Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Raven457 posted:

I can't wait to see it all assembled, and also, make sure you have someone taking pics of people's reactions when you take it to the track.

Tonight! I can't promise good pictures, but I will definitely at least rig everything up to fit ish tonight.

Jabs posted:

Really?

Get outta town! :)

As I was working on it yesterday, I kept thinking about the different races I've watched over the years, and the one thing that got stuck in my mind is that people-not-in-the-know will pick out someone to root for by the paintjob on whatever is racing.

People might show up to a Rocky Mountain Vintage Racers event because they know someone who races an old big-block Corvette in one division, but not know poo poo about anything else - and will pick out the 'cool' car to root for in, say, the Formula VW race.

So, after I posted, it struck me that Gulf Blue and Pink is definitely a 'cool' take on a classic paintscheme. Won't help you catch any podiums, but it'll definitely get you noticed. =)

drat if those colors don't have me thinkin' now. gently caress.

Hey maybe if the paint is loud enough, they won't notice i'm DFL!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I apologize for the lovely quality of the photos but it gets the idea across. I'll get some better ones when the bike is actually rolling.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
gently caress that's awesome.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
This is mind-blowingly cool on numerous levels. Ever thought about doing the rims in orange to match?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Good Ship Theseus posted:

This is mind-blowingly cool on numerous levels. Ever thought about doing the rims in orange to match?

I'm considering it. Honestly, the bike has a nice contrast as it stands, with the blue and orange on top and the black on the bottom.

This was my morning:

And now it's time to work on the bikes a bit more :)

Primo Itch
Nov 4, 2006
I confessed a horrible secret for this account!
Got any stickers left z3n ? I'll paypal you the 98c of the letter stamp :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Primo Itch posted:

Got any stickers left z3n ? I'll paypal you the 98c of the letter stamp :)

Already got a set out to you, don't worry about the stamp. :)

Also, the DRZ has a blown headgasket. So it's getting parted :(

Oh and I have loads more stickers if people want them.

Z3n fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 5, 2010

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

*patiently awaits a price list on the stuff I ticked boxes for in the For Sale thread, to see what I can afford...*

FuzzyWuzzyBear
Sep 8, 2003

Z3n posted:

Already got a set out to you, don't worry about the stamp. :)

Oh and I have loads more stickers if people want them.

What would cause the blown headgasket, and what were the symptoms? Everybody seems to have a big circlejerk over how reliable DRZs are.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

It'll be a sad day when you have no more supermoto :(

My KTM head gasket has no issues, FYI

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

FuzzyWuzzyBear posted:

What would cause the blown headgasket, and what were the symptoms? Everybody seems to have a big circlejerk over how reliable DRZs are.

Its the big bore kit. They use an iron sleeve rather than an aluminum one, and that can lead to headgasket leaks. It's not a problem on a quality bore kit or the stock cylinder.

Today I'm going to start breaking down the drz and maybe I'll finish up the gsxr.

Also, thanks to everyone who came up yesterday to go riding and hang out. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Well, my shoulder wasn't doing so hot today after being injured lifting, so I didn't do much, but I did redrill the fuel pump on the GSX-R, installed it, and fired up the bike for the first time. It ran nicely, reved cleanly, and I installed the chain. Just need to fit lines/reservoirs and bleed the brakes and it'll be good to go. I also need to go through and check the torque on just about every bolt on it.

Going to start on the DRZ part out sometime this week. Not really in any rush on it.

I'll have brake pads and a clutch for the 250 this Wednesday. Gotta love a bike where the pads and clutch cost a grand total of 76$. At the moment, I'm into that bike for a grand total of about 400$. :smug:

Kenny Rogers
Sep 7, 2007

Chapter One:
When I first saw Sparky, he reminded me of my favorite comb. He was missing a lot of teeth.

Z3n posted:

I apologize for the lovely quality of the photos but it gets the idea across. I'll get some better ones when the bike is actually rolling.
B Bike Colors, cuz it's Monday and we've got fires we're putting out at work of the Hurry Up And Wait sort...

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Jabs posted:

B Bike Colors, cuz it's Monday and we've got fires we're putting out at work of the Hurry Up And Wait sort...

We'll have to see how the B bike works out period, but those colors are definitely in the running.

Slightly better picture of it as it sits.

Going to take it out on a test run this weekend! :woop:

TEASE MY NECKBEARD
Jan 13, 2009
That came together really nicely! Even though it has no headlight, blinkers, plate or mirrors, I would have so much trouble resisting riding it around the neighborhood.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

TEASE MY NECKBEARD posted:

That came together really nicely! Even though it has no headlight, blinkers, plate or mirrors, I would have so much trouble resisting riding it around the neighborhood.

Yeah. :( Sadly it'll probably be at least 2 months before it sees a track. Oh well, gives me time to make sure everything's ok.

Parts for the 250 should be here tomorrow.

FlerpNerpin
Apr 17, 2006

I received some of these SO CALLED stickers in the mail.

Worst temporary tattoos ever.

Don't even work.

MrZig
Aug 13, 2005
I exist onl because of Parias'
LEGENDARY GENEROSITY.
Z3n, do you use an o/x-ring chain or a race chain without the seals?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Spiffness posted:

I received some of these SO CALLED stickers in the mail.

Worst temporary tattoos ever.

Don't even work.

Did you lick it before you applied it? Demand a refund!

MrZig posted:

Z3n, do you use an o/x-ring chain or a race chain without the seals?

I use an X-ring RK chain. I'm not concerned about the tiny loss in efficiency from running a chain with orings. Club racing, it's just not that important.

sirbeefalot
Aug 24, 2004
Fast Learner.
Fun Shoe

Z3n posted:

Did you lick it before you applied it? Demand a refund!

I tried licking one, now the SV is all sorts of colors... :lsd:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

sirbeefalot posted:

I tried licking one, now the SV is all sorts of colors... :lsd:

Hrm I'll have to give that shot.

Well, I got dog sick over the last few days but managed to eventually stumble down to the garage and get the brakes done on the GSX-R, and ride it around the block (after a quick mishap with the kickstand sensor...).

I'd forgotten how stupid fast even 600s are. And the R55 full exhaust seems to have been designed to be as loud as possible.

Thankfully, all of my neighbors are cool people and I just got smiles and waves as I piloted the bike out of the parking lot for the first time. :3:

Gonna drag it out and test it properly this weekend. Also may end up just doing the buttonwillow race at the start of this season to keep my racing license. Between the expenses of the upcoming year, and my desire to get some decent track time in, I think it's best if I continue to pay off debt for another year before I try and get back into serious racing. But who knows what will happen, all I know is I'm not counting on anything but paying off debt for the next year.

I did some quick budgeting with the help of the wife and discovered that I'd burn approximately 800$ a race weekend just on tires, entry fees, and gasoline. So figure around 6500$ for a race season, 10k after you consider consumables and the potential for crashing. So the objective is to part out the DRZ, sell the remaining ZX9 parts, use the money to buy a B bike to insulate against a season ending crash due to bike damage, get some quality track time in, and hopefully go all out in 2012. :)

Z3n fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Dec 10, 2010

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
Z3n, you make me want a job and a garage.

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.

Z3n posted:

I did some quick budgeting with the help of the wife and discovered that I'd burn approximately 800$ a race weekend just on tires, entry fees, and gasoline. So figure around 6500$ for a race season, 10k after you consider consumables and the potential for crashing.

Clearly the answer is to buy a dirtbike and go race that! Cheaper tires, cheaper entry fees, bikes are pretty reasonable, CA probably has 56498894564 tracks within 20 minutes of your doorstep plus all other fun offroad areas...

Open your eyes and SEE THE LIGHT

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Clearly the answer is to buy a dirtbike and go race that! Cheaper tires, cheaper entry fees, bikes are pretty reasonable, CA probably has 56498894564 tracks within 20 minutes of your doorstep plus all other fun offroad areas...

Open your eyes and SEE THE LIGHT

I have seen things you dirtbikers wouldn't believe. 600s firing up the back straight of Sears Point. I've heard Ducatis rattle in the dark near the pit lane. All of these moments would be lost offroad. Like fuel in dirt. Time to ride.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

I have seen things you dirtbikers wouldn't believe. 600s firing up the back straight of Sears Point. I've heard Ducatis rattle in the dark near the pit lane. All of these moments would be lost offroad. Like fuel in dirt. Time to ride.

I love Blade Runner. :woop:

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Z3n posted:

Time to ride.

:hellyeah:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXpmfSDCq6w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rUPalEBYWCA

And yours truly:

Thanks to TarzansPuma for picking me up, shooting video, and driving an hour and a half so I could ride for 3 minutes. :v:

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.
Oh hell yes. Looks and sounds great. Got my stickers, one of them is going on the bike as soon as I repaint the frame this winter.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love how GSXRs make that pop when you come off the throttle fast.

Good Ship Theseus
Sep 12, 2010

Immortality through endless server backups? Sign me up!
Looks fantastic! I'm very jealous. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

KARMA! posted:

Z3n, you make me want a job and a garage.

Well, hopefully both of these things are available in your area! :v:

Seriously, I refuse to go without a garage anymore. Yeah, it can be a bit of a pain in the rear end to find a place with an attached garage down here, but it's absolutely worth it. I swapped the clutch on the 250 tonight (i'll take pics of the clutch tomorrow, the frictions were black), and it took me a total of about 35 minutes, 90% of that was scraping the old gasket off the cases and the engine cover. If I still had my storage spot downtown, it would have been over twice that thanks to travel distance. And thankfully all of our neighbors are really cool so I've never had a problem with them. It's great.

Tindjin posted:

Oh hell yes. Looks and sounds great. Got my stickers, one of them is going on the bike as soon as I repaint the frame this winter.

Awesome! Which bike is getting the frame repainted?

BlackMK4 posted:

I love how GSXRs make that pop when you come off the throttle fast.

Any bike will do that, it's just the free flowing exhaust that lets you hear it. I didn't rev it that high in either of those videos, maybe up to 13 or 14k, (redline is 16.5k).

Good Ship Theseus posted:

Looks fantastic! I'm very jealous. :)

Doesn't look too bad for a $3000 bike, right? :)

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Maybe it's the fact that tonight's forecast is this:

National Weather Service posted:

Overnight: Snow likely and widespread blowing snow before 3am, then widespread blowing snow and a chance of snow after 3am. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 2. Wind chill values as low as -20. Very windy, with a north northwest wind between 32 and 37 mph, with gusts as high as 55 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. Total nighttime snow accumulation of 3 to 5 inches possible.

But the ONLY thing I see when I look at that picture is this

Z3n, you smug rear end in a top hat. Your trackbike is awesome. Your weather is awesomeerist.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

needknees posted:

Maybe it's the fact that tonight's forecast is this:

But the ONLY thing I see when I look at that picture is this

Z3n, you smug rear end in a top hat. Your trackbike is awesome. Your weather is awesomeerist.

I've told you like a thousand times you need to give up on the place of 55mph winds and move to CA. It's like 65 and sunny right now.

Tindjin
Aug 4, 2006

Do not seek death.
Death will find you.
But seek the road
which makes death a fulfillment.

Z3n posted:

Awesome! Which bike is getting the frame repainted?

This one is getting torn down finally and a complete rebuild/paint. 1982 Suzuiki GS 850 GL. It's the GL model but I've changed the handle bars and seat to be more comfy and look just a tiny bit cafe'ish. The paint job is a 10ft'r, any closer and the scratches, dents and rust comes out. Going to change the frame to a dark red with the tins being a mix of dark blue with the frame color for highlight/striping or atleast that's the idea currently. As soon as I start taking it apart I'm going to start a build thread.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Tindjin posted:

This one is getting torn down finally and a complete rebuild/paint. 1982 Suzuiki GS 850 GL. It's the GL model but I've changed the handle bars and seat to be more comfy and look just a tiny bit cafe'ish. The paint job is a 10ft'r, any closer and the scratches, dents and rust comes out. Going to change the frame to a dark red with the tins being a mix of dark blue with the frame color for highlight/striping or atleast that's the idea currently. As soon as I start taking it apart I'm going to start a build thread.

Awesome! Looking forward to seeing that :)

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Any bike will do that, it's just the free flowing exhaust that lets you hear it. I didn't rev it that high in either of those videos, maybe up to 13 or 14k, (redline is 16.5k).
Yeah, mine does it too but when I am at trackdays and I hear the really, really loud pops it's always a gsxr :v:

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face
No one is allowed to come in this thread and suggest that Conan race something other than supersports. It's what he really likes and I spent years trying to have him consider cheaper options but he just likes road racing.

I will kill you if you cross me :colbert:

I'm actually very nice and loving I promise :ohdear:

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
Don't worry, I'm trying to get him to race dirtbikes in addition to road racing!!! Totally different!

Trackdays on the big bike, race days on the dirtbike. Best of both worlds!

Bunway Airlines
Jan 12, 2008

Raptor Face

needknees posted:

Don't worry, I'm trying to get him to race dirtbikes in addition to road racing!!! Totally different!

Trackdays on the big bike, race days on the dirtbike. Best of both worlds!

Likely story :colbert:

The thing that's really sad is that we make very good money for a couple our age, but since we live in Santa Barbara, it seems to go down the tube more quickly than it would in say, Iowa. I went to Planned Parenthood recently because my health insurance had not kicked in yet. When I told the lady how much our combined monthly income was before taxes, she looked at me like I was insane and asked why I didn't have health insurance. I love Planned Parenthood so much but why is everyone there bitchy all the time? :(

needknees
Apr 4, 2006

Oh. My.
That's the price you pay for perfect weather year round :smug:.

Come to the land of low cost of living and deal with poo poo snow, ice, bitter cold, and hilarious winds! I hate our weather :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

I thought about riding to work instead of riding a bus today. But then I thought the likely hood of crashing to death, freezing to death or crashing first then freezing to death was too high. Then I thought about riding a Gulf livery bike in the sunshine and the hatred warmed my heart while I was waiting for the loving bus.

• Locked thread