Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

George Kaplan posted:

Is DDP big enough to get into the Hall of Fame some year?

I'd say he was, but only just.
Definitely, he was one of WCW's biggest non-nWo stars during the Monday Night Wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

George Kaplan posted:

I imagine that possibility would rise if WWE Network ever gets off the ground and they want to start hyping up more old WCW personalities.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Lone Rogue posted:

He was a total retard for not understanding that he was more valuable later than sooner.

Without a DDP and Booker T, I don't see the Invasion even happening.

Which is why he was more valuable SOONER. If the big names didn't sit out, then he would be valuable LATER when they wore out their welcome. But DDP was always going to be more valuable debuting when Hogan, Flair, Goldberg, etc were not there yet. He also couldn't wait around very long as he was in his mid 40s and it was his goal to make it in the WWF.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

George Kaplan posted:

He'll get in, I think, but as a secondary honoree (which is to say, he won't be a headliner, like JR / King, Rock, et al.).

Honestly, if WWE continues its trend of inducting 8 - 10 people every year, everyone who ever held a world championship belt will be in the Hall of Fame.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

MassRayPer posted:

Which is why he was more valuable SOONER. If the big names didn't sit out, then he would be valuable LATER when they wore out their welcome. But DDP was always going to be more valuable debuting when Hogan, Flair, Goldberg, etc were not there yet. He also couldn't wait around very long as he was in his mid 40s and it was his goal to make it in the WWF.

The truth is, WWF was never going to use DDP properly. There was money in Rock vs. DDP to fight over who was the true People's Champion but instead they went with Rock vs. Booker T since WCW 2000 tried to turn Booker T into a Rock rip-off.

DDP's most valuable time in the WWF was his midcard, Wrestlemania curtain-jerking feud with Christian. Not his time having high profile matches with Undertaker. There's a reason for that: the WWF just didn't see the value in him.

Therefore, if the top guys are all fighting real stars that the WWF would have no choice but to make look strong (Goldberg, Steiner, Hall, Nash, Hogan, etc.) that would leave DDP to fight the midcard WWF guys who are good enough wrestlers and respectable enough to DDP to have good feuds with him.

I was moreso jesting when I said DDP was dumb for what he did. He was following his dream. There's a little bit of stupidity in everyone when they do that, even if they accomplish it. I don't blame him for it. Everything I'm saying is just in hindsight. It's just Bill Goldberg was smart to do come in when he did, and even then, they really didn't use him to their full advantage. Wow, big surprise.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war
If the WWE is mainly targeting kids now, who exactly is supposed to be buying the PPVs?

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

Holland Oats posted:

If the WWE is mainly targeting kids now, who exactly is supposed to be buying the PPVs?

This might just be a joke post, but it's pretty obvious that when marketers market for kids, they are actually marketing for parents.

Trapjaw
Jan 30, 2005

Sup, Haddonfield?

Graic posted:

Koko B. Ware is in the Hall of Fame.

In some sort of vague fairness, the Ghostbuster is one of my favorite finisher names fuckin' ever.

Hirams Bitch
Oct 24, 2008

Trapjaw posted:

In some sort of vague fairness, the Ghostbuster is one of my favorite finisher names fuckin' ever.

Koko B. Ware had a finisher?

Koko B. Ware won a match?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CSammich posted:

Koko B. Ware had a finisher?
Monsters need something to kick out of.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

Perry Normal posted:

I find that hilarious in the same way racist jokes are hilarious- I can't believe someone is serious about it.

Scott Keith was such a bad reviewer that I stopped reading online wrestling reviews because I would just think about him and get angry whenever I did so. Seriously, I am getting angry again now just thinking about all the times I would watch an awesome pay-per-view, go check out Internet reviews the next day, and found Scott Keith ready and waiting with a "worst waste of time ever" style rant. Once CRZ stopped reviewing RAW, it was definitely all over.

El Duke posted:

Scott Keith will review loving anything as long as it's not a Nutrition Facts label.

:hfive:

Nut Bunnies
May 24, 2005

Fun Shoe
DDP wasn't an idiot for wanting to go to WWF immediately. He just didn't know what the past decade has shown us: Vince McMahon hates people who desperately want to get in or come back (DDP, Matt Hardy). If you pick up the phone on the first ring, you are hosed. It's the people who make Vince work for it and chase harder that get rewarded (Jericho, Goldberg, Hogan x2)

However, as mentioned he was old, the big stars were sitting out, and he really, really wanted to do it. I mean, everyone figured that there was no way the WWF could have hosed up the Invasion. It was too easy an angle to book, and they owned the competition so there was no reason to bury anybody.

Alas.........................

Nut Bunnies fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Dec 12, 2010

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

Captain Charisma posted:

It's the people who make Vince work for it and chase harder that get rewarded (Jericho, Goldberg, Hogan x2)
Maybe I am misremembering but Jericho's book made it seem like he signed as soon as they flew him in. Is that not how it happened?

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

ColeM posted:

Word was back in the day, that DDP wanted to work for the WWE and be a part of the invasion so bad, that he opted to take a contract buyout for 50 cents on the dollar. I'm sure he has regretted it ever since.

Word is that a lot of the wrestlers and agents backstage didn't think much of DDP because he couldn't call matches on the fly and thus he was mocked and buried by the locker room leaders I.E. Taker, JBL etc

Same thing happened to Mike Awesome.

Irony is that wrestling has moved more and more towards the DDP way of wrestling that the old call it in the ring style.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Atticus Finch posted:

Maybe I am misremembering but Jericho's book made it seem like he signed as soon as they flew him in. Is that not how it happened?

Don't let firsthand accounts or basic fact-checking (Goldberg was sitting on a Time Warner contract until May of 2002, for instance) interfere with a stupid myth.

quote:

Irony is that wrestling has moved more and more towards the DDP way of wrestling that the old call it in the ring style.

I'm not going to comment on whether these rumors are true or false, but guys still call spots in the ring all the time, Taker included, and it's something you need to be able to do in wrestling unless you're Randy Savage.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

Atticus Finch posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Jericho in the mid-aughts and not Jericho in the late-90s.

Holland Oats
Oct 20, 2003

Only the dead have seen the end of war

Lone Rogue posted:

This might just be a joke post, but it's pretty obvious that when marketers market for kids, they are actually marketing for parents.

It's a serious post. It's just that idea of parents spending $50 every month on a PPV just because their kid wants it is bizarre to me. My parents would have laughed me out of the house if I tried asking them for that. Buying your son a GI Joe figure is one thing but WWE PPVs are a pretty serious money drain.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Holland Oats posted:

It's a serious post. It's just that idea of parents spending $50 every month on a PPV just because their kid wants it is bizarre to me. My parents would have laughed me out of the house if I tried asking them for that. Buying your son a GI Joe figure is one thing but WWE PPVs are a pretty serious money drain.
Some kids are rich. Also a lot of kids have allowances, and if they save up they could probably pick and choose three or four PPVs a year.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Ziggy Tsardust posted:

If you want an AWESOME match between the two teams, check out the 2/3 falls match they had on their "Whole F'in' show" special episode of impact. It was a serious MOTYC.

It was a pretty drat good match, we watched it recently as part of a compilation. Not really a MOTYC in my mind, but considering the company they're in and the fact that one of the participants used to be the most boring, useless sack of crap in pro-wrestling it was pretty mind-boggling just how good it was.

Web Jew.0
May 13, 2009

elf help book posted:

WHO? People liked the promos but who in the world liked those matches?

the NoC match got an Honorable Mention here and I distinctly remember people saying that the HiaC was good but it's too bad the crowd couldn't tell what was happening with the urn at the end.

someone feel free to back me up here lol fess up now who liked the Kane/UT matches

Psycho Mantits
Oct 6, 2009

Web Jew.0 posted:

someone feel free to back me up here lol fess up now who liked the Kane/UT matches

I've enjoyed them all, but I am a loving eternal mark for both men, so take that for what it's worth.

TL
Jan 16, 2006

Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold; Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world

Fallen Rib

savinhill posted:

Definitely, he was one of WCW's biggest non-nWo stars during the Monday Night Wars.

I think he gets in this year because they're in Atlanta and probably want to do have some kind of WCW tie-in to the show. I've heard they were after Goldberg for HOF/WrestleMania earlier, a group of Goldberg, DDP, Arn Anderson, maybe a Lex Luger, Vader, and Ron Simmons would be a decent group.

Problem is, what do they do in a couple years for the HOF? Shawn Michaels is a sure thing, and I've heard Sting is a given when he finally retires, The Rock will definitely go in down the line. I'm thinking they might have to shelve the concept for a few years though, if only to wait for some of the current guys to retire.

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I'm not going to comment on whether these rumors are true or false, but guys still call spots in the ring all the time, Taker included, and it's something you need to be able to do in wrestling unless you're Randy Savage.

Pretty much. And even Randy could call things on the fly. Randy was just very involved in his matches. What always gets forgotten is that Wrestlemania for the most part is meticulously planned.

Holland Oats posted:

You have to consider inflation. When I was a kid, I got a $10 allowance every month. That amounts to $40. If I saved up my money or told my parents to hold it until the PPV and asked them to just toss in another $10, I probably could have afforded the WWF PPV's back in the day. That was with my dad's factory job that didn't make any more than $60,000. So today, the "working poor" families, I could see them affording it.

A friend of mine once told me how his son was a big wrestling fan and he had friends who were big wrestling fans. One of the sons parents had a big screen TV so they would all go over to his house and the parents would each chip in $10-20 depending on how many kids came for the PPV and food. Same as what a lot of people here probably do, but again, it's the parents paying instead of the kids.

All that said, I agree that the PPVs are money drains. I'm actually surprised the WWE didn't go the other way by skyrocketing live event costs and cutting down the price of PPV. I find that's how the music industry works now. $60-80 for a ticket to a popular act is loving ridiculous, but I guess it is the norm now. No wonder kids don't see live music much anymore, therefore don't appreciate it as much. I hope that never happens with wrestling.

rotinaj
Sep 5, 2008

Fun Shoe

TL posted:

I think he gets in this year because they're in Atlanta and probably want to do have some kind of WCW tie-in to the show. I've heard they were after Goldberg for HOF/WrestleMania earlier, a group of Goldberg, DDP, Arn Anderson, maybe a Lex Luger, Vader, and Ron Simmons would be a decent group.

Problem is, what do they do in a couple years for the HOF? Shawn Michaels is a sure thing, and I've heard Sting is a given when he finally retires, The Rock will definitely go in down the line. I'm thinking they might have to shelve the concept for a few years though, if only to wait for some of the current guys to retire.

I have a feeling they'll soon drop down to 2 or 3 guys per year inducted. Just to prolong the time period they can milk the late 90s.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

Lone Rogue posted:

That was with my dad's factory job that didn't make any more than $60,000. So today, the "working poor" families, I could see them affording it.

You have no idea what poor is. Making $60k in 2005 would make you richer than over 60% of American families. I use 2005 because that's when census data was released and it removes the excuse of THE ECONOMY!!!!

elf help book fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Dec 12, 2010

Paper Jam Dipper
Jul 14, 2007

by XyloJW

elf help book posted:

You have no idea what poor is. Making $60k in 2005 would make you richer than over 60% of American families. I use 2005 because that's when census data was released and it removes the excuse of THE ECONOMY!!!!

Ouch. Guess the US is doing worse than I thought. I honestly wouldn't start a family unless I was making around $60,000 total (and I haven't made over $20,000 any year in the past five soooo)

No Irish Need Imply
Nov 30, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Pretty sure he's talking about Jericho in the mid-aughts and not Jericho in the late-90s.
Oh, that makes sense.

chairface
Oct 28, 2007

No matter what you believe, I don't believe in you.

Endorph posted:

Some kids are rich. Also a lot of kids have allowances, and if they save up they could probably pick and choose three or four PPVs a year.

Me and my friends would all chip in. I mean, yeah, they were still like $30 even back then, but if six guys all wanna watch it, that's $5 each, which is about what movie tickets ran at that time so it was no worse than going to see a movie. Not exactly out of reach of even kids of modest means, provided they have some friends/neighbors who are least sorta into wrestling.

Sue Denim
Dec 20, 2009

rotinaj posted:

DDP wanted to work for the WWE very badly, and actually took a paycut to do so, gets pushed as a stalker and a creep and never sniffs the World Title.

Goldberg didn't want to work for the WWE, waited for his contract with Turner to expire, and then got a massive paying contract from the WWE. He gets pushed as a monster, is one of the few to ever defeat Evolution, wins the World Title, throws a baby tantrum and leaves the WWE.

Man, gently caress the WWE.
I watched WM X-8 today and watching that made me really angry at how the WWE treated DDP even though I'm not a fan. I don't think he got the push he deserved for the work he was putting in. No matter where he was on the card and how silly what he was doing was, he seemed to give it his all.

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

MassRayPer posted:

It makes me feel good that I didn't know that.

Also Scott Keith's MMA reviews are loving hilarious and possibly worse than his wrestling reviews are now.

How is this possible? I don't really know MMA all that well, so what's he that off base about?

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

rarely goes out and should never be approached

CombineThresher posted:

How is this possible? I don't really know MMA all that well, so what's he that off base about?

It's Scott Keith. I've never read his MMA reviews, but he can't write for poo poo, has awful jokes, and horribly wrong opinions. I'm guessing his MMA reviews are filled with that, just about MMA.

oldfan
Jul 22, 2007

"Mathewson pitched against Cincinnati yesterday. Another way of putting it is that Cincinnati lost a game of baseball."

El Duke posted:

It's Scott Keith. I've never read his MMA reviews, but he can't write for poo poo, has awful jokes, and horribly wrong opinions. I'm guessing his MMA reviews are filled with that, just about MMA.

Add in not grasping the finer points of the ground game, and you're pretty much dead on.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

CombineThresher posted:

When he was talking about the Cain/Lesnar fight he said how he said Brock shouldn't have tried standing with Cain. First of all, loving DUH. Everyone knew Cain's stand up was much, much better. Second of all, he didn't try to keep it standing, he took Cain down twice in the first 3 minutes of the fight and very obviously wanted this fight on the ground. Cain was just a better wrestler and immediately got back up and stuffed his other attempts. He wasn't trying to stand with Cain and only an idiot would think he was.

But doing a quick search for his other thoughts on the fight, I came across this:

quote:

But here’s the thing with Cain – he’s a legit former wrestling champion like Brock, but we’ve never really seen his wrestling in UFC yet. He’s been all about the standup, and as we saw with Carwin, Brock eats punches for breakfast and keeps coming at you.

This is by far the stupidest thing you could write about Cain. Cain had one major question coming into this fight: His chin. Why? Because he got lit up standing by Cheick Kongo and when he was in trouble he immediately took him down. He pretty clearly had just never watched Cain fight before Rothwell, and possibly before Nog and just decided that all of his other fights were the same. Cain was well known as a wrestler who had used his wrestling to great success. He was quickly adapting to other parts of MMA coming into the Nog fight, but the question was how quickly he was improving.

It'd be like if you watched Batista's last few months in WWE and then said "The man has never been a babyface in WWE so we don't know how he'd perform as one."

There is a lot more, but the Brock stuff stood out the most since it is not like he is an obscure fighter who it is difficult to understand.

MassRafTer fucked around with this message at 09:45 on Dec 13, 2010

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

jeffersonlives posted:

Add in not grasping the finer points of the ground game, and you're pretty much dead on.

Oops, forgot to add "doesn't understand the basic concepts of the medium he wishes to critique."

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

Lone Rogue posted:

Ouch. Guess the US is doing worse than I thought. I honestly wouldn't start a family unless I was making around $60,000 total (and I haven't made over $20,000 any year in the past five soooo)

60 grand a year is very comfortable for a family with 2-3 kids to live off of and have a standard middle class lifestyle. I don't know about the US, but in Canada 30 grand before taxes is the poverty line IE: the point where you can actually claim to be from a lower class family.

Just to put things in perspective, I'm a teacher with two degrees, and I can make $45,000-$50,000 a year if I had a full time teaching job(I just substitute and tutor right now). I'd get $60,000-$65,000 if I got my master's in education. Your dad was making as much as many people with a master's degree do, and more than a lot of people with two degrees.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:00 on Dec 13, 2010

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

60 grand a year is very comfortable for a family with 2-3 kids to live off of and have a standard middle class lifestyle. I don't know about the US, but in Canada 30 grand before taxes is the poverty line IE: the point where you can actually claim to be from a lower class family.

A 60k income for a five person household is not going to get you a middle class lifestyle in America. Being below the poverty line isn't "Lower Class," either. It's the point where lower class stops.

Zack_Gochuck
Jan 4, 2007

Stupid Wrestling People

El Duke posted:

A 60k income for a five person household is not going to get you a middle class lifestyle in America. Being below the poverty line isn't "Lower Class," either. It's the point where lower class stops.

It may be very skewered because I'm from the poorest province in Canada. The average amount a 4 person family lives off of here is $30,000. Someone talking about $60,000 and calling themselves "working poor" nearly made me do a spit take.

Zack_Gochuck fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Dec 13, 2010

lol but
Feb 24, 2007

body is a dinosaur
Slippery Tilde

Gonzo McFee posted:

Word is that a lot of the wrestlers and agents backstage didn't think much of DDP because he couldn't call matches on the fly and thus he was mocked and buried by the locker room leaders I.E. Taker, JBL etc

Did WWE wrestlers ever call it on the fly? Reading Brets book, it seemed like he pretty much always planned everything out in advance. Plus you have Patterson's rep for laying out matches, which seems to date from way back.

El Duke Silver
Aug 15, 2008

Magic_Ceiling_Fan posted:

It may be very skewered because I'm from the poorest province in Canada. The average amount a 4 person family lives off of here is $30,000. Someone talking about $60,000 and calling themselves "working poor" nearly made me do a spit take.

The debate won't matter soon because the middle class will be eradicated in the States and elsewhere soon enough.

And Thesby, matches were typically laid out as far as the major spots and moments and the ending sequence. Transitions and standard stuff (irish whips, shots into the turnbuckle, a body slam here, elbow drop there, etc.) were called and are called within the match. DDP would actually lay out almost the entire match, move for move. It's a really limited way of doing things that a lot of guys wouldn't like to work with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Role Play McMurphy
Jul 15, 2010
The middle class in major urban centers is like $100,000 or something absurd.