethane aftermarket mudflap) which may indicate that someone else already took this rallycrossing..

Just spoke to the Saabaru seller. He stated that it had the obvious hail damage but mechanically it's fine. I'm a little hesitant with it being an auction house, but at $4900, I think I can take the risk since it leaves a large chunk of cash available for anything that needs to be fixed. Ended up putting a refundable deposit down on it and I'm going to be checking it out tomorrow.

Edit: And yeah I just checked out the insurance...quite a bit more than my Jeep which is the same year :v:

JayKay fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Dec 14, 2010